Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Got excited for a moment about a new Star Wars RPG. Then I realized it has the same stupid dice system as EotE and :commissar:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

jivjov posted:

Have you tried the narrative dice? They're super awesome in practice and I never want to go back to a system that doesn't support "advantageous failure" or "success with some despair" ever again.

Eh. Too annoying to use, and I hate not being able to play if I don't have my specific specialized dice available. Compare with Dungeon World, which can do the same thing via a d6.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
True, but the whole system just seems unnecessarily complicated. Like, I get how the skills --> upgrading dice system works. But it makes the character sheet a jumbled mess to look at. Combine it with having to keep track of dice symbols that aren't really intuitive of anything, and then remember "Oh ok I can spend this bonus to get this or this...." it just feels like systems for systems sake. As if a competent GM couldn't be empowered to do these things on their own, for instance.

-e- not trying to poo poo on this thread, it's just a beef I've had with the new system.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

jivjov posted:

All the core books have a conversion chart for using regular polyhedrals instead of the custom dice. And as Waffleman said, there's an app and several online dice rollers.

:lsd: I didn't know there was a conversion chart.

• Locked thread