Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eaterofpoptarts
Oct 7, 2013
Repost from the VW/AUDI Q/A thread, wasn't able to get any help there.

I've looked in several VW-tech forums and haven't been able to find a solution. Sorry if this has come up and been answered before.

I own a 1995 Golf MK3 2.0 5-speed, over 200k miles on the chassis. Don't know the exact mileage because the speedometer randomly quits working and you have to hit the dashboard a couple times to get it to come back. Recently replaced the 2.0 myself with a lower mileage engine. Anyway, when you press the gas pedal it suddenly loses almost all the power and wants to die. It feels like it's bogging down, and when you press it to the floor the RPM's drop almost to 0 then rev way back up.

The car has a new fuel pump and fuel filter, they were the first things I tried replacing. I have tried UN-plugging the MAF sensor as I've heard this could be the issue but it still acts the same way.

Went out last night and dicked with the engine some more. Disconnected the O2 sensor, still have the same issue of bogging down. I held my hand behind the exhaust and it seemed OK so I don't think it's the Cat. Got to idle without dying by pinching off a vaccuum line near the front with vice grips. Took it out in my neighborhood and it seemed to be running fine but when we got back home to let it idle some more then check the status, the issue came back.

Reconnected the O2 sensor and seafoamed the engine. A lot of smoke came out but it still has the same issue when you press the gas pedal. Also thanks to the sea foam I found out I have an exhaust leak. When I pulled on the throttle the car revved fine, but when I pressed the gas pedal inside the issue returned.

Now it's happening when the engine is cold as well. If you would like any more videos or info please ask.

Any suggestion you may have would be awesome since I'm out of ideas and I wanna get this poo poo can running.

VIDEO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbbohzXfQm8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Betacord
Mar 24, 2013

7 DAYS / 1 PROGRAM
Have you checked the system for any fault codes? Take the ashtray out and then slide the plastic out to the side and you should see the diagnostic connector. If you've not got the equipment, you can get the cable on eBay cheap and I think the software is freeware. It'll probably not give you the exact answer, but it'll give you a better idea of where the problem lies.

Eaterofpoptarts
Oct 7, 2013
Just tried but our OBD reader conveniently only goes to 1996. I'll be ordering that cable tonight.

*EDIT*
It's an OBD1 port, which explains why it doesn't work on our OBD2 scanner. Also do you have a link to that software you were talking about?

Anyone have any more suggestions?

Eaterofpoptarts fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Aug 12, 2014

drzrma
Dec 29, 2008

Eaterofpoptarts posted:

Just tried but our OBD reader conveniently only goes to 1996. I'll be ordering that cable tonight.

*EDIT*
It's an OBD1 port, which explains why it doesn't work on our OBD2 scanner. Also do you have a link to that software you were talking about?

Anyone have any more suggestions?

You should be able to jump two pins in the OBD1 connection or other diagnostic connection and have the ECU blink any fault codes. I found a VW technical bulletin that describes it for ABA engines but wants a VW diagnostic tool. I don't have a MKIII Bentley manual handy but that should have the codes and may tell you how to get them without the VW tool.

Eaterofpoptarts
Oct 7, 2013
A friend of a friend told me that it could be the Engine coolant temperature sensor, which is only $7 at auto zone. Worth replacing even if it isn't the issue since it's so cheap. I'll update this tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eaterofpoptarts
Oct 7, 2013
ISSUE RESOLVED!!!!!!

A $7 part at auto zone later I have a perfectly running engine, better than it ever has before thanks to the seamfoam as well. Note to everyone, if you have this issue with your MK3 Golf or Jetta, replace the Coolant Temperature Sensor!

• Locked thread