Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Locked thread
Cardinal Ximenez
Oct 25, 2008

"You could call it heroic responsibility, maybe," Harry Potter said. "Not like the usual sort. It means that whatever happens, no matter what, it's always your fault."


Coleridge posted:

If a man could pass through Paradise in a dream, and have a flower presented to him as a pledge that his soul had really been there, and if he found that flower in his hand when he awake Aye! and what then?



The sun rises over Songyuan. It is still wet, the consequence of a passing storm last night. Conditions could be worse, but the packers seem annoyed at the mud.

There are three wagons. One in the front with supplies for the journey. One in the back with some goods to trade along the way. One in the middle which is a 20-foot shipping container on wheels covered with a tarp; it contains the artwork. Nobody's told you exactly what it is, just that it is highly photosensitive and none of your business.

The front and back wagons are pulled by three mules, the middle by six. The animals seem particularly nonchalant today.



The innkeeper stares at you accusingly. Or perhaps it is old age and awkwardness. It's hard to tell; you're getting paranoid.

"Finally leaving?"

She chuckles, and takes a look at your payment. Even smells it a bit before weighing the coins.

It always hurts to lose money, especially when the bill's nearly a thousand gram-equivalents. You try not to wince. You'll get back more when you finish the job. Enough to... settle down.

A chill runs down your spine. You clutch your wrapped hand.



You wake up in the stable after a night of strange dreams. Between the thunder and the neighs, you are surprised that you slept at all.

Your horse is licking you. You wipe your face a few times before realizing it is still moist out. You'll never get used to that.

Fortunately, Xu's putting you on a job straight into somewhere much drier.



Xu was impressed enough to put you on the caravan. The others aren't quite as accepting, but they'll get over it.

You're focused on something else right now. A few people have spotted a "one-eyed ghost" in Manzhouli, according to a few newspaper stories. The old, bombed-out ruins, not the current city. It's right on the way.

A better lead than usual.



You remember the words of the dying Black Lotus commander.

"The west... Krasnoyarsk... ninety-three... if I lived a few months longer... I could have lived. You are the worthy one; we'll all die to you, and... you won't give a drat. Find it, and take your precious lotus, before it chooses... them..."

Infuriatingly vague, but the Black Lotus is moving west; you got that out of a lot of terrified ne'er-do-wells.

Xu has a job that stops in the area. Close enough.



You have learned to hate slide rules again, after a long time of not having to crunch numbers. The book's filled with them, and they pointed you here.

And your detector is clicking wildly.

You'd be sticking around, and actually find out what the hell is going on, but... they're moving the box.

Turn this into an opportunity.



The leader of the caravan steps out of the front wagon. He's bald, forty-something and has a leather eyepatch on his left eye.

"Fu Dian," he greets. "You two without the horses... Other Vasily can sit next to me, and the Song Jiang-wannabe can guard the rear. Ghengis can ride out in front, the monk on the left, the girl to my right."

"Route's simple enough. We head out, to Sartu, from there to Qiqihar, over the mountains to Hailar. We'll be out of Wang by then. From there we travel to Chita, and then we take a bit of a detour to Irkutsk; have some things to trade. We head south from there, across the Sayans, to Murun."

"What we do next depends on local conditions."

"We could head further west, to Ulaangom, then to Gorno-Altaysk, then to Semey, and then Almaty. From there it's pretty straightforward to Samarkand. Problem's that it spends about half its time in Turkestan. That means taxes unless the whole khanate is in chaos."

"We could also head more southerly from Murun, to Uliastai, and cross the desert to Urumqi. From there we follow the Tian Shan all the way to Kashgar, and then cross to Kokand, and then Samarkand. There are bandits, and there are deserts and mountains, but it is much more direct."

He gets up on the front wagon.

"Once we get there, how you get back's up to you. Plan for us is to winter there and then head back. Might bring something back if we get a good deal."

"I've got two rules: don't mess with the crew, and don't mess with the package."

The caravan takes off.



"...this isn't actually the weirdest thing I've delivered for Xu," Fu explains. "We had a buyer in Gansu once who was getting this really abstract piece from America-- the federation, mind you, not the imperialists in Wo-- and they ship it in, and we get it, and Xu's pissed and we have no idea. I ask him, and he says, I poo poo you not, 'the container is the piece'! The bastards in Vladivostok marked the thing, and we had to scramble to repaint it from the photograph. Buyer didn't notice a thing."

"Still, no idea what some imam out in the middle of nowhere wants with whatever the hell this is. Didn't think the Nurids were really big on art."

You've gotten a better idea of the crew by now.

Fu Heiquan, Dian's son, sits by the campfire. He's bald like his father, but more imposing of a figure, and mute. Despite that, he's got the same sense of jolliness. He's the dedicated packer, calculator, and keeper of inventory. You get the feeling that he could drive one of the wagons-- the mules are pretty responsive to him-- but everyone else would have trouble communicating.

Murad is setting up a tent. He's fairly young, four-eyed, of ambiguous ethnicity and odd garments, and mostly keeps to himself. He drives the middle wagon and usually prepares dinner.

Ma Qiang is helping Murad, though not very well. He's square-jawed and a bit on the rounder side, with near unnaturally flowing brown hair; what Budai is to the Buddha, Ma is to Jesus. When not driving the back wagon, he does the talking and trading.

The night is much drier this time around.



It's been three days on the road without incident. You're just north of Honggang, and the road has turned once again into endless farmland. You approach an abandoned orchard.

An axe swooshes by into one of the trees.

A man jumps out of the bushes. He has dark spiked hair, a black bandana covering his face below the eyes, leather covering his arms, chest, and legs, metal protecting the rest of his torso.

He draws a hatchet, and then, in a stunning display of choreography, quite a few (everyone but Meifeng: eleven) bandits pop up from behind trees, each brandishing a hatchet.



The leader looks around, and takes a look at the heavily armed party.

"Oh wait, no, this isn't it," he says. Everyone lowers their weapons like they are in a chorus line.

"False alarm, apologies for the inconvenience, all that. We're, uh, waiting for someone else. We good?"

A few move off to the side. They look like they'll let you pass.

What do you do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardinal Ximenez
Oct 25, 2008

"You could call it heroic responsibility, maybe," Harry Potter said. "Not like the usual sort. It means that whatever happens, no matter what, it's always your fault."


Style Guide:

Character Name

in character
out of character
do something of consequence (assuming no objections or not really controversial)
unilaterally do something

Present tense, third person is recommended. You may use Orokos for public rolls, but this is not mandatory. Please list the relevant skill in either case.

(e.g.)

Player A posted:

Alice

She's scared. Her existence is an entirely transitory construct to fulfill the role of an example session of play.

She hyperventilates.

It's okay, Alice, she thinks. It will all end soon. She goes to her happy place.

---

Will-10 to stop panicking: 3d6 9

Awesome.

Player B posted:

Bob

Robert "Bob" Bravo pouts in a corner.

"I hate it when you get all existential."

He sends a haymaker towards Alice.

---

Brawling-10 to punch Alice: 3d6 12

Crap.

chitoryu12
Apr 23, 2014

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!


Lu Lin Yong

The young man snorts. "Psh, a bunch of Song Jiang wannabes," he mutters. It's a bit lonely in the back, but that's how he's been operating since the ambush so long ago: alone. He may have spent years with a crew, but he's gotten used to having to take care of himself.

He ignores the bandits....sort of. He makes a play of seeming casual and dismissive, but keeps them in his peripheral vision to avoid a surprise.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

Tengeradu

The flat-faced man grimaces at the mention of Turkestan. "I'd prefer the more southerly route. I don't exactly get along with the Khanate." Without waiting for a response, Tengeradu vaults into the saddle and nudges his stocky horse forwards.



Tengeradu sits back againt the flank of his horse, staring into the camp fire, and begins to sing. He's no great singer, but the droning tone is pleasant enough.



Tengeradu wheels his horse around, and nocks and arrow, moving around the flank the band of brigands. "Who exactly are you waiting for? and how do we know you won't attack us from behind, or follow us and slit our throats in the night?"

Is the whole caravan here with us?

pre:
Ts. (Tsenker) Tengeraduu
5'5", 120 lbs. Short black hair, dark brown eyes.. Tengeraduu has a weathered face, and often seems rather grim.

200/-58

Attributes: [110]
ST 12 [20]     HP 13 [2]
DX 12 [40]     Will 11
IQ 10 [20]     Per 12 [5]
HT 12 [20]     FP 13 [3]

Damage: Thrust 1d-1. Swing 1d+2
Basic Speed: 6
Basic Move: 5 [-5]
Basic Lift: 29 lbs

TL 5
Languages: (Spoken/Written)
Mongolian (Native/Broken [-2]
Mandarin (Accented/Broken) [3]
Russian (Broken/Broken) [2]
Pan-Kipchak (Broken/Broken) [2]

Advantages: [48]
Absolute Direction [5]
Acute Vision 2 [4]
Combat Reflexes [15]
Heroic Archer [20]
Signature Gear (Mount and tack) [2]
Cutting-Edge Training (Guns) [1]
Better Weapons [1]


Disadvantages: [-58]
Callous [-5]
Code of Honor (Pirate's) [-5]
Dependant (Widowed mother, 25%; loved one; 6 or less) [-10]
Enemy [Khanate of Turkestan, Hunter, 6 or less) [-20]
Intolerance [Turkestanians] [-3]
Light Sleeper [-5]
Sense of Duty (Companions) [-5]
Mongolian Patriot [-1]
Bowlegged [-1]
Superstitious [-1]
Doesn't like to sleep indoors [-1]
TBD [-1]

Skills: [100] 
Steppe! (VH) DX or IQ +1 [36] 
(Animal Handling, Area Knowledge (Eurasian Steppe), Armoury, First-Aid, 
Housekeeping, Packing, Professional Skill (Butcher, Clothmaker, and Tanner), 
Riding, Sewing, Survival (Plains), Teamster, Tracking, and Veterinary. Use in 
place of Politics or Savoir-Faire when dealing with nomad clans. 
Bow DX+3 15 [12]
Brawling DX+1 13 [2]
Fast-Draw (Arrows) DX+2 15* [4]
Guns/TL7 (Rifle) DX+2 14 [4]
Knife DX+2 14 [4]
Riding (Horse) DX+4 16 [16]
Wrestling DX+1 13 [4]
Stealth DX+1 13 [4]

Techniques:
Hands-Free Riding 16 [4]
Horse Archery 15 [5]
Mounted Shooting (Guns/Riding) 12 [3]
Quick Mount 15 [2]

*+1 for Combat Reflexes


Equipment:

Cavalry Horse (Basic lift 97 lbs. Basic load is 97 lbs exactly.)
	Tack (Bit and Bridle, War saddle with Stirrups, Saddlebags, Nosebag), 81 lbs loaded
	Rifle Scabbard (With SKS), 10 lbs
	2 full hip quivers, $55, 3 lbs each.
		
	
Armor: $515, 36 lbs
Shirt and pants, $100, 3 lbs
Terleg (Padded coat, DR 2* on Torso, Arms, Thighs) $290, 23 lbs
Boots (DR 2* on Feet, Shins) $90, 7.2 lbs
Duyulya (Cloth hat, DR 2* on Skull, Cheeks, Ears. Gives Hard of Hearing) $35, 2.8 lbs

Weapons: 
Reflex Bow (1d+2 imp, Acc 3, Range 180/240, RoF 1, Shots 1(2), ST 10t, Bulk -7) $900, 2.25 lbs
Makarov PM, 9x18mm (2d pi, Acc 2, Range 110/1,200, RoF 3, Shots 8+1(3), ST 8, Bulk -2, Rcl 2) $250/$26, 1.8/0.3 lbs
SKS, 7.62x39mm (5d+1 pi, Acc 4, Range 500/3,100, RoF 3, Shots 10(3), ST 9t, Bulk -5, Rcl 3) $350, 8.9/0.4 lbs
Long Knife (1d+1 Cut or 1d-1 Imp; Reach C,1; Parry 0, ST 7) $120, 1.5 lbs


Gear: 
Belt, $10, neg
	Military Holster (Contains Makarov PM and 1 magazine) $50, 4.1 lbs
	Hip Quiver (20 Arrows), $55, 3 lbs

Waist pack,  $10, 8 lbs loaded
	Personal Basics, $5, 1 lb
	Binoculars (TL6), $400, 2 lbs
	Bandages, $10, 2 lbs
	5 Clips for SKS ($6, 0.4 lbs each), $30, 2 lbs
	
	
In Saddlebags: 
	Blanket, $20, 4 lbs
	One-man Tent, $50, 5 lbs
	Waterskin (Full of water), $10, 8.25 lbs
	Grain (Horse fodder) $15, 15 lbs
	Traveler's Rations, 15 meals, $30, 7.5 lbs

On foot Tengeraduu carries 54 lbs, putting him at Light encumbrance. When he is riding, his horse carries 271 lbs, 
putting his horse at Medium Encumbrance.  
	
$2034

Beardless fucked around with this message at Aug 17, 2014 around 14:14

Cardinal Ximenez
Oct 25, 2008

"You could call it heroic responsibility, maybe," Harry Potter said. "Not like the usual sort. It means that whatever happens, no matter what, it's always your fault."


Beardless posted:

Is the whole caravan here with us?

Yes, in the formation described in the OP. I'm currently assuming you are about three or four yards from the main swarm of bandits and the leader, and the rest of you can position yourselves where you'd like while there's talking.

---

Most of the gang raises their axes. The leader does not.

"Whoa, whoa, let's not escalate this," he recommends. "To answer your question: none of your goddamn business."

He grins.

chitoryu12
Apr 23, 2014

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!


Lu Lin Yong

Lu grimaces and crosses his arms at his stomach, focusing his senses around himself to prepare for any sudden movement toward him. Anyone who looked at him would find the position slightly odd, with the arms tucked under the opposing armpit at a downward angle; this is because his posture is an attempt to disguise preparation to cross-draw his gun and sword as a casual motion of annoyance.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at Aug 13, 2014 around 22:59

BeefSupreme
Sep 14, 2007


Vasily

Vasily sits up straight and rubs his eyes with the thumb and pointer finger of one hand. He is tired; he is often tired, since he doesn't sleep well, and it is exceedingly difficult to get any manner of rest while in a wagon on a bumpy road. These bandits aren't doing his mental state any favors.

"We've got places to be, and you've got other, less well-armed people to rob," Vasily offers, seeing no response forthcoming from Dian. "Take a hike back into the brush and we'll move right along."

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

Tengeradu

Tengeradu nudges his horse and it take a few dance-like steps sideways, out of reach of the bandits but within easy bowshot. With his horse facing more or less the direction that the caravan is traveling, Tengeradu twists in the saddle, poised to loose an arrow or spring away as necessary.

Tengeradu will wait until the caravan passes by, and then assuming that the bandits take no hostile action he'll ride away.

Beardless fucked around with this message at Aug 13, 2014 around 16:36

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!





White Demon Lu

Lu shifted uneasily in his seat, sizing up the bandits. They had a slim, unhealthy look to them, faces drawn predatory tight across their cheekbones, like foxes, like wolves. These would not be Black Lotus men (For all its other sins, the Lotus fed its sons well) but still Lu had an urge to leap from his saddle and attack, to gouge out their eyes and snap their spines like dry twigs. He had nothing but contempt for men who made their way by preying upon the weakness of others. They were worms lesser worms than those he sought, perhaps, but no less deserving of being crushed.

But Lu was hired as a guard, which meant he was honor bound to put the safety of the cargo before his own desire for justice. Lu hated the mercenary trade that forced him into such compromises, but realistically there weren't that many occupations open for someone who's primary skill was hurting other people. In truth it was his honor that made him something different from common bandits such as these.

He swung his horse around and trotted toward the bandit leader, his eagle Zhenghi spreading its wings in irritation and shifting on its perch at the sudden movement.

"Perhaps not. But when you threaten a caravan we guard it becomes our business, no?" he said. "We need some assurance that it truly is none of our concern before we can let you go."

chitoryu12
Apr 23, 2014

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!


Lu Lin Yong

Lu steps slightly off the trail, allowing him to see the leader. He shouts at him "I was once just like you! If you are honorable thieves like I was, then you will truly allow us to pass!"

Cardinal Ximenez
Oct 25, 2008

"You could call it heroic responsibility, maybe," Harry Potter said. "Not like the usual sort. It means that whatever happens, no matter what, it's always your fault."


The leader grunts at the horses and people moving to flank his group.

"You're the ones doing a bloody shakedown," he grumbles. "You aren't the thugs we're looking for. We're, uh, watching out for whoever decided that riding into Sartu and torching half the city was a good idea, and then we are gonna beat the poo poo out of 'em. And take their things."

You haven't heard anything about Sartu being under attack. There would have been news if it happened more than a day ago.

"But you folks aren't them, as I, increasingly and obnoxiously clearly, can tell, you have a hard-on for dashing heroics and sticking your nose where it doesn't belong. So I suggest you do as we said and walk away."

He gestures forth as the gang backs up, leaving a path inbetween them, and widening their line.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!





White Demon Lu

"Sartu has been attacked? We've heard nothing about this, when did it happen?" Lu said.

"That's actually where we're headed..." he grumbled.

Cardinal Ximenez
Oct 25, 2008

"You could call it heroic responsibility, maybe," Harry Potter said. "Not like the usual sort. It means that whatever happens, no matter what, it's always your fault."


"Spare us the interrogation and get moving."

BeefSupreme
Sep 14, 2007


Vasily

"Agreed. Dian, can we move this along?" Christ, Vasily thought (that was one of the English expressions he'd picked up--and he must admit, it's fun to say). These men I've joined with are jumpy and have a hard-on for dramatics. "Anything we can learn from these men we can learn in Sartu itself."

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Pipe rifles and snack cakes.


Meifeng Ts'ao

Meifeng sits atop her horse, plucking the strings of her pipa as she gives it some light tuning. The notes are pretty pretty, but without any flow to them it sounds a bit disjointed. She looks over to the cluster of highwaymen as they converse with her companions, and despite the weapons they seem like decent folk.

Meifeng taps her horse with a heel and moves it in a few feet closer to the bandits.

"Thank you for allowing us safe passage," she says to the collective group, though making sure to glance mainly at the leader. "While I understand your hesitation at our questioning, and I don't wish to take advantage of you or spoil you plan, I believe it'd be best if we knew what to expect in Sartu. You have many among you, and we as well, but without knowledge a serious threat can spell disaster."

She reaches back and pats her mount's saddlebags. "In exchange, I would have no problem sparing some of my tobacco and matches for all of you." Meifeng smiles warmly. "Tense nerves can be detrimental in combat."

Diplomacy (11): 3d6 12

poo poo. Guessing the tobacco offer doesn't help at all?

Cardinal Ximenez
Oct 25, 2008

"You could call it heroic responsibility, maybe," Harry Potter said. "Not like the usual sort. It means that whatever happens, no matter what, it's always your fault."


The group smiles at the mention of a gift.

"Ah, now she understands us," the leader says, plucking the box out of Meifeng's hands. "The kind of respect we deserve..."

He lights up a promptly-rolled cigar.

"Bunch of... martial artists, I suppose, rode in yesterday from all sides. No guns, maybe two or three crossbows. Killed the party chief, mayor and a bunch of business bigwigs. Set fire to anything they could find. Surprisingly little looting. There were only about twenty of them, so far, but their goals don't seem to match their numbers. We think there's more coming."

"Looked like they were heading to the oilfield, before the militia got organized and finally repelled them. Took a beating, though, and the thugs aren't really any worse for it."

The elder Fu contemplates.

"We still have to go through the city," he says. "Cutting across this terrain either means farms or swamp. It would hardly be safer, and it would take thrice as long figuring out the local roads."

---

Meifeng loses her tobacco as it is distributed to the bandits upstanding citizens.

Are there any changes in formation or preparations you wish to make, or shall you directly proceed to Sartu? (It is currently about noon, you'll arrive in the evening.)

chitoryu12
Apr 23, 2014

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!


Lu Lin Yong

Lu spits on the ground and uncrosses his arms. "Bah, murderers of innocent people are the worst scum. And no guns? Perhaps they are overconfident! I see little threat to the caravan if we are all competent."

Lu wants to stay in the initial formation and continue on to town.

BeefSupreme
Sep 14, 2007


Vasily

"Martial artists, you suppose? What does that mean?" Vasily mutters to himself as they roll past the bandits. He turns toward Lu Lin Yong.

"I doubt the dead men--village leaders, by that bandit's account--were innocent. Men with enemies like those described rarely are." Vasily squints at the man, one of the younger members of the escort detail. Underestimating opponents is a dangerous game.

"Terrain concerns aside," Vasily says as he turns back toward Dian, "I do not believe we have much to fear in Sartu, if these bandits are not the looting type. They killed and burned, but they did not steal, or rather, they did not steal much--with the entire town at their mercy, it appears. That doesn't sound like a group that would be overly concerned with... artwork." Vasily rests on the last word, his word almost a question. What is in their package?

Satisfied with where I'm sitting. On to the village.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

Tengeradu

Tengeradu regards the caravan for a long moment, and nods to the other guards.
"As we get closer to Sartu, a few of us should ride ahead and see what there is to see. I can fight my way out of a trap if need be, but I wouldn't want to try it with the carts."

Cardinal Ximenez
Oct 25, 2008

"You could call it heroic responsibility, maybe," Harry Potter said. "Not like the usual sort. It means that whatever happens, no matter what, it's always your fault."


You decide that sending a scout ahead would be the best course of action. Tengeradu rides onward, in front, the caravan just in range of sight behind him.

The afternoon passes.



Tengeradu,

You're about a mile out of the town, still in the century-old ruins of the old town. The nukes didn't hit here, but conventional bombs did. A few buildings jut out of the rubble, constructed from a hodgepodge of debris and wood.

You hear the noise of galloping horses.

Four men, masked, clad in cloth caps and tunics split on the diagonal between black on the upper side and a verdant green on the lower, ride wildly, brandishing lit torches. One throws one at a nearby buildings, which turns alight.

The inhabitants scream as they pour out the building.

One of the men draws a shortsword from his scabbard, and yells something difficult to make out. He's close to a person who tripped in the road.

The riders are about 50 yards away, and clearly have swords and crossbows. The caravan is 500 yards back. There's no real cover on the middle of the road. They have line of sight to you, but seem to currently be distracted with looting and pillaging.

Will you intervene?

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

Tengeradu

Tengeradu grits his teeth, and nudges his horse forward a few steps.

He nocks an arrow, aims at the mount of the man who appears to be the leader, and then lets fly. Nocking another, he turns his horse perpendicular the the road and breaks into a gallop over the field, shouting and loosing another arrow towards the 4 men.

Basically my plan is to draw the bandits away from the road, than turn and ride back towards the caravan where the rest of you guys can help me gank them.

In terms of maneuvers, I'm describing a few rounds worth of poo poo here if that's okay. I'm taking two seconds to aim, and then an All=Out Attack (Determined). Base Skill is 15, SM is +1, Range is 50 yards, -8, Aiming for two rounds with Heroic Archer gives me +5, AOA(D) gives me +1, so my Effective skill is 14.
Attacking the Bandit's horse, Eff. Skill 14: 3d6 13

After that, I'm going to fast Fast-Draw an arrow (Skill 15) and take a ready maneuver.
Fast-Draw (Arrow), Skill 15: 3d6 10

Then I'll make a Move and Attack at one of their horses.
Base Skill is 15, SM is +1, I'm going to assume that range would still be 50 yards so -8, Heroic Archer gives me the Acc bonus of +3 AND lets me ignore the bulk penalty, and I'll be doing a parthian shot so that's -4, meaning my effective skill is 7.
Move and Attack, Eff. Skill 7: 3d6 13

Oh, also do you want us to list relevant combat stats in our fight-y posts?

BeefSupreme
Sep 14, 2007


Vasily

Although he agreed with sending a scouting party, Vasily did not agree with sending Tengeradu alone. Unfortunately, Vasily has no horse. And now he is acutely aware of his lack of observational implements. He really needs a pair of loving binoculars. Even so, Vasily does his best to observe the city.

"Does anybody have binoculars? A telescope? Anything?"

Attempting an Observation roll, skill 14. 3d6 = 7

chitoryu12
Apr 23, 2014

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!


Lu Lin Yong

"No, I have nothing!" Lu shouts from the back of the caravan.

Cardinal Ximenez
Oct 25, 2008

"You could call it heroic responsibility, maybe," Harry Potter said. "Not like the usual sort. It means that whatever happens, no matter what, it's always your fault."


Beardless posted:

Oh, also do you want us to list relevant combat stats in our fight-y posts?


This sounds good.

---

An arrow flies from Tengeradu's bow, piercing one of the horses' sides.

5 basic damage, 10 injury.

The horse neighs in pain, and bucks, before the rider manages to get it under control.

Another arrow zips past one of the horses, as Tengeradu goes off-road, into the debris-covered field. The riders draw their crossbows and start galloping towards their attacker.

Everyone in the caravan notices the commotion.

---

The horses are now a few yards closer to the caravan. The enemy riders haven't spotted it yet.

Tengeradu is now riding through the debris, and the enemies are about to be in it; it's open enough that there aren't penalties to movement, but the random distribution of rubble provides some occasional cover (-1 to attacks through it) and causes some sharp, unexpected movements from the mount (-1 to attacks).

chitoryu12
Apr 23, 2014

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!


Lu Lin Yong

"poo poo, that's not good" Lu says. He immediately draws his weapons, the .45 Mauser in his right hand and the dao in his left, and runs to the front. "We need to help!"

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!





White Demon Lu

Lu retrieves his spyglass from his pack and tosses it to Vasily.

"If he's leading them back our way we'd be better preparing to meet them here rather than riding into them and giving up an ambush," he says. "Honored Zu, please move the carts back away from the fray. We will deal with these worms."

He pulls the hood from Zenghi's head and whistles, and the Eagle takes flight, circling the battlefield.

Having my eagle take off so it doesn't get in the way during the fight. I will signal it with a whistle to try to get it to attack a fools during the fight. Falconry: 3d6 10 It's one of these guys for reference.

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Pipe rifles and snack cakes.


Meifeng Ts'ao

Meifeng nods at Lu's statement.

"Agreed. We can't afford to expose the caravan to attack."

Meifeng guides her horse to the left side of the road and pulls her Tokarev, readying herself for combat.

chitoryu12
Apr 23, 2014

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!


Lu Lin Yong

"Well, then we should prepare to face them!" Lu exclaims. He turns back toward the caravan drivers. "Get these carts off the road so they're out of the line of fire. We should prepare an ambush."

BeefSupreme
Sep 14, 2007


Vasily

Vasily takes Lu's spyglass and holds it up to his eye. He sweeps the horizon to the left, then right, then focuses on the fracas. It would be nice to know what Tengeradu was bringing down on them. "Dammit, he was supposed to be a scout, not a goddamn assault party."

Scanning, looking for additional bad guys, then focusing on Tengeradu and his friends. Don't have my book handy, so don't know the bonus for a telescope.

Observation 14 + (telescope) = 3d6: 12

Cardinal Ximenez
Oct 25, 2008

"You could call it heroic responsibility, maybe," Harry Potter said. "Not like the usual sort. It means that whatever happens, no matter what, it's always your fault."


Tengeradu rides through the ruins, trying to pull the attackers towards the caravan. All of them ready their crossbows, aim, and fire. All of the bolts miss.

Meanwhile, the caravan gets out of the way, and the party sets up for an ambush. White Demon Lu unleashes his eagle, and Vasily looks around for more hostiles.

---

Vasily: You don't spot any more enemies, but your line of sight is fairly obstructed by the low angle and the buildings. The riders chasing Tengeradu haven't spotted the rest of the party yet.

~430 yards away now; when does everybody fire, and on what? Are you looking for cover?

chitoryu12
Apr 23, 2014

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!


Lu Lin Yong

Lu begins scanning the area around him for ambush points. A long history of ambushing caravans not unlike the one he's guarding now provides some perspective; he looks for any rubble, brush, thick trees, and such that he could use to conceal himself from view. When the riders come within melee range, he will strike.

Stealth 15 to determine how to most effectively hide: 9.

Going to hide until the enemies are within 10 yards, then begin the ambush with a charge and gunshots.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at Aug 22, 2014 around 23:51

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

Tengeradu

Tengeradu glances over his shoulder, and continues to ride towards the caravan, sending another arrow towards the pursuers, as much to keep them honest as anything.

Move and attack at the horse of whoever's in the lead. Base Skill is 15, SM is +1, I'm gonna stick to 50 yards so -8, Acc +3, No Bulk penalty, -4 for Parthian shot, then -2 for the terrain, effective skill of a whopping 5.

Move and Attack, Eff. Skill 5: 3d6 16

Cardinal Ximenez
Oct 25, 2008

"You could call it heroic responsibility, maybe," Harry Potter said. "Not like the usual sort. It means that whatever happens, no matter what, it's always your fault."


CRIT FAIL!

Let's see what happens:

Tengeradu Critical Miss: 3d6 16


---

Tengeradu fires an arrow at his pursuers, which flops onto the ground as he is knocked by a bump in the debris, stunning him for a second.

Lu hides behind a stone pillar, and awaits the group.

---

Riders are at 420 yards. It's going to take slightly less than a minute to pass the caravan. What is Tengeradu's general strategy?

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Pipe rifles and snack cakes.


Meifeng Ts'ao

To prepare for the ambush, Meifeng rides her horse off into the bushes before standing up on its back and hopping up into the nearest tree. Master Mui's acrobatic training had its upsides, after all.

Climb tree (Climbing 12): 3d6 9

Once settled, she waits for Lu's attack before acting.

Meifeng is going to wait for Lu to start firing, and then use her position to try to catch them blindsided with her own gun. If you want me to make a stealth roll as well to conceal herself in the canopy, just ask.

chitoryu12
Apr 23, 2014

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!


Lu Lin Yong

Lu quickly runs off the road and behind a convenient stone pillar, likely a remnant of a past structure that once stood here. It was solid enough that just about anything short of a cannon would fail to penetrate, giving him plenty of protection as well as keeping him out of sight until he prepared to strike.

As far as he was concerned, this would not violate his personal code of honor. They were trying to kill a member of his party. Protecting others from death (especially those he rode with) was just.

Waiting for the riders to fall into their ambush (and hoping that Tengeradu would keep leading them this way), Lu quickly flicks the safety off on his Type 17 and slightly pulls the bolt back. Satisfied at the gleam of .45 ACP brass (probably made in the Federation), he releases the bolt and prepares to unleash ten rounds of hell.

A guy with a sword against a charging maniac with a gun? Never ends well for the sword.

Cardinal Ximenez
Oct 25, 2008

"You could call it heroic responsibility, maybe," Harry Potter said. "Not like the usual sort. It means that whatever happens, no matter what, it's always your fault."


Leaving for the weekend (Dragoncon). Will be back around Tuesday with an update.

Cardinal Ximenez
Oct 25, 2008

"You could call it heroic responsibility, maybe," Harry Potter said. "Not like the usual sort. It means that whatever happens, no matter what, it's always your fault."


A curtain of bullets rains down on the unsuspecting attackers, their horses braying with shock and pain. One of the bullets strikes right in the head, the other in the chest. Both seem to kill their targets.

The remaining two dismount from their horses, draw their weapons, and seem poised to attack.

---

There are two warriors near the party (5 yards). Tengeradu is still on his horse, Meifeng is up in the tree and Lu Lin Yong is back behind his pillar. Everyone is faster than them.

It is your turn.

chitoryu12
Apr 23, 2014

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!


Lu Lin Yong

As soon as neither warrior is looking directly at him, Lu circles around the pillar and begins to sprint full tilt for the two warriors. In less than a second he has come upon them, and he raises and fires two shots at nearly point blank range from his Type 17.

Performing a Move And Attack maneuver with the pistol, since Lu has a Basic Move of 7 and easily closes the gap.

Move And Attack gives -3 to ranged attacks from the Mauser's Bulk, but choosing to charge directly out of cover and fight in close combat means that Daredevil gives +1 to the roll for a total penalty of -2.

Guns (Pistol) 16, with effective skill of 14: 12

Type 17 deals 2d pi+ damage, firing two shots. Recoil 3 with a margin of success of 2 means that one shot hits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardinal Ximenez
Oct 25, 2008

"You could call it heroic responsibility, maybe," Harry Potter said. "Not like the usual sort. It means that whatever happens, no matter what, it's always your fault."


One of the attackers takes a clear hit to the chest, making him yelp in pain, but he's still standing.

---

6 basic damage

Meifeng, Tengeradu, White Demon Lu and Vasily are up.

  • Locked thread