Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
Alfred

Great! thought Alfred, immediately shooting off a quick Be there with bells on to Tex. Followed immediately by a greeeeaaaaaat as he looked at the clock, and realized how much time he had before the end of the day. Al works a late shift, in case he's got to miss some time later in the week, and gives himself just enough time to go home, put on his jacket and goggles, spike his hair, and head to the Sage.

pre:
Metatype (A) [Troll]
Attributes (B)
Magic (D) [Adept]
Skills (C)
Resources (E)

Primary Alias:  Alfred Nobel
Troll Adept
Height:  260cm 
Weight:  158kg
Total Karma:  40

Body 10 (11)
Agi  5  (6)
Rea  5  (8)
Str  8
Will 2
Log  2
Int  4
Cha  2
Edge 2
Ess  6
Magic  6

Limits:  

Mental 4
Physical 12
Social 4

Physical Wounds 14 (4/wound penalty)
Stun Wounds 9 (4/wound penalty)
Overflow 11
Initiative 12 + 3D6

Skill Groups

Athletics 2
-Gymnastics
-Running
-Swimming

Skills - Active

Blades 6
Specialization:  Katanas
Heavy Weapons:  4
Intimidation:  3 (5)
Chemistry:  5
Specialization:  Physical Chemistry
Explosives:  5
Gunnery:  3

Skills - Knowledge

English - N
Sperethiel - 1
Specialization:  Derogatory Slang
Lacrosse - 3
Corporate Politics - 2
EDM - 2
Street Drugs - 3

Attributes: 20/20
Skills:  28/28, 2/2 

Karma (40/40):  

Corporate SIN (+15)
Prejudiced (Outspoken) (+5) [Elves & Elf Posers]
The Spiritual Way (Thunderbird) (20)
Will(10)
Cha (10)

Adept 

Critical Strike [Katanas] 
Improved Accuracy [Katanas] (.25)
Improved Reflexes (3.5)
Attribute Boost [Agility]:  1 (.25)
Attribute Boost [Strength]:  1 (.25)
Mystic Armor:  1 (.25) D
Pain Resistance:  1 (.5) 
Improved Physical Attribute [Agility] (.5) D
Improved Physical Attribute [Body] (.5) D

Contacts:  

Texas Yellow, Connection 5, Loyalty 2
A shady figure who runs the Sage In Bloom, a local Dixie bar. In the back room, though, he's a fixer, 
acting as a middle-man between people looking to hire runners and the runner community.

Theo Trainer, Connection 6, Loyalty 1
An above-board fixer who sometimes hires people from the runner community for 'straight work', 
including protecting pop icons and ensuring things run smoothly for political candidates.

Redi Savniki, Connection 5, Loyalty 1
Ostensibly the janitor at a street clinic, Redi uses the relative privacy to hide his work as a fence.  
While he's willing to buy or sell just about anything, chemicals are his specialty.

Gear:  

Low Lifestyle (4000)
Lab Coats (240)
Street Clothes (300)
Rave Outfit (200)
Katana (1000)
Actioneer Business Clothes (1500)
Armor Jacket (1000)
10kg Commercial Explosives (1000)
3kg Foam Explosives, 12 (3600)
4 Detonator Caps (300)
Sony Emperor Commlink 2 (700)
Goggles, Cap. 2 (100)
-Flare Compensation (250)
-Vision Magnification (250)
-Image Link (25)
Crowbar (20)
Fake SIN 2 (5000)
Fake license [Katana] 3 (600)

Nuyen:  575

Ham Equity fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Aug 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Alfred Nobel

As he enters, Al gives Hardline a wave, and Gabriel a respectful head-nod. He leans back against the wall for Josiah's presentation, and once it's done, reads over the dossier one more time while everyone is (rightfully) chewing out Johnson Jr. He turns it upside down and shakes it to make sure there aren't any pages stuck together or anything, that that really is all of the information.

"Hey, Josiah, not to jump on the dogpile here--we will need to talk about payment--but... is this it?" He holds up the dossier. "This looks like you just went on the 'net and downloaded the press release for the auction. Don't get me wrong, it's nice to know the date and address and all... but we're gonna need a little more background than that if we don't want this going sideways. And I hate it when things go sideways. Well, I mostly hate it when things go sideways."

Ham Equity fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Aug 15, 2014

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Alfred Nobel

Al picks up the remaining two credsticks. "Seriously...? I've got a bad feeling about this. But I could really use the nuyen. Anyone got change?"

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Alfred Nobel

<You don't think the guy could be fronting for someone else? He did almost slip and say "my employer." Then again, maybe I'm wrong, and this is just a milk run.>

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Alfred Nobel

Alfred puts the Cred Sticks back. "Good luck with those."

To Everyone: <<We should meet back up at the Sage tomorrow [Wednesday] night at 10:00, in case we want to hit the joint on Thursday.>>

To Sparrow & Hardline: <<You might want to scope out the Johnson, see if you can hack his comm or whatever, figure out if he's got a boss or what his deal is, here. If you think you might need muscle, I can follow at a distance, but I don't think you want me riding along; I don't exactly blend in.>>

Alfred then wanders out to the bar to have another beer, and talk with Tex about getting the room the next night.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Alfred Nobel

"Uh, thank you, kindly... pardner." Not wanting to be too greedy, Al orders up a double-shot of Makers... followed shortly by another. Fortified with a little liquid courage, he attempts to flirt with one of the better-looking ork women. "Hey, nice ink; where'd you get it done?"

Seducing the fine Ork woman (Con): 2d6t5 0

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Alfred Nobel

Alfred mumbled an apology "well, I was just sayin... it looks nice, y'know?" and decides that discretion may in fact be the better part of valor.

Saying a quick goodbye to Tex, Alfred shoots off a quick message to the group: No dice on the dance party at the Sage tomorrow; anyone got another venue?

Adding "buy hardshell briefcases" to his "to-do" list, Alfred decides not to press his luck, and turn in early.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Alfred Nobel

Al spends his day the same way he's spent every day for the past six months: watching explosions in the Saeder-Krupp Chemicals laboratory. He was working on Project Blast Brigade, which is much less interesting than it sounds: his team was on contract to the heavy mining machines division, looking to lower the weight and/or increase the blast power of Saeder-Krupp's commercial explosives, in order to cut down on overhead. The morning meeting was the same as it ever was: supervisors look over the previous days' results, tell the wageslaves which formulas to pursue, ask them to up their output (as if the wageslaves could alter the physical laws of the universe), and sent them on their way. Mostly, it just served to make the supervisors look productive.

Al's meeting with Redi was much more productive. He simply wrote out the shopping list:

3 hardshell cases, 1@12, 2@1, need tomorrow.

1@1 instead of 12 fine if 12 not doable.

Wrapped it around a 700 cred stick, and tossed it into the garbage can in the hallway in front of Redi as Al walked by. He should hear back from him soon, probably from a single-use number contacting Al's burner.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Alfred Nobel

All in a day's work: 9d6t5 2

Al had had better days; he was feeling a bit distracted by the forthcoming run, and he only barely managed to hit his typical goal of "probably good enough to not get fired." Not on the path to "big things," as far as the company was concerned.

Al wasn't exactly a regular at cd /d E:\rs (pronounced "cedars"), but he had been there a few times before. It was mostly populated by low-level dataslaves and wannabe deckers, the kind of people who got a kick out of the name, and the fact that the owner/bartender--a chromed-out Mexican dwarf--is named Raymundo Sanchez (RS; get it?). Also, the kind of people who didn't pay a ton of attention to what was going on in the real world around them, unlikely to notice that the guy who walked in with a couple of briefcases wasn't the guy who walked out with them, which made it a good place for seeing Redi. Additional perks included a mean queso (Raymundo knew his Tex Mex) and cheap drink specials (usually the drain cleaner they used as well liquor plus whatever energy drink had managed to fall off a truck that morning).

Whether Redi would stick around for a couple of drinks or just dead drop the cases Al didn't know, but he figured while he was waiting, he may as well try to take care of another logistical issue: using Raymundo's back room for a "card game" that night. Al didn't know him terribly well, but Ray was unlikely to want to gain a reputation as a narc in his line of work, and even if it cost a few nuyen, the peace of mind was probably worth it. Trying to get away from one of the regulars who had had a few too many Iluminados (the special)--who was trying for the fourth time to explain the origin of the bar's name (something about an ancient computer interface, which Al could not possibly care less about)--without making a scene, Al ordered two more specials, one for him, and one to hopefully push his new "friend" past wired and into unconsciousness.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Alfred Nobel

Alfred briefly takes a look at the two cases, opening them, knocking on them a couple of times. "Yeah, looks great. And yeah, work sucks. Work always sucks. That's why I moonlight." Setting the cases beneath the table, he dips a chip into the queso, takes a big bite, and leans back. "This place definitely has its charms. No one up in your business, good food, cheap drinks... they're even close to potable." Grabbing two more drinks from the bar, Al sets down the credstick with Redi's drink, and sits down. "Should cover me. I'll let you know about Friday. How's work?"

---

After finishing up with Raymundo, Al downs the last of his last drink, shoots a quick message with the new meeting place to the rest of the group (advising them to "show up thirsty"), and carries his new cases back to his apartment.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Alfred Nobel

Alfred finishes off the last of the mandatory drinks. "I'll wait outside in case things get noisy. Also, I picked up some cases for transportation purposes; they should take a couple of hits without letting the books get shredded."

Alfred will be defaulting on unarmed attacks. Not as bad as you'd think. Note to self: pick up a few points of unarmed skill and some shock gloves for next time.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

QuantumNinja posted:

@Thanatosian: If you have the funds available, you could pick some Shock Gloves up tomorrow before the run. Remember that weapon restrictions are laxer in Dallas, so Shock Gloves are Avail 6 and cost 275.

@everyone: you planning seems to be done; are we good to move on?

I will hella take that. And I think we are ready to run.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Alfred Nobel

Alfred was finishing up a couple of extra drinks at Cedars when the call came in from Sparrow.

Hmmmm... Good opportunity to see what the rigger can do.

<<Sounds good. Comm me a good meetup point near the pickup, and I'll meet you there.>>

Sleep is for the weak, anyhow.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Navigation defaults to Intuition. You have another die.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Alfred Nobel

Alfred grumbles "I should've known this sounded too easy." Seeing the neighborhood, instead of doing the usual "terrified door-locking," Al rolls down the rear window and lets his arm dangle out of it (careful not to let his knuckles drag on the ground). He puts his goggles up on his forehead in order to give an appropriate glare to anyone who looks like they mean the group any harm.

Intimidating poor people from car: 7d6t5 2

Jesus, another glitch. Lets go ahead and Edge that to reroll failures.

Edge Reroll on intimidate check in bad neighborhood: 5d6t5 2

Total of 4 successes. I just tied the face's social roll, just saying. :P

Ham Equity fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Sep 23, 2014

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

QuantumNinja posted:

@Thanatosian: When you default, you roll [Stat - 1] dice, so 2DP is correct. For my own book-keeping, why does Intimidation have a 5 next to the three on your sheet?
Jesus, defaulting is worse than I thought; definitely dropping a couple of points into unarmed combat after this. My Thunderbird mentor spirit (who I forgot to flesh out) gives me a +2 to intimidation; I'll add a section on him momentarily.

Alfred Nobel

Alfred does not tolerate the catcalls of the locals terribly well. "Hey, my colors are black and blue, and if I hear one more 'trog' or 'tusker' out of you fragging breeders, I'm going to make 'em your colors, too, you get me?"

Evaluating the situation, Alfred turns to Sparrow. "Well, as far as I'm concerned, kid, you're the Skipper on this three-hour tour. If you or Gilligan here want to make a try for the van, I can probably distract the punks for a bit, but if you take too long, it'll get bloody, one way or another. Ginger Rogers out there is pretty clearly looking for a partner, though, and it's been awhile since I've tangoed, so I'm happy to be their Fred Astaire."

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Alfred Nobel

Initiative roll in ganger fight: 3d6+12 24

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Alfred Nobel Edge: 1/2

I am really bad at reading the rules, apparently, and forgot the base 1d6 for physical initiative:

Base D6 for initiative (ACTUAL initiative): 1d6+24 28

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Alfred Nobel Edge: 1/2

"Well, that makes things easy!" Alfred rushes at the nearby group of gangers as he draws his katana, choosing out the mouthiest one start with.

Free Action: Run/Charge
Simple Action: Ready Weapon
Simple Action: Melee Attack

Charge attack against street thugs: 16d6t5 3

Current Reach: 2

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Alfred Nobel

Al is a bit surprised by the machine gun of questions coming out of Finch. "Uh... Alfred Nobel. Most people just call me 'Al.' And usually hit up raves... uh, not the nice ones, like in clubs or anything; usually warehouses or squats. Oh, and this sort of thing" gesturing to the van. "And this was more or less a one-time deal, sort of a labor exchange with Sparrow. Though, if you ever have something like this again, let me know. Nice way to spend an evening. Speaking of which, I have to be up rear end-early in the morning. Have a good night."

Alfred will be picking up his shock gloves on the way to work the next morning.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Alfred Nobel

Explosives roll for job: 7d6t5 2 The job checks are kind of intimidating; I just wrote that up for background. Now, I'm nervous that I'm going to get fired if I get a few bad rolls. D:

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Alfred Nobel

Alfred loads the reinforced cases into the van. "drat, Sparrow, you guys work fast; nice job." Holding up one of the cases, "and it's not much, but if drek starts to go down, it should be some protection for the manuscripts; don't try and use it for a bulletproof vest or anything, but it should at least keep the blood off, and be able to absorb some shrapnel."

In response to Marcina, Al flexes his hands, showing off his new gloves. "I've got it covered. And try not to forget who's on your team; I've worked with burnouts before."

When Double Tap pulls his gun, Alfred takes a few steps back and draws his katana, just in case things start to get interesting.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Alfred Nobel

"Whose the better bet to grab the unlucky charms, Gabe? Is touching these things more likely to result in something like getting your heart torn out of your chest, or getting your soul ripped out through your eyes? And is there a chance the spellslinger who owns them might try to personally do one of the two?" Alfred asks.

As the van sidles up near the auction house, Alfred slips out at Sparrow's signal. As surreptitiously as possible, he slides behind the van, braces against the ground, and gives it a light push, attempting to bring it to a stop shortly before the loading dock.

Sneak-pushing the van into the loading dock (Sneak): 5d6t5 3

Sneak-pushing the van into the loading dock (Strength): 8d6t5 2

Sneak-pushing the van into the loading dock (Body): 11d6t5 3

Looking at the "lifting/carrying" rules, it's supposed to be Str + Body for that; I wasn't sure if you would consider a push similar or not, so I rolled them separately; count them as you will.

Ham Equity fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Oct 27, 2014

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Alfred Nobel

Well, Twinkle-toes? You ready to really piss off some juju-thrower? I'll follow you to these things.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Alfred Nobel

Alfred momentarily glowers at Gabriel's hit, decides not to make a big deal of it for now, and hits his commlink.

<<Hey, Marcina, is there any way you can get those bees to swarm over the cameras out by the docking bay, blocking their sight? Are these the kind of illusion that can block cameras? Gabe and I need to not be detected upstairs, so giving the decker a break from the cameras out here would help a bunch.>>

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Alfred Nobel

Alfred fixes Gabriel with a glare. "Okay, but if these end up being cursed or magically trapped, you'd better hope they kill me."

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Alfred Nobel

<<I fraggin' hate milk runs. Marcina, Ken, first find the manuscripts, then see if there's any other drek worth taking in there. I don't know about you, but I think we should at least make sure we make it out of here with something worthwhile. Gabe, cover me on the cameras out here, once he's got that going, Hardline cover me on the cameras in there. Double Tap, any way you can trap the guards in the staff room? I have a feeling things are going to get hot.>>

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The main issue with Operation Fetish Steal is that I can't invisibility myself, and those cameras are a problem. :P

Sparrow, could you invisibility just me?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Alfred Nobel

"Oh, wow, am I invisible now?" Al looks down at himself. "Awesome." Al starts to head towards the office, to get a look at the door in-person.

<<Uh, does anyone know if this office door has an alarm or lock on it or anything?>>

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Alfred Nobel

Alfred carefully pushes his way into the office, hoping against hope that there isn't anything nasty waiting for him in there.

<<Wait, Double-Tap, did that guy say something about prosciutto? Can you try and grab some if you get a chance?>>

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Alfred Nobel

Alfred--hearing the freakout over the comms--steels himself for whatever might be in the room. Not wanting to give away the goat too fast, he settles for a loping half-walk/half jog that would probably have looked ridiculous if he weren't invisible. Whispering a quick "Odin grant me speed, and make my blade strike true," he feels the blood begin to pump vigorously into his limbs as the magic seizes him, and drawing his katana, he heads to the vault.

<<Bros, what, exactly is it I'm about to walk in on and probably kill, here? Also, is the bad juju in the vault going to give me a case of the horribly cursed with the bad juju in my pockets?>>

Initiative roll for blood fight in vault: 4d6 14 + 12 = 26

Agility boost roll for vault blood fight: 7d6t5 2

Modified agility: 8

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Alfred Nobel

Alfred steps through the door to the vault... and spots chaos. "gently caress. poo poo poo poo poo poo. Uhhh... Sword. I need a magical sword..."

<<Did anyone see a magical fraggin' sword in here anywhere?!">>

Alfred begins frantically digging through the puppy-eating vortex in search of something stabby.

Search for magical weapon (Edge'd): 5d6h5 2

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Alfred Nobel

Alfred sheathes his katana, and starts grabbing stuff from around the room.

<<You heard the lady, everyone. Grab what you can. Double-tap, sit-rep? I'd prefer to get out of here without having to hurt the guards.>>

Simple Action: sheathe katana
Simple Action: grab stuff, including sword
Free action: start moving the gently caress out

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Alfred Nobel

I am eight kinds of retarded, and missed the word "nearly" in QN's post. Totally thought the blood spirit was banished.

In the midsts of looting the room, Alfred realizes that the blood spirit wasn't as incapacitated as he thought it was at first as it begins its spray attack. He dives behind the wall, just in time to miss being showered.

Dodge roll against toxic spray: 12d6t5 7

Edge reroll on failures of toxic spray dodge: 5d6t5 2

Ham Equity fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Nov 16, 2014

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Alfred Nobel

<<Okay, second verse, same as the first. Flyboy has Gabriel, Kenneth gimme a hand with emptying everything out of this vault ASAP. Then let's book hard. If some mage has some juju left, you might wanna make a loud peel out sound from out front, make them think we've left from there already.>>

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

QuantumNinja posted:

Everyone
@Thanatosian: What, exactly, are you looting from the vault? Everything you can carry, or what? You don't exactly know where the first editions are, and the guy who does is unconscious and being carried off by a... bird.
Yup. You did say Kenneth & I could just haul it out and sort it later, right?

EDIT: Did you want a lifting roll from us? If so, can I strength boost it (half-action)?

Ham Equity fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Nov 19, 2014

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Given that the sniper is probably out of effective sword-throwing range, and that he doesn't yet have a cannon or grenade launcher, I think Alfred will stand pat.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Alfred Nobel

Alfred starts separating the manuscripts out from the rest of the gear. "There is no fraggin' way we're burning all of this! I'm not saying we should try to move it all, but some of us need to make rent this month. Whoever sent us after the manuscripts already knows us, so I don't see a ton of risk if we at least get paid for those. We should split up the rest into stuff that's easily traceable and stuff that isn't, figure out what we can move with a reasonable amount of risk."

He starts putting the manuscripts into a pile. "As for the rest of it... well, if Sparrow can get me something disposable, I'll take it out into the desert and take care of it. I'd like a driver at least, but I can handle it on my own if not. Spellchuckers, assuming this stuff is gonna be disposed of in a pyrotechnic fashion... what's a safe distance?"

Pointing to the pile of fetishes, "and what about these? Any chance they're worth anything, or is the risk of them being traced too high?"

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Alfred Nobel

"Huh, that's a new one. Two new ones, actually. First, books trying to talk to me; second, my mentor spirit telling me not to mess with something. So, yeah, I'm thinking definitely the 'blow them sky high.' I mean, the lake thing is good, too, but what if someone pulls these out of the lake? Also, blowing them up will destroy them, right? These aren't some crazy Superman books, are they?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Alfred Nobel

"Hey, Sparrow, before you take off forever, can I ask one more favor? I'm gonna need my whole stash to insure the van is properly clean, so could you run by my apartment and pick up my stuff?" Al tosses her his keys. "#353, four feet to the left of the west-facing window, behind the radiator. Smash in the plaster, it's in a duffel bag. It's quality stuff, so it's stable. I'd go with, but I don't think you want the attention a troll riding in the back of that ricer is going to attract while you're hauling ten kilos of contraband. Oh, and sorry for the mess."

Alfred turns to Marcina "I'm not really an expert on this stuff, but trashing all of it if we can turn a profit seems fraggin' wasteful. And like Gabe says, we've already pissed off the Toxic Avenger; may as well get paid for it, at least the non-evil stuff."

And then in order to satisfy his own (and Vex's) curiosity, Alfred takes a closer look at the sword.

• Locked thread