Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
you get an extra map, but it's just the first map flipped upside down

i'm saying... win

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FartRomancer.EXE
Jun 26, 2012

sotn, as a whole, is some epic poo poo

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
i got this game off PSN and i couldn't believe how loving good it was. flipping the castle is fine with me baby

glam bam rock
Jun 2, 2009

aaaaaaaaawwwwwwwww
WHAM BAM THANK YA GLAM

win

they could churn out SOTN clones on a conveyor and id play them all

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Flipped my world upside down

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

kmxexii posted:

win

they could churn out SOTN clones on a conveyor and id play them all

for some reason they don't

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

100% win

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
it's win OP

Dec 26, 2012

you would have to be an extreme idiot to call it fail, op

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Widestancer posted:

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn plɹoʍ ʎɯ pǝddᴉlℲ

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
More games and/or buildings need instant top speed elevators that crush the rider on the ceiling when it stops going up

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
it's still the best metroidvania

metricchip
Jul 16, 2014

I think it's pretty interesting actually. Needless backtracking can be a tedious bitch but I actually enjoy it when a game makes you go through an area again area but gives you a new perspective on it.

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
please konami, put sotn on steam

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Back in 2008 at the GDC, I visited Konami's booth a little after the main crowd hours. It was pretty small and plastered with a bunch of "Meet Kojima in person!!" announcements. The booth was occupied by a middle-aged business woman who seemed to be busy closing up shop, the rest had gone out for supper. I stopped on by and told them that I had absolutely loved their game that they had just released, that it was the best to come out in a long time and that I couldn't wait for more. She beamed with pride and sported a warm smile that seemed quite genuine despite her having the tired look on her face that comes from a full day of managing stuff at a GDC booth. She then thanked me and asked me what part of MGS4 was I enjoying the most. She looked real flabbergasted when I corrected her, but I don't know why because Order of Ecclesia was the poo poo.

From the lack of sequels thereon out, I guess they didn't hold it in particularly high regard internally. Shameful.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

qnqnx posted:

100% win

actually, it's 200.6% win, haha

Abandon
Nov 23, 2006
the gamer is beleaguered on all sides by failure his whole gaming life , op. so in answer to your qwuestion some fail

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
The only reason flipping the castle even works is because when it happens you have enough movement power ups that you could navigate whatever map, but it's pretty obvious to me that a map specifically designed to your new powers would be much better, so yeah, it's a fail. The only reason nobody seems to notice this is thanks to the rampant fanboism and herd mentality of the gaming community, there, I said it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also because SOTN owns you loser

program666? more like noobgram666

program666
Aug 22, 2013

I knew my truths would be received with nothing but vague impotent anger.

Endorph? more like Endboonh

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

program666 posted:

I knew my truths would be received with nothing but vague impotent anger.

the only thing impotent around here is your father and that's why you were adopted you punk

program666
Aug 22, 2013

The fact that the impotent guy is not my actual father is actually good.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i mean, yeah a completely new map would obviously be better than just taking the existing one and turning it upside down. but making a new map takes a lot of time and effort, which probably weren't available to the developers, whereas flipping the castle is much easier while still being completely different to travel through since the ceilings are different from the floors.

it's kind of like mirror mode in racing games. it's not intended to be seen as an entire new set of courses, its just an easy way to add more content to the game without eating up a ton of development time

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
Lazy slant garbage.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ragg posted:

Lazy slant garbage.

I agree with this AND think it's win

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The win of the reverse castle is the fact that you have to fight classic Castlevania bosses for Dracula parts.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Phantasium posted:

The win of the reverse castle is the fact that you have to fight classic Castlevania bosses for Dracula parts.

that IS some win

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete
But why fighting game inputs?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
It's a cool game op. I wish "luck mode" was a bit harder though.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
It owns

SOUL STEAL

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

Liquid Penguins posted:

please konami, put sotn on steam

seriously put the whole psx catalog id buy all of it

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
SotN is just HUGE compared to the GBA/DS games that followed it.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
will one of you bastard games making places please produce a metroidvania as good as SOTN tia

do it you fuckers

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
portrait of ruin is pretty cool because it brings back a lot of old school castlevania enemy/level design and has enough unique gimmicks that it doesn't just feel like SOTN portable the way every other metroidvania game does

trigger warning: anime cutscenes you should skip because who gives a poo poo about story in castlevania

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

darealkooky posted:

portrait of ruin is pretty cool because it brings back a lot of old school castlevania enemy/level design and has enough unique gimmicks that it doesn't just feel like SOTN portable the way every other metroidvania game does

trigger warning: anime cutscenes you should skip because who gives a poo poo about story in castlevania

trigger warning: CHARLOTTE! JONATHAN!

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
it's cool you can change it to superior nipponese, a language that never sounds annoying as hell esp when it's pronouncing english words

glam bam rock
Jun 2, 2009

aaaaaaaaawwwwwwwww
WHAM BAM THANK YA GLAM

Monkey Fracas posted:

will one of you bastard games making places please produce a metroidvania as good as SOTN tia

do it you fuckers

maybe not so vania but there's always axiom verge

dendy crew
Jun 1, 2011

Dendy!, Dendy!, We love Dendy! Dendy - Everyone plays it!
the trick is to play luck mode

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

dendy crew posted:

the trick is to play luck mode

And use the Ring of Ares + Tyrfing for big dick g mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokyo Incident
Nov 1, 2011

relax
Got to listen to requiem for the gods in a second location, thats some mighty win.

• Locked thread