Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Snuck into the mess of gaudy, loud, trailers at this years Gamescom was an unknown entity from a developer no one has heard of. 7780s studio presents: Whatever this thing is with 'audience reactions' ala some tacky horror film from the 90s. Take a look. Everything about it screams "I am not interesting."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqbkNKrY19U

However, always one to play with emotions, it turns out this is a Playable Teaser (P.T.) of a much larger project by fan provocateur Hideo Kojima. Available exclusively on PS4, P.T. is more of a puzzle/toy and less of a game, with a few secrets hidden away for the bold and patient. I don't want to spoil it since the purpose of the teaser is for you to play it and discover things on your own. However, I figured it'd be best to alert people to its existence and provide some tips for the trickier bits.

To clarify extra extra extra loud: This is not indicative of any future game.

If you're having trouble finding the game, try manually searching for the teaser from PSN. The screenshots on the store page are not indicative of what the game is. Download it and see for yourself.

Controls are simple. Left stick is movement. Press in the right stick to zoom. Options menu takes you to the options screen.

I Don't really want to play it. Can you just tell me?

Hideo Kojima posted:

"There's a limit on how scary you can make a game, but in this case we're ignoring that. If you don't want to keep playing through the game, so be it, we don't care. That's the game we're aiming for. We're aiming for a game that will make you poo poo your pants."

P.T. is a thematic teaser indicative of the mood of the final product, but not necessarily the gameplay. When you start, you wake up on a dingy concrete floor, a door directly in front of you. Through the door, you find yourself in a hallway with one bend in it, a small bathroom, and another door at the end of the bend. Through this other door, you start back over at the beginning of the hallway. There are multiple variations on what happens every time you repeat the hallway. Essentially, it's a puzzle game that does not do any favors to the player. It is meant to be hard, confusing, unintuitive, and scary. Don't feel bad. It won't be everyones cup of tea. See the above quote again for further clarification.

A few spoilers confirmed in the teaser. Do not hover over unless you want to take the wind out of P.T. and defeat the purpose of it existing. (I know you want to, chicken poo poo. )

It's a Silent Hill reboot, known as Silent Hills

That guy from Walking Dead is in it

Director/writer Guillermo Del Toro is involved

If you don't have access to a ps4, here's a stream that gives you the general idea. http://www.twitch.tv/soapywarpig/b/557446887

Typical places where you will get hopelessly stuck:

-Red Hallway
keep running through the hallway until you find a downed painting. there will be a hole in the wall. Stare into the hole (lol)

-Baby laughing
Follow audio cues that lead you to objects to look at. There are variations here of what to do. For example, the clock only chimes when it hits midnight and usually the lady will show up somewhere for you to see her. Sometimes it won't chime but she'll show up somewhere. Sometimes it will chime and she won't appear until a several seconds later. If you wait long enough she will usually show up again. If she shows up in the hallway and you get too close she'll jump into your body and you'll hear extra louder footsteps when you walk and she'll make noises when you stand still. (Thanks Broseph Brostar)

You also may need a microphone to progress.
I was fruitlessly wasting time before I hooked up the mic that came with the PS4.

The object you have to stare at is different for everyone or for each new room, unsure of which. It was the clock for me both times I finished.

What I did was:
1. Wait anywhere for midnight, walk 10 steps exactly = baby giggles.
2. Wait again for the second haunting, Go to the radio, phone, mirror, clock, stare at it while saying random bullshit into the mic = second baby giggle.
3. Wait in place until the controller finishes vibrating for the third giggle.
4. Go to the phone, and hold R3 until it says you're chosen.

I've seen solutions where they say to keep up noise constantly but I didn't do that, so I don't think that's the key. Just say hello or something several times until the haunting ends. (Thanks Hadooooken)

Scary ghost lady sightings (Thanks Brightman)
-At the end of the hallways near the door, will run through/into you if you get close
-In the middle of the hall near the clock
-Outside shaking like mad
-Standing in the bathtub while you stare in the mirror with your guy on the left side of the mirror, she slowly and shakily walks out of the tub and up to the mirror and disappears, someone said they stopped focusing on the mirror during this and tried to leave before she disappeared and she attacked them
-Resetting the hall and the light in the foyer is on and she's standing under it convulsing like mad
-While you're in the foyer area you can hear footsteps, look up to the second floor and you can see her looking down at you.

Donovan Trip fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Aug 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HotCheetoChallenge
Jun 17, 2012

iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou
There's a stream of this out there that's about an hour long, and at the end it actually says Silent Hill and plays the iconic theme song, so yeah...

Hope it comes to ps3

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
The stream is their third play through with supposedly new things still happening. Also I was trying to spoil as little as possible for people who haven't heard anything about it yet.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
http://www.twitch.tv/soapywarpig/b/557446887

The aforementioned stream.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

The big reveal happens at an hour and 15 minutes in

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Does anyone know what to do once you get to the swinging refrigerator bit with the crying baby. Can't seem to figure out what to do there.

HotCheetoChallenge
Jun 17, 2012

iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou

echronorian posted:

The stream is their third play through with supposedly new things still happening. Also I was trying to spoil as little as possible for people who haven't heard anything about it yet.

ok sorry for spoiling the title of the game in a thread about the game? :psyduck: ill see myself out

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

lady blue shanghai posted:

ok sorry for spoiling the title of the game in a thread about the game? :psyduck: ill see myself out

Chillax, ain't no thing. I was just saying I worded it the way I did to preserve some of the hype they're going for by calling the demo pt. Everyone will know soon anyway.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

lady blue shanghai posted:

It's a lot more fun to discover what the game actually is by yourself by playing the demo. :shobon:

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Le Saboteur posted:

Does anyone know what to do once you get to the swinging refrigerator bit with the crying baby. Can't seem to figure out what to do there.

I'm stuck here as well. Any ideas?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I'm hyped for Del Toro but I'm not too hot on Norman Reedus being the main character. Nothing against him personally, but having a celebrity be the main character just reeks of not feeling confident enough for the game to stand on its own merits. Just feels awkward and kind of cornball to me.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I'm stuck where the radio is telling me to look behind me and gives me a string of numbers. ITT post where Hideo Kojima got you stuck.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Looks like Daryl Dixon.

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?

Skeezy posted:

I'm stuck here as well. Any ideas?

Look at the message on the wall. Now run back to the phone by the portraits in the hall. Now run back to the message. Repeat.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

echronorian posted:

I'm stuck where the radio is telling me to look behind me and gives me a string of numbers. ITT post where Hideo Kojima got you stuck.
This is where I am right now, and it has something to do with zooming in by clicking on your right stick on specific objects, the right ones will flash what looked like German text to me onto the edges of the screen. Look at cans scattering the ground, light fixtures, etc.

I haven't gotten out of this section entirely and it's driving me bonkers.

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?
I'm currently stuck repeating this hallway with different colored flashlights. If i wait a minute then the clock ticks over to midnight but I can't tell if anything is changing. I can always keep going down the stairs and through the door and the flashlight color just keeps randomizing. No idea what to do here.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Watching a stream and I'm making GBS threads myself, such a fantastic game/teaser.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

echronorian posted:

I'm stuck here too, I have no idea what to do.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I'm stuck here too, I have no idea what to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vtrGF0ZTRc

This is a walkthrough video I just looked up, and the moment we're stuck on seems to be at about the 8 minute mark. The player seems to trigger it by opening up the options menu as he's staring at the torn portrait above the alarm clock, but it's not triggering for me.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
This is a bait and switch right, because that looks like your average slenderman unity engine game before the reveal at the end (with a japanese guy trying really hard to speak english well by the sound of it)

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Relin posted:

This is a bait and switch right, because that looks like your average slenderman unity engine game before the reveal at the end (with a japanese guy trying really hard to speak english well by the sound of it)

It is, the end even says "the main game won't be like this."

Edit: The radio... I have no idea what triggers it, I had to redo the loop several times before I was able to progress to the phone you guys did watch the mirror during that loop right?

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

caligulamprey posted:

This is a walkthrough video I just looked up, and the moment we're stuck on seems to be at about the 8 minute mark. The player seems to trigger it by opening up the options menu as he's staring at the torn portrait above the alarm clock, but it's not triggering for me.

I kinda got something to happen, but what he did next won't work for me.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

caligulamprey posted:

The torn portrait above the clock seems to be filling itself back in as I look at the right things (mostly booze, it seems). But there's like one piece I'm missing.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

StarkRavingMad posted:

The torn portrait above the clock seems to be filling itself back in as I look at the right things (mostly booze, it seems). But there's like one piece I'm missing.

THERE WE GO

Go back to the painting that says GOUGE IT OUT and hit the X button

I'm punching myself in the loving face, I'm so dumb.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

caligulamprey posted:

THERE WE GO

Oh for fucks sake. Thanks.

Also, knowing what this is now, I love the tone of it.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

caligulamprey posted:

THERE WE GO

That makes me feel real dumb.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

That makes me feel real dumb.
I feel especially dumb considering

there's even a big honkin' X right next to the phrase GOUGE IT OUT. PRESS X TO GOUGE IT OUT.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Despite my smart rear end comments made throughout my stream of it I thought the demo was really well done. Some of my most favorite parts of the Silent Hill series was the first person parts of The Room (I know I'm in the minority).

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

Despite my smart rear end comments made throughout my stream of it I thought the demo was really well done. Some of my most favorite parts of the Silent Hill series was the first person parts of The Room (I know I'm in the minority).

I think you'll find that most people like the first person parts of Silent Hill 4, just not most of the rest of the game. :cheeky:

archerb
Mar 3, 2005
First person haunted house/prison/hospital with puzzles would've been an ok way to do a Silent Hill game. Would anyone really miss SH combat? I thought that's what this was but apparently not if there's a disclaimer at the end of the demo.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Here's a question. I'm up to the point where the demo has seemingly "restarted", as in the logo came up and it started me back collapsed in the first room. The picture still has its pieces and the writing on the wall is still there so I assume its still going. I can't figure out what to do, unless I just go through the hallway over and over until something changes.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'm at the part with the eyeball paintings and speed walking. No idea what to do. I assume it has to do with the bathroom.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Here's a question.
Did you listen to what the bag had to say when it spit you back out to the beginning of the game? And did you wait for the chimes to strike midnight before walking through the door?

Teenage Fansub posted:

I'm at the part with the eyeball paintings and speed walking. No idea what to do. I assume it has to do with the bathroom.
if you keep running about, you'll come to a long corridor, there's a hole in the wall. Peek through.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Here's the restart disclaimer if anyone's curious.

http://i.imgur.com/VuX8RHR.jpg

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I just realized that the order stuff happens is random for everyone.

I'm stuck doing the photo pieces and I'm missing the top right piece. Where is it?

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

caligulamprey posted:

Did you listen to what the bag had to say when it spit you back out to the beginning of the game? And did you wait for the chimes to strike midnight before walking through the door?

Well, I'm not sure what any of that means, but I did hear some clock chime I think. Looking it up, I'm now stuck waiting for the phone to ring, and it seems like no one knows how that works.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Images from my playthrough - click for full:

Coolest reveal ever, holy poo poo. Play this with headphones in the dark.

SLOSifl fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Aug 13, 2014

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

caligulamprey posted:

if you keep running about, you'll come to a long corridor, there's a hole in the wall. Peek through.

Still stuck on that second one, can you be more specific?

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Skeezy posted:

I just realized that the order stuff happens is random for everyone.

I'm stuck doing the photo pieces and I'm missing the top right piece. Where is it?

I just found it, it was in the wall outside of the bathroom. Look around the ceiling to the left of the bathroom doorway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I filled the picture up. Now to figure out what to do.

• Locked thread