Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

mastershakeman posted:

Wait, there was a tank there? Not like a MRAP but an actual M1A1?

No, they have a Bearcat and a Maxxpro. Armored vans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

McDowell posted:

Another tragic example of why anyone permitted to use lethal force should be wearing recording devices. Looting is a shameful behavior but opportunists wouldn't even have get an opening if oversight could improve people's trust in the police.

This really cannot be said enough. Any public employee that carries a weapon of any kind (gun, taser, even just pepper spray) should have a camera at all times while they have the weapon on them. It's such a no-brainer thing.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Ernie Muppari posted:

Uh, don't you mean a General Dynamics Land Systems M1A2 Main Battle Tank with a Tank Urban Survival Kit and soldiers wearing Manpads?

:goonsay:

It's important not to use hyperbole here, because the only reason to send an actual tank in is to look good for the cameras or because you're explicitly planning to kill people.

And a MANPADS is a weapon not a piece of clothing

Who What Now posted:

This really cannot be said enough. Any public employee that carries a weapon of any kind (gun, taser, even just pepper spray) should have a camera at all times while they have the weapon on them. It's such a no-brainer thing.

There have even been studies that find putting cameras on cops is good for the police because they don't have to deal with people falsely claiming to have been subject to police brutality. The only reason not to put cameras on cops is because you want to keep doing genuine police brutality.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

mastershakeman posted:

Wait, there was a tank there? Not like a MRAP but an actual M1A1?

Never change goons, never change.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Who What Now posted:

go read the last couple pages of the GiP ask cops thread if you want to see the sort of arguments police make against such measures.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

And a MANPADS is a weapon not a piece of clothing

It's easy to confuse the two, but MANPADS is an acronym for MAN Portable Air-Defense System, whereas Manpads is a brand of masculine hygiene product.

:goonsay:

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Dang, I was going to make a thread about this when I got home from work, but I'm not mad someone else beat me to it. I'll post what I have as a resource anyway.

Note: This is all from published or media sources unless otherwise noted.

This is 17 year old Mike Brown, recent high school graduate who was planning on going to vocational school starting August 11th, 2014. He was murdered by a Ferguson police officer on Saturday, August 9th, 2014.

On Saturday afternoon, Mike Brown and a friend were walking down the street towards their homes when a police car approached them.

quote:

About 20 minutes before the shooting, Johnson said he saw Brown walking down the street and decided to catch up with him. The two walked and talked. That’s when Johnson says they saw the police car rolling up to them.

The officer demanded that the two “get the f—k on the sidewalk,” Johnson says. “His exact words were get the f—k on the sidewalk.”

After telling the officer that they were almost at their destination, Johnson’s house, the two continued walking. But as they did, Johnson says the officer slammed his brakes and threw his truck in reverse, nearly hitting them.

Now, in line with the officer’s driver’s side door, they could see the officer’s face. They heard him say something to the effect of, “what’d you say?” At the same time, Johnson says the officer attempted to thrust his door open but the door slammed into Brown and bounced closed. Johnson says the officer, with his left hand, grabbed Brown by the neck.

“I could see the muscles in his forearm,” Johnson said. “Mike was trying to get away from being choked.”

“They’re not wrestling so much as his arm went from his throat to now clenched on his shirt,” Johnson explained of the scene between Brown and the officer. “It’s like tug of war. He’s trying to pull him in. He’s pulling away, that’s when I heard, ‘I’m gonna shoot you.’”

At that moment, Johnson says he fixed his gaze on the officer to see if he was pulling a stun gun or a real gun. That’s when he saw the muzzle of the officer’s gun.

“I seen the barrel of the gun pointed at my friend,” he said. “He had it pointed at him and said ‘I’ll shoot,’ one more time.”

A second later Johnson said he heard the first shot go off.

“I seen the fire come out of the barrell,” he said. “I could see so vividly what was going on because I was so close.”

Johnson says he was within arm’s reach of both Brown and the officer. He looked over at Brown and saw blood pooling through his shirt on the right side of the body.

“The whole time [the officer] was holding my friend until the gun went off,” Johnson noted.

Brown and Johnson took off running together. There were three cars lined up along the side of the street. Johnson says he ducked behind the first car, whose two passengers were screaming. Crouching down a bit, he watched Brown run past.

“Keep running, bro!,” he said Brown yelled. Then Brown yelled it a second time. Those would be the last words Johnson’s friend, “Big Mike,” would ever say to him.

Brown made it past the third car. Then, “blam!” the officer took his second shot, striking Brown in the back. At that point, Johnson says Brown stopped, turned with his hands up and said “I don’t have a gun, stop shooting!”

By that point, Johnson says the officer and Brown were face-to-face. The officer then fired several more shots. Johnson described watching Brown go from standing with his hands up to crumbling to the ground and curling into a fetal position.

Source: http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/eyewitness-michael-brown-fatal-shooting-missouri

The events at the time of the shooting were unclear. First news media reported that Mike Brown had shoplifted from a local store and been shot upon fleeing police (untrue). Then it was spread that he had attacked a police officer unprovoked and been shot in response after attempting to seize the officer's firearm (untrue). So far the account above is the only eyewitness account, which has been unconfirmed by police, as the witness has not been interviewed or questioned. There are also reports that the officer in question did not have his dash cam activated at the time of the shooting, and that Ferguson police seized camera footage from CCTV security systems which may have recorded the event shortly after the shooting.

Saturday night there was some protest and general anger by the Ferguson community, especially as Mike Brown's body was left in the street for 4-6 hours after the shooting. Sunday a riot broke out, and that was limited to a handful of stores in Ferguson, including the Quiktrip store that was originally claimed where Mike Brown had shoplifted from.

All day Monday and into the evening there were protests and vigils planned in Mike Brown's memory, but as the night began the STL and Ferguson PD responded by adopting aggressive posture towards the protesters during the day, overreacted to a fight at the STL Galleria with 25 cop cars, shut down Washington University in STL due to "threats of violence" (despite Ferguson being nowhere near WU) and then once it became apparent that the community intended to protest and/or march into the evening, went into full blown riot protocol with all their best paramilitary equipment and tactics, culminating in firing rubber bullets into crowds, pointing loaded weapons at unarmed citizens (including an STL alderman), shooting tear gas into backyards and porches, throwing a pregnant woman into the street, and violating the rights of media. They justified this by saying they were trying to disperse a "violent crowd", but they did so by basically shutting down every road in and out of Ferguson, essentially trapping anyone who had gone there to protest (or who was there just to work) and then hounding them throughout the night.

Video footage from Monday night: https://twitter.com/brownblaze/status/499072600656449536
Ferguson PD tear gassing people on private property: https://twitter.com/fxmatt4/status/499307027349667840, http://blogs.riverfronttimes.com/dailyrft/2014/08/police_in_ferguson_fire_tear_gas_on_protesters_with_hands_up_in_their_own_backyard.php
Police brandishing automatic weapons at unarmed citizens:

Ferguson PD using uparmored vehicles and tactical gear: http://imgur.com/ZcsGcFf
Ferguson PD throw a pregnant woman to the ground, stomach first: https://twitter.com/AngryBlackLady/status/499053796966686720
Wooden pellets allegedly fired at protesters by Ferguson PD: http://imgur.com/0ymAfIE
Ferguson PD using tear gas and vehicle cordon to prevent media from entering Ferguson after dark: http://imgur.com/fCFyB56

In the latest news, air travel over Ferguson has been shut down for anything below 3000 ft (i.e. most news helicopters). Obama issued a statement today asking for calm and peace, but has yet to make any kind of official response besides asking AG Holder to look into the matter. If you're interested in what's actually happening I'd recommend following these Twitter accounts:

https://twitter.com/AntonioFrench (Alderman of 21st ward in STL, has been following and documenting this firsthand basically since a few hours after Mike Brown was murdered.)
https://twitter.com/Vandalyzm (local STL musician, has also been following and documenting on the ground, lots of info about community responses and planning.)
https://twitter.com/BrittanyNoble (STL reporter, has better access and insight than most others)

There's also an Anonymous group working on forcing the police to give up more information: https://twitter.com/OpFerguson

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Aug 12, 2014

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

So there's the no-fly zone bullshit and now I'm seeing rumors that the KKK is in Ferguson. This is beyond crazy. Things would have been more or less fine last night from the sound of it but they just keep escalating poo poo

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Feranon posted:

So there's the no-fly zone bullshit and now I'm seeing rumors that the KKK is in Ferguson. This is beyond crazy. Things would have been more or less fine last night from the sound of it but they just keep escalating poo poo

It's going to be a fun night, I'm going to get out and enjoy the tea- fresh air.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
The cop who shot the kid is also being paid at this very moment. Police Unions are utter poo poo.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Feranon posted:

The KKK thing is looking to be false; there's a picture floating around of a KKK rally happening in Clayton, which is unlikely, given that Clayton is a majority black neighborhood and the picture itself is from a KKK thing in Florida some years back.

There's a lot of disinfo getting floated about, so grain of salt and all that. There's enough attention on this now that things get vetted pretty quickly.

Elim Garak
Aug 5, 2010

Feranon posted:

The KKK picture going around is years old, apparently.

Edit: ^^^^^^^^

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
I heard earlier that Anonymous had apparently ID'd the cop in question. Was that fake?

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
If you're going out tonight pm me so we can meet up.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

If you're going to post a NWS image please post a description of what it is (I can guess, but I'd like to avoid having people need to guess).

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

thathonkey posted:

I heard earlier that Anonymous had apparently ID'd the cop in question. Was that fake?

They ID'd the person that posted the racist as gently caress video (who is a cop), but IIRC anonymous thinks they have the cop identified but are trying to confirm it so they don't look like the NY Post after the Boston Bombing.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

evilweasel posted:

If you're going to post a NWS image please post a description of what it is (I can guess, but I'd like to avoid having people need to guess).

The NWS picture isn't even all that graphic.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Agrajag posted:

The cop who shot the kid is also being paid at this very moment. Police Unions are utter poo poo.

Nah, thats standard for any union. Police unions just havent been watered down completely yet. Dont blame the union, blame the politicians.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

My Imaginary GF posted:

Nah, thats standard for any union. Police unions just havent been watered down completely yet. Dont blame the union, blame the politicians.

Agreed...I can't fault a union for protecting a member, they are legally required to do so.

Having said that, they wouldn't give a regular suspect the same benefit.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The union is doing its job. If the city gave a drat they'd release the guys name, arrest hime, and start the termination with cause process on him immediately.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
It just doesn't sit well with me that the guy who killed a kid is better protected than the kid he loving killed. Not counting the fact that the kid will probably be character assassinated in the media.

In my head it comes off as, "Oh gently caress one of our boys killed a kid? We better protect him from all the flak that will be coming his way pronto!"

Agrajag fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Aug 12, 2014

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Agrajag posted:

Not counting the fact that the kid will probably be character assassinated in the media.

"Probably"?

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Agrajag posted:

It just doesn't sit well with me that the guy who killed a kid is better protected than the kid he loving killed. Not counting the fact that the kid will probably be character assassinated in the media.

well see he was 17 and did [thing any teenager does]

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Zeitgueist posted:

"Probably"?

possibly?

The fact that due process for the officer involves him being paid while the kid's due process was absolutely nothing is also hosed up.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Theres already reports that he was shoplifting, thats why he was murdered in the middle of a street.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Siljmonster posted:

Theres already reports that he was shoplifting, thats why he was murdered in the middle of a street.

Why wouldn't that be part of the "cop version of the story" - this is the first I've heard of it. Their account is all "he went for the officers gun!" which seems... rather unlikely. Actually it sounds like the kind of thing you'd MAKE UP knowing that it needs to be something pretty serious like that to even have a CHANCE of warranting this kid being dead...

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
Isn't the officer who shot the handcuffed man in the back on a subway platform already out of jail for that murder? Yeah I don't think the burden of proof needs to be all that extensive to justify a shooting.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Siljmonster posted:

They said this first, but then no shopowners said they had called the police about shoplifting, so they're trying to memory hole that one.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
I can't believe I'm about to say good things about anon, but their insistence about getting laws passed to reduce police shooting minorities in response to this is shocking considering the majority of them are white males coming from middle class families, especially since I would imagine a decent percent of them throw ironic racism around constantly on chans and game comms.

Kind of an :unsmith: thing to think about.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

A Winner is Jew posted:

I can't believe I'm about to say good things about anon, but their insistence about getting laws passed to reduce police shooting minorities in response to this is shocking considering the majority of them are white males coming from middle class families, especially since I would imagine a decent percent of them throw ironic racism around constantly on chans and game comms.

Yeah I was thinking the same. I guess their hatred of the police and abuse of authority trumps everything else.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I think it's mostly "gently caress authority" thinking. Kinda sad that that's the moral and ethical way to think so often these days in America.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Or maybe anon is a catch-all term for a diverse group of people who's demographics and political beliefs aren't limited to /pol/?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Agrajag posted:

Isn't the officer who shot the handcuffed man in the back on a subway platform already out of jail for that murder? Yeah I don't think the burden of proof needs to be all that extensive to justify a shooting.

He was convicted of manslaughter of some sort. His defense was he thought he drew his tazer. The jury bought this because apparently his department had two different types of belts which had the weapons on opposite sides (?!?!)

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Typical Pubbie posted:

Or maybe anon is a catch-all term for a diverse group of people who's demographics and political beliefs aren't limited to /pol/?

nah

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Typical Pubbie posted:

Sorry, but look at any of the pictures from when they were protesting scientology. Those crowds were whiter than Ferguson PD.

vvv I was actually talking about the ones in the US, specifically the one in LA vvv

A Winner is Jew fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Aug 13, 2014

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
those protests were in the UK right?

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

Police brandishing automatic weapons at unarmed citizens:

Men, literally better equipped than Peshmerga dudes currently fighting ISIS, running around an American suburban neighborhood.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Radbot posted:

I think it's mostly "gently caress authority" thinking. Kinda sad that that's the moral and ethical way to think so often these days in America.

Typical Pubbie posted:

How about we agree on "both are fair presumptions that can't be disproven, and attempting to weigh which one is more applicable would be really loving hard to find evidence for" and not go into some pissing match when everyone is on the same side here?

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Chinatown posted:

Men, literally better equipped than Peshmerga dudes currently fighting ISIS, running around an American suburban neighborhood.

These dudes have better equipment than my battalion did in 2009 while gearing up for a deployment, and it seems like they have less stringent of a SOP regarding engagement with civilians than we did too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

A Winner is Jew posted:

Imagine the GBS-D&D split being reflected across all of Something Awful, and that's what 4chan is at the moment.

• Locked thread