Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

IkeTurner posted:

Kojima has announced that the teaser was designed this way purposely so it would potentially take a while and a group effort to totally crack. It was purposely obtuse so people would have to talk about it online and share their experiences and (surprise) create some free marketing for the game. He also explained that it does not represent the gameplay of the actual game.

Making it a smidge obtuse also takes away player agency, and contributes to the tension. People ate up Amnesia, and one of the biggest reasons for it is because it took away the player's ability to fight back. In PT's case, you have this weird environment, and you don't know how to interact with it, and that makes you feel powerless even without unfightable monsters chasing you.

This isn't really meant to be a game that everyone sits down and finishes, it is a toy to play with that happens to have a secret buried in it, that was never intended to be found by one person without outside help. It is supposed to be a social experience even though it is a single player "game". As they have said, this isn't how the final game is going to be, this is more of a focused ARG than anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I downloaded this demo on the day of Gamescom but only got a chance to sit down with it just now. I got to this part before I had to turn off the PS4. :cry:

The full game is going to destroy me.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Broseph Brostar posted:

There is no functional difference between finishing the teaser and getting to the final puzzle and getting stuck and then looking up the ending.

In fact, since its already been revealed, the ending is the worst part of the teaser.

It definitely has its quirks. I think the R3 instructions are just plain broken. I figured out you could zoom before they tell you but I was watching Patrick Klepek's stream last night and he never got the picture frame on the floor that says R3 like I did.

Also putting in microphone requirements and not saying anything in game about them.

Has anyone reversed the backward vocals you get looking into the mirror to see what it says? I forgot about the Share button until way after that had happened to me.

Scary games don't really get me very often and this one had an extremely long burn before she finally got me to jump but I'm actually looking forward to what comes of this, if it's more of the same. It's kind of like a horror version of The Stanley Parable.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

JordanKai posted:

I downloaded this demo on the day of Gamescom but only got a chance to sit down with it just now. I got to this part before I had to turn off the PS4. :cry:

The full game is going to destroy me.

I doubt the real game will make you feel as helpless as the trailer did. At best the bugs will be worked out and wont be as cryptic as waiting for baby moans. I hope there is some kind of melee system.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Finally got it. I think I was coming up on just as many runs through that hallway as there are tally marks in that start room.

The start room audio is interesting - every now and again, there'll be little scratches, like something is scratching the marks into the wall while you're there, but I can't see any of them appearing. Also, I got that backwards sentence once there.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Tenzarin posted:

I doubt the real game will make you feel as helpless as the trailer did. At best the bugs will be worked out and wont be as cryptic as waiting for baby moans. I hope there is some kind of melee system.

There aren't any bugs in this to work out for the final product, none of this is indicative of the actual game. This is just a teaser, not a gameplay demo.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
If the full game makes me feel as emotionally wrecked as the teaser I dunno how I'll even play it. It's not just the jump scares, it's the repetition of the hallway. Learning every inch of that hallway to the point I immediately recognize the slightest change only to have something new scare the poo poo it of me is so unsettling. That hallway would be all of 15 seconds in any other game. It's really pretty brilliant all on its own.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

echronorian posted:

It's not just the jump scares, it's the repetition of the hallway. Learning every inch of that hallway to the point I immediately recognize the slightest change only to have something new scare the poo poo it of me is so unsettling.

The Scary Parable

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Yeah this is a really promising teaser and you know with Guillermo involved there's going to be some kind of horrific autopsy at some point plus out-of-game fuckery. Hideo Kojima will probably hijack your PS button and make you think that you've gone to the home screen before springing some hideous poo poo on you.

edit: just realized that these guys are going to find SOME great way to gently caress with you via controller speaker.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

It would have been great if they'd use the controller speaker for some of the repetition on the radio broadcasts.

TV: Look behind you. LOOK BEHIND YOU!

Controller: Look behind you!

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
OPs been updated to better reflect that this is not a demo, and I added some common places people get stuck.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I like the idea of creepy speaker stuff but at the same time, games like this work so much better with headphones that you'd miss out on it.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Yeah this is a really promising teaser and you know with Guillermo involved there's going to be some kind of horrific autopsy at some point plus out-of-game fuckery. Hideo Kojima will probably hijack your PS button and make you think that you've gone to the home screen before springing some hideous poo poo on you.

edit: just realized that these guys are going to find SOME great way to gently caress with you via controller speaker.

Better yet, the camera.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Imagine if the camera somehow was able to flash your own face across the screen. Ugh this is going to happen now, isn't it?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Take a picture of the player immediately after all the major jump scares and automatically upload it to their Facebook account.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Broseph Brostar posted:

There aren't any bugs in this to work out for the final product, none of this is indicative of the actual game. This is just a teaser, not a gameplay demo.

The ghost in the bathtub never exited the bathtub smoothly for me.

The Biggest Jerk
Nov 25, 2012
If you're one of those people who get's angry and start swearing at the game, mics gonna hear it and send scary poo poo at you to stop it. Next generation parenting.

Hadooooken
Sep 6, 2004

I really do hope the saving icon means the return of the actual cult and not another "This is what we think happened in SH2 it's all in your head!!!!!"

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:
It is at all possible that with what Hideo wants and what only a DS4 can offer, that SHills could be a console exclusive, or have varying design-gimmicks for each of the 2 major consoles?

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Scyron posted:

It is at all possible that with what Hideo wants and what only a DS4 can offer, that SHills could be a console exclusive, or have varying design-gimmicks for each of the 2 major consoles?

Hopefully it's announced as a PS4 exclusive if only for the fun ARG that will be the Xbone thread. Kojima is in for the long troll.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Hadooooken posted:

I really do hope the saving icon means the return of the actual cult and not another "This is what we think happened in SH2 it's all in your head!!!!!"
The cult was the worst part of the series and it was really dragging it down. The idea that Silent Hill is a eldritch area that can manifest a person's fears and desires to seemingly test them that 2 set up wasn't really expanded on much and was a far more unique and interesting direction to take with the series than a bunch of cackling mustache-twirlers. 3 resolved the cult plot well enough anyway.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Accordion Man posted:

The idea that Silent Hill is a eldritch area that can manifest a person's fear and desire that 2 set up wasn't really expanded on much and was a far more unique and interesting direction to take with the series than a bunch of cackling mustache-twirlers.

Check out Solaris (or Event Horizon)

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I hope they have a mechanic where if the game scares you enough to jerk the controller, the game recognizes it and makes your character stumble.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Broseph Brostar posted:

I hope they have a mechanic where if the game scares you enough to jerk the controller, the game recognizes it and makes your character stumble.

Did that horror game that measures your heart rate ever pan out?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

So the aim of this game is to turn players into Johnny Sasaki from Metal Gear Solid?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I wonder how long we'll be waiting for this game? I'm predicting a late 2016 release date.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Flytrap posted:

One of Kojima's very first ideas for a game was an action game that would delete itself when you died. Not delete your save, delete the entire cartridge.

That was back when he was a newbie that nobody ever heard of, so nobody would let him do it.

Now he's one of the biggest names in the industry.

What I'm getting at is that Kojima is insane and you should never try to guess what he's going to do. He enjoys actively loving with the player both in-game and out.

If anything this game is going to be absolutely bonkers and I cannot be more excited :allears:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Mr. Fortitude posted:

So the aim of this game is to turn players into Johnny Sasaki from Metal Gear Solid?

Kojima's been quoted saying he wants players to poo poo themselves and joked about a special edition that includes a pair of fresh pants or something so... yes.

poor nose
Oct 29, 2005

Tenzarin posted:

The ghost in the bathtub never exited the bathtub smoothly for me.

Wait? There is a ghost sighting in the bathtub? I kept expecting it but never saw it. Also when can you see the person upstairs looking down at you?

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Hideo Kojima posted:

"There's a limit on how scary you can make a game, but in this case we're ignoring that. If you don't want to keep playing through the game, so be it, we don't care. That's the game we're aiming for. We're aiming for a game that will make you poo poo your pants."

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

That's exactly what I want out of a horror game. Make me feel like I'm going to lose my mind, give me heart problems, make me piss my pants. I don't care, I want as much as they can throw at me.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Kojima is too late

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQIgqvnBYvQ

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Puking with pleasure as I type

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

poor nose posted:

Wait? There is a ghost sighting in the bathtub? I kept expecting it but never saw it. Also when can you see the person upstairs looking down at you?

He means the one you can only see through the mirror.

I think the one looking down at you from the balcony was only for people who turned the gamma up too high, unless somebody can confirm that its one of the spooky ghost lady spawn locations.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Broseph Brostar posted:

I think the one looking down at you from the balcony was only for people who turned the gamma up too high, unless somebody can confirm that its one of the spooky ghost lady spawn locations.

I specifically checked the balcony and I don't remember seeing anything up there so I think it must be a triggered/random appearance.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Broseph Brostar posted:

I saw the ghost without the mirror once as well, I was just walking along ghost was standing at the bathroom door dragging the shower curtain with it just chilling. Overall it wasn't good hiding spot.

poor nose
Oct 29, 2005

So how do you get the talking bag to appear? I hadn't even heard of this til watching a separate walk through I never encountered in during my play through.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

poor nose posted:

So how do you get the talking bag to appear? I hadn't even heard of this til watching a separate walk through I never encountered in during my play through.

It's actually there from the very beginning. In the very starting room (which you can't go back to under normal circumstances). After you get the flashlight and you the game glitches out after the peephole the game will do false restart but you'll keep your flashlight. When you get up don't exit the room, instead look in the corner behind you for a table with the bag on it.

You can also die at the hands of the ghost to go back to the room.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Just reading about the ghost kind of bothers me now. gently caress you video game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Cadavers4Algernon posted:

It's actually there from the very beginning. In the very starting room (which you can't go back to under normal circumstances). After you get the flashlight and you the game glitches out after the peephole the game will do false restart but you'll keep your flashlight. When you get up don't exit the room, instead look in the corner behind you for a table with the bag on it.

You can also die at the hands of the ghost to go back to the room.

I like that when you revisit that room with the flashlight, you can see the marks all over the walls from how long he's been trapped there. It really makes the thing go full circle. Kojima really is the only developer that knows how to make the gameplay match the story.

• Locked thread