Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tupac holocron
Apr 23, 2008
The son of Maryam is about to descend amongst you as a correct ruler, he will break the cross and kill the pig!

dee eight posted:

heart of a dog

all of bulgakov's works are must-reads if you are really into the politics of subletting moscow apartments

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Gaiman always reads like an idea man, who then inexpertly tries to turn a gimmick idea into a book.

"Hey, like what if I took pagan gods, but made them more American?"
*Writes out an ending chapter and a couple interludes on this premise*
*Shits out 20 chapters of stream-of-conciousness with nothing happening*

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

NienNunb posted:

this book is real chill

Lmao OP

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.

ikanreed posted:

Gaiman always reads like an idea man, who then inexpertly tries to turn a gimmick idea into a book.

anansi boys was pretty good

ghost lady chapters can gently caress off though

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer
“Many people, meeting Aziraphale for the first time, formed three impressions: that he was English, that he was intelligent, and that he was gayer than a treeful of monkeys on nitrous oxide.”

I'm pretty sure Terry Pratchett wrote that bit.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

ikanreed posted:

in other words he's a genre fic writer

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
I looked him up. Lol, a fantasy writer. It must be hard to live up to the literary bar of geniuses like J.K. Rowling.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Pretty sure that naming one of the children "Wensleydale" was a Gaiman touch and that is funny as gently caress.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

icantfindaname posted:

in other words he's a genre fic writer

90% of everything is crap.

But sure, why not blame the loose category. No way any great literature is genre lit.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
ive read most of pratchett's books & none of gaiman's. tell me about myself

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Drink Cheerwine posted:

ive read most of pratchett's books & none of gaiman's. tell me about myself

you are twelve, but at least you're not a twelve year old who fancies themselves to be worldly and mature

Dr Strangepants
Nov 26, 2003

Mein Führer! I can dance!

ikanreed posted:

I've always enjoyed his short story stuff for this reason. I heard his new book was pretty good though?

Dude married Amanda Palmer, so there's something questionable about his decision making.

Kelfeftaf
Sep 9, 2011

ikanreed posted:

90% of everything is crap.

But sure, why not blame the loose category. No way any great literature is genre lit.

The problem people who read "great literature" have with most genre lit is that the fall-off in the quality of the prose is so great, that it's hard to take it seriously. I've checked out some of the stuff that has been praised in "The Book Barn," and a lot of it reads like self-published junk.

That said, I like Neal Stephenson, and George R.R. Martin is okay.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Gaiman is better at comic books than novels but he's not perfect there either (Marvel 1602 lol)

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Dr Strangepants posted:

Dude married Amanda Palmer, so there's something questionable about his decision making.

you don’t know how it felt to be in the womb but it must have been at least a little warmer than this.

you don’t know how intimately they’re recording your every move on closed-circuit cameras until you see your face reflected back at you through through the pulp.

you don’t know how to stop picking at your fingers.

you don’t know how little you’ve been paying attention until you look down at your legs again.

you don’t know how many times you can say you’re coming until they just stop believing you.

you don’t know how orgasmic the act of taking in a lungful of oxygen is until they hold your head under the water.

you don’t know how many vietnamese soft rolls to order.

you don’t know how convinced your parents were that having children would be, absolutely, without question, the correct thing to do.

you don’t know how precious your iphone battery time was until you’re hiding in the bottom of the boat.

you don’t know how to get away from your loving parents.

you don’t know how it’s possible to feel total compassion in one moment and total disconnection in the next moment.

you don’t know how things could change so incredibly fast.

you don’t know how to make something, but the instructions are on the internet.

you don’t know how to make sense of this massive parade.

you don’t know how to believe anyone anymore.

you don’t know how to tell the girl in the chair next to you that you’ve been peeking at her dissertation draft and there’s a grammatical typo in the actual file name.

you don’t know how to explain yourself.

you don’t want two percent but it’s all they have.

you don’t know how claustrophobic your house is until you can’t leave it.

you don’t know why you let that guy go without shooting him dead and stuffing him in some bushes between cambridge and watertown.

you don’t know where your friends went.

you don’t know how to dance but you give it a shot anyway.

you don’t know how your life managed to move twenty six miles forward and twenty eight miles back.

you don’t know how to pay your debts.

you don’t know how to separate from this partnership to escape and finally breathe.

you don’t know how come people run their goddamn knees into the ground anyway.

you don’t know how to measure the value of the twenty dollar bill clutched in your hurting hand.

you don’t know how you walked into this trap so obliviously.

you don’t know how to adjust the rearview mirror.

you don’t know how to mourn your dead brother.

you don’t know how to drive this car.

you don’t know the way to new york.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
I have this in my bookshelf, I might give it another read. I remember it being entertaining enough.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

scalded schlong posted:

i like how pratchett's latest books are depressingly bad attempts to wrap up a fantasy world, subsequently marring the joy i took in his earlier books

dudes brain is basically eating itself to the point where he cant even write anymore so he has to dictate it to someone who can

pretty sure everyone bought his last few books out of pity and a sense of obligation for all the fun times pratchett gave them back before his brain was swiss cheese

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

NienNunb posted:

Are these funny joke books with jokes about the apocalypse because they sound like they're not.

If you haven't read Pratchett's Thief of Time, I recommend it. It's about an apocalypse (of sorts) in his Discworld setting. The Matrix (among other things) gets parodied. My favorite line:

"He means," said War, "that he asked us all to think about whose side we're really on."

ZeroCount posted:

dudes brain is basically eating itself to the point where he cant even write anymore so he has to dictate it to someone who can

I'd heard it was his daughter, who also writes comedy-fantasy, but has her own style that most people don't like as much.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Kelfeftaf posted:

The problem people who read "great literature" have with most genre lit is that the fall-off in the quality of the prose is so great, that it's hard to take it seriously. I've checked out some of the stuff that has been praised in "The Book Barn," and a lot of it reads like self-published junk.

That said, I like Neal Stephenson, and George R.R. Martin is okay.

I read Snow Crash. I guess if you're way into pedophile fan fiction you might think that was a good book. From what I hear, same goes for that fat gently caress.

Satchel and Trunk
Nov 4, 2008
I don't care what the machine says, I never laid a hand on the guy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kelfeftaf
Sep 9, 2011
I liked Snow Crash a lot less than Quicksilver, Zodiac, and The Big U. I don't remember any pedophilia, but I read it a while ago. And yeah, Martin is a total creep, but the first three books of his Song of Ice and Fire series were all right.

• Locked thread