Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

Glad to see this thread's gone up! Unfortunately I've already read Cat of Many Tails, so I can't participate for this book, but I'll watch the thread keenly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

Rand Brittain posted:

I've started side-reading The Greek Coffin Mystery and I kind of wish I could reach into the book and murder Ellery to shut his smart mouth forever.

He was completey insufferable in that one. On the other hand, it was a good book apart from him, and I think Ellery was intentionally being made that insufferable at that point, which made it better for me in retrospect. Though he could still be annoying in later books, he was never that bad again. But I still don't like him. One of the TV series adaptations actually made Ellery likeable, which was a nice change.

Hopeford posted:

but holy hell Vance was an annoying detective.

Oh, he absolutely was. I like the books a lot, and I'd place some of them among my favourite mystery novels, but Vance was never a likeable person. I'd say he was at his worst in the last two stories, probably because those two were just worse stories overall and couldn't compensate.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

Thus Was Adonis Murdered sounds good to me.

About Cat of Many Tails, I'd just like to take a moment to complain about how bad one of the film adaptations of it is. The 1971 film Ellery Queen: Don't Look Behind You, starring Peter Lawford portraying Ellery as a swinging womaniser, is one of the worst films I've ever watched. Dull as ditchwater, and Ellery was constantly creepy, although the basic mystery plot was preserved.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

Excellent writing style. It's good to be reading a mystery writer who's willing to sound a bit eccentric. I haven't a clue who the culprit is yet. But it had better not be Julia.

It may turn out differently, but I assume that the one who's going to die will be Ned, on account of the Adonis in the title and his good looks. Even if he is an inland revenue lawyer. I thought for a moment that Julia was really over-reacting to Ned's identity, since she's a lawyer after all, but wait, there was all that stuff earlier in the book about Julia's bad experiences with inland revenue, so it really makes perfect sense. He's her natural enemy.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

I'm good with moving ahead at a faster pace. This book's hard to put down.

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

Oh my god this is a series, we should read the other books in the series. :allears:

Thank you for mentioning that! This book is really delightful, and hearing that there are more of them is excellent news. I have to wonder how, for example, Julia would handle investigating a crime? Assuming that Julia does not find herself in prison forevermore at the end of this book.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

I foolishly read too far by accident quite some time ago, so missed out on the theorising. Caught in the "I'm tired and I need some light reading, so I'll read to the end of the current allotted chapters, oh wait how far did I overshoot that?" trap. It's such a pleasant book to read.

I've got to say I'm really impressed by how well people guessed the culprit! Very nice work. And people also guessed that something had to be up with Ned that could make the corpse somebody else.

I liked this book so much that I've already bought the next book in the series (but am not reading it yet) and would be quite keen for it to be a future selection for this thread. I want to see Julia trying to solve a case where (I assume) she's not a suspect. Unless her being a suspect turns out to be a running gag.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

Stop Press sounds like a good choice to me. I've already read two books by Michael Innes and would like to read another. Murder on the Orient Express ought to be excellent, but yes, who hasn't already been spoiled for it? ...I somehow managed to not be spoiled for The Murder of Roger Ackroyd, but then, in the interval between the time when I bought it and the time I planned to start reading, someone randomly threw a spoiler into a conversation. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

I already read The Blind Barber a few years ago, but I can definitely second that it's a very good and funny read, and a fun and solvable mystery too. It's one of my very favourite Carr books. The humour in this one worked well for me, contrary to in some of Carr's other sillier books like The Case of the Constant Suicides.

• Locked thread