Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Highway
Feb 25, 2007

I'm a very lonely man, doing what I can.
This was a good LP. I always enjoyed Asylum. Just about every detail of the game is well constructed, except for maybe Croc's area. I look forward to your City playthrough. I've been replaying that recently and have been having problems that I don't remember having with the combat such as the auto-targeting not targeting the people I want. So, I'm interested in seeing how you handle it.

CuwiKhons posted:

...why the Arkham City story is the weakest of the three :v:

That's an unpopular opinion? I thought it was a fact (at least between the first two games as I haven't played Origins).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Mr. Highway posted:

This was a good LP. I always enjoyed Asylum. Just about every detail of the game is well constructed, except for maybe Croc's area. I look forward to your City playthrough. I've been replaying that recently and have been having problems that I don't remember having with the combat such as the auto-targeting not targeting the people I want. So, I'm interested in seeing how you handle it.

That's an unpopular opinion? I thought it was a fact (at least between the first two games as I haven't played Origins).

It's considered better than Origins, but not as good as Asylum

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Have me on after CuwiKhons so I can talk about how wrong his opinions are.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Samovar posted:

OK, while Conroy's Batman is usually stellar; that 'NO!' from him just before Gordon gets shot is... kinda hilariously off-key to me.

I feel that way about a lot of Conroy's voice acting in both this and Arkham City, honestly. Like, most of it's great, but every now and then he'll have a line that just sounds really wrong. My guess is just that I assume recording for video games is a different process then cartoons? Or perhaps because Arkham Asylum started development two years after the final episode of Justice League Unlimited so maybe he was just rusty?

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

A lot of the time with video game dialogue recording is that the voice actors are given pages of lines with very little context, and give their lines by themselves. When doing audio for cartoons, normally you have a couple of actors in the booth reading to each other, so they can play off each other, but that doesn't happen as often in video game development. But when they do, like The Last of Us, it comes across so much better.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
What's interesting to me is how much worse the voice acting is in those last scenes than any of the others. The whole final combat sequence feels almost abortively shoddy, even compared with the other boss fights. I wonder if things got cut in that sequence, or if it was the first part that was made- I know that parts of the cutscenes were used in very early promo work.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Discendo Vox posted:

What's interesting to me is how much worse the voice acting is in those last scenes than any of the others. The whole final combat sequence feels almost abortively shoddy, even compared with the other boss fights. I wonder if things got cut in that sequence, or if it was the first part that was made- I know that parts of the cutscenes were used in very early promo work.

It could always be Path-of-Neo syndrome.

"Well we need a final climactic confrontation between batman and the joker." "Yeah but the joker loses in a straight up fistfight." "Okay, he goes hulk then."

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

bassguitarhero posted:

A lot of the time with video game dialogue recording is that the voice actors are given pages of lines with very little context, and give their lines by themselves. When doing audio for cartoons, normally you have a couple of actors in the booth reading to each other, so they can play off each other, but that doesn't happen as often in video game development. But when they do, like The Last of Us, it comes across so much better.

The Last of Us also went so far as to have the actors do their own motion capture, so they also fully acted out their scenes when not specifically recording lines.

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment

Kurieg posted:

"Well we need a final climactic confrontation between batman and the joker." "Yeah but the joker loses in a straight up fistfight." "Okay, he goes hulk then."

"But then Batman punches him in the face, and his fist explodes!"

As cool as that scene looked, it still made me think the ending was written by a 10 year old boy.

chitoryu12 posted:

The Last of Us also went so far as to have the actors do their own motion capture, so they also fully acted out their scenes when not specifically recording lines.

Well, you know, when they're not doing opera in their spare time.

Albu-quirky Guy fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Oct 6, 2014

Delta Green
Nov 2, 2012

bassguitarhero posted:

Forget the Last of Us, think Legacy of Kain in general.

That was the most fantastic voice acting I've ever heard.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Delta Green posted:

Forget the Last of Us, think Legacy of Kain in general.

That was the most fantastic voice acting I've ever heard.

Truth. You can't help but smile when he smirks. You can practically loving hear it.

*EDIT* Of course, Simon Templeman may either be the greatest voice actor of all time or else is, y'know, actually a centuries old vampire with all the elocution and smug sense of superiority that inspires.

Raziel's actor was pretty great, too.

RickVoid fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Oct 6, 2014

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

bassguitarhero posted:

There's a behind-the-scenes video floating around that shows that at least Conroy and Hamill were in the same room when they did the lines for AA and AC; and I don't know how much context they got for them, but apparently Conroy had some amount of input on the lines, since he'd voiced Batman for so long that he could tell when a line felt wrong and would bring it up with the…director, I guess?

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

frozentreasure posted:

There's a behind-the-scenes video floating around that shows that at least Conroy and Hamill were in the same room when they did the lines for AA and AC; and I don't know how much context they got for them, but apparently Conroy had some amount of input on the lines, since he'd voiced Batman for so long that he could tell when a line felt wrong and would bring it up with the…director, I guess?

Writer/cutscene director/etc. There's usually someone in charge.

bassguitarhero posted:

Some cartoons are done this way. Some fantastic ones are done very solo: Archer, for instance, has a whole lot of the voice work done entirely solo. Doesn't feel like it though.

Naughty Dog tends to not just have fantastic voice acting, sometimes using VA as MoCap, they will also base the characters features off of their mocap. This is why Nathan Drake looks like Nolan North and why they're such a great fit. They went even crazier on that for The Last of Us.

Scruffy: Thanks for a fantastic LP. It's a cool game, and I very much enjoyed your LP. I feel like you could've commented over parts a little bit more, (especially generic mook punching), but nonetheless it was very well executed. The Riddler Roundup with Jenner was also very interesting, considering her background in psychology and the very psychological nature of Batman's villains. I'll be waiting for the Arkham City LP. Enjoy your vacation!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

RickVoid posted:

Truth. You can't help but smile when he smirks. You can practically loving hear it.

*EDIT* Of course, Simon Templeman may either be the greatest voice actor of all time or else is, y'know, actually a centuries old vampire with all the elocution and smug sense of superiority that inspires.

Raziel's actor was pretty great, too.
You can't post those and not mention the outtakes.

edit: VVV To be fair, with that game's writing, he wouldn't be able to save it.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Oct 6, 2014

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Of course this new line of mocap/VA schtick is why Garret wasn't played by Stephen Russell, who breathes so much life into his character.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

It's a shame that Killer Croc never tries to hit Batman with a rock. :smith:

Wait, why would he do that? I think you've forgotten something about that episode: that wasn't actually Killer Croc at all :ssh:

I'm kind of surprised you never did anything with Joker and the electric walls during that fight. It seems so obvious.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Glazius posted:

Wait, why would he do that? I think you've forgotten something about that episode: that wasn't actually Killer Croc at all :ssh:

You've forgotten that the best way to sell a lie is to tell the truth:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsRHW5n99K0

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Edminster posted:

You've forgotten that the best way to sell a lie is to tell the truth:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsRHW5n99K0
This, by the way, being by far the closest anyone got to actually killing Batman in the entirety of the Animated Series.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Harley almost did too didn't she? Like, she only didn't kill Batman because he got her to contact Joker so he could see her do it and Joker predictably had a meltdown at the idea of anybody but him killing Batman and Joker attacked her. Batman mocked him for it afterwards, that Harley had come closer to killing him than Joker ever had. Was that an episode or a BTAS comic?

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

CuwiKhons posted:

Harley almost did too didn't she? Like, she only didn't kill Batman because he got her to contact Joker so he could see her do it and Joker predictably had a meltdown at the idea of anybody but him killing Batman and Joker attacked her. Batman mocked him for it afterwards, that Harley had come closer to killing him than Joker ever had. Was that an episode or a BTAS comic?

It's both, started as a comic and then became adapted into an episode.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
That's the one with the piranhas, yes? "Mad Love". A fairly chilling depiction of an abusive relationship.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Loxbourne posted:

That's the one with the piranhas, yes? "Mad Love". A fairly chilling depiction of an abusive relationship.

If Joker would stop doing things that anger Batman, then Batman would stop hitting him.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Glazius posted:

I'm kind of surprised you never did anything with Joker and the electric walls during that fight. It seems so obvious.

Maybe they count the electric generator Titan Joker falls into as counting as part of the electric fence. It's still a weak fight but it gets better so woo.

Hello Sailor posted:

If Joker would stop doing things that anger Batman, then Batman would stop hitting him.

Domestic violence jokes are gross but the weirdest thing is that Joker literally is asking for it. Whether he can help himself or not.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
I always figured Joker asks for it because he wants to eventually push Batman's buttons enough that Batman kills him. If he can kill Batman, Gotham is without a hero, plunged into irreversible chaos. If Batman kills him, even if no one else knows, it's on Batman's conscience forever, knowing that Joker ultimately won.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I was about to say that "wasn't that what happened in Return of the Joker?" but then I remembered that depending on which cut you saw it was either a severely broken Tim Drake shooting Joker or Batman beating the poo poo out of Joker. Although I suppose that means that the canonical version IS Tim shooting Joker

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Aces High posted:

I was about to say that "wasn't that what happened in Return of the Joker?" but then I remembered that depending on which cut you saw it was either a severely broken Tim Drake shooting Joker or Batman beating the poo poo out of Joker. Although I suppose that means that the canonical version IS Tim shooting Joker

No, Batman beats the poo poo out of Joker in both versions, it's just the way Joker dies that varies between versions. The regular version is Tim shooting Joker, the TV edit has Tim shove him into Joker's lab where Joker falls into some water and power cables, then accidentally grabs the power switch trying to get back up, electrocuting himself.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Oct 12, 2014

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Thanks for the great LP, Scruffy! Please post in this thread when you make the new one, if you wouldn't mind.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

TwoPair posted:

No, Batman beats the poo poo out of Joker in both versions, it's just the way Joker dies that varies between versions. The regular version is Tim shooting Joker, the TV edit has Tim shove him into Joker's lab where Joker falls into some water and power cables, then accidentally grabs the power switch trying to get back up, electrocuting himself.

A rare case in which censorship arguably makes the death worse for the victim. It also makes it a little worse for the story in the TV version, I think, because the Joker bringing it upon himself is far more fitting than an accident.

Also, gonna join the thanks crown, Scruffy, it was really entertaining!

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

bladeworksmaster posted:

A rare case in which censorship arguably makes the death worse for the victim. It also makes it a little worse for the story in the TV version, I think, because the Joker bringing it upon himself is far more fitting than an accident.

Also, gonna join the thanks crown, Scruffy, it was really entertaining!

At work so I can't check the links, but in the TV edit we lose out on "That's not funny... that's not funny at all", don't we? As Jokers last words they are perfect.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

RickVoid posted:

At work so I can't check the links, but in the TV edit we lose out on "That's not funny... that's not funny at all", don't we? As Jokers last words they are perfect.

Yes, they changed the whole exchange. It also loses some of the impact of Joker going "Make daddy proud, deliver the punchline." and him screaming "DO IT!" which causes Tim to snap and shoot him instead.

They also edit out him killing Slab the same way earlier in the episode.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

RickVoid posted:

I still vividly remember that exchange even though I haven't watched Return of the Joker in years.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I just binge-watched the whole LP. This is amazing. It's full of great touches, like most of the background characters getting names, or the fact tht poor bastard Joker throws into the electrified water is a trainee (poor bastard). Even stuff that on the face of it doesn't make any sense, like this:

SonicRulez posted:

Joker should've known Catwoman and Penguin wouldn't be there, they're not Arkham inmates. They always go to Blackgate, because they're just bad people, not crazy.

Makes sense when you think about it, since of course Joker planned ahead for Catwoman and Penguin possibly being there, since he orchestrated a fire at Blackgate to get his own goons shipped out to Arkham.

At the same, your own commentary was well up to the standard of a great LP (special kudos to Jenner for her guest commentary). I'm looking forward to the Arkham City LP (and hopefully an Arkham Knight one in the future, perhaps?).

And of course a pretty darn neat discussion of Batman in general.

Actually, on the same theme of Jenner's psychoanalysis, I recommend The Arkham Sessions for an in-depth exploration, albeit focused upon the BTAS (but considering the cross-pollination between that and this game, it's appropriate.

But yeah, loved the LP and looking forward to the follow-up!

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Oh neat LP. I just finished the game yesterday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Someone asked for me to post here when the Arkham City thread was up so http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3678228 wooooo

• Locked thread