Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
horribleslob
Nov 23, 2004
Sometimes people are crazy. I often just feed their delusions.

For example, if they're a religious nutjob, instead of appealing to their higher faculties like reason and logic I just placate their insane beliefs.

"Salaam malaykum"
"Thanks God"
etc

If they're racist I'll just let em be racist. What's it to me? I'm supposed to change everybody's opinions all the time? If somebody is being racist I'll just be like "yah man totally". Just nod and agree like some idiot.

This applies to any kind of bigotry really. You know how those ladies get, am I right folks? Am I right??

Politics. Same thing. Let em believe whatever it is they already believe. It's not your job to change their opinion. Odds are they don't vote anyway. You think I wanna waste my life explaining the intricacies of the I/P conflict to somebody who can't be bothered to look up the history themselves before they form their opinion? Like Mac Dre said, "it's not my job."

Let your family be pieces of poo poo. See them every so often, be as nice as possible, then go back to your life where you choose your friends and neighbors.

Don't date bitches and don't make rear end in a top hat ignorant friends. Become ruthless with the time you spend with people.

But when it comes to your family/people you can't change/those you just meet, just let em act however it is they act. Unless they have a legit intellectual curiosity, you cannot make them change their perceived personalities problems.

hth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

horribleslob
Nov 23, 2004

Tiggum posted:

This is a really bad way to go. That just encourages them to continue. If you call them out on it it probably won't change their opinions or anything, but they'll learn to avoid those topics while you're around. The goal isn't to make them agree with you, it's to make them shut up.

lmao we got a live one.

stoop kid's afraid to leave his stoop! stoop kid's afraid to leave his stoop!

stoop kid's afraid to leave his stoop!!!

just let em be as they are. it's not YOUR RESPONSIBILITY to make people align to your world view. it's NOT YOUR RESPONSIBILITY. furthermore it's not your right either. your world view is completely irrelevant and you should not impose it on others.

you have no right to go up to people and tell them how to feel. even if you think you do you don't.

if you do that you must accept the consequences (including your family members disagreeing and yelling at you.)

you cannot go around and further your agenda (eg. counseling your family) without their consent. you will get tired and angry and make threads on the internet.

go back to e/n where reality is not a consideration. i don't even know if you post there BUT YOU PROBABLY DO.

don't change your mind. it doesn't matter if you do. live your life.

hth

horribleslob
Nov 23, 2004

spwrozek posted:

I do this though. I live and work in Denver but travel to Texas for work a lot. Guys I work with will call you Jewish for not going out to save money, every thing is 'gay', they will refer to blah black folk as stupid n.... Etc.

I still have to come back and work with them every few weeks, so I just nod and smile or go uhhhhhh OK. I think it is pretty obvious I think it is wrong or whatever but they are going to be who they are. The thing really is that I don't care though so why bother. Doesn't offend me.

i can't teach you how to change your parents' minds over the internet but you're prolly doing it wrong -- let em believe, man.

people change their minds all the time, often spontaneously. what can you do

how many times you gonna attempt the impossible.

some people out there want their minds changed and those people are called scientists.

your bigoted father is probably not a scientist. you're just pissing him off with your facts and figures.

horribleslob
Nov 23, 2004

spwrozek posted:

My dad is a cool guy from Michigan??

What are you talking about?

srry i wasn't talking about you, just speaking generally.

• Locked thread