Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
http://www.xperteleven.com/?lid=285422

Feel free to apply for a new team.

:ducksiren: SEASON STARTS October 30th. JOIN NOW FOR A NEW TEAM! :ducksiren:

*Updated 10/26/2014*

Congrats to Bucketbuck for winning both a cup and a leagu title!

Want to play? Go sign up using the details below and choose the option to take over an existing team or create a brand new team. We are between seasons so now is the perfect time- the next season will likely start by June 6th. Join now!

Honour Roll - Previous and Current Champions of Serie Goon (aka the soap targeting system)

Season 1 - Langley Spooks - Destrado
Season 2 - Sardine FC - CamoesSA
Season 3 - Langley Spooks - Destrado
Season 4 - FC Go Fast - shivermetinkers
Season 5 - Langley Spooks - Destrado
Season 6 - Langley Spooks - Destrado
Season 7 - Sardine FC - CamoesSA
Season 8 - Olympique Merderoi - Hardflip
Season 9 - Sardine FC - CamoesSA
Season 10- The Numpties - Bucketybuck

CUP WINNER: The Numpties - Bucketybuck

:siren:The Goon Guide to X11 - Read this new people for some great advice:siren:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ssuLN54-EBrVfFAutsiGZTKuYGWjQSHeHp_iUWHayPA/edit

Basic Information

Xpert Eleven is a football manager game where you manage a fictitious football team. The thought behind the game is that you compete with your friends in a league that you create yourselves. You manage your team/teams in good times as well as bad. Your tasks consist of selecting your team and working out some cunning tactical moves. You don't need to know anything about soccer at all and the game is designed to only take up about 15 minutes of your time twice a week at a minimum. You may find yourself enjoying it so much that you spend a few hours trying to find that perfect transfer, though...

One fun part of the league is press releases- it gives you a chance to smack talk your opponents and write how your team is full of winners who just constantly get screwed by RNG poor cirumstances. Also you get money every week you write a press release so just do it!

Xpert Eleven also has VIP, which thankfully gives you absolutely no advantage over regular players. However, it does give you access to neat stats and charts where you can truly understand how hard your team chokes under pressure.

Also, you can rename your players to whatever idiot gimmick you want. I do get final say on names so no, you can't name your entire team "Weedlord Bonerhitler".

Goon League Information

We're in the second iteration of the Goonship League: http://www.xperteleven.com/?lid=285422. We’re in season 10 of what will be going for at least 15+ seasons. Seasons last about 8-10 weeks and there is plenty of time for a new team to get their youth going and turn into a bunch of superstars. The top flight has seen a lot of turnover and teams that have been in the lower leagues have made it all the way to the top.

The previous league played for 20 strong seasons and we had a blast. Rivalries were formed, broken, and soap was had for all.
Feel free to invite non-goons but be sure they're a good fit. Most of the poo poo talking happens on the forum too, but that's their loss.
I check the game daily so team approvals shouldn’t take too long. If for some reason I’m slacking post in this thread!

Need more information?

We have an IRC channel here:

Server: irc.synirc.net
Channel: #soccergoons

Most of us idle there most of the time but if you stick around you will get answers to your questions. We're a friendly bunch.

There is an FAQ here: http://www.xperteleven.com/faq.aspx

The rules of the game: http://www.xperteleven.com/ruler.aspx?RuleID=34

:siren:The Goon Guide to X11 - Read this new people for some great advice:siren:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ssuLN54-EBrVfFAutsiGZTKuYGWjQSHeHp_iUWHayPA/edit

Housekeeping
Long term inactives (3 weeks + of no activity) will be cleaned between seasons. This may affect promotion/relegation sometimes but I think it's the best way forward. Health of the league over promotion/relegation correctness.

:siren:We are currently in between seasons - apply now to take over an existing team or start your very own brand new one!:siren:

Soaping Form Guide

:siren: SOAP ANYONE WHO'S WON A LEAGUE TITLE :siren:

Previous Threads
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3638431
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3602737

Participate!

Write cool things! Stories! Maybe this time I'll do something with the league! :v:

Enjoy!

Dragongem fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Oct 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Fantastic game, goons on the fence jump in.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Looking forward to the next season, especially since my Disgruntled Alcoholics somehow managed to barely avoid relegation from Serie Goon for once. I think if I hold on for one more season I might finally have a chance at finishing in the top 3 since I'm actually starting to get a decent midfield.

Rapner
May 7, 2013

Wow, I drew against Bucketybuck with my lovely team. I hope that was your reserves mate.

quote:

KCER FC has shown interest in your player Uwe Mehle and has made you an offer of 500 000 econ. The club thinks the player would fit in well in their team

Shep, go gently caress yourself with a rake. I think it would fit well in your lower intestine. :argh:

shep
Aug 31, 2003

I am sad because I am stuck with no bacon in the middle of the ocean.

Rapner posted:

Wow, I drew against Bucketybuck with my lovely team. I hope that was your reserves mate.

Shep, go gently caress yourself with a rake. I think it would fit well in your lower intestine. :argh:

Hahaha, I was wondering how badly you would take that offer!

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Oh, dammit, youth academy, why are you throwing a 3-skill guy at... wait. Kid's only 16? Huh. Okay, this might be doable...

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
How are we looking team numbers wise? I think it might be worthwhile to add a few dummy teams to RN to bring them up to the same numbers as the other divs to avoid the 'finish a month before everyone else' issue. I'd figure even playing against inactive teams is better than no game at all, right?

Rapner
May 7, 2013

Vando posted:

How are we looking team numbers wise? I think it might be worthwhile to add a few dummy teams to RN to bring them up to the same numbers as the other divs to avoid the 'finish a month before everyone else' issue. I'd figure even playing against inactive teams is better than no game at all, right?

As someone affected by this issue, I agree 100%. Both from the fun angle and DV whoring angle.

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

You only need one new team. Only RN-A had that issue this season.

Baby Cakes
Nov 3, 2005

I AM BECOME DEATH
Who needs that half a million soccerbux anyways? Thanks for nothing transfer list. You can keep your poor compatibility easily injured divas.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Oh, dammit, youth academy, why are you throwing a 3-skill guy at... wait. Kid's only 16? Huh. Okay, this might be doable...

Meanwhile I got a 19/4 with one mediocre SQ. :sigh:

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Meanwhile I got a 19/4 with one mediocre SQ. :sigh:

The 16/3 has no SQs, which is why I'm thinking of trying to use him rather than selling him; looking at the transfer market I could maybe get a million or two but nothing like the mega-paydays I could get out of a guy with any SQ. Still, he's a midfielder, and I have the sneaking suspicion that SQs are more valuable there than in most positions... eh, fuckit, I'll list him at a high asking price and see what happens.

e: or, actually, I'll talk myself out of it when realizing that my midfield is getting up there in age, dammit.

allsizesfitone
May 7, 2007
People never notice anything.

Vando posted:

This isn't a bad idea - just about every full division last season had an absentee DV piñata at the bottom of the table (I'm looking at you, Como FC). We have 49 active managers right now, though, so all divisions could have 7 teams; or, we have 62 total teams, so six could be nuked to make an even 8 per division, evening out the schedule and leaving slots for newcomers to take over or replace absentee teams.

Baby Cakes posted:

Who needs that half a million soccerbux anyways? Thanks for nothing transfer list. You can keep your poor compatibility easily injured divas.

I started a new team in one of the official leagues (Hattrick, I think), and this has been my experience. The market is full of dross.

Baby Cakes
Nov 3, 2005

I AM BECOME DEATH

allsizesfitone posted:

This isn't a bad idea - just about every full division last season had an absentee DV piñata at the bottom of the table (I'm looking at you, Como FC). We have 49 active managers right now, though, so all divisions could have 7 teams; or, we have 62 total teams, so six could be nuked to make an even 8 per division, evening out the schedule and leaving slots for newcomers to take over or replace absentee teams.

I started a new team in one of the official leagues (Hattrick, I think), and this has been my experience. The market is full of dross.

There needs to be an option where you can either pay X soccerbux to individually review players yourself or pay a larger sum of soccerbux to have a scout look for talent that is guaranteed to match your criteria AND is good compatibility or better.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.
Can I drop out? I honestly forgot about my team for basically the second half of last season.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

allsizesfitone posted:

I would very much like to not *reduce* the number of teams per division given that we haven't had any kind of warning and I might have about 13m worth of bids in for players on the basis of being promoted to SG...

allsizesfitone
May 7, 2007
People never notice anything.

Vando posted:

I would very much like to not *reduce* the number of teams per division given that we haven't had any kind of warning and I might have about 13m worth of bids in for players on the basis of being promoted to SG...

That's that; slap on one more team to make all divisions have 9 and Vando's off-season spending remains justified. This plan works, too.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Honestly, I think the absentee teams are a self-correcting problem; they'll all filter down to Retu, where they will serve as easy pinatas for the Retu teams to improve upon so that they can move back up to the divisions where all the fun happens.

Think of them as an investment in the future!

Rapner
May 7, 2013

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Honestly, I think the absentee teams are a self-correcting problem; they'll all filter down to Retu, where they will serve as easy pinatas for the Retu teams to improve upon so that they can move back up to the divisions where all the fun happens.

Think of them as an investment in the future!

Those retu teams get less dv however, making them more likely to stay competitive over time.

Given you can't get dv from friendly games, the only fair fix is padding in my opinion.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
We'll see who joins and I can make some new teams.

We're basically at 50 people who have logged in within the past week. I'd like to have as little disruption as possible so I'm not kicking anyone or anything, I will try and even it out.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Dragongem posted:

We'll see who joins and I can make some new teams.

We're basically at 50 people who have logged in within the past week. I'd like to have as little disruption as possible so I'm not kicking anyone or anything, I will try and even it out.

Impeach Dragongem.

Rapner
May 7, 2013

quote:

K.C.E.R. MFC has shown interest in your player Uwe Mehle and has made you an offer of 500 001 econ. The club thinks the player would fit in well in their team

I have a present for you.

:argh:

The Sweet Hereafter
Jan 11, 2010
So when is the new season actually likely to be starting? Am I safe to form train now or am I suddenly going to find the effects wiped out on Monday?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

It looks to me like the form and DV stuff is already reset. It shouldn't reset again.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Yeah right now you want to be form training and running friendlies until your average form is 14-15+.

Anyone know if doing $50k for friendlies is worth it? I assume by their playing better their form will increase more but I've never really seen how it works without the win bonus.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I thought friendlies no longer affect form? Or was that DV?

Baby Cakes
Nov 3, 2005

I AM BECOME DEATH

bees everywhere posted:

Yeah right now you want to be form training and running friendlies until your average form is 14-15+.

Anyone know if doing $50k for friendlies is worth it? I assume by their playing better their form will increase more but I've never really seen how it works without the win bonus.

not worth it really. Save your money.

Rapner
May 7, 2013

VelociBacon posted:

I thought friendlies no longer affect form? Or was that DV?

Friendlies do affect form, typically negatively. You don't do them to gain form, you do them to change the form trend.

Best practice is to run a single friendly after the change report. The reason you do this is to cheaply change the form trend arrow. After the change report typically all your form trends will be negative - you want them to be positive or at least neutral to start the new season with decent form. By doing the friendly, you can cut your form training expenditure from 16 x 130,000 to perhaps 5-6 x 130,000.

Friendlies do not give you DV. The only things that gives you DV are league and cup matches.

The only other reason to do friendlies is to work on your players teamwork rating. Given the costs in form and form training, this isn't really worthwhile.

The Sweet Hereafter
Jan 11, 2010
I was mainly asking because I didn't want to do a load of form training yesterday that would end on Sunday, only to find their form hosed again after a game on Monday. Doesn't matter now cos that wouldn't affect it any more, so I shall set them on their merry training way tonight.

e: that is to say, I know DV etc have already reset, but we didn't the actual new season started yet and if Dragongem clicked the button for games to start on Monday I'd potentially have wasted another million or so on training.

bucketybuck
Apr 8, 2012

Rapner posted:

Best practice is to run a single friendly after the change report. The reason you do this is to cheaply change the form trend arrow. After the change report typically all your form trends will be negative - you want them to be positive or at least neutral to start the new season with decent form. By doing the friendly, you can cut your form training expenditure from 16 x 130,000 to perhaps 5-6 x 130,000.

I'm still undecided if this is the best way to do this, ie:playing a friendly before the form training finishes.

After the change report you will have a lot of red arrows. Your theory is that the friendly changes the form trend to positive/neutral, then the form training finishes and increases the form further. But don't forget, your players will be playing that match with a negative form tendency, so while the trend might change you are also putting their actual form right into the toilet.

To illustrate, before the match a player has 10 form and a red arrow. After the match he has a green arrow but now his actual form has gone down to 5.

The alternative is to let the form training finish and only then play the one friendly, I'm starting to think this might be a better way to go.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
I just don't play friendlies (mostly because I'm lazy) :v:

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato

Vando posted:

I'd love to make a bunch of bullshit gimmick teams to stink up RN, hopefully the X11 admins wouldn't care. "Jekyll and Hyde FC" alternates between fielding a decent squad and eleven no-skill no-teamwork catastrophes. "Bargain Bin FC" buys its entire squad with the starting million income, "Real Young Madrid" is U17s etc etc

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Hey, gonna give it a few more days. Official season starts 8/21, will set league on 8/20

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
Yeah the off-season is the best part of this game, thanks for the additional time :thumbsup:

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

ephex posted:

Yeah the off-season is the best part of this game, thanks for the additional time :thumbsup:

Your insolence is duly noted :v:

I also blame the fact that I was super swamped last weekend so I didn't have any time to make fake teams.

Baby Cakes
Nov 3, 2005

I AM BECOME DEATH
Finally found a youth on the transfer market with exactly the skills I want but with piss-poor compatibility and about 1 mil more econ than he's actually worth. Now the question is do I blow the cash and work with poor compatibility for a whole season hoping I can get him to 16 DV or just save it and continue to wait for my 5-star youth academy to spit out what I want.

Destrado
Feb 9, 2001

I thought, What a nice little city, it suits me fine. It suited me fine so I started to change it.

Dragongem posted:

I also blame the fact that I was super swamped last weekend so I didn't have any time to make fake teams.

A note that apparently X11 logs IPs from accounts and might get uppity about dummy accounts, apparently some guy ran a dummy account scam in the league's past life and ended up banned.

It might be better to just leave a certain number of inactive teams in and pruning down without kicking their managers like NoArmedMan used to do.

bucketybuck
Apr 8, 2012

Baby Cakes posted:

Finally found a youth on the transfer market with exactly the skills I want but with piss-poor compatibility and about 1 mil more econ than he's actually worth. Now the question is do I blow the cash and work with poor compatibility for a whole season hoping I can get him to 16 DV or just save it and continue to wait for my 5-star youth academy to spit out what I want.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the compatibility of youths under the age of 19/20, by the time they have gained enough skill to make a difference to your team the compatibility will have sorted itself anyway. Personally I wouldn't pass on any good youth because of compatibility.

Baby Cakes
Nov 3, 2005

I AM BECOME DEATH

bucketybuck posted:

I wouldn't be too concerned about the compatibility of youths under the age of 19/20, by the time they have gained enough skill to make a difference to your team the compatibility will have sorted itself anyway. Personally I wouldn't pass on any good youth because of compatibility.

It doesn't matter because it turns out I forgot to bid and the deadline passed :goku:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato

Destrado posted:

A note that apparently X11 logs IPs from accounts and might get uppity about dummy accounts, apparently some guy ran a dummy account scam in the league's past life and ended up banned.
It was before my time but from what I've been told some goon was secretly running three teams, all of which had active subscriptions so he could do direct transfers between them, two feeder teams giving their best players to the main one for cheap. They'd act dumb whenever any of them were called on it but it happened enough that the assistants asked X11 to look into it and sure enough they were all run from the same IP. They don't like it, but I don't think they're going to actively police accounts in some tiny private league

• Locked thread