Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

naem posted:

No. Blood meridian is 100% incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Also The Crossing is actually his best book but no one ever reads it :shrug:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Cool Blue Reason posted:

The Counselor was good.

The Counselor is that sign that all old writers get that they are probably out of ideas and just spinning the wheels. It reads like McCarthy fan-fiction.

See: Garcia Marquez - Memories of my Melancholy Whores, Norman Mailer- Castle in the Forest, etc.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

zoux posted:

There's literally no reason not to use quotation marks.

creating a fluid style in which context, action, and dialog are all implicitly connected into a singular experience in which the very act of reading becomes an intellectual exercise in disentanglement?

u butthoel

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

zoux posted:

Yeah that's exactly my problem with it.

Here I found something more your speed

http://www.amazon.com/Go-Read-Dick-Jane/dp/0448434059/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1408047447&sr=8-1&keywords=dick+and+jane

*flicks cigarette to curve, drives off in motorcycle*

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Fandyien posted:

postmodernism ruined critical literary analysis

Go suck Northtrop Frye's structuralist dick

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

zoux posted:

No that's "Death of the Author" or am I just thinking of CD...

Bitch you better put on some gloves and meet me in the cage because I am about to CHOKE YOU OUT

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

zoux posted:

I've read Infinite Jest the whole way through so that's how strong my lit game is before you decide to step.

I didn't know they had that on CD you illiterate goblin

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Kumo posted:

no poo poo

hitler rise was guided by a demon!

i expect hell i anticipate this from dean koontz but not you norman not you

I feel like Norman Mailer should have just killed himself after The Executioner's Song like Mishima did after Decay of the Angel

"whelp, never gonna top this" *guts self*

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

zoux posted:

Oh here's a shitload of untranslated Spanish too because I don't think that art is a communicative form

hahaha u fukken bitch

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

zoux posted:

Oh here's a shitload of untranslated Spanish too because I don't think that art is a communicative form

Do you also get mad when people have sex in novels because it is also incomprehensible to you?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Jerry Mumphrey posted:

name a better book where a guy gets brained by a floor buffer in a bar fight and shits his pants. you can't.

My autobiography

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

GOD WHY THE HELL IS THIS GUY HAVING PEOPLE SPEAK SPANISH IN EL PASO - a literal walking piece of poo poo with googly eyes taped on

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Can we at least all agree Cities of the Plain was loving awful

God that book was poo poo

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Seriously that mother fucker read a 1100 page book with 200 pages of footnotes to fictional events and he is mad because some dude is all like "como te llamas" a few times

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

You are wrong but I forgive you

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

this_is_hard posted:

the ending to blood meridian is one of the best endings to any novel I've ever read

FORUM POLL: Did Judge rape the Kid?

A. Yes
B. No

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Its A. btw

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Kirk Johnson posted:

And another thing: actual medical psychology textbooks sometimes make mention of Joyce's Finnegan's Wake when talking about the nonsensical "word salad" high-level schizophrenics sometimes produce when you ask them to write poo poo down - basically, a lot of the book is indistinguishable from the ramblings of complete loving mentals. The verdict from literary critics? One of the best books of the last century. The same top class pretentio-wankery at its finest.

lol u so mad bout good books

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

It would be funny if Judge did absolutely nothing to Kid and everyone was so shocked when they opened it up because Kid ended up leaving a really gross spattershit on the floor

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

p. sure the judge was a symbolic manifestation of humanity's compulsion to violence hth

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Zoux, read Blindness by Jose Saramago

And then suck my dick

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

zoux posted:

I've read it.

Ok then start sucking

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Kirk Johnson posted:

It's indistinguishable from the nonsensical shite schizos write. This is what a medically trained professional will tell you. And assholes still pretend that it's a wonder of literature, mostly for the benefit of each other. Pretending you appreciate 700 pages of turgid shite that makes no sense or drug-addled drivel you'd need to be equally high to appreciate are shibboleths for pretentious literary dickheads, is what I'm saying. Gimme Joyce's letters about eating his wife's farts any day of the week instead.

I am sure you can find a couple Star Wars extended universe novels that might be more your speed you little bitch

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

If you wanna talk about massive obscure novels where weird poo poo happens you should check out Terra Nostra where it ends with the last man and woman on earth fingering each other in the butthole until they fuse together as a dickgirl

good book

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Madcosby posted:

Mel Mudkiper knows his literary poo poo so if he tells you to read something you best read it

this post is not a joke

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Also in Terra Nostra Queen Juana La Loca (gently caress you zoux) rides around in a cart filled with midgets while she fucks her dead husband's mummified penis

really good book

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

this_is_hard posted:

Faulkner owns, the sound and the fury is god tier

Caddie smelling like trees 24/7

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

a hole-y ghost posted:

i mean it's good but it's kind of written in a code for literary nerds who know English and a little bit of other languages to feel smart and good about themselves without actually having a good grasp of other languages. not saying anything against Joyce but that's what I think of most Finnegans Wake fans

well obviously

Its just funny that people get mad about that

As one dude said, its an elaborate literary exercise over what is essentially a "drunk Irishman" joke

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Basically what I am saying is that the Latin American Boom has some of the best literature ever

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

zoux posted:

Does Faulkner write like a normal human being or does he invert all his n's or some bullshit quirk that I'll hate?

He spends the first quarter of the book writing like a literal retard so it might hit too close to home for you

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

hope and vaseline posted:

I'm reading Borges' Collected Fictions and yes

Borges is kinda spergy though

He collected fictions are basically him going "Hey isn't this idea neat?" and then forgetting to add characters.

Julio Cortazar is pretty pimp tho

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

this_is_hard posted:

i cant believe james franco is actually making the sound and the fury in to a movie where he plays benjy

and seth rogen and danny mcbride are also in it.

he also tried making blood meridian in to a movie.

I would be ok with him making a blood meridian movie if he ends up getting raped to death

Not in the movie, just in general

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

someone needs to kill franco before he can get his hands on blood meridian.

also the only directors fit to make cormac mccarthy movies are the coen bros

I would watch Lars Von Trier do Blood Meridian

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be. I am talking to you, specifically, James Franco. No, wait, what are you doing. No, don't adapt my novels. No noooooo” - Kurt Vonnegut

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

or herzog would work

ffffffffuuuuccccckkkkk

Frostwerks posted:

its almost like an alejandro jodordowsky film

FFFFUUUUUUUCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKK

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Frostwerks posted:

is this a good gently caress or a bad gently caress i need to know

All fucks are good fucks if you just relax

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

JebanyPedal posted:

Alejandro Jodorowsky's Blood Meridian.

It hurts that it will never happen.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Kelfeftaf posted:

wait james franco already did a cormac mccarthy adaptation wtf

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Child_of_God_%28film%29

surprise it was really bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

A part of me wants to believe James Franco is secretly criticizing Pop Culture's icon worshipping by writing lovely books, making lovely movies, and putting on awful art shows and getting to do it only because he is famous. Like he is deliberately going to mangle one of American Literature's treasures for no other reason than no one will stop him because he is an actor.

Like Blood Meridian will just be unwatchably bad and when the lights come back on he will be like "you all let me do this"

• Locked thread