Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

ChairMaster posted:

Just leave when the stupid poo poo starts up, ain't no reason you need to stick around for that.

I've done this once with my family and it worked. Simply stood up and said "One of the nice things about being an adult is that I don't have to put up with it when I'm talked to like I'm a child." then I left.

EDIT: Just for context, I was meeting my parents/girlfriend for dinner and I came directly from work, I had been doing cable runs in our warehouse (I'm an IT dude) so was wearing some pretty ratty jeans (Actually had mostly gotten torn a bit while doing the cable runs, so they got ratty while I was at work, not dirty just a little torn up). Going home to change would have been an hour round trip so wasn't going to happen in time, and immediately I got dressed down because my jeans had tears in them "I can't believe you would present yourself in your workplace like that/no son of mine would blah blah" no chance given for explanation and any explanation rebuffed so the dressdown could continue. I hadn't lived with them for 10 years, I simply didn't have to put up with that poo poo anymore so I didn't. Sorry mom, 98% of my job is in a nice cushy office where I can wear business casual. The other 2% is unfortunately dragging cat5 between a pair of concrete piles that snag and tear my jeans I wore specifically so I wouldn't trash a suit.

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Aug 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread