Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

darealkooky posted:

it's cool, lash is too :getin:

e: as long as I survive longer then slur does, I have no regrets about the oncoming jess storm

The irony of this entire scenario is that I actually do fear being the first one out of this match, even though it's practically impossible at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
How do Comm Towers work on teams? Does your whole team get the bonus or only the person who captured it? This will be relevant in the team game that's happening soon.

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

This thread is beneath my talent, but I....shall elevate it.
Been replaying the original on my Wii U because nostalgia, might as well get in on all this AWBW action (I used to play it back in High School, nice to see it's still truckin'). Any goons up for a game?

Roonerspism
Nov 12, 2010

Roland Jones posted:

How do Comm Towers work on teams? Does your whole team get the bonus or only the person who captured it? This will be relevant in the team game that's happening soon.

I'm pretty sure nothing in AW has team-wide effects. (So not COP healing, not comm towers, etc.) Everything is seperate, we just happen to be three individual armies that are working together.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Kooriken posted:

Been replaying the original on my Wii U because nostalgia, might as well get in on all this AWBW action (I used to play it back in High School, nice to see it's still truckin'). Any goons up for a game?

sure, I made one on a map called "agitated" password is "fireemblem"

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Roonerspism posted:

I'm pretty sure nothing in AW has team-wide effects. (So not COP healing, not comm towers, etc.) Everything is seperate, we just happen to be three individual armies that are working together.

Alright. Figured powers didn't affect teammates, but good to know about the towers.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Roonerspism posted:

This is why Sasha is really good in team games. Market Crash lowers the entire enemy team's bars, and you can basically just spam it indefinitely, so you're giving up one team member's COPs/SCOPs to deny the entire enemy team theirs.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

I just dealt the killing blow on a B-Copter with an infantry, I have no regrets even though I had to selfblock that factory to do it

kooky: ...why in the absolute hells did you pop your COP rather than your SCOP

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

darealkooky posted:

sure, I made one on a map called "agitated" password is "fireemblem"

Alright, joined up and ready to go!

Roonerspism
Nov 12, 2010

KennyMan666 posted:

I just dealt the killing blow on a B-Copter with an infantry, I have no regrets even though I had to selfblock that factory to do it

Oh thank goodness someone finally tested that, I really wanted to check if COPing removed the entire bar instead of just how much it costs and apparently it does - that sucks.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Endorph posted:

This is why Sasha is really good in team games. Market Crash lowers the entire enemy team's bars, and you can basically just spam it indefinitely, so you're giving up one team member's COPs/SCOPs to deny the entire enemy team theirs.

Wow, that is disgusting.

Roonerspism posted:

Oh thank goodness someone finally tested that, I really wanted to check if COPing removed the entire bar instead of just how much it costs and apparently it does - that sucks.

That really does suck, dang.

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

Roland Jones posted:

Wow, that is disgusting.

It's also why Sasha is basically my go-to for the campaigns in AWDS-making sure your opponent never gets a Dual Strike (or even a SCOP) is gamebreaking. The extra money from every city is just icing on the cake. Anyone who uses Sasha's SCOP is doing it wrong.

EDIT: Made a FFA 4 Player on AWBW. Game name is Goon Morning Vietnam, password is goonwar.

Kooriken fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Sep 9, 2014

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

KennyMan666 posted:

it boosts your attack a tiny bit no matter what co you use, and I wanted to do slightly more damage to the infidel slur before I get burried under the weight of everyone dog piling me

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

The question remains!

Using a COP or SCOP with any CO gives all your units +10% in both attack and defense from just having it active for the turn. Lash's COP makes her units ignore terrain pentalties, Lash's SCOP makes her units ignore terrain penalties and gives her units doubled defensive stars from terrain, defensive stars that Lash's units get +10% attack per star from.

So, why in the absolute hells did you pop your COP rather than your SCOP

Roonerspism
Nov 12, 2010
^
Yo, when's that 3v3 starting? I haven't talked with soulfucker yet but Roland has spoken with the two of us and we know which positions we're playing

Kooriken posted:

EDIT: Made a FFA 4 Player on AWBW. Game name is Goon Morning Vietnam, password is goonwar.

I'm up for another FFA after my current one, but have you stumbled upon a joke map or something?

1. In order to counter First Turn Advantage, they gave a single infantry to... the first two countries to act. I mean, a single infantry isn't enough on a 7 property start anyway, so hey who's it hurting.

2. The map is giant and boring. There's no interaction between the players for the first 10-20 turns because of recon-unfriendliness and how giant it is.

3. Hahaha they gave a purple infantry to black hole - that's gonna cause glitches

4. The naval aspect of the map is real bad - one tile wide chokepoints everywhere.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

KennyMan666 posted:

So, why in the absolute hells did you pop your COP rather than your SCOP

because I'm in salt the earth mode where I just drag this game out as long as possible/blow up as many things as I can as fast as I can, and didn't wanna risk losing before I built SCOP

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

Noted. Taking it down for now until I can find a better map.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

I'm starting a new 2v2 game, with Fog of War on, and random weather effects. I would like some new opponents in this match. Someone has already opted in as my teammate in this game. Who else would like to join in?

Also, I just want to remind everyone we have a Steam group for any public and instantaneous discussion, if anyone wants to use it.

Slur fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Sep 9, 2014

Super Space Jam 64
Jan 6, 2010

Yet another violation of regulation 1910 subpart D.
Hoping to see another LP writeup for one of these games, that last one was fantastic.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Roonerspism posted:

Yo, when's that 3v3 starting? I haven't talked with soulfucker yet but Roland has spoken with the two of us and we know which positions we're playing
My team is still in time zone mode and I've managed to have one communication with one of them so far. But I'm working on it.

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

Alright, made a new 4P game with an old favorite map from Versus mode.

Map: Chain Canal
Game Name: Goon Morning Vietnam
Pass: goonwar

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Kooriken posted:

Alright, made a new 4P game with an old favorite map from Versus mode.

Map: Chain Canal
Game Name: Goon Morning Vietnam
Pass: goonwar

Are there any CO/Unit bans I should note?

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
Man, I got all excited that there was a new game out :smith:

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

Slur posted:

Are there any CO/Unit bans I should note?

Banned COs: Colin, Kindle, Sturm, Von Bolt, Sasha, Hachi, Nell, Sensei.
Banned Units: All units introduced in AWDS plus Neotanks.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Alright, Soulfucker, Roonespism, putting a GDoc in our IRC topic soon, so get on when you can and I can give you access to it. So far it doesn't contain anything we haven't talked about (or, well, that I haven't talked about; since I talked to you two separately some of the info might be new to one or the other of you), but since all three of us will be able to edit it it will allow us to talk without always being on at the same time and share strategy stuff.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Okay, after much ado, we have a game.

Gangs of Goons can be found here.

Passsword is :getin: (including the colons).

Don't ask my why I banned the Piperunner because I had actually forgotten that I did.

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Sep 10, 2014

Sixx Spades
Aug 16, 2013

I've been playing on that site for a while now. I'll give it a go with you guys in Kenny's game.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

What? No. All slots are already taken for that game, teams were drawn a few days ago. Gonna have to remove you.

...wait, CRAP.

Okay. For those of you who joined that game? You're gonna have to join a new game because I forgot to hit the Team checkbox so it was created as a FFA game and you can't change settings between creating and starting.

The previous link will still be good since that's just a link to all the games waiting to start on that map. All other details identical except that I didn't ban Piperunner this time because I don't even know why I did that the first time.

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Sep 10, 2014

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Banning Piperunner isn't a big deal, since the map doesn't have any pipes. Unless someone wants to make an immobile turret that locks up a lab of theirs no one is going to be building them anyway.

Anyway, my team's all signed up in the new game.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
So does anyone else not like the idea of COs with no weakness. I don't mean like Andy or Hawke were they don't have any strengths either, But some like lash just get cool abilities with no downside.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hawke has +10% offense.

Anyway, Lash's weakness is tied into her ability. She needs terrain, which means she fumbles on maps with low amounts of it. Lash's ideal map is a tightly packed one with lots of terrain, and so a big one with lots of roads and plains with most of the terrain on the edges, away from the fighting, fucks her over. Like, yeah, she doesn't suffer a penalty off of terrain, but she doesn't need one: Being 100/100 with no COP or SCOP is a weakness in and of itself. Any weakness you could give her would only serve to water her down.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Lash is terrain-dependent enough (and, in AWBW, has a terrible COP) that I'd probably put her as about the same or even below Hawke most of the time, really. Besides things like none of her aircraft benefiting from anything she has and neither her ships not getting much either, with how most maps consist of things like plains she's probably not beating Hawke in strength most of the time anyway. Getting a decent bonus to indirects in forests and cities is nice, I suppose, but she's not particularly overbearing or anything.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I'd say Lash is one of the better COs, but she isn't broken. She has weaknesses that can be exploited and doesn't dominate on all maps the way the ban list does. Even the worst COs have a couple of map-types they do extremely well in. Drake's pretty bad on your average map, but in a map with a lot of water and no airports (and maps like that do exist), he's busted. Adder's fairly mediocre, but he loves really tiny maps that are all about mechs.

There's a tier list, sure, but a big part of CO selection is the map itself.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Okay, I might have kicked Soulfucker from the team game if his AWBW nick is Argajag... something, because kooky was going to join and the available country slots weren't what they were supposed to be and I didn't recognize that nick so SORRY ABOUT THAT and rejoin. The person who had joined in the wrong slot turned out to be one of our own team so SORRY ABOUT THAT AGAIN

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Kooriken posted:

sorry to puss out, but it was totally hopeless and frankly I didn't feel like dealing with the clunky awbw interface just so you could churn out more battleships and poo poo I can't possibly keep up with and continue to box me into a corner

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Sep 10, 2014

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

KennyMan666 posted:

Okay, I might have kicked Soulfucker from the team game if his AWBW nick is Argajag... something, because kooky was going to join and the available country slots weren't what they were supposed to be and I didn't recognize that nick so SORRY ABOUT THAT and rejoin. The person who had joined in the wrong slot turned out to be one of our own team so SORRY ABOUT THAT AGAIN

To quote Soulfucker when we asked him the same thing on IRC yesterday, "most games don't allow the username "Soulfucker" for som inexplicable reason." Yeah, that's them.

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

darealkooky posted:

sorry to puss out, but it was totally hopeless and frankly I didn't feel like dealing with the clunky awbw interface just so you could churn out more battleships and poo poo I can't possibly keep up with and continue to box me into a corner

Nah that's fine. Was fun while it lasted! The map was a little poorly designed in that there were a few naval chokepoints where I could park cruisers and have my Bships be safe from subs. Plus Sasha is pretty broken in her own right. Extra money from every city is ridiculous.

Sixx Spades
Aug 16, 2013

KennyMan666 posted:

What? No. All slots are already taken for that game, teams were drawn a few days ago. Gonna have to remove you.
I apologize, I didn't read far enough back in the thread to realize that this game was already filled. I'm patient, though, so I'll wait for the next one.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Sixx Spades posted:

I apologize, I didn't read far enough back in the thread to realize that this game was already filled. I'm patient, though, so I'll wait for the next one.

Well, I kind of have a game open right now, if you wish to join it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Also, today on Koal's Questionable Decisions: Trying to steal a city from Sami when she has three full-health and one half-health infantry in range to put a stop to that.

• Locked thread