Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

isn't that the wolf creek dude?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
is soag even around? kill him off and string his corpse up to the ute

e: actually, chuck it in the passenger car and let's do a weekend at bernie's around town with him

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
This is the most interesting thing to happen in Canberra since, well

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

Shadeoses posted:

This is the most interesting thing to happen in Canberra since, well

years ago i drove to canberra from sydney to meet a mate who was going to uni there

drove down the major road, turned right a bit too early, worked my way through a couple wrong streets, and accidentally drove out of canberra

i pulled over and he came and found me and then that was about the long and short of it. every year the war memorial hosts a parade to commemorate it so nobody forgets how sorry they are for the confusion

good town imo

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

e: actually, chuck it in the passenger car and let's do a weekend at bernie's around town with him

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

oops i meant passenger seat but i just woke up and havent had coffee yet

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

David, sitting in the ute bench seat next to Frank yawns, stretching his arms up and then around Franks shoulders. He winks casually.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

"You ever been railed in a ute stacked on five other utes? I find the 6-fold suspension adds a certain romantic allure to the kanga bangin'"

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
:stonk:

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug
Soag's gonna be suspended from this scene. I'll have the results of the first round ready in a sec. Xylo let me know which way you want to run for cover - east, south, or ute.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Tirade posted:

Soag's gonna be suspended from this scene. I'll have the results of the first round ready in a sec. Xylo let me know which way you want to run for cover - east, south, or ute.

Haha. I wasn't going to be awake for another 4 hours but my kid woke me up like 5 minutes after you posted this.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Hey Tirade, with the manifestations does it take a turn to cast? Eg if I wanted to rage cold wind on one of the dudes can I hit him still in the same turn?

Also with caul grave dirt does that mean I'm immune to being knocked out from bashing damage and only have to worry about lethal or what?

edit: is that a whole turn to cast as well?

hambeet fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Sep 13, 2014

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug

Matthew Beet posted:

Hey Tirade, with the manifestations does it take a turn to cast? Eg if I wanted to rage cold wind on one of the dudes can I hit him still in the same turn?

Also with caul grave dirt does that mean I'm immune to being knocked out from bashing damage and only have to worry about lethal or what?

edit: is that a whole turn to cast as well?

I'm pretty sure that caul is an instant cast. Can't remember how rage or the caul specifics work, sorry. I'm busy enjoying Canberra's vibrant nightlife right now so don't have the books on hand, I'll get back to you later on tonight.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Roger! I can wait goond sir

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

I'm not sure how to curse people or how to use rage. I assume that you don't have to be within arm's reach to curse people, so I'm doing that for now. Assuming I can.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

I'm not sure how to curse people or how to use rage. I assume that you don't have to be within arm's reach to curse people, so I'm doing that for now. Assuming I can.

Woo woody's come in to save Dunstan.

I also forgot for a second you were here when I started getting my italian on. Feel free to correct my lovely ausitalian.!

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

haha

well im not really going to go around correcting people's italian, especially for an online dnd thing. its just a game we c00l

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

also im somehwat hoping that if it fails and i miss it fails spectacularly and you get set on fire

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Tirade posted:

Good stuff. Here's some details on your starting manifestations:

The Curse: Puts some long-term misery on a target. Costs 1 plasm to activate, lasts one day per success on your roll. You've got to touch your target to start it. You can put a trigger on the curse so that it doesn't start straight away, so for example "the next time you wake up", "the next time you see a Liberal politician", etc, but that's a bit more difficult than it starting straight away (you roll with a 2 dice penalty).

• Pyre-flame Curse: The 1-dot version stops your target from making fire. Lighters spark but don't catch, matches break when your target tries to strike them. If the target lights something from a secondary source (e.g. a bit of paper in a roaring fire) the flame dies as they watch. The 2-dot version costs an extra 1 plasm, and extends the fire-blocking effect to a range of about 3 metres per dot of psyche you have around the target. No-one can make any kind of fire in the target's radius, and existing flames go out.

The Rage: Straight up attacking power. You're essentially letting your geist off its leash, and it smites people with ghostly vengeance. Hits a target at a range of three metres per dot of psyche.

• Pyre-flame Rage: Wreathes the target in ghostly flames. The heat is psychosomatic while at the 1-dot level, will do a point of bashing damage per success.

Sulla, I think you've got your powers mixed a bit. Pyre-flame Curse stops the person from being able to make fires for the rest of the day and you need to touch them, Pyre-flame Rage lets you set them on fire at a distance.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Cock. Thanks for that, I had forgotten he had given us more information later on. I was looking at the brief summaries in the thread OP. I've sneakily edited it; he hasn't replied yet so no harm no foul I think

editx2: Just saw the 'three metres per dot'. Ugh one tick I gotta check my character sheet again

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug

XyloJW posted:

Sulla, I think you've got your powers mixed a bit. Pyre-flame Curse stops the person from being able to make fires for the rest of the day and you need to touch them, Pyre-flame Rage lets you set them on fire at a distance.

Yeah Xylo's right, rage is what you want. You'll need to get a bit closer as well, its range is restricted to a few metres at low levels. You either need to increase your psyche (Rage range is about 10 ft per point of psyche), or your level of rage to 4, which converts it into line of sight.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Cock. Thanks for that, I had forgotten he had given us more information later on. I was looking at the brief summaries in the thread OP. I've sneakily edited it; he hasn't replied yet so no harm no foul I think

editx2: Just saw the 'three metres per dot'. Ugh one tick I gotta check my character sheet again

Everyone starts at 1 dot in psyche, it's like a super saiyan level or something for geists and you're all newbies at the moment.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Okay well the character is quite good at running, he's got fleet of foot and speed etc. Is a pyre-flame rage quite quick to cast, in-world speaking?

I'm going to edit my post now to make a change, sorry

also just read that he speaks some french, better throw that in as well!

Sulla Faex fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Sep 13, 2014

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
Oh I forgot all about speed scores. Yeah, your character is the fastest and has the best reaction time. I'm pretty fast too, I'll have to keep that in mind.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug

Matthew Beet posted:

Roger! I can wait goond sir

Ok so almost all of the manifestations seem to be instant actions, so I'll allow you to rage a guy and try to beat him down in the same turn. Your restriction comes in with the amount of plasm you can channel per turn, which is bound by your psyche level - and with only 1 point in psyche you all have a limit of 1 plasm spend per turn. I'm also going to homerule in a "No multiple rages on the same target per turn" so that you guys don't become mindsnipers that instagib people if you have a bunch of points in both rage and psyche.

Regarding the grave-dirt caul, it will stop you from getting knocked out if, for example, old mate solidly connects with that pipe he's swinging at your head.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Okay well the character is quite good at running, he's got fleet of foot and speed etc. Is a pyre-flame rage quite quick to cast, in-world speaking?

Speed of thought. As above, your limitation is plasm-per-turn, which is currently set at 1.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Tirade posted:

Speed of thought. As above, your limitation is plasm-per-turn, which is currently set at 1.

Wait, as in I'm comparatively quite quick? Yeah get me in there, it's always easier to be brave when you have a solid shot at outrunning everyone there

excepting the guy with a gun and the loon with a ute

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

the loon with a ute

Straya

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Is there any mechanic to do more actions per turn ie. Rage in werewolf?

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug

Matthew Beet posted:

Is there any mechanic to do more actions per turn ie. Rage in werewolf?

Nope. There is however willpower, which xylo is going to use this round. Essentially it's a resource you can spend whenever you want to add an additional three dice to your dice pool. It's not easily replaced however - to get willpower back you'll need to do something that fulfils your virtue or your vice, but in such a way that it conflicts with whatever you or your group are trying to achieve. So someone with an 'unreliable'-type vice might agree to meet with the group but gets pissed at the pub beforehand and shows up drunk or not at all. Or if you help the chief of police to de-ghost his home, someone with the 'humble' virtue might turn down the offer of a favour that could have been called in later on. I really dig the mechanic as it gives you a much better chance of succeeding on critical rolls, gives your character some more depth and makes the story more interesting.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

So if the action might be dicey (hurr) I can use willpower to have more dice on the roll?

Actually yeah that does sound like a cool mechanc.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

I have approx a billion willpower. No1ce

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
Yeah I have 3. Oh well, my character's spineless, so it makes sense that he'll have to indulge his vice to get back willpower (cowardice).

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

I haven't asked yet, how do we level up our skills? If I want to sink more points into that rage pyre-flame, how does that happen?

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Tirade will dole out the XP for us as we go, probably after fights or scenes or accomplishments. Or stacking a ute.

If it works like werewolf then you purchase points of whatever using your XP.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug
There's a hypercomplicated way of tracking xp gain throughout each session, laid out over about half a dozen pages in the rulebook. Instead I'm just going to award everyone in the group a few xp after every few scenes.

Advancement costs are as follows:

Merit: 1xp per dot
Skill Specialty: 1xp
Skill: 2xp per dot
Attribute: 4xp per dot
Synergy: 3xp per dot
Willpower: 1xp per dot
Manifestation: 4xp per dot
New Key: 6xp
Psyche: 6xp per dot

You'll probably only get 3 or 4 xp at a time, so you'll have to bank them to get some of the more expensive buys.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug
I was hoping to get the next round of combat done this morning but didn't have time. I'll get to it this arvo.

Xylo what's your setup for storing notes, character sheets, and other assorted story stuff? I'm using Evernote for npcs and health / plasm / willpower tracking which seems to work fairly well, and a dice app on my phone.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Tirade posted:

I was hoping to get the next round of combat done this morning but didn't have time. I'll get to it this arvo.

Xylo what's your setup for storing notes, character sheets, and other assorted story stuff? I'm using Evernote for npcs and health / plasm / willpower tracking which seems to work fairly well, and a dice app on my phone.

I used notepad on my PC mostly. I had one notepad where I typed up everyone's stats and what powers they had so I could reference it as needed, and at the top I had commonly used rolls for all players (what each person rolled to punch, to sneak, to spot things). I had another similar notepad for NPCs, villains, and some premade stats for generic vampires, generic thugs, generic cops. I had another notepad for general game info—character ideas (Swires left evidence behind), potential plot hooks (vampire prince is covering for them?), things people did and when things are going to happen (JP returns to apartment Wednesday). On that pad, during combat, I wrote a one or two word description of what each player was doing (Jarrod running forward, Alf punching thug; turn 3, new bad guys show up) so I could easily see what was going on without searching the thread, and who I'm waiting on.

For tracking Rage, Gnosis, and Willpower, I had a simple tally app that worked really well. But then it got an automatic update and it erased all my tallies which basically was a nightmare and that's about when my game had to take a break. I don't know what's a good solution there.

And I used a dice rolling app (Natural 20 but that's iphone only).

I could generally run the game from my phone but combat always meant me having to be at the computer.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Find a other app that doesn't randomly wipe on updater( none should though, did you back your phone up on your PC ever?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Matthew Beet posted:

Find a other app that doesn't randomly wipe on updater( none should though, did you back your phone up on your PC ever?)

Nope. It was some small app with no reviews that just happened to meet my needs, but I've heard evernote is really good.

• Locked thread