Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
I want "If This Be My Destiny" starring Ladybug.

Also, I know there are people who don't like Morrison's experimental stuff, but I can't read "Told backwards through an experimental storytelling technique that reveals new mysteries with each turn of the page" and not get pumped right the hell up.

HitTheTargets fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Aug 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Was skeptical Multiversity would ever exist. Let's see if I'm proven right in two days when completely blank books with gorgeous covers are shipped nationwide.

Page 1: Do NOT read this book! Quick, we have to do something to stop this book from being printed! Oh, there's where the books are being printed, smash the printer!

Page 2: Blank page, one narration box: Ah ha, we saved the day!

Page 3-End: White space.

Mister Nobody
Feb 17, 2011
I haven't been keeping up with Morrison's work lately, but I want to get on the ground floor of this one. I personally hope we see a bit of the earth that spawned that coyote from his Animal Man run.

A bit off topic but has Morrison mentioned anything about Seaguy lately or is that project dead in the water?

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Mister Nobody posted:

or is that project dead in the water?

Heh.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

I've just started reading Supergods, been meaning to read it for a while and figured with Multiversity upon us it's the perfect excuse to finally get in to it. The first couple of chapters start out innocently enough, with Morrison going through the important events of comic book history. Then it kinda goes of the rails as he starts talking about his own weird psycadelic black magic crossdressing rituals. I knew the guy was a bit unorthodox but I didn't know half of it.

Oddly enough, that just makes me more excited about multiversity.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
You should check out the documentary about him. I think in technical terms it's a little janky but the interviews they get out of him are enlightening.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
So now we have two earths with a black Superman. That is pretty awesome.

horsepeen
Sep 21, 2010

Christian Financial Adviser

Madkal posted:

So now we have two earths with a black Superman. That is pretty awesome.

Ever since that Action comics issue, I've been wanting more of that President Superman.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

horsepeen posted:

Ever since that Action comics issue, I've been wanting more of that President Superman.

Have you read Final Crisis?

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I saw the Morrison documentary when the directors were touring across the country with it. They showed it somewhere in PA at a science place inside a giant centrifuge.

I really, really like it and have watched it a couple times since. They've put it up on Youtube for free. They also did a Warren Ellis doc and one about the history of Image which are both also a lot of fun.

horsepeen
Sep 21, 2010

Christian Financial Adviser

Teenage Fansub posted:

Have you read Final Crisis?

Yeah I did some time ago. I've been meaning to reread the whole thing; now is probably the perfect time to.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

horsepeen posted:

Yeah I did some time ago. I've been meaning to reread the whole thing; now is probably the perfect time to.

There is an expanded edition out now in Absolute and TPB formats.

Mister Nobody posted:

A bit off topic but has Morrison mentioned anything about Seaguy lately or is that project dead in the water?

I'm guessing that's waiting for Cameron Stewart's involvement. Morrison also wasted a lot of time and focus trying to get movie projects off the ground, none of which worked out.

Mister Nobody
Feb 17, 2011

I could never have come up with that on purpose had I tried.

So I guess that means we will never find out what the hell Sinatoro was going to be about. :smith:

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

WickedHate posted:

I want JLA/Avengers redone with The Great Society and the Earth-8 heroes.

I want this so bad. Bendis and Johns ripping on each company's characters through the analogues.

redbackground posted:

He's okay, but not who I want to see on a project like this. The ugly, gradient-happy DC house coloring isn't helping set it apart, either. At least I know it'll get a whole lot better.

Reis would look so drat good with a top colorist, and maybe cleaner inks, instead of sketchier ones.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

We're all so ugly and stupid and doomed.
Won't post anything specific until the rest of the world has had a chance to read it but... Oooh, that was good wasn't it? Just gave it a quick read over lunchtime and will go back over it tonight. Wasn't too sure what I was expecting from this but it certainly delivered. It feels very much like a direct sequel to Final Crisis, definitely meta-Morrison.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh man that was nuts. Is the main villain in the beginning section a previously known character? DC wiki had nothing.

Also please analyse and dissect the hell out of that so I can have any idea what just happened to me

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

Bown posted:

Oh man that was nuts. Is the main villain in the beginning section a previously known character? DC wiki had nothing.

Someone else would probably know for sure but I'm pretty certain that they're all new to this.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
"The Gentry" are new, but they're intruders from elsewhere who don't obey natural law. The Gentry sounds like a term of endearment for faeries as people you don't want to piss off by insulting, kind of like "The Fair Folk" or "The Kindly Ones".

What other faeries has Grant Morrison used? The Sheeda (Sidhe) in Seven Soldiers, a comic with a very similar structure to this one. They're not the same, but they're analogous.

e: Wait, isn't the Sheeda mothership one of the shiftships on the map poster?

Mimir fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Aug 20, 2014

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

"My sole motive is to inform the public as to that which is done in their name and that which is done against them."
Here's the clue before I do annotations:

It's about collecting rent for what you own.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
gently caress I didn't realize this thread existed. I just wanted to say I really loved Multiversity.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
This was everything I wanted from a Morrison comic and more. This is going to be amazing.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
Thread theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbXWrmQW-OE

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I read the first issue this morning and. Yeah, it's certainly a Morrison comic alright. Meta as heck, hard to follow if you aren't really paying attention. Some of the worlds look really silly, but I'm really excited to read others.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Flameingblack posted:

I read the first issue this morning and. Yeah, it's certainly a Morrison comic alright. Meta as heck, hard to follow if you aren't really paying attention. Some of the worlds look really silly, but I'm really excited to read others.

This is where I'm at. Like most of Morrison's work, I wish I liked it more than I do, because clearly a lot of work and creativity went into it, but so much of it is just his typical masturbation over meta-fiction and how he thinks comics should be. I didn't hate it like I did Final Crisis, though, and the concept is novel enough that I want to see where it goes.

I thought Captain Carrot going "I always suspected that one world's reality was another's fiction. That's why I like happy endings!" was a great line. It really resonated with me.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Aug 20, 2014

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I suddenly hate my decision to actually but physical issues of this series. Can't go until later today and I want it SO BAD.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I didn't think it was as good as FC:Superman Beyond (as a similar thing.) Would have wanted it a bit longer for what it packed in.

BTW, Action Comics #9 is confirmed as required reading. It's a buck on Comixology in the Multiversity sale, as well as the aforementioned Superman Beyond.
Definitely read it first.
https://www.comixology.com/Multiversity-Sale/page/3152/?tid=B140819002_DC_Multiversity_Sale

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Hakkesshu posted:

This is where I'm at. Like most of Morrison's work, I wished I liked it more than I did, because clearly a lot of work and creativity went into it, but so much of it is just his typical masturbation over meta-fiction and how he thinks comics should be. I didn't hate it like I did Final Crisis, though, and the concept is novel enough that I want to see where it goes.

I thought Captain Carrot going "I always suspected that one world's reality was another's fiction. That's why I like happy endings!" was a great line. It really resonated with me.
I love Morrison's Animal Man, but the Coyote bits were really weird and I wasn't that into it.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Probably unintentional since this project has been simmering for so long, but there definitely feels like some sort of exciting tension between this and Hickman's New Avengers. Both are about traumatic points of contact between worlds, but with such drastically different stakes, and with such drastically different attitudes to how comics should imagine heroism. Morrison's faux-Avengers are as venal and earthy (that Hulk in a diaper!) as Hickman's faux-JLA are noble but dangerously idealistic.

The difference seems to be that, for Morrison, in the fictional laboratory that are superhero comics, the author has the option, and maybe the ethical obligation, to come up with a storytelling grammar in which the good guys can win. Captain Carrot's happy endings with real consequences.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Oh hey there, Granfaloon from Symphony of the Night!

I thought Reis' artwork during Blackest Night was pretty great, actually, but I dunno, it all looked pretty sloppy here, especially when panels get smaller-he just gives up on detail really quick. It was an uglier comic than I would have preferred, and maybe That Was The Point Or Something. As a semi-sequel to Finals Crisis and SB3D, Mahnke should have taken point.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Aug 20, 2014

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

Morrison's not really being very subtle with the Gentry. It seems pretty obvious that they represent comic book execs / editorial, destroying worlds at a whim. Talking about the Thunderer when they say "we'll strip him of his dignity" etc. harks back to one of the major theme of SevenSoldiers, namely, how creators treat their creations (or in this case, other peoples creations)

The Gentry refers back to the British landowner class of aristocracy who made their fortunes by leasing out their land to farmers etc. Making their fortune on the back of other peoples work and, of course, they treated their tenants like poo poo for the most part.

Morrison's definitely not happy about this sort of thing.

Nix Uotan being corrupted is interesting too. Is this the naive young fan or writer turning to the dark side? *cough* geoffjohns *cough*

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Shameless posted:

Nix Uotan being corrupted is interesting too. Is this the naive young fan or writer turning to the dark side? *cough* geoffjohns *cough*

Yep someone starting all heroic and writing about "heroes", then due to the way that comics work ends up selling out and becoming one of them. See JSA to Infinite Crisis.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Shameless posted:

Morrison's not really being very subtle with the Gentry. It seems pretty obvious that they represent comic book execs / editorial, destroying worlds at a whim. Talking about the Thunderer when they say "we'll strip him of his dignity" etc. harks back to one of the major theme of SevenSoldiers, namely, how creators treat their creations (or in this case, other peoples creations)

I think the choice of Earth 7 here is significant: its only previous appearance is in Countdown: Arena, meaning in reality it was created only so its heroes could pointlessly fight and die. This seems important because it means Morrison himself didn't create the Thunderer, so is exploring the consequences of someone *else's* fictional violence.

I've only read like the first ten pages of this and it took me half an hour, but I really like it so far. I like that our world is just one among 52 here, as important and unimportant as the ones that are thrown away. I like the use of metafiction to celebrate the broadness of the world rather than assert the superiority of our tiny, familiar part. It's a really interesting way to develop those ideas, and there's a solidity to them I feel is perhaps missing from Morrison's more odd for odd's sake work. But then I thought Action Comics #18 was one of the best comics ever, so I'm probably more predisposed to this sort of thing than most.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I absolutely love that DC Comics editorial is stuck publishing a comic about how DC Comics editorial is a horrifying corruptive influence who revels in the eternal agony of constant heroic ruin. I am completely down with this poo poo.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I absolutely love that DC Comics editorial is stuck publishing a comic about how DC Comics editorial is a horrifying corruptive influence who revels in the eternal agony of constant heroic ruin. I am completely down with this poo poo.

I think Morrison's recent work is more interesting if it's read about the dangers of being corrupted by the narratives of popular fiction in general, even if that's not the intent. Certainly the ends of Batman Incorporated and Action Comics both seemed to be criticisms of myths as commodities to an extent; the fame of Batman's story means he can't ever truly end his journey, but just repeat it in endless iterations; Superman exists as a truly powerful idea, but can only exist within the limits of stories his owners feel reasonably able to tell. The only hope for both is to enter the public domain, but that's because they're warped by the need for their stories to be sold rather than anything particular to DC.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

vegetables posted:

I think Morrison's recent work is more interesting if it's read about the dangers of being corrupted by the narratives of popular fiction in general, even if that's not the intent. Certainly the ends of Batman Incorporated and Action Comics both seemed to be criticisms of myths as commodities to an extent; the fame of Batman's story means he can't ever truly end his journey, but just repeat it in endless iterations; Superman exists as a truly powerful idea, but can only exist within the limits of stories his owners feel reasonably able to tell. The only hope for both is to enter the public domain, but that's because they're warped by the need for their stories to be sold rather than anything particular to DC.

I don't know, I really cam't see The Gentry as anything else. Between the game, their dialogue, and the ending of the issue, it's kind of painfully blunt. I do agree that it's about the constraints of the narrative but those constraints are a result of the editorial who revel in the moment of heroic collapse rather than allowing change and growth.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

Yes exactly, the constraints are definitely there, and Morrison is hitting that (Uotan trapped in the shrinking panel), but the constraints are only on the characters because they're on the writers in the first place. Writers aren't allowed to tell the stories they may want to tell because the higher-ups aren't allowing them to.

This could be where the "you" hero of the series comes into it because, as readers buying the same old same old month in and month out, we're contributing to the problem as much as anyone.

Edit: the first page with the landlady is interesting too and the pictures juxtapose the text. Whilst we're reading about life, written quite positively, we're seeing it negatively with the landlady demanding money, feeding off Nix, then her head-lice feeding off her, and then lice on the lice. Like an eternal parasitic cycle.

Shameless fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Aug 20, 2014

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Weren't the Gentry mentioned in Seven Soldiers? I swear the word came up in connection to the Seven Unknown Men of Slaughter Swamp, which where also obvious metaphors for comic creators.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Flameingblack posted:

I love Morrison's Animal Man, but the Coyote bits were really weird and I wasn't that into it.

This is a slept-on joke.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

I think it's too simplistic to say that this is an attack on DC Comics editorial, or even popular narrative techniques. This is an attack on purism. The Gentry demonstrate their power by constricting the fictional space around Nix Uotan -- crushing him by limiting what is possible, which includes but is not limited to the narrative conclusion that is death. It's an attack on fans, commentators, and creators who, say, can't abide the slightest divergence from "their" specific favourite version of Batman, forgetting that Batman is a 75-year-old collaborative idea interpreted hundreds of times by hundreds of creators through a dozen media -- none of which have any definitive claim whatsoever to be the "real" Batman.

Naturally, the only opposition to such ludicrous and selfish strictures is a disparate array of alternative and analogous possibilities -- some black, some gay, some wacky cartoon rabbits.

What really bears discussion is the matter of Nix Uotan -- arguably Morrison's fictionsuit in Final Crisis -- making the transition from idealistic, innocent Monitor to cynical, corrupted Gentry. Is this the Superjudge confessing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

On a basic level I don't get why Marvel Comics would have to fear or be in danger of DC editoral coming to destroy their things. Well based on the thought that I'm sure this was written pre-influx of terrible editors from DC to Marvel.

On the basic of the book itself I'm going to re-read a bit but it all seems pretty straight forward as far as Morrison things go. It does have a lot of those quotes and singular moments (mostly from Captain Carrot) that made Final Crisis so great.

• Locked thread