Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

"My sole motive is to inform the public as to that which is done in their name and that which is done against them."
We are one week away.

http://www.wired.com/2014/08/grant-morrison-multiversity-dc/#slide-id-1401271:full

We have a preview.

DO NOT READ THIS THREAD.

I was gonna post this in the New 52 thread, but kind of figured that this might warrant its own thread, since I imagine we'll get a lot of return DC readers for this.

THIS THREAD WILL KILL YOU.

There's a map of the multiverse here: http://popwatch.ew.com/2014/07/25/multiversity-dc-grant-morrison/

But anyway, the six-page preview in the Wired link is batshit insane in pretty much the best way I could have hoped for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This is gonna be the first comic from either of the big two I've read in over a year. So excited!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It's going to be good.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

More Nix Uotan. Cam Stew Captain Marvel. Quitely Watchmen.

I am ready.

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

"My sole motive is to inform the public as to that which is done in their name and that which is done against them."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toby_Tyler;_or,_Ten_Weeks_with_a_Circus

Mr. Stubbs!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It'll be okay, I guess.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

My shop is giving me the multiverse map poster, which I'm going to use for a DCU Adventures campaign I'm starting with my friends. I'd like to think Morrison would approve.

May just have to shut the lights off and go home after Multiversity. This might be the definitive super hero comic.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
Since reading William S. Burroughs Nova Trilogy I've noticed Morrison has borrowed or built on a lot of the ideas from it over his career (in a good way). "Whose voice is this speaking in your head anyway? Yours?" is probably the most direct connection yet.

I don't really get the inclusion of the chimp yet, even with that link d00gZ posted.

Art looks surprisingly good; I think I had Ivan Reis confused with someone else.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The chimp is clearly Dmitri-9.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The chimp is clearly Dmitri-9.

Ha, I wish!

Apparently the chimp showed up in Final Crisis, but I don't remember that at all.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Lord Krangdar posted:

Since reading William S. Burroughs Nova Trilogy I've noticed Morrison has borrowed or built on a lot of the ideas from it over his career (in a good way). "Whose voice is this speaking in your head anyway? Yours?" is probably the most direct connection yet.

I don't really get the inclusion of the chimp yet, even with that link d00gZ posted.

Art looks surprisingly good; I think I had Ivan Reis confused with someone else.

The chimp was (also for no obvious reason) the one talking in the cell that Nix was thrown into in FC, right before be became the Monitor / Judge of all Evil.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Normally not a big fan of Morrison but this looks really fun so I'll definitely check it out

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR READING THIS THREAD)

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Starting the series with Ivan Reis :barf:
Quitely and Stewart issues will be amazing, but this guy and Ben Oliver are making GBS threads up the joint fierce.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

We're all so ugly and stupid and doomed.

Good spot! The summary on that page does seem very much like it would fit in with Morrison's ongoing meta-commentary abut the comics industry.

quote:

Toby Tyler tells the story of a ten year-old orphan who runs away from a foster home to join the traveling circus only to discover his new employer is a cruel taskmaster. The difference between the romance of the circus from the outside and the reality as seen from the inside is graphically depicted. Toby's friend, Mr. Stubbs the chimpanzee, reinforces the consequences of what happens when one follows one's natural instincts rather than one's intellect and conscience, a central theme of the novel.

The "aren't we too old to read comics" line from Stubbs in the preview could back this up. Maybe Morrison is using both Nix Uotan and Mr Stubbs as fiction suits in this to examine his own relationship with comics. Uotan as the youthful optimist, Mr Stubbs as the "grown-up" voice. Or maybe I'm just getting ahead of myself... Sod it.

The "Don't read this comic" sounds very much like an inversion of this Flash cover that Morrison has mentioned a good few times in interviews. It also brings into play the "You" being a hero in Multiversity.

If it's not obvious, I'm really quite excited for this. I've been less than impressed with Morrison's recent output: Batman Inc vol 2 just faltered for me and it seemed like Morrison himself had lost interest by the end; Action again, just felt a bit half-hearted, like it went on for longer than he had planned. And Happy was just shite. But this... this looks like a proper return to form.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Is there a connecting thread to this or is it all one shots in different universes?

narm00
Feb 18, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

Is there a connecting thread to this or is it all one shots in different universes?

There're connecting threads, but we don't know the whole picture just yet. We get The Multiversity #1 setting things up, then the one-shots in different universes and the multiverse guidebook, and then The Multiversity #2 wrapping things up. Morrison's said the heroes of the one-shots are going to be reading each others' comics to keep track of what's going on. The solicits suggest a common villain will be popping up as well.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Aphrodite posted:

I assume it will be making GBS threads on DC and mainstream comics in general. I think I already read that they communicate with each other using comics.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I am so on board for an Eternal Darkness-esque comic book. :allears:

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

fatherboxx posted:

He's okay, but not who I want to see on a project like this. The ugly, gradient-happy DC house coloring isn't helping set it apart, either. At least I know it'll get a whole lot better.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

redbackground posted:

He's okay, but not who I want to see on a project like this. The ugly, gradient-happy DC house coloring isn't helping set it apart, either. At least I know it'll get a whole lot better.

It may be entirely coincidental that some kind of multiversal apocalypse is being set up in DC's house style.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

fatherboxx posted:

Quitely and Stewart issues will be amazing, but this guy and Ben Oliver are making GBS threads up the joint fierce.

What's wrong with Ben Oliver? He saved Action Comics from ol' Lazy Eye Morales.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's going to end with all the characters from every DC comic, movie and animated show coming into Grant Morrison's house for a HUGE party.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Its never said explicitly but its strongly implied in Twin Peaks and especially in the film Fire Walk With Me that the main villain and his associates are some sort of parasite species that evolved to live off of human imagination and emotions. I'm thinking that first page there with the "life evolves anywhere" stuff is hinting at the same sort of concept.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

I took that to be a reference to the existence of life in the Multiverse in general. In the Superman Beyond portion of Final Crisis, life was shown to have arisen in a "flaw" in the heart of the original, primordial Monitor/Overvoid -- which is an analogy for our imagination and the creative process. These characters, which began as imaginary constructs, are now "alive":

Morrison, from the Wired interview posted:

People have this idea of canon, but there is no canon... To me, it’s all real. Every comic you ever read is real.

The anthropomorphic Monitors who descended from the Overvoid (Nix Uotan, Weeja Dell, Mandrakk, etc.) explicitly did become parasites who evolved to feed off of imagination and emotion. More accurately, they drank vampire-style the raw story-stuff - the potentiality of the fictional Multiverse - in the form of Bleed.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

zoux posted:

It's going to end with all the characters from every DC comic, movie and animated show coming into Grant Morrison's house for a HUGE party.

Merryman will be the GamesmasterAnthony of Multiversity.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Chris Burnham's #1 variant

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Is this going to actually be monthly or can we expect delays?

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

Hahaha that loving cat

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

^burtle posted:

Is this going to actually be monthly or can we expect delays?

The whole project has already been delayed for years, so if there's exists a chance for a Morrison series to come out on time this is it.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Cameron Stewart apparently did the Thunderworld issue over a year ago and I wouldn't be surprised if Reis, Oliver, Prouse and Mahnke have all done their issues on time.

If any issue gets delayed I suspect it'd be Quitely's one.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

If any issue gets delayed I suspect it'd be Quitely's one.

His was the first art shown in 2012. If it isn't ready for November(?), that'd be amazing.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Aug 16, 2014

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

Teenage Fansub posted:

Oh. My. God. :haw:

Lonny Donoghan
Jan 20, 2009
Pillbug
Thanks

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Teenage Fansub posted:

I think this is the first take on the classic Actions Comics cover where it makes sense. It's an evil anthropomorphic car that Captain Carrot is attacking.

Multiversity is going to be brilliant, but then again I love everything Morrison.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Teenage Fansub posted:

His was the first art shown in 2012. If it isn't ready for November(?), that'd be amazing.

It wouldn't be surprising however. I'm ready for this, I just pray it won't hit any snags.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Teenage Fansub posted:

It's beautiful. Absolutely beautiful. For once, I am going to throw down the cash for a variant.

Was skeptical Multiversity would ever exist. Let's see if I'm proven right in two days when completely blank books with gorgeous covers are shipped nationwide.

Xmaspast
Aug 18, 2014

DACK FAYDEN posted:

It's beautiful. Absolutely beautiful. For once, I am going to throw down the cash for a variant.

Was skeptical Multiversity would ever exist. Let's see if I'm proven right in two days when completely blank books with gorgeous covers are shipped nationwide.

Oh wow. I'm with you on that one. Hype for the event aside, that cover is gorgeous. The color, the composition, everything.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Teenage Fansub posted:

Holy poo poo, I want one of these for every universe.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Updating "interactive" map.
http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2014/08/18/the-map-of-the-multiverse

Really, they just link to a piece of art and bio for each (3 so far) Earth.

I assumed Earth 8 had something to do with 70's-90's DC with the bullet logo type stars around the '8', but I guess not.

e: Oops. Didn't click the full bio. I guess that's a Cap America type shield around the 8.

quote:

Not quite what you were expecting? Perhaps that’s the best way to describe this world, populated with heroes such as the patriotic power soldier known as American Crusader, the lightning-charged warrior god Wundajin, the massively-morphing, quick to anger monster known as the Behemoth and the scientifically-minded, elementally-powered foursome known as the Future Family. Alongside such figures as Machinehead, Ladybug, Stuntmaster and the “neo-human” heroes of the G-Men, they keep their world safe from threats like the destructive Lord Havok and the Extremists.

On Earth-8, a life of heroism often comes at great sacrifice to the man or woman behind the mask. Faith in heroes is in short supply and mistrust can run rampant. Perhaps the people of Earth-8 should talk to some of their alternate world counterparts, who turn out in droves for movies featuring the very heroes they’re shunning.

These have to be ripped out of the guide book issue, so I'm skipping the rest.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Aug 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I want JLA/Avengers redone with The Great Society and the Earth-8 heroes.

• Locked thread