Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Nope to hook up phone to PC? You probably should, normally it should backup app data unless its a badly written app. That way if you ever lose poo poo. Plug phone in and bang!

That's the benefit of iPhone.

Yeha I use ever note for everything, my wife and I just add to a central shopping list for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
Yeah, I rarely hook it up to my PC. It's my first smart phone and I haven't had it very long, so there's stuff I guess I'm dumb about.

All my technological know-how is solidly rooted in the years I was in high school, when I had time to keep up to date. I can tell you all about defragging your hard drive.

For Tirade, I don't know if this will help, but I basically used my notepads as very loose, very disorganized ways to arrange my thoughts and reference stuff. Here's a few snippets from my main note file.

code:
Perception+Alertness
splode/Doug	 - (4+2)=6
coq/Boon	 - (3+3)=6
bell jar/Jarrod  - (4+0)=4
hambeet/alf 	 - (3+3)=6
TBK/Selene       - (2+3)=5
bifauxnen/Raj	 - (4+2)=6
lizard c /Swires - (4+2)=6
Marvin		 - (3+2)=5

Wits+Engimas
splode/Doug	 - (4+0)=4
coq/Boon	 - (3+0)=3
bell jar/Jarrod  - (3+2)=5
hambeet/alf 	 - (4+2)=6
TBK/Selene       - (3+2)=5
bifauxnen/Raj	 - (3+2)=5*
lizard c /Swires - (4+0)=4

Jarrod: Spend a Rage to get there, spend two rage to use thunderclap [Diff 8: vampire: success. thug 1: success. thug 2: botch.
Selene: Going up ahead
Swires: Waiting for a target.
Marvin: Spending a Rage to get back up and into position, activating Heightened Senses [(4+0) diff 7. 1 success. Again to jump into position. 1 success.]
Doug: tries to fire again [(3+0) diff 7. 0 successes.]
Boon: Runs to South-side of building
Alf: Jumping to southeast container [(5+0) diff 6. 3 successes.]
Raj: Watches to see if the bad guys are about to shoot back

Wyrm Caern: Elanora Park, in the mangrove trees

Vampire night club: west end

Andrej Zdislav - Tzimisce - Wolffdene.

Adrian Santiago - St. John's Cathedral - Lasombra. 

fighting spirits:
willpower=dex/stamina
rage=strength
gnosis=mental/social
power=health

Fire spirit:
rage6, gnosis 5, willpower 5, power 30

pain spirits:
rage 4, gnosis 4, willpower 4, power 10

Things that've happened: 
Raj sent a letter to his parents. They'll receive it Monday.
	--Raj told his parents to back off
Raj contacted Glass Walkers, but they won't meet until JP is dead. They offer him a mission instead
JP will emerge from the Umbra on Wednesday and try to ingratiate himself back with his Bank
Selene will be HUNTED by the Sabbat now.

Calendar:
Tuesday: rescued by Blacktail, fought truckasaurus
Wednesday: arrived at Blacktail's, learned powers, JP escapes, Wendigo chosen
Thursday: SUV, fire spirit, BSd skirmish #1, hospital, hacking
Friday: research, looted silver

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug
Awesome, thanks.

Some spoilers in that except for werewolf game if you were planning to revisit it...

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Ooh Selene spoilers!

Also hambeets wits, hells yeah. :smuggo:

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
Nah, no spoilers. Seeing as how Selene dealt directly with a major Sabbat dude (Jet), and then tried to murder him, and then he escaped, I think it's pretty obvious she's got a big target on her head!

Although I guess y'all didn't know there was a vampire in the second car that Jarrod thunderclapped, and he wasn't affected by it at all. But otherwise, I only included bits that've already come to pass, to give you an idea of how totally loosely I had the whole thing planned/arranged.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

1) How about we take the living thugs somewhere more quiet
2) or do a quick interrogation here and leave them with smokes people?

I've got talking skills, and one other has talking skills I think.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

BCR posted:

Dunstan's happy for the talking to happen. He's not going to be the talkiest, but he's happy he jumped on a moving ute without losing an arm so we can draw a line under that part and talk.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
How do specialties work, by the way? I have a specialty in throwing, but I'm not sure how that factors into dice pool.

BCR posted:

That sort of thing might need to be done quick, since presumably the Royals are going to want that prisoner, and I bet one of them has to have weird mind reading powers.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Alright we'll go with leaving them with the royals. Saves on clean up as well :D

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
Oh fantastic driving by the way. Smashed the gently caress out of that one dude.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug

XyloJW posted:

How do specialties work, by the way? I have a specialty in throwing, but I'm not sure how that factors into dice pool.

Hah so you do. Fuckup no 3 on my part. A specialty gives you an extra die, so you should have rolled with three dice instead of two.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Thanks Xylo

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug
Goddammit Abbott.

*crosses out "death cult" plot line*

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Lol.

I hope you don't have some sort of guy Fawkes plot... Unless you like being raided.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
has soag actually gone AWOL from the auspol thread too?

for my part a project has gone tits-up at work and the deadline was yesterday, it had been extended to friday on my request, but ive had a deeper look at it and it's completely and utterly hosed so i'm making GBS threads bricks a bit

working approx 12-hour days trying to get it out, so closer to friday or monday if we extend it over the weekend (wont help me though, im already booked to go up to bologna this weekend and cant get out of it - 4h drive each way that i cant get back) i might be completely hosed and sleep deprived and having a nervous breakdown all up in here

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Mate, it's Italy, last minute poo poo is the norm. Don't sweat it, don't fix it. Hey boss, guess what. Last minute shot don't get fixed. Drives off on scooter, auports Lazio and eats pizza .

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
I know I take this poo poo too seriously. Even as I'm having like a low-key panic attack about it I remember all the other stupid freak-outs I've had about dumb poo poo over the past 10 years and know that in a couple weeks it won't matter. But during that week you're stressing it's poo poo

i think i'm in desperate need of a weekend off. and new career as a professional d&d ruiner

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug
Yeah I haven't seen soag post in ages, now I feel bad for making "banged up abroad" jokes :(

Work sounds shithouse Sulla, hope it doesn't get you down too much. I'd suggest alcohol but I'm finding that's not really a good solution long term. So, um, take BCRs advice instead.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug
Meanwhile, in a squalid Burmese jail

The policeman stands over soag, who looks panicked and afraid. In the cop's hand is a print out of a Something Awful post. It's soag's character sheet for Geistpol, detailing the final days of sexpat and drug smuggler David Pemberthy.

"So, 'David'. Explain again what you mean by 'semi-autobiographical'".

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
Well he posted in D&D Auspol yesterday. It was a tiny post so maybe he's super busy or his internet sucks.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Tirade posted:

The policeman stands over soag, who looks panicked and afraid. In the cop's hand is a print out of a Something Awful post. It's soag's character sheet for Geistpol, detailing the final days of sexpat and drug smuggler David Pemberthy.

lol

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Tirade posted:

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

i remember someone saying that soag wasnt on the fb group because he's worried about people being able to track him to his real name

i thought it was just blind optimism in assuming that his life had the potential to get worse

but maybe it's because he literally put half a kilo of coke up his bum and hopped on a plane and halfway through realised that his boss handing him a packet of condoms wasn't actually a pick-up attempt

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

ironically enough i keep winding up at gay bars and when people hand me condoms and wink at me i go 'okay sure but i dont do malaysian and it'll cost you $1000' and by the time i realise the misunderstanding i'm too embarrassed to point it out so i just run with it

has happened about 4 or 5 times now, i need to pay more attention

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Tirade posted:

There's a hypercomplicated way of tracking xp gain throughout each session, laid out over about half a dozen pages in the rulebook. Instead I'm just going to award everyone in the group a few xp after every few scenes.

Ahahahahahahahah Do they give you the whole "Story beats" thing in geist? God that gave me the shits. I took one look at it and said "nope!"

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug

LordPants posted:

Ahahahahahahahah Do they give you the whole "Story beats" thing in geist? God that gave me the shits. I took one look at it and said "nope!"

Kinda, it's in the GMC update which I'm trying to use wherever practical. Even though I'm seriously new to these roleplaying systems I think I get why they're doing it that way - it would be more meaningful if you're gaining fractions of xp every time you accomplish a small goal for your character. But it seems really focused on people who want their roleplaying to be more realistic, as opposed to the more casual vibe we have going in auspol games. Same with the social 'doors' thing, a mechanic that's designed to make social encounters as complicated as combat: sure, it means that your crafty manipulation of an NPC needs a dozen rolls and feels like you're contributing as much as the fighters. But on the other hand, I'm not going to try and introduce yet another stupidly complicated mechanic to manage long-term influence when I can do it on the fly.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I actually enjoyed applying my experiences from more airy fairy arty farty role playing games into WOD, because I get what they're going for but sometimes I feel that other priorities take precedent like you outlined.

Which is why it's cool that modern games often say "Here are our rules: use as little or as many as you like"

Also, they tend to outline the reasons why certain rules exist and why they think they make them fun which I think is a nice positive step for game design.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

how is the interrogation going to work? are you going to basically lead it in suggesting the salient questions and then we kind of just do dice rolls to see if our respective approaches work? i mean we could just start off with the obvious 'african vs european swallow' type questions but that could take all day

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Woodstock

"I'll do it. I'll be good cop. I'll good cop the poo poo out of this guy. By the time I'm finished with him we're going to be spooning in the park and feeding each other strawberries. Do you have any strawberries? No. Ok, that's ok. I'm not really hungry. Let's do this. I'm the good cop, yeah? Right on. Good cop. Good cop. Wait, what about my uniform? Oh no, I get you. Nevermind. I just confused myself for a second. I'm good, let's do this."
lmao

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

i worry that the dice might have been disproportionately lucky in passing the check to see if woodstock is too stoned to roll another joint

i know that's generally my indicator. like when you try to sip from the same empty beer 3 times in as many minutes before going 'well gently caress this, i'm drunk'

we'll see how it goes. i've still got that 'fleet of foot' attribute so if i do something embarrassing i can always just run into the bush

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

how is the interrogation going to work? are you going to basically lead it in suggesting the salient questions and then we kind of just do dice rolls to see if our respective approaches work? i mean we could just start off with the obvious 'african vs european swallow' type questions but that could take all day

To be honest I just wanted to give you guys a chance to ask a question or two rather than have Smoke immediately tell you to piss off. Good cop would be a persuasion + manipulation roll, bad cop an intimidation + manipulation.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug
Also this way you get all the fun of maybe getting a lead or plot point without the drawbacks of getting stuck with the hostage. Previous Auspol games have established that y'all aren't so great in that situation.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

I can't see char sheet because phone posting bit I think Dunstan has high empathy but only one intelligence so it was purely empathy that carried that roll.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Ok I will reply tomorrow morning

also it might not be out of character for frank to fail and Dunstan to succeed

its a subtle check for social awareness and Dunstan spends a lot of time managing dogs in a pack environment, so it makes sense for him to be good at that

and frank is American so it makes sense that he has no clue how to interact with people at sub-200 decibels

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Ok I will reply tomorrow morning

also it might not be out of character for frank to fail and Dunstan to succeed

its a subtle check for social awareness and Dunstan spends a lot of time managing dogs in a pack environment, so it makes sense for him to be good at that

and frank is American so it makes sense that he has no clue how to interact with people at sub-200 decibels

I'm Michael, BCR is Frank.

To be honest, though, I had to check the other day, because I forgot which boring name I went with.

Tirade posted:

Also this way you get all the fun of maybe getting a lead or plot point without the drawbacks of getting stuck with the hostage. Previous Auspol games have established that y'all aren't so great in that situation.

Hahah, true.

Matthew Beet posted:

I can't see char sheet because phone posting bit I think Dunstan has high empathy but only one intelligence so it was purely empathy that carried that roll.

Yeah, I have 1 Int, 1 Empathy. Worth a shot, though!

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

XyloJW posted:

I'm Michael, BCR is Frank.

To be honest, though, I had to check the other day, because I forgot which boring name I went with.

Hahah, true.

Yeah, I have 1 Int, 1 Empathy. Worth a shot, though!

1 int? Michael and Dunstan are like twins. Our new names can be tweedle dee and tweedle dum as we stumble from scene to scene.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Matthew Beet posted:

1 int? Michael and Dunstan are like twins. Our new names can be tweedle dee and tweedle dum as we stumble from scene to scene.

BCR's character and Soag's character both have 1 int, too. Fortunately, to guide this simpering lot of buffoons, we have Sulla's character, with 3 Intelligence, 4 points in Academics and 3 in Science.

As an insurance policy, though, I took the Common Sense merit. I don't know if it works the same way in New World of Darkness, but in Old World of Darkness, it meant that if I'm about to do something with disastrous consequences, the storyteller can straight up say "You think this is a bad idea" or "You think it'd be a better idea to do this other thing."

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

XyloJW posted:

BCR's character and Soag's character both have 1 int, too. Fortunately, to guide this simpering lot of buffoons, we have Sulla's character, with 3 Intelligence, 4 points in Academics and 3 in Science.

As an insurance policy, though, I took the Common Sense merit. I don't know if it works the same way in New World of Darkness, but in Old World of Darkness, it meant that if I'm about to do something with disastrous consequences, the storyteller can straight up say "You think this is a bad idea" or "You think it'd be a better idea to do this other thing."

Ahhh lucky. I went an academic Geist to hopefully let me play the "you get a stream of obscenities in italian that you can't translate, but get the general gist it's not a good idea" for story telling purposes.

Can't spell GEIST without GIST.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

I mean who needs int, when you got a magic ute :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

all that poo poo i said about struggling with work and 12 hour days etc has just gotten worse

the motherboard on my laptop (home pc, work pc, everything pc -- all my photos etc) has fried. dont think it'll be starting up again but i have a mate who's a pc repairman coming over in an hour to take a look

trying to get a dinky little 8" NSW DET netbook set up to continue development on the project that was due last monday

ha ha

ha

hahahaha

haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

anyway can you just assume i took a turn asking the guy whatever questions you're willing to answer

• Locked thread