Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Fellis posted:

I don't think its a bad weapon upgraded, it just isn't good enough early to dedicate money and inventory space to and buying it just makes its terrible ammo drop more. It has great dps which is good for bosses

This basically, guns are just for kneecapping so you can suplex into knife slash

the tmp is for kneecapping 50 dudes a clip and for sequence breaking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
i'm playing re6 now and i sort of like how the qtes work but it's unintuitive at first

leon looks rough but he's still leon which means i expect good things

edit: god drat these controls are awful, there are a million buttons. breaking out the xbone pad

Doctor Goat fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Aug 14, 2014

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

darealkooky posted:

lol if you don't use TMP to set up melee hits and then kife dudes to save ammo for useful guns

the only gun i can't recommend is the mine thrower and that's just because you don't get enough ammo for it for it to be worth the inventory slot

it stuns people the same way the tmp does so you can boot them into crowds or hit a dude at the front of a crowd and have them be in the middle when it blows up

red9 gc is the best gun though

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
oh drat they did, i'm backwards and the red9 kicks even more rear end. luis sera has good taste.

i'm playing 6 and leon seems to have caught a little case of the palsy and i'm playing on veteran so the guns are shooting cotton balls and cerberuses are more deadly + annoying than ever. on the other hand, if you time it right, leon can just punch them out of the air.

leon has also gained the bulldog wrestling move and it's fast and fun, plus you can just melee everything. but the inventory sucks. every game should have re4's inventory, not the inventory from fuckin revelations

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
2 is really good too for being one of the classic games

leon B lets you get a shotgun that requires his whole weight to hold and blows dudes in half.

leon is in it. 2 is good. noticing a pattern here but i'm not very optimistic about 6

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
the striker is the best weapon, induces a hilarious bug, and has a drat 100 round clip. how can you not like that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_XapEJfvwc

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
i like using the ditman glitch and jumping off ladders and running around the sky, sometimes finding hidden treasure like homing mines and ada's weapons

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
dead space 3 is the sequel to re4

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

JethroMcB posted:

nah RE4 is all about feeling powerful - strong weapons and always being up on ammo, wrassle moves that can explode heads, playing as a cocky son of a bitch who spouts cheesy one-liners

Dead Space is all about feeling powerless - mediocre weapons with limited ammo, stomping downed enemies in a panic, a silent protagonist who only vocalizes when he's being murdered

Dead Space was good though, had its moments

By Dead Space 3 Isaac is too old for this poo poo, is swimming in ammo, and is building his own guns. which is why I'm saying it's the actual re4 successor

DS3 gives up on horror and embraces its action section. Also: The last time I played it multiplayer we found out the Contact Beam drops more universal ammo from enemies than it uses so you have an infinite ammo beam of death on Normal

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
DS2/DS3 get progressively more action and insane and Isaac stops being a silent protagonist in 2

the guns also get better even though i like 1's arsenal. you should play 2/3.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
6 seems like it's recaptured some of the crazy of 4 but it's kept some of the traits of 5

but it has the godawful inventory of revelations. 4 has the perfect UI. bring back my attache case.

also each team (chris', leon's, wesker's kid's, and ada) all have their own HUD which is cool. the timeline intersects for everyone which means jake's is the earliest and overlaps with the most i think

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
i think a big thing the series lost after 4 (it sort of comes back in revelations?) is being able to examine goddamn everything

i see things sitting around in 5/6 and go "whoa i wanna look at that" and the character's like "nope idc" where leon in 4 would have had a one liner or at least something to say about it

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Monkey Fracas posted:

like ok in 6 the mechanics are good and fun but the game is insistent on pushing you through a series of ever more contrived dumb action setpieces

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Mak0rz posted:

here's how long it should take someone to understand how to navigate an inventory menu, of all things: 0 seconds

here's how long it took me to understand how to navigate the inventory menu in re6: longer than that

kotaku posted:

Well, on the PS3, the quick combo is this: Triangle, X, X, X, X, Circle, R3, R3, R3. This opens the inventory, mashes two health items together, puts them in your health-pack slot, closes the inventory and then lets you consume the tablets. Press R3 six times if you've combined a green and a red.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
i don't think i've ever been low on ammo there, ever

what guns are you using

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
pick like 3 guns

use those 3 guns

if you have 50 guns ammo drops for all of them and you end up with not enough and you spread yourself too thin unless you own. this also applies to dead space

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

darealkooky posted:

this is really good advice to make the game way less fun

i carry tmp/fully loaded striker/red9/rifle w/ thermal scope/broken butterfly/black bass (L) usually.

if you're having ammo problems at that point in the game you need help though

more re6 stuff: whenever you converge on someone's path (sherry and leon's cross at one point) if you're playing co-op the game will detect if anyone's near there and match you up so it ends up temporarily being 4-player. crossover characters can do anything a normal teammate can do like reviving you or helping you get enemies off of you which is cool

enemy weak points are annoying. they're really not as bad as revelations where they don't make any sense but the new bastard mix of crimson head and hunter's chest is its weakness and it almost never exposes it, so there's no point. if it jumps at you and you QTE that fucker, it's an instant kill

the new enemy in the second country is the first enemy to make me feel the "oh poo poo" feeling from a game since the dogs in re4 the first time you run into them

there's also a multiplayer mode called Agent Hunt that's optional that lets people invade your games and control enemies like a bastard child of dark souls and l4d

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

JethroMcB posted:

true but why upgrade any weapon that's not the plasma cutter. every other weapon was just backup for when I ran of out plasma cutter ammo.

max upgraded contact beam kills the thing it's aimed at. there is no question. it is dead. carrying it also makes contact beam ammo drop that's worth a hells of lot of money.

max upgraded force gun can actually kill poo poo which is a feature the unupgraded one doesn't have and you can kind of roomba around a room and shoot into the resulting pile of dudes for a bit and they all die and probably give you more ammo than you used.

max upgraded pulse rifle kills most stuff in 3-4 bursts and each ammo drop is 25 shots so it's economical as hell

another re6 thing i reminded myself of there: there's a room w/ attack bomb roombas

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

The big thing was I had no idea that there was a QTE for using the knife on the back of the giant ogre guy. I honestly don't think I would have ever figured that out. I was actually trying to jump down from the rafter/upper platform thing and knife him on the way down :lol:

genuinely sad this isn't an option, that's leon as gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Jimbo Jaggins posted:

striker is the best shotgun simply for the 100 free shells when you fully upgrade it and the extra inventory space from the 100 sized clip

also whatever eye you get from the bugs depends what colour their eyes are when you kill them, they rarely turn blue

if the latter part is true it blows my mind, i don't think it's true though

striker is the best because of ditman and being able to just go wild with it.

• Locked thread