Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug

A few months ago xylo suggested running a roleplaying game for Auspol. Turns out that roleplaying monsters and monster hunters is a really nice distraction from the horrible state of Australian politics, and so we currently have three two active games here in the Game Room.

Current Auspol games:
Xylo's Old World of Darkness Werewolf game / OOC thread

LordPants' New World of Darkness Hunter game / OOC thread :rip:

Cartoon's Dungeons & Dragons 1e game / OOC thread

This game will be Geist: The Sin-Eaters. Think "The Crow", except less angsty. Here's what wikipedia has to say about the concept:

Players portray Sin Eaters who have died and returned to the world of the living. Unlike vampires, however, Sin Eaters (also called the Bound) are not undead, but rather living beings bound to fundamental forces of death. Upon the first death, every Sin Eater is approached by a Geist, an embodiment of an aspect or personification of death. In exchange for being returned to life, Sin Eaters allow the Geist to accompany them, effectively merging into each other in a symbiotic relation with the "human" in control. Upon this return to life, the Bound discover that they can see and interact with the restless shades of the dead, and must choose what to do with their second chance at life. In all instances, Sin Eaters are forced to deal with the dead, whether through altruism, greed, or just the plain fact that the dead will not leave them alone.

Geist has an unavoidable focus on death, but in many ways it's a celebration and not as gothy as you'd expect. You've been given a second chance, which is a drat good reason to have a sunny disposition. There's themes of Carnivale and the Mexican day of the dead, and hopefully will be a whole lot less broody than some of the other World of Darkness lines.

:siren:Post in this thread to sign up. I'm taking five to begin with. We'll leave at least a week or so for character creation, as there's a bit more to it than Hunter / Werewolf. If I've done a poo poo job explaining concepts just ask for clarification.:siren:

Random Starting Info
  • The game will be set in Canberra, in 2012. This is Canberra as it exists in the World of Darkness rather than actual Canberra. So it's a bit more grimdark, vampires are real, ghosts exist, and there are conspicuously more goths around. Being Canberra I'm going to try and bring some politics into the story, but while the LNP and ALP are part of Spooky-Canberra, individual politicians are not. So no characters that are current politicians, and we're not going to go on a parliament house killing spree - that'd get stupid real quick, and also I don't need the federales asking me questions about why I'm writing fantasies about killing Tories.

• The history of Canberra obviously extends far back before the city was established, but the game is mostly going to focus on white people history. I'm nowhere near educated or sensitive enough to write about the Ngunnawal people or other indigenous groups who lived here at various times, and trying to draw in their history into a story about vampires, werewolves and ghosts would be both hackneyed and disrespectful.

• I have no idea what I'm doing. I last DMed a roleplaying game when I was ten and haven't played a trad game since, until muscling in on the Auspol Hunter game a few months back. Expect loads of fuckups in both storytelling and game mechanics. Because I'm new to this, I'm going to restrict it to five players - I'll take an extra one or two in later chapters if it seems like we're managing ok.

• Milky pointed out that Geist isn't very good, and the general consensus in the World of Darkness thread is much the same. Powers are a bit unbalanced and it's lacking in an innate "drive" that other flavours of WoD have. On the other hand, a bunch of people in the WoD thread also reckon there's a good game buried in here somewhere and after giving some thought to which would be easier to tell a story with, Geist wins out. Also that way if the game spectacularly falls apart I can blame the setting rather than my own failings.

• Don't hold back on having conversations between yourselves, particularly when there's disagreements as to the course of action. It will add some great depth to the game, as opposed to just a neverending series of posts saying "my guy does this" and me rolling for success or failure.

• There's a couple of concepts that I'll explain as we're playing rather than all at the start. Don't be worried if you don't really follow all the things you need to fill out in character creation. You'll have the chance to change things on your character sheet after the prelude.

• I don't have great access to the net at work so most updates requiring rolls or consulting of notes will happen in the evening.

Character Concept

It's best to come up with a general concept for your character first, before diving into the character sheet. There's four things you need to come up with: Your character's backstory, how he or she died, the geist that offered you the bargain as you were on the cusp of death, and the keystone it offered to "seal the deal": basically any object between the size of a coin and a car.

The game will be kicking off pretty much just after you are geistified, so your character's backstory is going to be important. Only restriction is not dying of old age. Examples:

- A libertarian bitcoin enthusiast sleeps as the mining rig he's running in the spare room overheats and sets fire to the carpet.
- A starving University of Canberra student spots a field of mushrooms growing around an oak tree, and decides to add a bit of flavour to her two-minute noodles.
- A junior political staffer on a bushwalking date is desperately searching for a way to impress his companion after the conversation dries up, and figures it's time for a freeclimbing display on a nearby cliff face.

The Auspol werewolf game has David Boon and Alf Stewart, while the hunter game is played a little more straight. I don't mind either way but if you're gonna be Ita Buttrose or Sergeant Croyden from Blue Heelers you'll still need to do roleplaying stuff like character development as the game goes on.

Your geist is a bit less straightforward. Geists are usually described as somewhere between a ghost and a god. Once bound, you'll feel their presence in the back of your mind, or see them when you close your eyes. They're not usually malevolent, just... alien. Although they once were ghosts, they've evolved such that they're more ghosts of ideas, of stereotypes, than of people. They'll occasionally try to get you to do things, and get upset if you do things that go against their nature. Examples:

- The Redhead. Sometimes images of geists leak back into the real world. The iconic picture on the matchboxes doesn't do her justice. The air around her hair shimmers like the heat radiating from the road in summer. Her gift of keystone was a box of the matches bearing her image, that never seems to run out.
- The Army Doctor. Since the bonding you sometimes hear the distant fire of artillery and screams of the wounded. His uniform dates to the first World War. An armband bearing the red cross hangs off his shoulder, covered in mud. His gift of keystone was a single wooden crutch.
- The Greaser. Like a caricature of every 1950's bad boy, The Greaser's hair is slicked back, and he's wearing a white t-shirt, jeans, leather jacket, and Ray-Ban Wayfarers. His face, however, is blurry, indistinct, and fire dances behind his shades where his eyes should be. When you picture him in your mind, his head is constantly nodding to the beat of music you can't hear. His gift of keystone was a red 1959 Ford Thunderbird convertible.

Once you've got your concept sorted, it's time to create a character sheet for Geist.

Step 1: Character info

The first few fields are for some basic information about your character. Name and player are straightforward, chronicle is AUSPOL GEIST, concept can be left blank unless you can sum up your character in two or three words (e.g. Bitcoin Enthusiast, Broke Student, Outdoorsy Political Staffer, Ita Buttrose). Leave Archetype and Krewe blank for now. Virtue and Vice give some depth to your character, and can be used as a quick guide for how your character might respond to a given situation. They also can be used for regaining spendable points like willpower but I'll explain that properly later on.

Example Virtues: Hopeful, Loving, Honest, Humble, Trustworthy, Loyal, Just, Ambitious, Peaceful, Patient, Generous, Courageous.
Example Vices: Pessimistic, Hateful, Deceitful, Arrogant, Untrustworthy, Greedy, Corrupt, Hasty, Cruel, Ambitious, Violent.
Or feel free to make them up.

A big part of a character in Geist is how they "died", as it directly influences how the character uses their powers. Your character's death will fall under one of these headings, called "Thresholds":

The Torn: Death by violence
The Silent: Death by deprivation (suffocation, starvation, etc)
The Prey: Death by nature (exposure, animal attack, drowning)
The Stricken: Death by illness
The Forgotten: Death by chance

Step 2: Attributes, skills, specialties

You start with one point in each attribute. The columns are grouped such that the first column is for mental attributes, the second for physical, and the third for social. You have extra dots to be spent in a 5/4/3 ratio across the columns, it's your call which column gets which value. We're playing God Machine rules so there's no additional cost to start with five dots in a particular attribute.

Skills work much the same way, except you start with zero points in each. The split is 11/7/4 across the three groups of skills. Double-click on dots to remove them if you've added one to a skill by mistake.

Specialties are chosen by you to represent particular areas of skill, and to give a bit more flavour to your character. They'll give you a slight bonus when you're doing that specific thing. So for example Larceny (Shoplifting), Crafts (Mechanic) or Investigation (Computer Forensics). Make up three, and write them in the free space at the bottom of the character sheet.

Don't get too hung up on how you've distributed your initial points, you'll have the chance to adjust your character after the prelude if you're not happy with how it's all working.

Step 3: Sin-eater specifics

Besides thresholds there's a few other sin-eater characteristics: Plasm, psyche, synergy, keys, manifestations and ceremonies. To try and simplify it a bit we'll leave ceremonies out for now, I'll introduce a few of them as the story progresses.

Plasm is the mana of Geistgame. You'll all start with 7, and will have a maximum of 14.

Psyche represents the strength of your character in doing cool sin-eater stuff. It governs how big your total plasm pool is, and how much of it you can use at once. Y'all are starting with a psyche of 1.

Synergy is the health of the relationship between you and your geist. An explanation will come in game. You start at 7.

Keys and manifestations go hand in hand to make your powers work. Manifestations are generic special abilities that Sin-Eaters can perform, while the key controls how the manifestation, well, manifests. So for example if you pick "The Caul" as a manifestation (which allows a Sin-Eater to transform his or her body in some way), and you own the "Pyre-Flame" and "Primeval" keys, you would be able to perform "Pyre-Flame Caul", which causes your body to generate light and extreme amounts of heat, or "Primeval Caul", which allows you to acquire animal traits and even animal forms.

You'll start with three manifestation dots, which can be spread across one, two or three different manifestations. There's seven different manifestations in total:

The Boneyard: allows the Sin-Eater to assert control over her immediate environment, usually by triggering “haunting” effects.
The Caul: permits the Sin-Eater to reshape his own body as needed, often in esoteric and frightening ways.
The Curse: enables the Sin-Eater to afflict her enemies with strange curses and ailments, and to subtly influence their minds.
The Marionette: allows the Sin-Eater to control physical objects, animals, and even other people, manipulating their bodies like a twisted puppeteer.
The Oracle grants the Sin-Eater heightened sensory powers, clairvoyance, and even precognitive abilities.
The Rage: represents the Sin-Eater’s power to strike at others with pure, unadulterated power.
The Shroud: governs effects that alter or improve the Sin-Eater’s own body in some way, most often as a form of protection.

There's ten keys in total, with two keys associated with each threshold, shown below. Pick one from your threshold options, and choose one which you think best matches your geist - it's granted to you as a gift from the geist's keystone.

Torn: Stigmata or Passion
Silent: Stillness or Cold Wind
Prey: Primeval or Grave-Dirt
Stricken: Phantasm or Tear-Stained
Forgotten: Industrial or Pyre-Flame

So yeah, that means there's seventy different key-manifestation combos, and each one has different effects depending on how many dots you put into it. I'm not going to post them all but if you ask after particular ones I'll post them. I'll also give full details for whatever ones you pick.

Step 4: Merits

gently caress, this is getting long. You get seven dots to throw at merits. If you want to pick from the full list you can do so by taking a look through the God Machine Rules Update, a free download. Otherwise pick from the following reduced list (Thanks LP!). Merits marked "Style" are a bit different: they usually have some prerequisites so you'll need to check in with me before you pick them, and each level is a different tactic and needs to be bought separately, and sequentially. So for example you'll need to spend six merit dots to get Parkour level 3, which gives you "Flow" (•), "Cat Leap" (••) and "Wall Run" (•••).

quote:

Mental Merits:
Common Sense (•••), (You can make me roll to see if I have to tell you what to do once a day, or I will have to roll and may have to tell you if you're doing something really stupid)
Danger Sense (••),
Direction Sense (•),
Encyclopedic Knowledge (••),
Eye for the Strange (••),
Holistic Awareness (•••),
Language (•),
Meditative Mind (•),
Trained Observer (• or •••)

Physical Merits:
Ambidextrous (•••),
Crack Driver (•• or ••••),
Double Jointed (••),
Fleet of Foot (• to •••),
Giant (•••),
Hardy (• to •••),
Iron Stamina (• to •••),
Parkour (• to •••••, Style),
Quick Draw (•),
Quick Healer (••••),
Sleight of Hand (••),
Small Framed (••)

Social Merits:
Allies (• to •••••),
Barfly (••),
Contacts (• to •••••),
Fame (• to •••),
Inspiring (•••),
Iron Will (••),
Pusher (•),
Status (• to •••••),
Striking Looks (• or ••)

Fighting Merits:
Choke Hold (••),
Close Quarters Combat (• to •••••, Style),
Defensive Combat (•),
Fighting Finesse (••),
Firefight (• to •••••, Style),
Grappling (• to •••••, Style),
Improvised Weaponry (• to •••, Style),
Marksmanship (• to •••, Style),
Police Tactics (• to •••, Style),
Street Fighting (• to •••••, Style)

Step 5: Maths
Armor is 0.
Defence is the lowest of your dexterity or wits.
Size is 5 unless you've picked either Giant (6) or Small-Framed (4).
Health is Stamina + Size.
Speed is Strength + Dexterity + 5.
Initiative is Dexterity + Composure.
Willpower is Resolve + Composure.

That's it. Any questions or anything, let me know here or via PM. Good luck!

Tirade fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Aug 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug

IronicBeetCriminal posted:

This looks interest, I'm going to read into it a little bit more before committing. Are you handling the rolls?

Yeah I'll do the rolls, will probably publish them like xylo's been doing unless there's a specific reason to keep 'em secret.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug

BCR posted:

Going for an alcoholic, social bush mechanic. Not sure if I've done all the points right. Never done a trad game before. Sooooooooo

Awesome. I'll have to tweak it a bit but that's a good start.

Also you guys have like a week to come up with characters, so long as you post to say you're interested you can take your time making a character.

Edit: BCR you can post the link to your character sheet in here, makes it easier to look at.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug

Bifauxnen posted:

BCR bush mechanic as a character? Oh this is gonna be great. :haw:

Can't wait to hear how he died.

It's in his description at the bottom of the character sheet ;)

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug
OK BCR you've got some points you can still allocate in your attributes. If you're going friendly bush mechanic I reckon you could add a point each to presence and manipulation which are both social (presence would be for how people react to you or pay attention to your stories in the pub, manipulation is getting them to buy the next round). Then you've got an extra point in the first and second columns, just pick whatever for the first column (either wits or intelligence), and maybe one to stamina to help with the alcohol tolerance?

For the skills on the left they start at zero, to show that you're actively poo poo at them. So drop the ones with 1 dot back to zero by double clicking on them, and re-allocate the points on a 4/7/11 split. If you want to keep them roughly the same I'd say 2 points in crafts and investigation (or even 3 in crafts and 1 in investigation, as crafts is your main mechanic skill), 4 in drive and 3 in brawl, and 11 points spread across the social skills.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug
Sorry I'm poo poo at explaining it. LordPants did it better in his thread so I'll just copy/paste. You start with one point in each attribute, then add extra points to each column. They don't label the columns on the sheetgen website but the columns group up mental, physical and social attributes, like so:

code:
		[MENTAL]	[PHYSICAL] 	[SOCIAL]
[POWER]		Int	•	Str	•	Pre ••

[FINESSE]	Wit    	••	Dex	••••	Man ••

[RESISTENCE]	Res    	•••••	Sta	••	Com ••
So in this example I've added 5 dots to the mental column, 4 to physical and 3 to social.

Same principle applies for the skill column on the left hand side, except you start with zero in all the skills and add 11/7/4 points to the three groupings.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

I think I did it?

http://sheetgen.dalines.net/sheet/35930

There's some stuff I don't understand like you didn't explain what I put for FLAWS, and I don't know what these merits or the keys do etc. I guess if you just tell me what I need to fix and I'll learn as I go.

e: Sorry I forgot to specify some stuff about the geist at the bottom.

Oh poo poo yeah um leave flaws blank I don't know what they do yet either. They've not come up in LP or Xylo's games.

I mentioned I'm new to this, right?

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug
That looks good Sulla. Drop survival down a point, pick a language, and add a second key. One is associated with the keystone (so pyre-flame works well with the nazi lighter), other one comes from your threshold, which means Industrial I guess.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug
Good stuff. Here's some details on your starting manifestations:

The Curse: Puts some long-term misery on a target. Costs 1 plasm to activate, lasts one day per success on your roll. You've got to touch your target to start it. You can put a trigger on the curse so that it doesn't start straight away, so for example "the next time you wake up", "the next time you see a Liberal politician", etc, but that's a bit more difficult than it starting straight away (you roll with a 2 dice penalty).

• Pyre-flame Curse: The 1-dot version stops your target from making fire. Lighters spark but don't catch, matches break when your target tries to strike them. If the target lights something from a secondary source (e.g. a bit of paper in a roaring fire) the flame dies as they watch. The 2-dot version costs an extra 1 plasm, and extends the fire-blocking effect to a range of about 3 metres per dot of psyche you have around the target. No-one can make any kind of fire in the target's radius, and existing flames go out.

• Industrial Curse: The 1-dot version will gently caress with the target's use of technology, usually in a malevolent way. Computers suddenly become infected with malware, tools break down or slip out of their hand, brakes in cars fail. Any man-made tool they're using becomes useless, so for example equipment that normally gives a bonus (e.g. a cop's polygraph machine, which normally gives +3 to their rolls on interrogation) now give no bonus. The 2-dot version costs the same 1 plasma, but equipment now gives an equivalent penalty rather than bonus (so -3 if the cop uses the polygraph machine).
The Rage: Straight up attacking power. You're essentially letting your geist off its leash, and it smites people with ghostly vengeance. Hits a target at a range of three metres per dot of psyche.

• Pyre-flame Rage: Wreathes the target in ghostly flames. The heat is psychosomatic while at the 1-dot level, will do a point of bashing damage per success.

• Industrial Rage: This one is used against material objects rather than entities. You can either use it to damage and potentially smash objects, or supercharge a man-made item to do extra damage in combat.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

To be clear that I'm not loving up the lore or the point of the game, is it acceptable to have a Sin-Eater (?? are we literally eating sins; there's no mention otherwise of judgement or redemption etc) that clashes directly with the personality of the Geist that has brought him back to life? My thinking was that I'd have a weak character who is ostensibly a hippy and peace-loving but who is underneath it all terrified of their own mortality and thus easily tricked by a vicious, manipulative, hate-filled Geist. So while he tries to do the right thing there is still that undercurrent of Geist-borne rage that can take over at critical moments.

I don't know I just read the initial thing and decided that it wouldn't be very interesting if there's no conflict between the reborn and the geist.

That's how I'm reading it. The Geist isn't in control but it's definitely got its own agenda, so your character will sometimes feel weirdly compelled to do something. There's nothing in the sourcebook that talks about how that should work in practice though. I'm tossing around ideas as to whether it should be a little bit more concrete. An idea I could swipe from a different area of the book is a geist-enforced ban and duty: one thing that you must do, and one thing that you must not. So for example as part of the resurrection deal your geist could have Ban: Singing and dancing. Duty: Throw Rocks At Cops. Woodstock will feel strongly compelled to follow these rules if the situation presents itself - he can overrule it as he's ultimately in control, but he'd risk the synergy he has with the geist.

The flipside of homeruling this in is that it adds yet another mechanic to monitor.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug

XyloJW posted:

Okay, so, can you clarify how it is we are reborn?

Do we come back to life instantly? Do we wake up in the morgue a day later? What I'm getting at is do our characters have to find a new life? Are there tons of questions from friends/loved ones/witnesses about how they saw us decapitated or why the cancer completely disappeared when we were on our deathbed or what?

I've got a few ideas for characters, but if they died in a public way, that could make it awkward.

You don't need to start a new life. For those that die and come back after having some horrible disease they often have some minor local fame - "you're that miracle cure guy I saw on the TV, right?" There's some flexibility as to when you come back - anywhere from seconds after you die through to a day or so.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug

XyloJW posted:

How long after our first death will the game be taking place? My character will have died quite publicly and in the moments after his death, he'll have wanted to escape and keep his real identity quiet. Are we starting right after death, and I should leave that escape up to how you/the dice decide, or is it going to be a day or two later?

I was planning to kick it off a day or two after you come back, with a generic "an unseen force has guided you to this location" type deal, but we can play your character out from the start if you'd prefer. Just remember that for limb-detaching levels of death your rebirth happens pretty drat quickly - life - ending wounds patch themselves over but you could well have a bunch of bashing damage. "Not dead" doesn't necessarily mean magically healed.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug
That's a really neat concept. Expect a load of "aren't you that astronaut?" coming from random strangers - a local boy dying in the skies above the city is absolutely going to be a front page news item.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug
Up to you, I think we could make it work as is. The denials might get a bit old, but on the other hand it's likely to be a throwaway opening line for most people - unless they know about geists no one is going to seriously think you survived.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug

XyloJW posted:

I updated mine a little too, changing my keys from Primeval and Passion to Primeval and Stillness, and increasing Shroud to 2 and decreasing Oracle to 1.

So, does that mean that I have Primeval Shroud 1 and 2, Stillness Shroud 1 and 2, Primeval Oracle 1 and Stillness Oracle 1?

Yeah that's right. I realized that I should have posted a better description of the keys so people aren't picking them blind but I didn't want the op to be even more confusing.

Also the descriptions of manifestation and key combos runs for forty pages in the source book, and there's another twenty on ceremonies that I'm ignoring for now. Do the writers of these things get paid by the word?

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug
Someone asked what the gently caress Sin Eaters actually are. The idea dates back to some cultures where when someone is dying, a sin eater would perform a ritual where by consuming food and drink in the house, would take on the sins of the dying person, allowing the spirit to pass on. It's used in this game to represent the fact that you're going to be spending a fair amount of time dealing with ghosts unwilling or unable to move on, and taking on the burden of solving whatever is keeping them tied (or righteously banishing them back to the underworld, but that all gets explained later). Wikipedia has more if you're that interested.

In short it's a really terrible name and I'm mostly going to use the term "the bound" instead.

Soag if you wanna change up go ahead dude, I'm not planning on starting until at least the weekend. I actually figured you guys would take a few days to get your concepts squared away but most of you had things rolled up within a few hours.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug
Oh yeah I'm doing all the rolls. I'll make the results public, same as how xylo's doing it in the werewolf game. I'll keep track of poo poo like plasm and willpower too to make things a bit simpler for you guys. Evernote + a dice app means this shouldn't be too difficult.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

btw my guy has the power to control other characters and everyone around him at will and also he's secretly an immortal god in human form and also he can stop time and go back in time to right wrongs committed to him and also uh uh uh he has uh a magic thing that lets him do magic

As I was whining about the pages and pages dedicated to describing what each manifestation does, I couldn't help thinking that there are players out there who would know it all off by heart, would have figured out the most game-breaking powers and would play each game exactly the same way, and would spend hours arguing with the DM about the definition of "harm" in paragraph 7 of page 193. I'm actually happier that most of you guys don't know the rules.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug

Hey tirade did you check out my char sheet yet to make sure I did it right?

Sorry man I don't remember - I'm going in to Guardians of the Galaxy in half an hour so I'll check it when I get home.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Are we supposed to be working together or are we doing things separately or do they intersect but with the potential for conflict or what?

You'll mostly be working together, sometimes splitting up. The Bound have a tendency to group up with each other, but it's also a practical consideration - if you're together we're posting at a roughly equal rate, if you're separate I've gotta match your, soags and beets combined posting pace and gently caress that.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug

the dog is because it's a werewolf crossover.

poo poo, i should have made my character die in 96 in brisbane whilst spectating an illegal cage fight

Hunter thread is also set in 96, I had my guy hint that his puppy-loving, legal aid worker brother up in Brisbane started MMA and hasn't been heard from in weeks. No-one picked up on it :(

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug
Your character sheet is all good Beet.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug

Tirade posted:

Eddie

Eddie spent a long time thinking about the events at Nhill. One on one, these things are gonna loving slaughter us, he thought. Only way we're going to have a chance is to organise. As his opa always used to say, there's strength in numbers. But who to trust?

Eddie immediately thought of his brother, Danny. Of the two of them, Danny had always been the dependable one. Where Eddie had rode a decade-long wave of mild alcoholism and casual barwork, Danny had worked in Queensland's Legal Aid, championing the cause of some of the most disadvantaged people in the state. He spent his spare time volunteering at a local animal shelter.

Danny had recently got involved in mixed martial arts, despite being one of the most gentle people Eddie knew. He'd told Eddie that he fought in order to conquer his twin fears: his fear of getting hurt, and his greater fear of hurting others.

Eddie didn't really know much about the terrors he'd be facing, but he knew enough about how society works to realise that it's always the most vulnerable that bear the brunt of those with power. With his formidable reputation and connections throughout the legal and political circles, combined with his fighting prowess, Danny would be an indispensable asset in the fight against the darkness. Now if only the guy would pick up the phone, Eddie thought. He hasn't been answering in weeks.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug
Yeah no worries Soag, I'll do some prelim stuff with the others and you can join in when we get to the first real scene.

Oh and I'm gonna change your geist slightly, they're supposed to be more along the lines of archetypes, or the "ghosts of ideas" than actual gods. So your sexpat can't have allah as a geist, but can have a pious imam, a sufi dervish, something like that.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug

XyloJW posted:

Sulla: my werewolf game is like, cartoonish and exaggerated, so I don't know if it'd be a great signifier for how this game will go, in terms of what to expect.

This game is probably gonna turn out to be a cross between x-files and scooby doo. It's not going to go too gothy but I'm hoping to work in some of the weirder snippets of Canberra history, which should be easy enough when you're playing games about ghosts.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug

BCR posted:

By the sounds of it, you could just go full on American Gods the book.

The setting of American Gods is pretty much spot on.

Geists are slightly different to the gods in the book though, as they were at least once human rather than gods who have lost their power. It's a pain in the arse concept to explain without copying pages from the handbook, but think of them as ghosts who are part human remnant and part... something else. Ghosts in World of Darknessland usually have either unfinished business that keeps them hanging around, or are tied to "anchors", objects that had special meaning like a marriage ring, the casing of a bullet that killed them, etc. that similarly prevent them from passing on. Geists have figured out a way to replace their anchors with some kind of icon, becoming tied to an idea, or archetype, rather than to an object.

It's frustrating because everyone knows what a werewolf or vampire is, but this is something the writers have created pretty much from scratch. I think it's one of the reasons why the game was relatively unpopular, but on the other hand should make things a bit more flexible as the story progresses, because we don't have any preconceptions as to how these things are supposed to work.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug
Ok BCR there's a couple more changes to your character sheet and we're good to go. The three things you listed in merits work more as specialties - let's say mechanic (+1 on fixing cars), bar storyteller (+1 to expression and socialize when drunk), and alcohol tolerance (alcohol penalties reduced by half).

That frees up your merits, so pick a couple from the list in quotes in the OP, for a total of seven dots. If you want explanation on any of them just let me know.

For "Keys", you've picked Industrial which is good for your truckgeist, you also get another from your threshold, which would be Pyre-Flame.

Finally, under Manifestations you should have a maximum of 3 dots, so drop it back by one. Your character is showing Boneyard but you mentioned in one of your other points you wanted to throw them into Rage instead? Up to you, Boneyard is an interesting "sense and influence things around you" and works out to a hundred metres or so at Rank 3.

I'll do a final check of everyone else's sheets in a sec.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug
I'll put up the thread in a few hours, you'll all be separated to begin with. I'm gonna nudge you all towards the same place a day or so of game time after we start, only thing I'd ask is that you play along and don't actively ignore the prompts to get you to meet up (aka the "JP drives to Sydney" clause). You'll be free to do your own things once you've initially made contact with each other.

Soag your guy's gonna be on hold, we'll drop him into the story when you get back.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug

BCR posted:

Mate I'm going to be a social character that will try to talk his way around problems, with the option of running things over in a ute. With the ute I want to be able to drive over people, and also have a spiritual version or whatever materialise and drop on their heads.

Whatever you think works with that I'll have. I'm not precious, and obviously put whatever limits you think are reasonable. One ute drop a day, or harden ute is half my magic, etc.

Works for me. Your gift of keystone was a rusting ute that somehow still runs. Merits can be Crack Driver (••), Barfly (••), and Hardy (•••).

Here's a bit more in-depth rundown on how the keystones work:

Keystone Rules

Just beyond the realm of the living is what's called "Twilight" - a place where ghosts and a few other critters hang out. It's exactly the same as the real world except insubstantial, which is why ghosts normally pass straight through doors, walls, other people. As one of the bound, you can see things in the twilight and occasionally interact with them. Your geist lives in the Twilight as well, and the various Manifestations you use are fuelled both by your plasm and the power of the geist pushing through to the real world for a short time. Ghosts do the same thing with their various haunting-type things - making blood run from the walls, moving things about, etc.

So your keystones usually exist in the Twilight as well, in the care of your geist. For the smaller keystones (i.e. everyone's except BCR) you can pull them into the real world and push them back to the twilight with a thought, and many of the bound carry their keystones on display in the real world. Ghosts, geists and the bound will immediately recognise a keystone for what it is. You can never actually lose or destroy your keystone: If you lose it in the real world, recalling it to you is simply a matter of pushing it into the Twilight and pulling it back out, and if it's destroyed it will sit in the twilight for the rest of the scene.

Additional BCR Death Ute Keystone Rules:
Bringing a large keystone into the real world requires a bit more effort. 1 point of plasm to bring it in, then it will stick around for the remainder of the scene before fading back into the Twilight.
You can't materialise it somewhere where there's already something solid, so it won't work in confined spaces, nor can you solidify it through another person.
You can materialise it over someone's head, but they've got a diceroll to try to move out of the way.

Tirade fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Aug 17, 2014

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug

XyloJW posted:

Oh, so 90% of the time, his ute won't exist in the realworld, but he can summon it at any time and it lasts a scene.

For Sulla, Soag, and BCR, these kinds of games use "scene" as an abstract unit of time. It's basically like a scene in a movie. It lasts as long as the action is going on or until we cut away to something else. A scene can last anywhere from a couple minutes to several hours, depending on what you're doing.

Yep, although there's nothing saying that he can't also have a regular ute to complement his spirit ute.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug
Thread's up.

I got all overly descriptive for each player's opening scene, but from here on it's up to each of you to figure out what's next. How do you feel? Do you try to engage with your geist, or do you try to pretend like nothing happened? Remember except for Xylo you've got friends and family, a life in Canberra, and you're all very much alive, so you're not going to [immediately] pile into the Mystery Bus and head out looking for adventure. That comes in a day or so.

I'll also go through and post more detailed descriptions of remaining manifestation choices in a sec.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug
Sorry to do this so early in the game but I'm not going to be able to get to responding to the others until tomorrow - got smashed at work and then date night with the missus so I've not got notes etc. on hand.

Couple of admin things - for personal possessions for everyone except Xylo I'll accept anything within reason. Regarding health, the game's got a slightly clunky way to measure how much damage you take, but I won't go into it until it becomes something we need to deal with. As mentioned in the thread, feel free to voice your geists in your posts: it'd probably be a pain to manage both if we were playing this in a sit-down session but I think it lends itself nicely to play-by-post. I'll jump in with additional geist prompting once I've got a handle on the game.

Awesome first posts by you all btw - sulla don't worry about post length. Some of the best parts of the hunter thread (before it apparently died :( ) were towards the end when everyone was more comfortable with the characters and started to go longform.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

I'll just write a short post to keep things rolling, but for future reference can I confirm what the go is with people acknowledging you as sin-eaters in-game? For e.g. that guy in Beet's, and the driver in mine; are they geists? Can they directly influence factors in the 'real' world without the aid of a medium such as us? Are they other sin-eaters?

I suppose our characters are as ignorant as we are so we can deal with that, but I ask because my character's geist is a piece of poo poo skinhead and you've chosen a non-white guy for the car driver photo. I'll let it sit for now and just do a short one but I wanted to confirm whether my geist would recognise the guy using the term 'sin-eater' and thus not accost him.

Yeah both the others that have shown up are sin eaters as well, flesh and blood. The way I'm playing it is that for now your geist recognizes them, later on you'll learn other ways to recognize them yourself. Sin eaters are still free to be antagonistic towards one another and I intentionally picked a non-white guy to see whether your geist's hatred extends to other sin-eaters or not - it's up to you whether your geist tells you it's a sin eater and is grudgingly respectful, goes on a racist rant, or intentionally doesn't tell you anything and stays silent in the car.

Once your characters are a bit more comfortable with what they've become I'll be more explicit when you come across various ghosts, unbound geists, other sin eaters, but for now I'm keeping it vague because none of you really know what's going on.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug

Beetfauxnen posted:

Sorry, will reply soon in thread, just trying to work out how i'll weave my geist into my future behaviour. I kind of picked the two without thinking about it in depth beyond dunstan = simple scientist=smarty pants

Don't get too stressed about it. We're all adding geist voices in our posts during the setup (and that's made it already play out a bit differently than I'd expected) but they're honestly supposed to be mostly quiet passengers who have no real control. I'm happy for geists to have as big or small influence over their respective sin eaters as each player chooses, and I'll only give voice to them for major story reasons or to nudge your character towards noticing things (like the boneyard for dunstan before he knows enough to recognise one himself, or the noticeboard post for xylo).

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug
This issue is actually one of the reasons why geist doesn't have a great reputation. Your character dies, is offered a faustian bargain by a terrifying ghostly power, is reborn with a bunch of superpowers, and then... not much. According to the manual your geist had zero control once you accept the bargain. There's nothing that drives you to be a spirit of vengeance for the dead, a vehicle to expand your geist's power in the real world, a guardian of the boundary between life and death, or any of that poo poo. There's nothing actually stopping Dunstan from ignoring the odd voice in his head and seeing out the rest of his new life walking more dogs.

It's much less of an issue for this game since we're not super serious roleplayers - for us this is as much a way to creatively shitpost longform as it is trying to understand and give form to character motivations, explore grey areas of morality etc.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug
Ok cock-up number 1 spotted. Xylo you may have been confused by the fact that the date on the notice board message was a few months prior to when the game is set. That was a bit of a boo-boo, it's been updated.

Don't even know how that happened.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug

XyloJW posted:

Oh no, I guess I misread the month. I even scrolled up to check the date and realized the funeral would be tomorrow night.

Also after considering it, I'd like to change my keystone from a compass to a knife. Does our keystone relate to our Geist or to us? Would it be more in-line with things for it to be an aircraft survival knife, a swiss army knife, or some kind of jungle explorer's knife?

All good. Keystone relates to the geist, it's a gift from them to you as a way to formalise the contract.

Soag I'll add your guy in shortly, just need to figure out the best way to bring you in.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug
BCR I'm not ignoring your turn, but you're currently a day ahead of the others so I'm gonna give them a few more posts to catch up.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug
Sorry beet that's a massively played out gag but I couldn't help it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug
No worries Sulla I'm not really fussed about posting speed for now. Work's been busy anyhow so it's probably best haven't been too distracted by running the game.

• Locked thread