Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rapner
May 7, 2013

habeasdorkus posted:

I'll be taking over the Blue Shift, as it seems to be the only available club.

I'll also be pulling a Dons and moving them to Wrexham. Obviously.

Welcome!

Coincidentally, I just started managing Wrexham in the Championship League, which is one of the biggest public leagues in the game.

I could talk to the admins about handing it over to you if you want. I'm just using it as a learning league, and aren't particularly married to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Oh, the lads! You should've seen 'em running!
Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

WALKING DOWN THE MANNY ROAD, TO SEE THE BURNDEN ACES!
Just applied to manage the Dragon Kickers, been far too long since I last played, hopefully I'll win a game!

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I applied to take over Minions. I've played X11 a few times. I think I'll just stick to Serie Goon this time so I don't get burned out (not that there's so much to do...).

tadashi fucked around with this message at 16:56 on May 6, 2015

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
All new teams have been approved!

habeasdorkus posted:

I'll be taking over the Blue Shift, as it seems to be the only available club.

I'll also be pulling a Dons and moving them to Wrexham. Obviously.
Not gonna lie, I'm hoping the habeasdorkus effect brings in more managers. At first I'd only opened the strongest teams so this may have slowed down applications some, but I've opened a bunch of the lower-league ones up and new members can now run such prestigious clubs as "Cash For Kids FC" and "autism". They'll be boosted, and have names changed in the likely event managers can't do that midseason.

The Sweet Hereafter posted:

Quick question - if you promise a certain amount in your match win bonus, then spend all your money, will it cancel the win bonus or send you into negative econ if you win? I'm curious because the econ total doesn't refresh unless you refresh your screen so I've accidentally done this.

e: Actually it looks like it doesn't matter - I thought the first game was tomorrow but it's actually Thursday. Still curious though!
The only way I know of to get into negative econ is to bid money on transfers and then blow it elsewhere. A lot of players take advantage of this in the preseason by bidding on players then spending the money on form training; they go into debt and can't buy stuff for a week or so, but everything is ready in time for kickoff.

bucketybuck posted:

Was a decision made about whether this league continues past season 20 or not?

If that is even a possibility I think it should be clearly stated, as it has some massive implications for squad building decisions. I think ending after S20 would be a very bad decision, but whatever the choice now is the time to make it.
I'll give this its own post in a little while.

TKBomber7285
Feb 20, 2011

ForeverBWFC posted:

Just applied to manage the Dragon Kickers, been far too long since I last played, hopefully I'll win a game!

Wonderful, at least I get to face a fellow rookie/Super-Leaguer in game 1. Looking at team strength I'd say your team is good for the league though it looks like you need some younger guys if possible.

Zanziabar
Oct 31, 2010
So, out of curiosity is there any way to go about renaming players?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Zanziabar posted:

So, out of curiosity is there any way to go about renaming players?

I think you can do it with VIP. I'm not certain.

ChrisXP
Nov 25, 2004

"In football, time and space are the same thing."
Between the Sack and Transfer list option on the right of a player's screen is a change name field. Pretty certain it needs mod approval.
Although I am VIP.

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

TKBomber7285 posted:

Wonderful, at least I get to face a fellow rookie/Super-Leaguer in game 1. Looking at team strength I'd say your team is good for the league though it looks like you need some younger guys if possible.

Well, that went better than expected! I think the better players are because the team got relegated last season, but there's been no money in the academy for a while by the looks of it! Plus, gently caress you for injuring players in the first game!

TKBomber7285
Feb 20, 2011

ForeverBWFC posted:

Well, that went better than expected! I think the better players are because the team got relegated last season, but there's been no money in the academy for a while by the looks of it! Plus, gently caress you for injuring players in the first game!

While you're here I might as well ask. How did you prepare your team for a formation? I've been looking for that since I seen it in the match write-up and have been unsuccessful.

EDIT: Never mind, I just found it right under defense strategy.

TKBomber7285 fucked around with this message at 20:09 on May 8, 2015

Zanziabar
Oct 31, 2010

VelociBacon posted:

I think you can do it with VIP. I'm not certain.

Thanks for this man, much appreciated. I had a few other questions

Are Hidden/Special qualities given to players from when they're first generated by the game or can they develop over time? Is there any way to influence it?

Further, the guide states there is a performance penalty for fielding a team under 25 or over 29 respectively. What does this penalty look like exactly?

space pope
Apr 5, 2003

Zanziabar posted:

Are Hidden/Special qualities given to players from when they're first generated by the game or can they develop over time? Is there any way to influence it?

Further, the guide states there is a performance penalty for fielding a team under 25 or over 29 respectively. What does this penalty look like exactly?

Hidden and special qualities do not change. You can't lose them or gain new ones.
As for average age i think it's about 95% of peak performance for +/- 1 year and then scales down to like 70% of ability for +/- 5 years.

bucketybuck
Apr 8, 2012

Zanziabar posted:

Check out this link for some info on the avaerage age rule!

http://www.xperteleven.com/xpertdaily.aspx?DartID=3180&S=1&lang=EN

ChrisXP
Nov 25, 2004

The only SQs that develop over time are the 'Loves Club' (red heart) and 'Club Legend' (gold heart) ones that give small performance improvements after X number of games. Youth academy players automatically start with the red one.

Zanziabar
Oct 31, 2010

ChrisXP posted:

The only SQs that develop over time are the 'Loves Club' (red heart) and 'Club Legend' (gold heart) ones that give small performance improvements after X number of games. Youth academy players automatically start with the red one.

space pope posted:

Hidden and special qualities do not change. You can't lose them or gain new ones.

So accordingly, if say a 19/5 has like 5-6 traits from spawn that would make them considerably rarer than a 19/5 that has no traits? I ask because my goalkeeper has some pretty phenom traits and finding him a successor in seasons to come seems like it would be quite the challenge.

space pope
Apr 5, 2003

Zanziabar posted:

So accordingly, if say a 19/5 has like 5-6 traits from spawn that would make them considerably rarer than a 19/5 that has no traits? I ask because my goalkeeper has some pretty phenom traits and finding him a successor in seasons to come seems like it would be quite the challenge.

Yes. Not all traits are good but special traits seem to push up the price on the transfer market.

bucketybuck
Apr 8, 2012
A lot of SQ's are just money makers in my eyes, if you are developing a player to sell on in the future then visible SQ's are golden. Header and speed for defenders, intelligent and shooting for midfielders, goal instincts for strikers, players with those SQ's will go for well above market value. And of course the daddy of them all is the Freekick quality.

If you are keeping the player long term, then skill level beats any number of SQ's, with the exception of the Hard Trainer.

To illustrate, if I get a 17/5 from the youth academy tomorrow then thats a great youth that I might develop. But if its a 17/5 with Freekick? Then my best option becomes sell the player for loads of cash and reinvest it into 2/3 other players and loads of training.

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Whoever manages the Brighton Youth Firm, I'm sorry!

The Sweet Hereafter
Jan 11, 2010

bucketybuck posted:

To illustrate, if I get a 17/5 from the youth academy tomorrow then thats a great youth that I might develop. But if its a 17/5 with Freekick? Then my best option becomes sell the player for loads of cash and reinvest it into 2/3 other players and loads of training.

Well ain't that the goddamn truth

I will probably never get a player that good again, either from the youth team or the transfer market. But I'm not going to have to worry about form training for a bloody long time...

bucketybuck
Apr 8, 2012
Very nice indeed! That price will go further as well, there are big clubs out there that will spend whatever it takes for the top young players with hard training. You just have to hope they are looking right now!

The Sweet Hereafter
Jan 11, 2010
I was amazed it had already gone past eleven million to be honest. How are there clubs out there with that kind of money?

space pope
Apr 5, 2003

I was amazed it had already gone past eleven million to be honest. How are there clubs out there with that kind of money?

I sold a similar player for 13.6m in my women's team. It happened right when I took over so it gave me a huge infusion of cash that really helped me build the team.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

My official league team has 45M in the bank and a 300k/week youth camp. It's just about tanking for a couple seasons.

bucketybuck
Apr 8, 2012

I have over 60 million econ in a couple of my other teams, its not that difficult to raise the cash if thats what you focus on for a few seasons.

There are teams out there with hundreds of millions econ in the bank. They don't want just good sides, they want to build insanely good sides and the first thing they do is spend seasons double jumping and then selling valuable players. They save up hundreds of millions, then when they feel ready they buy a team of super youths and develop them as far as they can.

A lot of teams will be happy to develop kids on a 17/4 or even 18/4 skill path, but these guys will only start with 16/4's or even 16/5 if they can find them, and they are prepared to pay the money it takes to get them.

The Sweet Hereafter
Jan 11, 2010

space pope posted:

I sold a similar player for 13.6m in my women's team. It happened right when I took over so it gave me a huge infusion of cash that really helped me build the team.

I'm worried this will come too late for me to really get to work on building the next generation of Renko FC.

VelociBacon posted:

My official league team has 45M in the bank and a 300k/week youth camp. It's just about tanking for a couple seasons.

Don't you spend it all on form training though? I'm trying to tank a team for the first time ever in another league and keeping their form up is prohibitively expensive.

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began

Don't you spend it all on form training though? I'm trying to tank a team for the first time ever in another league and keeping their form up is prohibitively expensive.

If you're form training you're not really tanking for the long haul.

The Sweet Hereafter
Jan 11, 2010

shoplifter posted:

If you're form training you're not really tanking for the long haul.

How does it work then? I though the whole point was to tank and keep their form up so they improve season on season?

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

I'm assuming in this case it's tank for 4-5 seasons, gut the team and build from scratch with Jed Clampett money

bucketybuck
Apr 8, 2012
Some people tank by just collecting the sponsorship money every week and not spending a penny. Personally I think thats inefficient.

If you don't care about results, then get some saleable youngsters, get their form high and play them every game. What you are aiming for is a double jump at the change report, and when you get it then sell the kid. Do it right and you come out ahead even accounting for training cost.

So, in one of my teams I took over and sold every player worth selling, raising 60m econ. Then I bought 8/9 kids on the 17/3 and 18/4 skill path with the Freekick icon. I train them and play them every game. 17/3 kids are pretty cheap, but when they double jump they are now 18/5 players with freekick SQ, and worth a hell of a lot more than I originally paid. I'll sell every player that double jumps, and replace them with more saleable kids, rinse and repeat. In a few seasons I expect to be in the bottom division with over 100m econ, and then the real work begins.

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

I just can't personally be bothered to play that kind of long game with X11, a couple seasons sure, but taking actions now for a payoff 2-3 years down the road for a web-based game is just not something I have the desire to do.

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

shoplifter posted:

I just can't personally be bothered to play that kind of long game with X11, a couple seasons sure, but taking actions now for a payoff 2-3 years down the road for a web-based game is just not something I have the desire to do.

Part of the reason I still play is that I can still be minimally competitive in Serie Goon without resorting to that kind of tactics. Is just not very fun.

bucketybuck
Apr 8, 2012
It all depends on why you play the game, and with multiple teams available there is no real reason not to take the long view with some of them.

For myself, the game is a bit like Facebook, its just something in the background that I keep an eye on. Its not super important to me, its nice if I win but losses are soon forgotten. Its a sorta timesink that takes very little input from me to keep ticking over, it costs me nothing to have 1 or 2 teams in the rebuilding stage, and I'm going to be dicking about with something when I'm at work so it might as well be this.

It also depends on the league. You don't need a super team to be competitive in a small league like Serie Goon so you don't need to go to extremes. But in some of the bigger leagues a casual approach won't get you to the top. And if I'm in it I want to win it, none of this moral victory shite.

Zanziabar
Oct 31, 2010
So short of the whole buying youth cheap, selling youth high perspective towards making that sweet bank, is there other ways of making cash other than press releases & weekly sponsorship money? I was wondering if there was a Econ reward for winning or placing in a league.

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Zanziabar posted:

So short of the whole buying youth cheap, selling youth high perspective towards making that sweet bank, is there other ways of making cash other than press releases & weekly sponsorship money? I was wondering if there was a Econ reward for winning or placing in a league.

Yes, the three first places in the league receive a reward, as well the team with the player with the highest points, goals, assists and X11's. Also you receive a higher reward the more times you are manager of the round and if you are manager of the month. And it applies to all divisions, so a good season in a lower league can give a pretty nice reward.

Zanziabar
Oct 31, 2010
Okay, So I've been doing pretty well in my league (How Shoot Do I Shoot Ball A) and I've gone 9 wins in a row with another 3 left in the season. Please don't soap me :negative:

I've started looking towards the future in preparation for surviving in the Retu Nagele divisions and I'm curious as to how player development/skill works and was wondering if someone could expand on it further for me than what is provided in the guide. To the best of my knowledge & according to the guide, the skill you see is a vague indicator of the general skill level of player. So a player with a '7' skill would have anywhere from 7.0 to 7.9. After Skillgate, it's not possible to tell the specific level of skill anymore. I believe that a DV less than 10 drops the player's skill by a bar and a DV higher than 10 increases it by one. The guide says that you need at least 17 DV in order to double jump a player however DV as it relates to its impact on skill seems rather, vague? Would a 17 DV for example, consistently double jump youths from 16-20? How about the next age bracket?

Sorry if these questions has been asked in the thread before

ChrisXP
Nov 25, 2004

A skill of 7 means they could be anywhere from 6.5 to 7.49 as the overall skill is rounded.
If you have players with a long enough history of change reports, you can use the % increase/decrease shown there to calculate their actual skill, or at least a good estimate.
a DV of under 10 will reduce a players skill level, and over 10 will increase it, guaranteed. How much it changes is dependent on the actual DV level and the age of the player. There are age brackets where a DV of X will produce a skill increase of Y bars. You can google this info if you want it, I won't put it here in case people don't want to see behind the curtain, but as an example my information says that for 16-20s a DV of 16 will produce an increase of 1.05. This means that if the player is right on the boundary this could produce a double jump. However, if the player is showing as skill 4, and their real skill is 3.51, nothing is gonna double jump him as it would need an increase of 1.99 skill to get to a visible skill of 5

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
Anurak Prapass is given permission to miss training in order to meet his new mail-order bride at the airport. He still manages to get a good physical workout that day, and he is so impressed with the team's support that he puts extra effort in the next day, and his form increases.

:shepface:

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Wow, I managed to actually finish 3rd in Retu Nagele A spite of losing 3 of my first 5 matches this season. How long does it take for the change report to come through? Also - are you all still alive and playing?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Charge report was up for me before you posted that. Alive here and finally over 100M team value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

VelociBacon posted:

Charge report was up for me before you posted that. Alive here and finally over 100M team value.

Yeah, I just realized it's a paid option now :effort: This is my first season in a long time...

• Locked thread