Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Welp, I'm stuck.

I'm post bathroom peephole ghost, and the flashlight is white, and the clock is striking 12 but I have no idea what to do.

Most of the portrait is finished, just missing the top right hand side (forehead section and an eye), and I hear a baby giggle once.

Any clues on how to proceed? I can't figure out of the bell chimes mean anything, or if the baby means something. I've been staring at a phone for about an hour (both with and without the r3 button) and no luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Welp, I'm stuck.

I'm post bathroom peephole ghost, and the flashlight is white, and the clock is striking 12 but I have no idea what to do.

Most of the portrait is finished, just missing the top right hand side (forehead section and an eye), and I hear a baby giggle once.

Any clues on how to proceed? I can't figure out of the bell chimes mean anything, or if the baby means something. I've been staring at a phone for about an hour (both with and without the r3 button) and no luck.

From what I figured out, after each chime the groaning that you hear is slightly different each time and gets louder in different locations.

Seek out those spots and find something in those spots

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
It only chimes when it hits midnight and usually the lady will show up somewhere for you to see her. Sometimes it won't chime but she'll show up somewhere. Sometimes it will chime and she won't appear until a several seconds later. If you wait long enough she will usually show up again. If she shows up in the hallway and you get too close she'll jump into your body and you'll hear extra louder footsteps when you walk and she'll make noises when you stand still.

This is some Kojima bullshit, and he's the perfect rear end in a top hat to be making a horror game.

I'm convinced there's a random chance that you won't actually be able to finish the teaser and see the video.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
How do you trigger the end game? I've got up to stopping the chimes and completed the picture, had the two baby laughs and found all the ghosts

I thought after that the phone should ring and that should complete it?

Also gently caress this game, I'm not going to sleep tonight.

E: gently caress it, just watched the vid on YouTube.

Puddin fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Aug 13, 2014

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

MrSpiffy posted:

How incredible and totally within the realm of possibility would it be if the game popped you into an online queue with every other person wandering around the last part and randomly selected people to trigger the phone ringing?

Actually, I would be more willing the believe Kojima is a genius and figured out a way to either update the game without people knowing or there is a bunch of new content to slowly unlock on a timer. More and more getting revealed about the game through the teaser.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Puddin posted:

Also gently caress this game, I'm not going to sleep tonight.

E: gently caress it, just watched the vid on YouTube.

Seriously, I watched the twitch stream hours ago - I was cleaning my room earlier (it's night time now) but I can't look outside a window without thinking there might be someone standing there FURIOUSLY CONVULSING.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

TheMostFrench posted:

Seriously, I watched the twitch stream hours ago - I was cleaning my room earlier (it's night time now) but I can't look outside a window without thinking there might be someone standing there FURIOUSLY CONVULSING.

I live in a forest where outside my house is one street light. The only street light on my dirt road. Complete darkness past the first row of trees surrounding my home. How do you think I feel. Also one of my bathroom lights refused to work after I was done. Welp, still haven't slept.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Got baby laugh through walking backwards into the stairwell-room and that's it for the final section. I'll be trying to figure it out until the Konami special hour from Gamescom begins on Twitch at 20:00 CET.

Colours seem random, not tied to entering/leaving upon churchbells.

e: yeah screw that last part. Giving up again. Saw somebody do it by:
1) looping until the clock was empty and the light was natural
2) watching the clock until the ladyghost got crying
3) heading to the radio+X photo table until the baby giggled
4) then going to watch the phone until the pad started vibrating
5) picking up the phone once it started ringing (automatically by being near it?)
6) entering the loop door afterwards
7) end

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Aug 13, 2014

Tgent
Sep 6, 2011
Did anyone else see weird blue flashes on the screen at the start of the demo? Also the way you can see the ghosts shadow in your flashlight in some places creeped me way the hell out.

Tgent fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Aug 13, 2014

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

One time the ghost was just chilling in the hallway and I couldn't take it seriously because when I shine the light on it the ghost would just wiggle around or whatever.

Then it dashed at me and I jumped :smith:

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
Places I've seen the ghost or heard about the ghost appearing in the last section (perhaps you need to experience enough of these for the ending to trigger?):

-At the end of the hallways near the door, will run through/into you if you get close
-In the middle of the hall near the clock
-Outside shaking like mad
-Standing in the bathtub while you stare in the mirror with your guy on the left side of the mirror, she slowly and shakily walks out of the tub and up to the mirror and disappears, someone said they stopped focusing on the mirror during this and tried to leave before she disappeared and she attacked them
-Resetting the hall and the light in the foyer is on and she's standing under it convulsing like mad
-While you're in the foyer area you can hear footsteps, look up to the second floor and you can see her looking down at you

Also someone in our Party found out if you run into the front door (the one near the coat rack) a bunch you'll hear some demonic backwards talk. Sometimes that just happens though.

As for it ending I'll just say again that I was staring at the fetus when the controller started to vibrate and then the phone started ringing, so...yeah, whatever the trigger is it's hard to pinpoint, and might just be random bullshit. Also looking up the number 204836 brings up nothing concrete. Best I can come up with is it's a very specific time, 8:48:36 pm, but I don't...oddly I think that might've been when I got the loving phone call...maybe try loving with the system clock?..except I was in a Party with other people...unless they were all in different timezones, I don't think that actually could be it.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

The people behind this game seem to have completely thrown out the old Silent Hill playbook in favor of taking lessons from Frictional Games.

They are very smart to do this.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I've had all the ghost encounters and still haven't triggered the ending. The backwards talking happened twice for me, once while was looking at the radio and one when I just put the controller down and let the game sit for a while, so that's just a random occurrence.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Once, when I had the red flashlight, I was staring at the gouge photo, and my control vibrated twice. No phone, though.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I will say that when I wasn't bashing my head against a wall trying to figure out how to progress, PT was really loving scary. I like to smoke a bowl, turn the lights off, and put headphones on for horror games. Done it for Dead Space, Outlast, and Amnesia and none of those made me feel dread quite like this. I am extremely pumped for the real experience and have very high hopes at this point.

And they did it with nothing but two hallways and a bathroom. :allears:

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Aug 13, 2014

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
The mystery of 204863 has been solved...
Its Hideo's birth date, August 24, 1963 :v:

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I'm streaming some of the final section of this thing for a little while: http://www.twitch.tv/afoolishpianist

So aggravating. Ghost no longer scary, just tedious. I do have a red flashlight now, and the foyer overhead light is on!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I was gonna restart the demo and follow this guide because it seems like they figured out the order of how this all works (sort of): http://www.videogamesblogger.com/2014/08/12/silent-hills-demo-walkthrough.htm

But how do I restart the demo? It seems to have saved after I've done almost everything and I'm just waiting for the phone call which never comes (yes I tried following their order of events to get the call to trigger).

greatBigJerk
Sep 6, 2010

My final form.
I really hope that Silent Hills doesn't have the same utterly broken and obtuse design that the teaser had... I gave up and ended up YouTubing the ending.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
It won't. Kojima purposefully made the demo like that because he expected it to take a week to solve, not one day:

quote:

He said he wanted to be an industry first to do a reveal like this, and he intentionally made the last puzzle of P.T. extremely difficult. "I expected it to take a week to solve," Kojima said. "I was surprised it took less than one day."

Kojima mused that he underestimated his fans, but he calls his interactive teaser reveal, "a success." Kojima wanted people all over the world to unite through the internet and solve the puzzle with his big reward: the Silent Hills announcement.

He wanted to make sure nobody had any idea that this was coming; therefore, he purposely dropped the graphical and gameplay quality so people would believe it came from an unknown studio. He did, however, hide a hint in the studio name: 7780s. The area of Japan's Shizuoka prefecture 7780 square kilometers, and one translation for the words "Silent Hill" in Japanese is Shizuoka.

Kojima also discussed how most developers are afraid to make horror games too scary, as it could potentially alienate the audience by being too much for them to handle. He said he's ignoring that for Silent Hills. He said when they first wanted to make the game the goal was to make "you pee your pants." Now Kojima says they "are aiming for a game that will make you s--- your pants."

(taken from the PS4 thread)

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
Yeah. Kojima designed PT to be so frustrating that you get tired of running in an endless loop and you quit. Silent Hills will be so scary you get tired of making GBS threads your pants and you quit. Two completely different experiences. :v:

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

Bubba Smith posted:

you get tired of making GBS threads your pants and you quit.

Kojima.txt? I can't even wait.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot
It's repetitive to the point where it really starts to gently caress with your head, which is cool.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

superh posted:

Kojima.txt? I can't even wait.
Joke's on you, Kojima, I am not wearing pants.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

SLOSifl posted:

Joke's on you, Kojima, I am not wearing pants.

Kojima is just making a tool to help those with constipation and hickups.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I was gonna restart the demo and follow this guide because it seems like they figured out the order of how this all works (sort of): http://www.videogamesblogger.com/2014/08/12/silent-hills-demo-walkthrough.htm

But how do I restart the demo? It seems to have saved after I've done almost everything and I'm just waiting for the phone call which never comes (yes I tried following their order of events to get the call to trigger).

You'll probably have to delete your save file manually - I don't think there's a way to restart from the menu anywhere.

Also, I've found that, in the last endless section, if you walk backwards through the doorway and down the stairs through the reset door, the foyer light will be on. Walking backwards again through the same door will turn it off, but you don't have to go through the door. I wonder if some sequence of light-on, do stuff, light off will help somehow?

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

a foolish pianist posted:

You'll probably have to delete your save file manually - I don't think there's a way to restart from the menu anywhere.

Also, I've found that, in the last endless section, if you walk backwards through the doorway and down the stairs through the reset door, the foyer light will be on. Walking backwards again through the same door will turn it off, but you don't have to go through the door. I wonder if some sequence of light-on, do stuff, light off will help somehow?

Please show me how to delete the save file. I didn't know it saved and I want to show family this from the beginning.

D O R K Y
Sep 1, 2001

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Settings - > Application Saved Data Management - > Delete

http://i.imgur.com/q83xdj4.png Taken from NeoGAF. I love this, this has to be there just to gently caress with people who ignored the instructions and turned their brightness all the way up.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Dork457 posted:

http://i.imgur.com/q83xdj4.png Taken from NeoGAF. I love this, this has to be there just to gently caress with people who ignored the instructions and turned their brightness all the way up.

That's incredible. :golfclap:

e: Hot drat, people on GAF are going absolutely crazy trying to decipher some of the stuff in this game.

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Aug 14, 2014

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
I was enjoying this until creepy rear end lady dashes through me in the hallway. Then a few seconds later starts strangling me from behind and throws me to the ground. As the screen goes black you hear some shuffling and tearing noises before being reset the the empty room at the beginning. Caught me off guard so bad since I honestly didn't think this would be a game where you could actually die in.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

abagofcheetos posted:

It won't. Kojima purposefully made the demo like that because he expected it to take a week to solve, not one day:

(taken from the PS4 thread)

If nothing else, its nice to know that he's genuinely involved with the project and Konami isn't just namedropping him. Kojima is far from a perfect game designer, but he's certainly not boring or typical. Any Silent Hill game made by him will...well, it'll be something.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Ryoga posted:

I was enjoying this until creepy rear end lady dashes through me in the hallway. Then a few seconds later starts strangling me from behind and throws me to the ground. As the screen goes black you hear some shuffling and tearing noises before being reset the the empty room at the beginning. Caught me off guard so bad since I honestly didn't think this would be a game where you could actually die in.

For being a teaser for a game it's way more involved than I thought it would be.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I think he's a mediocre writer and a really clever game designer. And really, I don't know if his games would benefit from better writing.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
The bad writing just puts you off guard.

And, man, the game engine is just astoundingly beautiful.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

This is basically a real world tie-in to the MGS universe. He plans on making sure everybody becomes Johnny while playing the game. :shrek:

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Ryoga posted:

Death is only a transition.

Ularg posted:

And, man, the game engine is just astoundingly beautiful.

And they made it ugly on purpose to fake an indie lo-fi look! It could be sharper, cleaner and move at a steady 60fps. It would just make it scarier.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Looks great, but I lack the willpower to wonder around this scary hallway with the ghost to see the ending legit.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

echronorian posted:

I think he's a mediocre writer and a really clever game designer. And really, I don't know if his games would benefit from better writing.

He's a talented writer in that he can do interesting things with a story despite being really bad at the actual dialogue and written word, he knows how to evolve story beats and how to move characters along in their development relevant to whats happening on screen. He also has a distinct talent for tying his themes into the gameplay of his games that other designers seem to be incapable of.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I deleted my save data, went through the whole thing again collecting all the picture pieces and looking through the peephole and getting the restart screen and now I'm back at the same place I was at before I deleted, waiting for the phone call that still never triggers :psyduck:

This game is frustrating as hell. I think I've done everything right and I've already seen the ending but I want to play it for myself and I just can't loving seem to get it to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

JebanyPedal posted:

He's a talented writer in that he can do interesting things with a story despite being really bad at the actual dialogue and written word, he knows how to evolve story beats and how to move characters along in their development relevant to whats happening on screen. He also has a distinct talent for tying his themes into the gameplay of his games that other designers seem to be incapable of.

Ya, he does a great job of engaging the players brain. This game gave me a great internal monolog.

• Locked thread