Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Robin Williams, pictured in his well-known role as Mrs. Doubtfire)

I always appreciated the man, but now that he's dead, I really want to get inside him. I want to understand what made him tick. I feel like I lost a part of myself, and its really loving hurting. I want to relive some of what made Mr. Williams who he was, and I found this quote:

Robin Williams loves anime. In particular he's a fan of Neon Genesis Evangelion, Cowboy Beebop, "Ghost in the Shell. Akira. Blood: The Last Vampire. But mostly Ghost in the Shell."

So... which one of these is most like his movies, or just best to watch? I think I seen some of that cowboy show years ago, but where should I start?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

u sp33k l33t br0
Sep 12, 2007

Who Doesn't Like Intercourse?
Soiled Meat
Watch The End of Evangelion without any context whatsoever. It'll be great.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Borommakott posted:

Watch The End of Evangelion without any context whatsoever. It'll be great.

Bad advice, don't watch End of Evangelion, just watch the final episode of the series on its own, much more concise.

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

XboxPants posted:

Bad advice, don't watch End of Evangelion, just watch the final episode of the series on its own, much more concise.

It is the most influential episode in anime and many new anime crib from it in one way or another.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Watch Evangelion. All of it.

Abysswalker
Apr 25, 2013

XboxPants posted:

Watch both, then watch Rebuild.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
If you really want to understand the life of Mr. Williams you need to do cocaine first. Like a lot of it. A lot.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
If you really wanna get inside him you're gonna have to make a roadtrip to California

better use a condom heh heh heh :smugbird:

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Be like me and watch End of Eva at 14 without seeing anything else, then be scarred/intrigued.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

If you want to know why, specifically, he ended his life, Evangelion is the place to start. The entire original series and End of Evangelion will give you the proper context. I can't really think of show that better describes how depression feels, and I feel it's fair to say that the people who are its biggest fans are also the people who identify with the suffering of its protagonists the most.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

SALT CURES HAM posted:

If you really wanna get inside him you're gonna have to make a roadtrip to California

better use a condom heh heh heh :smugbird:

Don't listen to this guy.

You need to get inside the animal just like Tom Green did.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Ghost in the Shell is basically just an anime adaptation of Bicentennial Man.

Winter Fresh
Oct 31, 2011
He was also a big fan of Kill la Kill

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

DoubleDonut posted:

Ghost in the Shell is basically just an anime adaptation of Bicentennial Man.

i thought it was a ripoff of the matrix, imo

BHB
Aug 28, 2011

Vermain posted:

If you want to know why, specifically, he ended his life, Evangelion is the place to start. The entire original series and End of Evangelion will give you the proper context. I can't really think of show that better describes how depression feels, and I feel it's fair to say that the people who are its biggest fans are also the people who identify with the suffering of its protagonists the most.

Rubbing one out over a coma patient is how I express my existential angst.

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

LaTex Fetish posted:

i thought it was a ripoff of the matrix, imo

Especially the part where it was released 4 years before the Matrix and is commonly cited as a major inspiration for the film.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

glomkettle posted:

Especially the part where it was released 4 years before the Matrix and is commonly cited as a major inspiration for the film.

loving time travelers, man. They're the worst.

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

glomkettle posted:

ummmm citation for this?

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

ghost in the shell came out 2003 and matrix 1999 guys. stop trolling me, it came out 4 YEARS AFTER the matrix not before like you say

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

LaTex Fetish posted:

ghost in the shell came out 2003 and matrix 1999 guys. stop trolling me, it came out 4 YEARS AFTER the matrix not before like you say

The original GitS movie came out in '94 E: '95 whoops

glomkettle fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Aug 14, 2014

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009

glomkettle posted:

The original GitS movie came out in '94

And 15 seconds on Wikipedia tells me the manga started in 1989

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

*In voice of Hope's mom from Final Fantasy XIII* Jokes are tough.

• Locked thread