Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I just noticed with regards to Batman's physical stats, I'm the exact same height and weight as him and I don't have nearly that much muscle; in fact, my build is fairly average for this height. Like, he would literally need to be almost pure muscle (including bones and internal organs) in order to only weigh 210 at that height. Literal slab of meat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Lazyfire posted:

Are you suggesting comic book writers and video game designers may not be experts on how much muscle weighs?

Not unless Bruce Wayne has no internal organs or bones and is just a side of beef.

Which would explain how he takes so much punishment, really. No internal organs to take damage.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I don't really mind Croc (and Bane in Arkham City) being depicted as so huge any more than I mind Batman being so huge and ripped or the Joker being so skinny and all limbs. These games heavily follow comic book conventions regarding larger-than-life characters. Instead of merely looking like a wrestler, Bane legitimately looks like he could pick Batman up and snap him over his knee. Killer Croc's size emphasizes how extremely dangerous he is to anyone who's not Batman.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I did not know that Zsasz's special spot for Batman was the inside of his eye.

And I'm pretty sure I could've gone for the rest of my life not knowing that. :stonk:

I could feel the drat pain when he described it. I wear contacts and I've occasionally had instances where a contact has torn (sometimes a hole gets poked in the center) before I put it in. You end up with a horrible shooting pain every time you blink and end up almost unable to see out of that eye.

Imagine that....forever.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

CuwiKhons posted:

For the curious, Aaron Cash first appeared in Arkham Asylum: Living Hell, a miniseries focusing on a corrupt CEO who makes the mistake of pleading insanity in court when arrested for embezzling. The judge basically goes "You done hosed up, son, I'm sentencing you to Arkham." And he learns very swiftly that he would have been better off in jail. It's very good and several characters in it were popular enough to become mainstays, Aaron Cash among them.

Great White Shark, right?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

CuwiKhons posted:

Scarecrow's costume (and Harley's, for that matter) are meant to look like they're just poo poo they scrounged up around the Asylum after they escaped, hence why Scarecrow is barefoot and lacking a shirt. Of course, this does not at all explain why Jonathan Crane is fuckin' ripped.

He's listed at 6 feet and 140 pounds, which is badly underweight (I'm average build for 6'2 and I weigh 70 pounds more than him). Those aren't muscles. Those are skinny boy abs you see on Hot Topic emo kids.

Edit: More on the topic of the LP, the Bane fight isn't too interesting but I find any fight that involves a bunch of goons fun as hell because this series has one of the best melee combat systems I've ever played. I just love how the game acknowledges Bane's collateral damage and has him mowing down everyone in his path when he throws poo poo or charges.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Aug 24, 2014

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Speaking of comic book measurement problems, 6'8 and 350 pounds (Bane's supposed post-Venom build) looks more like this guy. That's Trenton Brown of the Florida Gators.

Bane is definitely well over 7 feet and probably weighs as much as a car.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Aug 24, 2014

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

(:sperg: incoming)

Just for reference, a side of beef has a hanging weight of about 350 pounds. Even if we used Batman's excuse of being literally pure muscle with no internal organs or bones, he'd still have to be in the quadruple digits for weight. Guesstimating from his comparison to the 6'2 Batman at 17:02 in the video, he's probably about 10 feet tall in reality and at least 6 feet shoulder to shoulder and 2 or 3 feet front to back. Bane's torso is disproportionately massive compared to his legs, so let's just do the measurement of his torso for a height of 5 feet. This makes a rough rectangle of 5x6x2.5 feet. The ensuing density is 75 cubic feet.

Assuming a mass of 350 pounds, Bane would have a density of 4.6 pounds per cubic foot. This makes him about 1/13th the density of water, and Batman should be punching holes straight through him. As soon as the Batmobile launched him into the water, he should have come bobbing back to the surface like styrofoam. Which, for the record, has a density of 56.56 pounds per cubic foot.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Aug 24, 2014

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

CuwiKhons posted:

They list Killer Croc as 11 feet tall and 580 pounds.

They're just super lovely at height/weight measurements.

It's only a "mistake" until you do the math for fun and realize how comically off it all is. Then it becomes a joke. It's the mathematical equivalent of saying that a car traveling on the interstate is likely going at 20 miles per hour.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Aug 24, 2014

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I mean, even guesstimating him at 10 feet and 1500 pounds would immediately make it a moot point because it's just kinda accurate enough that nobody will really question it (especially since the guy takes a hit from a speeding Batmobile and doesn't get torn in half, so he's gotta be at least as tough as an automobile of the same size). Giving him the measurements of a typical college football player suggests that whoever wrote it literally works while on acid.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

"...and a drawing of some kind of donkey."

"NO WONDER SHE'S SO SCARED."

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Jade Star posted:

I personally enjoy the Batman Acrobatic Aerial Somersaults that lead to the Bat punching a man in the rear end so hard it knocks them out.

Twice. Two times he chose to knock someone out with an rear end punch.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Guess we answered that.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Gaz-L posted:

It's not common knowledge that Oracle's in a wheelchair, let alone Barbara Gordon. To most people that aren't directly related to Batman (or her Birds of Prey) she's a stylized avatar on a screen.

Joker is the guy who put her in a wheelchair.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I totally forgot about how amazing Batman: The Animated Series was. That show was a high point for cartoons.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Tiggum posted:

So, why do people agree to work for the Joker? All those thugs of his would surely have to realise that they've signed up to be punched by Batman, and that's if they're lucky.

A few reasons:

1. The supervillains are generally the best paying, or at least provide the best opportunities for the chaos that the criminals who are in it for the thrill love.

2. The Joker is so unbelievably psychotic that he'll threaten to kill your family if you don't follow his orders (even the crazy or potentially suicidal ones) to the letter, and he'll probably break their legs anyway just for a laugh. He's the kind of guy who will tell you to murder a random old lady with a trowel and then shoot you in the head without blinking if you hesitate....or he might not. Depends on his mood at the time and whether or not he finds it funny. I have a good feeling that most of the Blackgate guys didn't "agree" as much as they figured that doing the Joker's bidding was the best way to keep from getting themselves killed. At least Batman only cripples you.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

dscruffy1 posted:

Penitentiary/Polsy - Interview Tapes: Zsasz 1/2/3/4/5, Chronicle of Arkham 11

Character bios updated: Poison Ivy, Clayface, Ventriloquist, Calendar Man, Two-Face, Mister Freeze

Combat: Shock and Awe/Polsy

Got a lot of characters showing up in this one. I'm noticing that I'm not getting the trophies that unlock challenge rooms before they'd be nice to have, so I'm probably going to start running through the challenges I've missed so far as extra videos. Still getting all the trophies! Just would like to have all the challenge rooms done before I hit the end of the game.

Just so you know, you uploaded Two-Face's statistics in place of Mr. Freeze.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Lightcecil posted:

Speaking of weird combat hit detection, at 6:22, he takes down a crazy by punching him, either in the thigh or the crotch. I can see one of these working, but jeez Batman.

[Edit: dumb typo]

There's been at least half a dozen incidents so far where Batman has knocked a thug out by punching him in the rear end.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I think Batman works best as a flawed but ultimately heroic and unquestionably good character. Yes, he causes some problems through his method of doing things (how many deaths is he responsible for by letting the Joker, to say nothing of the rest of the rogues gallery, repeatedly get locked up in an asylum that he easily breaks out of time and time again?) and he can be a bit heavy-handed. And he's unquestionably a very mentally scarred man who's always on the verge of Batman becoming his true self with the "normal" Bruce Wayne being a facade. But when it comes down to it, Batman is ultimately the good guy. He does what he does because he wants to help people and he cares about innocents. He just places his rigid moral code too high sometimes.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Batman Beyond is a big part of my middle school days. Looking back on it, it was really creative and a great way to expand on the Batman mythos without just doing Yet Another Redesign of the major characters. Plus is introduced cyberpunk to a new generation of kids.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Am I the only one who has memories of a totally different opening sequence for Batman Beyond that was less grimdark and still images of vehicles and people being shuffled around on a static background?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

bassguitarhero posted:

A lot of the time with video game dialogue recording is that the voice actors are given pages of lines with very little context, and give their lines by themselves. When doing audio for cartoons, normally you have a couple of actors in the booth reading to each other, so they can play off each other, but that doesn't happen as often in video game development. But when they do, like The Last of Us, it comes across so much better.

The Last of Us also went so far as to have the actors do their own motion capture, so they also fully acted out their scenes when not specifically recording lines.

• Locked thread