Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

KennyMan666 posted:

Right, ended it, thought I still had something to do there.

It ain't over, not by a long shot. I still have tricks up my sleeve.

Yeah, you're not going to Victory March my properties. Nice knowing you Kenny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roonerspism
Nov 12, 2010
Hahahaha I set up a wall of low HP infantry to stop this from happening to me, refreshed a couple of minutes later and had the biggest :allears: on my face

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

I have an infinite supply of insane plans, don't worry.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Oh, there isn't a new game. :negative:
S Ranking AW2's Hard campaign and War Rooms maps without guides is still one of my best gaming accomplishments. :3:

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

KennyMan666 posted:

I have an infinite supply of insane plans, don't worry.

I'd love to see the "Break Roone's incoming forces aiming to capture your HQ" plan.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

But that would be the sensible thing to do, thus, a sane plan.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Is there anything like AWBW for Days of Ruin?

Slur posted:

I'd love to see the "Break Roone's incoming forces aiming to capture your HQ" plan.

let's not be condescending

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Sep 7, 2014

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Is there anything like AWBW for Days of Ruin?

There isn't; remember that Nintendo's online networks only went down a year ago, and nobody has worked on an Advance Wars web client in years.

And, I do not wish to be condescending so much as I would just like to see Kenny surprise me. This game that we are locked in has been nothing but entertaining for me, and I've seen an "anything can happen"-esque approach from all sides. If Kenny can pull off a successful defense at this point in the game? I will be astounded, and equally I think he can pull it off if he plays his cards right.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Me and one of my old college roommates used to fire AW2 up on my GC gameboy player, design a 2vs2 coop vs. AI map that's completely in the AI favor, and see what kind of poo poo we could get out of.

Turns out we were both bad at the game, but the AI was worse. Still was a ton of fun though. I've always thought it was kinda weird that they've let this franchise languish for so long. But if they do make a new one I'd also prefer the colourful style.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Me and one of my old college roommates used to fire AW2 up on my GC gameboy player, design a 2vs2 coop vs. AI map that's completely in the AI favor, and see what kind of poo poo we could get out of.

I did this exact same thing with Days of Ruin (although less trying to hand the game to the AI as much as just make the maps asymmetrical in ways that favored them). The map editor really extended that game's life for me by a lot.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

I did this exact same thing with Days of Ruin (although less trying to hand the game to the AI as much as just make the maps asymmetrical in ways that favored them). The map editor really extended that game's life for me by a lot.

The Days of Ruin map editor was amazing in the sense of where you could edit the dimensions of the maps without the pipelines, as well as hold 50 of them in one cart as opposed to 3.

There was also the download feature until Nintendo pulled the plug on DS/Wii games and their online capabilities. Let's hope that doesn't happen this generation too.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

He's not being condescending as much as he's being right, though - I have no idea what I'm doing anymore and is mostly loving around. My goal right now is make people confused. Including myself, probably, because I'll be making moves and regretting them immediately. :D

'course, I'll still be fighting to the bitter end - I don't know when to give up. And resigning just because you're about to lose is what pussies do. No ragequits here.

I'm not dead yet but will probably be soon enough, and the current mess I'm in is a good example of that my Sami lategame is extremely weak when I'm getting pushed back. But more on that later, I've already identified a number of of mistakes I made this match that, ultimately, led to my downfall. poo poo that gets me into situations I need to figure out how to deal with in the future so I can be a better CO (and maybe you lot can give me some advice for how to work on said weak spots). But for my first game of anything Advance Wars at all in, what, 3-4 years, I think I did half decent at least! And it's been fun getting back into it. It's actually kind of interesting how into Advance Wars by Web I've gotten when I've played nearly nothing of the GBA and DS games, mostly read some LPs.

Doing better in my other match. It's always a good sign you're doing well when the person you're having your frontline battle with starts writing angry things to you in all caps on IRC! :D

Since I'll be down to only one active match soon, I'm going to be hungering for more wars. Do we have enough people here interested in doing something like a big fuckoff 3v3 match?

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Sep 8, 2014

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I'll play a match with someone, if they're interested. Either a large thing or smaller, I don't care.

Roonerspism
Nov 12, 2010

KennyMan666 posted:

He's not being condescending as much as he's being right, though - I have no idea what I'm doing anymore and is mostly loving around. My goal right now is make people confused.

Pilots, begin Operation Tour the Battlefield.

quote:

(and maybe you lot can give me some advice for how to work on said weak spots).
Well I think we've already gone over the way you were too conservative with your SCOP - have you gone in to the damage calculator and checked out the numbers, by the way? A full health mech can instantly destroy any vehicle (well, not Md+ tanks, but I still don't want to be the guy who loses a third of a big tank to a single mech attack) with Sami SCOP going. I think even if you're playing Sami it's more realistic to grind out a win with efficient mech attacks than going for some big play on properties that they're going to see coming.

The other thing is I don't think the rocket truck was a good purchase or used particularly well against me. Firstly, you didn't run it away after I bought the copter. If it was making some incredibly important attack then I could understand sacrificing it, but you didn't end up breaking through my line - even after the snow delayed my big pushback by a turn.

Secondly, I believe that two artillery would've been a better purchase over a rocket truck in the first place - they're cheaper individually so you don't have to avoid purchasing infantry on any turns, they get more attacks per turn and, together, more damage per turn. The area denial that a rocket truck gives you doesn't really matter, I'm already not willing to put tanks on my defensive line against you because you have so many mechs.

quote:

Since I'll be down to only one active match soon, I'm going to be hungering for more wars. Do we have enough people here interested in doing something like a big fuckoff 3v3 match?

Yeah, we should start up a new game soonish - I'll probably want to be part of another game once this one becomes a big slog in the middle anyway.

Roonerspism fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Sep 8, 2014

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

I'll be writing more about my mistakes eventually, tonight or tomorrow probably.

I found a pretty fun-looking 3v3 map, so I might start a new game up eventually. So if people want to play in a big game, speak up!

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

KennyMan666 posted:

I'll be writing more about my mistakes eventually, tonight or tomorrow probably.

I found a pretty fun-looking 3v3 map, so I might start a new game up eventually. So if people want to play in a big game, speak up!

I'm in

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
I am up to advance some wars

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

So that's four. Me, Austrian, Roone and kooky.

But, before I actually make that official, here's the stuff basically: Pretty big map, designed for 3v3, meant to involve all three of land/air/sea, clear weather, Fog of War on, usual bans plus Javier 'cause comm towers. (I kinda want to ban Hawke as well but that's just because the last time I played a six player game, half the players were Hawke, and I don't think I've ever played a game with more than two players where there wasn't at least one Hawke so I'd like to see that SOME time)

If you're still in after that info you do't need to mention it again, just say if you don't want to play anymore.

I'm thinking that when we have six people who want to play it I draw the teams randomly and then we go from there.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
What are the usual bans?

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Colin, Kanbei, Hachi, Sensei, Grit.

On this particular map I think I'll be slapping a ban on Kindle as well due to the amount of properties, but I'm up for discussing it.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Austrian mook posted:

What are the usual bans?

Colin, Kanbei, Hachi, Grit, Sensei, and Javier (if there are more than 2 Comm Towers on the map).

Kenny, can you post the game information so that I can update the OP with it?

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Dammit Sensei is the best

E: since we're using dual strike are we gonna have the two commanders thing? I never liked that.

Austrian mook fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Sep 8, 2014

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Sensei is also horribly, horribly broken.

AWBW isn't Dual Strike, it's kind of a mix of 2 and DS. You can make a game be with tag commanders but we're not doing that.

Also, as far as I can tell, for all COs that were in both AW2 and Dual Strike and had their stats changed for Dual Strike, AWBW uses AW2 stats - so Lash gets +10% per terrain star rather than +5%, for instance. I think Sturm is the exception, in AWBW he's 80/120 and of course ignores terrain.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe
I might be down for a big game of AW, unfortunately I'm in the EU so timezones will definitely be a problem if everyone else is playing from the states. :v:

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Don't worry, we already have that problem with me being Swedish!

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Soulfucker posted:

I might be down for a big game of AW, unfortunately I'm in the EU so timezones will definitely be a problem if everyone else is playing from the states. :v:

Roone is Australian. Kenny is European. I'm Canadian.

This game that we have going on has been doing so for weeks. There's no need to worry about time zones.

Roonerspism
Nov 12, 2010

KennyMan666 posted:

Don't worry, we already have that problem with me being Swedish!

Don't take all the credit, my turns come in from Australia. That's why my units are so hosed by snow, they've never seen it before!

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

And in the other game I play, we're two Europeans and two Americans. At least the turn order there goes America-America-Europe-Europe, but it's a 2v2 game where both teams consist of one European and one American. So we go through MAYBE two full rounds of turns per 24 hour period.

This is one of the reasons I kinda want to have more games going, so I get to take a few more turns every day. :V

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Just found this topic. Haven't played AW in quite a while, but I'd definitely be up for this if another game starts.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Imagine, Advance Wars on your phone where you can have 30 saved games running at once.

E: Also, since we're gonna have 3 people on a team, we are probably going to have to get eachothers Skype info so we can strategize.

Austrian mook fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Sep 8, 2014

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

I updated the OP with Kenny's game information. The last two slots were taken.

Slur fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Sep 8, 2014

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Kenny, Roone, kooky, Austrian, fucker and Roland, that makes six. So, fucker and Roland, are you in?

So if those are our players I can random up the teams and post the map so discussions can be made. I can't really create the game until I know what starting position I'm going to have - on this map, the different starting positions lend themselves to different functions for the team, so to speak - so the game doesn't exist yet.

There'll be some more information about the game eventually (soon), and I'm open for discussions on unit bans and so - Megatank and Black Bomb are going to be banned, at any rate.

The Hawke ban is purely a personal thing. I'm highly open for opinions on that one.

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Sep 8, 2014

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm up for it. Where would team discussions take place, out of curiosity, here or on IRC or something?

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

IRC or Skype, I s'pose. Whichever people use. Or anything the team wants to use, but my team would probably have to use IRC or Skype since those are what I use.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Roland Jones posted:

I'm up for it. Where would team discussions take place, out of curiosity, here or on IRC or something?

I think he's drawing them from a hat. You guys can hang out in the AWBW IRC if you guys wish to, or the Steam group I set up, or Skype.

Kenny, I'd recommend banning Stealth Fighters, only due to their nature of being nigh-invincible while stealth'd, dealing out a heavy amount of damage, and being destroyable by only a few select units; it grants way too heavy an advantage.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Roland Jones posted:

I'd prefer Skype, if the other members of my team are okay with that.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
IRC works for me, I'm on it all the time anyway. I can do Skype too though.

As for bans, no recommendations here. You got the big ones already. Though why are you considering Hawke, out of curiosity? I suppose his CO power can be obnoxious when there are a ton of enemies, but I never heard of him being up there with the others on that list. (Though it doesn't matter too much to me anyway, I mainly like playing Sami. Sami rocks.)

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

^^^ Honestly it's just because I'm starting to get tired of Hawke. Last six-player game of AWBW I played? Three Hawkes.

'kay, add Stealths to the banned list 'cause this map is meant to involve air fighting. And yeah, teams will be drawn out of a hat. Or hat-analogue. I'll post them here when it's done.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Gotcha. I like Hawke, but as I said, I lean towards Sami strongly, as well as Jess and a couple others so he was at best a tertiary pick for me. He's reliable but kind of boring compared to others, so I don't mind not picking him.

Edit: Is fog of war on, out of curiosity? I don't know if AWBW even has that functionality actually, but it's worth asking about.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Sep 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Yes, when I make a game, it's with fog. When playing with human players I prefer FoW, since without fog you can't really try much in ways of sneaky/fun tactics when everyone can see everything you do. Team games have shared vision for everyone in the team, of course.

• Locked thread