Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
I play a lot of games, but this is Imp Zone so who doesn't?

Anyway, sometimes games I play turn out to be fun or at least tolerable in spite of my low expectations!

For example, 'Two Worlds II' is actually a fun game, and not at all bullshit (in the same ways) as the first game. Obviously you have to disregard any story or plot going on, but the freeform character development and interesting equipment upgrade system made the game fun enough to play that I finished it.

Another game I recently found pretty good despite its heritage was 'Pac Man Championship Ediiton DX+' on Steam. I was born in 1981, so I got my fill of the original game by the time I was 5, and it wasn't even that great when I was a kid. But this new game is intense, and the variability and speed really keep me interested despite it still being a pacman game.

One last one I found really fun to play even though it's in a played-out genre by a nobody developer is 'The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing' games. The quips between the main characters are funny or clever, the skill system has lots of options, and hitting werewolves with grenades so hard they explode into gibs is satisfying as heck. Sometimes the fights can be a little unbalanced in favor of the monsters and you get killed, but it's fine because it lets you respawn on the spot. It does start to feel like a slog near the end, but I kept playing to see what the next tier of skills were like, and overall had a good time.

Imp Zone, what games have you played that turned out to be decent when you expected them to be terrible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

space marine was better than I expected

Harthacnut
Jul 29, 2014

Inspired by the current LP, I played the MDickie wrestling game and had some fun with it. My guy even died in my first hardcore match less than 4 months into the career.

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've been playing the JoJo's Bizarre Adventure fighting game lately and it's kind of addicting. It has a mobile style online campaign mode where you unlock outfits and stuff and the fighting is easy enough for a person like me that sucks at fighting games.

I don't think id recommend it to anything that doesn't loving love JoJo

cute anime girl
Feb 14, 2014

Hitman Absolution wasn't that bad of a game, it just wasn't a proper Hitman game.

gently caress you I just want my cold well-dressed assassin, not some bald, psychic compassionate babysitter

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
all of them

Bitcoin420
Oct 30, 2013

Lord of Bore posted:

Inspired by the current LP, I played the MDickie wrestling game and had some fun with it. My guy even died in my first hardcore match less than 4 months into the career.

I've had a hell of a lot of fun with that game and I don't think it'd be half as good if it was polished or made any sense. Could do without the arbitrary stats loss but everything else is beautiful. I remember playing a memorial match for some guy I killed and the match was in a ring filled with dynamite. Roll on next weeks memorial match

Harthacnut
Jul 29, 2014

Bitcoin420 posted:

I've had a hell of a lot of fun with that game and I don't think it'd be half as good if it was polished or made any sense. Could do without the arbitrary stats loss but everything else is beautiful. I remember playing a memorial match for some guy I killed and the match was in a ring filled with dynamite. Roll on next weeks memorial match

Yeah, the sheer mindfuck nature of it is half the charm. I died because the ref got pissy with me, kicked me in the face and made me fall onto broken glass, after which I went on to a different career where I bombarded someone with TNT for 5 minutes without so much as a false alarm injury.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
Soliel on Megadrive looks and feels like a ripoff of Zelda LttP. But the more you advance in the game the darker the story gets.

At one point you think you would save an NPC but no, they get tortured and dumped in a dungeon to die. You even reach them before they die but you can't do poo poo. Dark man... dark.

Keep in mind this is a game that looks like this:

(don't play the US release they hosed up the translation)

Dec 26, 2012

was there a fan translation or something

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

Soliel on Megadrive looks and feels like a ripoff of Zelda LttP. But the more you advance in the game the darker the story gets.

At one point you think you would save an NPC but no, they get tortured and dumped in a dungeon to die. You even reach them before they die but you can't do poo poo. Dark man... dark.

Crusader of Centy is a more epic zelda ripoff on the Genesis.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

01011001 posted:

was there a fan translation or something

use the european one

AndyAML
Jul 24, 2006

HEY BASS WHY MUST I FIGHT YOU WE ARE NOT ENEMIES

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

goddamn nightmare fuel right here. Brr

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

Alundra on the PSX was similar to this, overhead Zelda-like, but hamlet esque melodramatic story where nearly everyone goes insane/gets sick then dies. It was an ok game, a lot of focus on combat over puzzles for a zelday game, but still pretty good.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

Crimson Harvest posted:

For example, 'Two Worlds II' is actually a fun game, and not at all bullshit (in the same ways) as the first game. Obviously you have to disregard any story or plot going on, but the freeform character development and interesting equipment upgrade system made the game fun enough to play that I finished it.

Does Two Worlds II do the fun things the first one did like have you walk through a completely empty cave, then the game engine catches up and suddenly the entire thing is filled with 1000 skeletons casting spells and the particle effects crash the game? I probably won't enjoy the second one if that was removed.

Crewmine
Apr 26, 2012
Freedom Fighters for PS2 was extremely fun, especially the local multiplayer.

Harthacnut
Jul 29, 2014

Crewmine posted:

Freedom Fighters for PS2 was extremely fun, especially the local multiplayer.

Hells yes

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

im the one person who enjoyed velvet assassin

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
since this is the imp zone on something awful...

:goonsay:bioshock infinite

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

yeah, the game is fun.

but it is apart of a bigger series and it is at the poo poo end of that series comparatively.

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay
Long Live the Queen. I still feel like a pedophile for ever having played it, though

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Schnedwob posted:

Long Live the Queen. I still feel like a pedophile for ever having played it, though

Why?

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay

despite being a pretty fun CYOA type thing, it still looks and feels like an anime dating sim

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

I think that game had a lot of weird hosed up sex stuff going on with a 14 year old protagonist and possibly relatives but that's just what I got out of the LP for it which was also really hosed up and weird

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Widestancer posted:

I think that game had a lot of weird hosed up sex stuff going on with a 14 year old protagonist and possibly relatives but that's just what I got out of the LP for it which was also really hosed up and weird

I thought the game didn't get any weirder than ppl trying to marry her for political reasons. But I could be wrong.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

I thought the game didn't get any weirder than ppl trying to marry her for political reasons. But I could be wrong.

It might just have been the LP people being weird

That is a distinct possibility

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
Anyways that game sucks because the entire thing is just trial and error figuring out what skills you need to raise in order to not die.

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay
You can't even get married in-game, just promised to be married (and yeah, it's for political reasons) but at the end of the day, this is the main menu:

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I had many hours of fun playing legendary videogame disappointment Black & White

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Fun has no meaning and anyone who thinks that the word "fun" has meaning is dumb and shouldn't be playing games because games aren't for fun obviously

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

fun is a buzz word

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I believe in fun and fun believes in me

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros

Widestancer posted:

Fun has no meaning and anyone who thinks that the word "fun" has meaning is dumb and shouldn't be playing games because games aren't for fun obviously

This but unironically.

The only words that matter in video games are frags and pixels

Soral
May 30, 2009

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

this is correct

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

Anyways that game sucks because the entire thing is just trial and error figuring out what skills you need to raise in order to not die.

this is also correct, but i like the game anyways because im weird

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros
Is the Long Live the Queen LP creepier/weirder than Zorak's Pokemon LP?

Abysswalker
Apr 25, 2013

Schnedwob posted:

You can't even get married in-game, just promised to be married (and yeah, it's for political reasons) but at the end of the day, this is the main menu:

there's nothing sexual in the game. i'm sorry that the menu picture makes you think impure thoughts

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Kingdoms of Amalur looked like bargain bin shovelware but was better than Skyrim.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Descent is decent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
this is just another take on the gaming confessions threads

• Locked thread