Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shove me like you do
Dec 9, 2007

Real Neato

Fun Shoe

Agrajag posted:

Wow, are you kidding me? Note to self never visit the south.

Yeah I dont have much on it in the way of details but it was mentioned briefly in the stream above.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Chinatown posted:

I would love for someone to fly a drone around the scene.

Then again that sounds like a great way to get shot.
It'd be a great way to get federally skullfucked by the FAA if they got caught.

Badera
Jan 30, 2012

Student Brian Boyko has lost faith in America.

My Imaginary GF posted:

I've got friends in the halls of county justice and lived on the same block as a police chief, and from what I heard, there's a genuine fear that the looters will go mobile.

Safety only exists because citizens perceive the police as responsive. Soon enough, some citizens may realize just how thinly stretched the wide arms of the law can reach. And that's the genuine danger of this situation: there aren't enough police in the county to protect everything at once. White flight to the suburbs only works when those your fleeing are unable to reach you. With the replacement of mass transit systems, minorities and poors have had to buy cars.

I hope St. Louis, and all of Missouri, learn their lesson from these riots. I hope they realize the conservative nature at their root and enact some Democratic policies.

I can't tell if you're being serious here

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

If Al Sharpton gets gassed...oh my.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Most people think Al Sharpton is literally black Hitler instead of the American hero he actually is, because he once advocated for a rape victim who it turned out was dishonest, which is apparently the greatest sin imaginable. Imagine, taking the side of an alleged rape victim, what a monster.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

greatn posted:

Most people think Al Sharpton is literally black Hitler instead of the American hero he actually is, because he once advocated for a rape victim who it turned out was dishonest, which is apparently the greatest sin imaginable. Imagine, taking the side of an alleged rape victim, what a monster.

Not insignificant parts of the country think taking the side of an actual rape victim is monstrous so it makes sense.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Neo Rasa posted:

Not insignificant parts of the country think taking the side of an actual rape victim is monstrous so it makes sense.

Not insignificant parts of Missouri will tell you publicly that children get raped because they're asking for it.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

That's a burning dumpster btw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSkEMJSF1rg
People walked into the barricade and probably got arrested or some poo poo, I don't know.

I snuck around the roadblock and got to the apartments. About 5 minutes after walking around the area some guy came up to me and told me to go away, so I asked him why and he said just go, obviously a bit more tensely than that, but I'm just paraphrasing here, so bear with me. Then I met a group of black panthers who were concerned for my safety after another guy accused me of being a cop and we had an extremely interesting talk and now I respect them very deeply, to say the least. They really are great people just trying to help out their fellow man. They got some people together to put out the three garbage fires someone started because the fire department obviously wasn't going to. Stand up group of motherfuckers. The residents were antsy as gently caress though. If anything bad happens I guarantee that area is going to loving explode, it's a tinderbox. Even the police are staying away from that place. When I left I heard three pistol-caliber shots around the area, not sure what that was.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Neo Duckberg posted:

That's a burning dumpster btw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSkEMJSF1rg
People walked into the barricade and probably got arrested or some poo poo, I don't know.

I snuck around the roadblock and got to the apartments. About 5 minutes after walking around the area some guy came up to me and told me to go away, so I asked him why and he said just go, obviously a bit more tensely than that, but I'm just paraphrasing here, so bear with me. Then I met a group of black panthers who were concerned for my safety after another guy accused me of being a cop and we had an extremely interesting talk and now I respect them very deeply, to say the least. They really are great people just trying to help out their fellow man. They got some people together to put out the three garbage fires someone started because the fire department obviously wasn't going to. Stand up group of motherfuckers. The residents were antsy as gently caress though. If anything bad happens I guarantee that area is going to loving explode, it's a tinderbox. Even the police are staying away from that place. When I left I heard three pistol-caliber shots around the area, not sure what that was.

You can't blend in wearing topsiders I keep telling u

Efb it's a terrible joke anyway

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

zen death robot posted:

You wore khaki shorts and a polo didn't you?

I wore jeans and hoodie, bitch !!

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

According to the Anon twitter, there've been more gunshots.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think carrying the tennis racket and having the white sweater draped over your shoulders was probably a mistake.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Neo Duckberg posted:

I wore jeans and hoodie, bitch !!
duh shoulda worn seersucker

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

"If you'll excuse me, my dinner time is six o'clock. Only gangsters eat at 9 o'clock, after some bootlegging and a hot game of craps."

I read somewhere that they filmed "Escape From New York" in St Louis and right now I'm imagining it looking as it did in that film.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Get one of those stripper cop outfits.

D_I
Aug 31, 2004
My boss used to be high up in the NOPD and his quote on this situation was "Comply or die baby" *finger guns* Cops are great people.

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility
https://twitter.com/mattdpearce

This guy's got a good play by play (with pics) going. I dunno if he was posted on the first page because when I tried to load it my browser went weird.

edit:
Matt Pearce @mattdpearce · 22s
Portions of the crowd a bit wound up now, getting tougher to interview; got my first "white boy" interview cutoff.

Von Sloneker fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Aug 13, 2014

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Von Sloneker posted:

https://twitter.com/mattdpearce

This guy's got a good play by play (with pics) going. I dunno if he was posted on the first page because when I tried to load it my browser went weird.

The moment I leave, this is bullshit.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Dynastocles posted:

I read somewhere that they filmed "Escape From New York" in St Louis and right now I'm imagining it looking as it did in that film.

quote:

St. Louis, Missouri
Trivia: St. Louis was chosen because 4 city blocks had been burned out on April 2, 1976 during a massive urban fire and the area was more or less abandoned due to economic trouble at the time. It had a run down look that they wanted. The city's architecture was also similar to that of a major east coast city and it also had a big and accessible, yet closed bridge within close proximity (Old Chain Of Rocks Bridge.) as well as an old abandoned train station (St. Louis Union Station).

They decided early on that New York was not going to work because the look there would be much harder to control and make it look like a devastated city. Budgetary restraints and lack of necessary permission also prevent them to shoot the movie there. John Carpenter suggested going on a movie back lot and trash it, but Joe Alves (Production Designer) convinced him to use real streets for a more authentic look.

The city of St. Louis was very cooperative and helpful. They allowed the production to shut down all the electricity in this part of the town and do whatever was needed. It was the first major film in 15 years the city hosted, so they didn't even have a film commission.

It was Barry Bernardi (Location Manager) who found this city on a paid vacation to find the worst city in the United States. Adrienne Barbeau (Maggie) recalls being warned several times that it wasn't a good area of town to go walking. John Carpenter sprayed the streets with water to create the required look of the city.

The production design department would get their props by taking several dump trucks to the local garbage landfill sites and filling them up with junk like broken refrigerators and car shells. Every night teams would move in with bulldozers, piling up mountains of garbage and old cars ready for the rigorous night shooting. Just before dawn the same teams returned to clear the streets ready for the morning rush-hour traffic. All the debris, garbage and ruined cars were carefully stored in a local junkyard to await the next night's shooting.

The entire crew was plagued by persistent mosquitoes during a very hot and sticky St. Louis summer. Especially at the Old Chain of Rocks Bridge.

Kurt Russell recalls running down a street and around a corner without a crew visible and facing rugged resident's in St. Louis who quickly backed off. He later told Carpenter that this character is probably gonna work.

Source

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
When people tell me that America is a place of freedom where everyone has a voice, I just want to point to Ferguson.

You think an "Arab Spring" could ever happen here? No loving way. They would literally shoot all of us with armored tanks. And that isn't hyperbole either.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
"Hey boy what are you doing here" "I'm reporting"

"For who"

"I-I'm reporting for the goons"

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

zen death robot posted:

hosed up when InfoWars is livestreaming and actually being accurate (for now):

http://www.ustream.tv/RealAlexJones

And here I was about to go to bed.

On his show/twitter the past two days Jones, who at all other times won't shut up about militarization of the police, has placed the blame squarely on the protestors. That Infowars seems to have an accurate take now surprises me. I doubt it will last long. When it's Jones's staff however, the Infowars take tends to match the dry RT "look at how far America has fallen" cadence.

Tercio fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Aug 13, 2014

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

SedanChair posted:

"For who"

Heres my Press Pass!!!! Its a printout of my PayPal receipt for my account bu t....ah...stop hitting meeee..gahhhhhhhhhhh.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Chinatown posted:

Heres my Press Pass!!!! Its a printout of my PayPal receipt for my account bu t....ah...stop hitting meeee..gahhhhhhhhhhh.

For the record, are these unnamed assailants the cops or the residents?

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Bel Shazar posted:

The fact that you have to ask the question merely states the true situation of what is going on in Furgeson.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

SedanChair posted:

"For who"

Why don't you come on down here and I'll drive you to it buddy.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Chinatown posted:

It appeared he was interacting with residents mainly because he was able to discuss the situation with some people rather than being shot at/gassed.

Oh that much I got. I meant the ones on the imaginary attack related to the aforementioned Paypal receipt.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Bel Shazar posted:

No one's shot him so I'm assuming residents.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

the posted:

When people tell me that America is a place of freedom where everyone has a voice, I just want to point to Ferguson.

You think an "Arab Spring" could ever happen here? No loving way. They would literally shoot all of us with armored tanks. And that isn't hyperbole either.

Ditto.

Related to tonight's protest in Ferguson: Apparently there have been groups of (white) anarchists attempting to infiltrate the protests and use it as cover for lighting fires and generally attempting to provoke a harsh response from the Ferguson PD. Local activists have been running them off or ejecting them from the main protest groups: https://twitter.com/TefPoe/status/499410450199883776 (another good local twitter account to follow).

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

greatn posted:

To be fair most folks who hate Al Sharpton dislike him because he's black and vocal about racism. "Opportunist" and "the real racist" and "playing the race card to make money" and all that poo poo, codewords for uppity.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

Ditto.

Related to tonight's protest in Ferguson: Apparently there have been groups of (white) anarchists attempting to infiltrate the protests and use it as cover for lighting fires and generally attempting to provoke a harsh response from the Ferguson PD. https://twitter.com/TefPoe/status/499410450199883776 (another good local twitter account to follow).

All this does is make me want to repost this article: http://news.infoshop.org/article.php?story=20140811195113876

God, I'm from St Louis (went to the same high school as noted poster Stultus Maximus, and have very close family that live in Florissant which is a neighboring suburb to Ferguson) and I've got way too many emotions about this.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
They're either undercover cops or incredibly stupid idiots. Probably the latter.

D_I
Aug 31, 2004

chaos rhames posted:

They're either undercover cops or incredibly stupid idiots. Probably the latter.
One does not preclude the other.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

ALSO: if you want the best news/reaction/what the feeling is like on the ground, Hot 104.1 (STL radio station) has been utterly killing it the past few days: http://hot1041stl.com

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Zeitgueist posted:

To be fair most folks who hate Al Sharpton dislike him because he's black and vocal about racism. "Opportunist" and "the real racist" and "playing the race card to make money" and all that poo poo, codewords for uppity.

My favorite is "race baiter".

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Koalas March posted:

My favorite is "race baiter".

Basically this:

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

D_I posted:

One does not preclude the other.

I know but why would a cop light a dumpster on fire? There's looting and poo poo going on and the police can't escalate their response unless they have some landmines or gundams handy.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Basically this:

coolie hat and karate pajamas on one lady, black guy stabbing a white person, holy poo poo.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Real hurthling! posted:

coolie hat and karate pajamas on one lady, black guy stabbing a white person, holy poo poo.

Kelly is the cartoonist for the onion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D Lambent
Jul 28, 2014
Now a St. Louis County cop has shot someone who was allegedly pointing a handgun at him. This is EXACTLY what was needed, another police shooting. Man is in critical condition.. loving poo poo christ.

• Locked thread