Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
You might like this Papa Foss has been running this for a while and making top 16 pretty regularly

Chewbacca (TFA) (42)
Predator (3)
Rey (2)
C-3PO (3)
Glitterstim (2)
Smuggling Compartment (0)
Countermeasures (3)
Millennium Falcon (1)

Bandit Squadron Pilot (12)
Proton Rockets (3)
Guidance Chips (0)

Bandit Squadron Pilot (12)
Proton Rockets (3)
Guidance Chips (0)

Captain Rex (14)

Total: 100

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Seems neat. I assume Glitterstim is saved for a round when a friendly is going to be blown up, to maximize effectiveness?

Run the Z's in hot, blow the rockets on the biggest that, neuter it with Rex, clean up with Chewie? Fly past, build up more Focus go again.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Seems neat. I assume Glitterstim is saved for a round when a friendly is going to be blown up, to maximize effectiveness?

Run the Z's in hot, blow the rockets on the biggest that, neuter it with Rex, clean up with Chewie? Fly past, build up more Focus go again.

Saw one match where a harpoon took out 2 Z-95's and a glitter Chewie just wrecked the hell out of a list with 3 shots. It was beautiful.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IiCDvkDGTWaQuukvqkRrILDPNFEym2Cg/view?usp=sharing

Our local marshal put this together for the system open next week. I agree with all the rulings within.
edit:
The section on harpoon rulings is really good, and the harpooned condition is often misplayed or misunderstood, especially with TLT

canyoneer fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jan 19, 2018

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

canyoneer posted:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IiCDvkDGTWaQuukvqkRrILDPNFEym2Cg/view?usp=sharing

Our local marshal put this together for the system open next week. I agree with all the rulings within.
edit:
The section on harpoon rulings is really good, and the harpooned condition is often misplayed or misunderstood, especially with TLT

This appears to, largely, be the same as the unofficial FAQ announced for some other regional.

And, just like that one, it makes the decision (correctly, IMO) that launching and dropping a bomb are not the same thing. Then, just like that other one, makes an immediately contradictory ruling that you cannot drop a bomb AND launch a bomb in the same turn, despite the fact that the only rule against multiple bombs per round is for DROPPING them.

polynominal-c
Jan 18, 2003

I've flown all ships I own (which is everything), except for the G1-A, M12-L, U-Wing and B/SF. I really have no idea what to do with the U-Wing. Anybody having a list that includes a U-Wing, where the U-Wing is not just tacked on, but has a specific role? I do not really see what the point of that ship is.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Yeah it’s a weird ship.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

polynominal-c posted:

I've flown all ships I own (which is everything), except for the G1-A, M12-L, U-Wing and B/SF. I really have no idea what to do with the U-Wing. Anybody having a list that includes a U-Wing, where the U-Wing is not just tacked on, but has a specific role? I do not really see what the point of that ship is.

No. The U Wing is terrible.

Anywhere you would use it, you can use an Auzituck and it'll be better. It's SO disappointing.

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

canyoneer posted:

Zero basis for this in the rules as written
Stuff like this really annoys me. Making up bullshit rules ("substitutive effect") when one thinks something is too good. This precedent opens up a can of worms. Why wasn't this done when palp aces dominated the meta? Or triple jumps? Too my knowledge only a couple regionals have been won by this combo, far less than when the aforementioned combos were in their prime. Will this be done in the future now, whenever something is deemed OP?

And, too play the devils advocate: There is only one ship that can use this combination, and only one per squad, as the required title is unique. And to effectively use it you need both extra munitions, and two bombs equipped, making your ship cost around 50 points (assuming you also have TLT, which most seems to have). And with only one agility and no evade action, it's easily killed with some focus fire. Even if it can launch bombs after moving, it still has to set that manoeuvre without knowing where the enemy ships will end up, making it a gamble. So I honestly don't think that it is too good, the bigger problem (and what I think motivates this kind of ruling) is that it feels cheap when it's used against you.

I would much rather remove the turret slot from the Scurrg. Then it would remain a dangerous bomber, but without the extreme range control it now has.

uncle blog fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Jan 19, 2018

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

polynominal-c posted:

I didn't get around to play it yet, but what I want to try at some point is a U-Wing with FCS, Hera, Zeb and Ion Projectors.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

uncle blog posted:

Stuff like this really annoys me. Making up bullshit rules ("substitutive effect") when one thinks something is too good. This precedent opens up a can of worms. Why wasn't this done when palp aces dominated the meta? Or triple jumps? Too my knowledge only a couple regionals have been won by this combo, far less than when the aforementioned combos were in their prime. Will this be done in the future now, whenever something is deemed OP?

And, too play the devils advocate: There is only one ship that can use this combination, and only one per squad, as the required title is unique. And to effectively use it you need both extra munitions, and two bombs equipped, making your ship cost around 50 points (assuming you also have TLT, which most seems to have). And with only one agility and no evade action, it's easily killed with some focus fire. Even if it can launch bombs after moving, it still has to set that manoeuvre without knowing where the enemy ships will end up, making it a gamble. So I honestly don't think that it is too good, the bigger problem (and what I think motivates this kind of ruling) is that it feels cheap when it's used against you.

I would much rather remove the turret slot from the Scurrg. Then it would remain a dangerous bomber, but without the extreme range control it now has.

You drop the turret, it pretty much makes all the other scurrgs useless.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Panzeh posted:

Remove both slots from the Scurrg. Release new zero point titles that add either bomb to turret slot. Limit as appropriate?

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

Panzeh posted:

I've never even built for a Scurrg but errataing the title to remove the turret as well as the crew slot would mean you either have genius and Trajectory Simulator or TLT and Trajectory Simulator.

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

Panzeh posted:

I strongly disagree. They all still have 2 bomb slots, and both missile and torpedo, letting them carry Harpoons and Long-Range Scanners. Not to mention a crew slot. And a ton of health and 3 dice primary. You can make many strong builds with that foundation. Starting at 24 points I think that's pretty solid if you remove the turret.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

There's an Epic tournament tomorrow. I've never played Epic; some of the prizes are only available if you run an Epic ship. I've got this GR-75 Transport ship and I don't know how to build it.

The list I want to run is:

X-Wing: •Luke Skywalker (33)
Integrated Astromech (0)
Veteran Instincts (1)
•R2-D2 (4)

X-Wing: •Wes Janson (32)
Integrated Astromech (0)
Veteran Instincts (1)
•R3-A2 (2)

YT-1300: •Han Solo (61)
Smuggling Compartment (0)
Counter-Measures (3)
•Millennium Falcon (1)
Expertise (4)
•C-3PO (3)
•Rey (2)
Scavenger Crane (2)

X-Wing: •Wedge Antilles (34)
Integrated Astromech (0)
Expertise (4)
Flight-Assist Astromech (1)

YT-2400 Freighter: •Dash Rendar (58)
Engine Upgrade (4)
•Outrider (5)
Push the Limit (3)
Heavy Laser Cannon (7)
•Kanan Jarrus (3)

Y-Wing: •"Dutch" Vander (31)
Twin Laser Turret (6)
Targeting Astromech (2)

GR-75 Transport: GR-75 Transport (51)
Automated Protocols (5)
Construction Droid (3)
•Raymus Antilles (6)
Shield Projector (4)
Backup Shield Generator (3)

Total: 300/300

I just threw things together on the Transport to make it obnoxious. I also can tweak the rest of the list just fine, as I didn't know how many points the Transport was going to use. I'm thinking Wedge will get Expertise, at least.

Edit: Changed the list up. Made the transport cheaper to fit in Dutch.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jan 19, 2018

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
I agree with losing the turret from scurg and losing the missiles from Kwing. With so many optimal/undervalued secondary weapons at the moment, these Jack of all trades ships are just a no brainer. Also errata VI to say, you may only equip this card if your PS is 7 or lower.

So many fixes...

But seriously lol at "just kill nym with focus fire" you obviously haven't faced a competent person with the list. Our resident "5 bombers with unguided missiles" who has lots of reps and good finishes with the squad. It was probably one of the best pure jousting list in the game. Has faced NymRanda twice both times vs a player using it for the first time and both times lost 0-100. If you stay in formation and joust to ensure focus fire, bombs will destroy your list. When you joust, he throws a bomb ahead the turn before the engage and pins it, breaking up your attack lane, if you don't turn out now you're taking 2 bombs + Sabine. If you spread out, he has superior range control and can run and pick you off with TLT. Like Dengaroo, it's pure efficiency with very little risk or tough decisions on behalf of the user of the list, just roll up to the fight, do a bunch of autodamage and fire extremely accurate ordnance.

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

hoiyes posted:

Also errata VI to say, you may only equip this card if your PS is 7 or lower.
Agreed.

hoiyes posted:

But seriously lol at "just kill nym with focus fire" you obviously haven't faced a competent person with the list. Our resident "5 bombers with unguided missiles" who has lots of reps and good finishes with the squad. It was probably one of the best pure jousting list in the game. Has faced NymRanda twice both times vs a player using it for the first time and both times lost 0-100. If you stay in formation and joust to ensure focus fire, bombs will destroy your list. When you joust, he throws a bomb ahead the turn before the engage and pins it, breaking up your attack lane, if you don't turn out now you're taking 2 bombs + Sabine. If you spread out, he has superior range control and can run and pick you off with TLT. Like Dengaroo, it's pure efficiency with very little risk or tough decisions on behalf of the user of the list, just roll up to the fight, do a bunch of autodamage and fire extremely accurate ordnance.
You don't joust Trajectory Nym, that's suicide. Engage from different sides, ideally from behind at a decent range, so that neither a dropped bomb, or one from tallon + Trajectory Simulator will hit you. Also give it several possible targets, so that the bomb will at most hit one of your ships. Then focus fire before disengaging, to avoid bombs the the next round, and restart the engagement.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
How about this, and I have no idea if it's feasible, but: absolutely no autodamage in the game. The only way to 'damage' is to roll an attack, and different effects either add attack dice, remove defense dice, or modify dice.

Then, make the different types or ordinance only usable on certain targets. Torpedoes: cannot target small ships. Missiles: cannot target large ships. Bombs: have one or the other, depending on what they're designed to do. Same with turrets, maybe, but do it differently. You've got your flak turrets that are designed to keep enemy fighters off of you; large base ships roll two extra defense dice. You've got your larger cannon that are designed to smash large ships; small base ships roll two extra defense dice.

Maybe some ships have the option to switch out munitions. "This ship has one missile launcher, but three magazines. When you deploy, plays your 'loaded' token on one missile upgrade card; this is the missile you can use. ACTION: switch your 'loaded' token to another missile upgrade card you have equipped.'

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

uncle blog posted:

Agreed.

You don't joust Trajectory Nym, that's suicide. Engage from different sides, ideally from behind at a decent range, so that neither a dropped bomb, or one from tallon + Trajectory Simulator will hit you. Also give it several possible targets, so that the bomb will at most hit one of your ships. Then focus fire before disengaging, to avoid bombs the the next round, and restart the engagement.
Yeah, I mean on paper, attacking from several directions is how you'd do it, but in practice, with the asteroid field, it is trivial for Nym to turn in and launch a bomb to block a lane, or catch the flanking ship and destroy it. Not even mentioning the difficulty of ensuring spread out ships arriving at an engagement at the same time. Also, if you deploy spread out, then MirandaNym can start by going 4 forwards and wrecking one of your ships before the game even starts.

The problem is not that there's no counter. It's that the counterplay requires much more skill, taking more risks and tough decisions compared to the fly-by-flowchart NymRanda.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

It's both obscenely good and insanely frustrating to fly against with anything that doesn't hard counter it. It's impossible to approach without turrets of your own, functionally. Unless you flank it from 3 sides at once, one of your ships will be getting proton bombed at the very minimum, quite likly one gets proton bombed and double harpooned, and another gets bombletted and Sabined.

It has counters (RAC with Palp, Kylo crew and something, basically) but not many and the ones that do exist are mostly hamstrung by the rest of the meta, and still risky.

The K Wing and the Scurrg both just have WAY too many slots and options for building them. Both Nym and Miranda can both accomplish all three of the primary pillars of the original game in and of themselves - arc dodging, jousting, and turret, and they both add bombs on top of that, AND Miranda has regen AND they're both 50 point fortresses.

Something needs to be done to fix it, and Alex has implied that there's an FAQ coming soon. Maybe today?

It's beatable if the player running it screws up or you're using a hard counter list (Basically RAC/Lo, maybe fat Han, maybe fat Chewie), but otherwise it's a miserable experience. Even some of the people who play it don't particularly enjoy doing so.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
People don't even mention the very underrated Miranda two-hard cluster drop that's just the icing on the cake.

Where did Alex suggest a FAQ today?

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
I'm not sure who this Alex is. It's not Alex Davey if that's what people are thinking.

Edit: XWing slack channel says he's the European Organised Play manager.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

canyonero fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jan 19, 2018

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Yeah, that's what Google says too.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

My uncle works at Nintendo and I already got to play the new FAQ

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
I agree that the NymMiranda combo covers way too much of the spectrum for combat vs how it’ll perform against the other pillars. Can’t get too close, can’t be too far, and on top of that has to be able to constantly push through damage to make sure Miranda doesn’t regen too much, and to take Nym off the board since it doesn’t follow the half health rule.

Last night I played two TIE/Ds with a Striker blocker/flanker against a 3 Lok Revenant list that had concussion missiles with guidance chips, deadeye, and EM. While initially scary since the Scurgg list can potentially fire off 6 missiles with inherent modifications, and also having a 3 dice primary, I was able to take risks to ionize them and set up favorable moves. I actually had Snap Shot on both my Defenders, and if I placed them right, it’d trigger a few times.

During that match my opponent remarked that if he had bombs and a turret it’d be different, and I agree. With no arc to worry about, he would just have to fly in a general area, while I’d have to work and find the right approach to not get bombed or turreted.

In my opinion, either Nym needs his EPT off, or the Scurgg needs an adjustment to its loadout. It should pick between loading bombs and missiles, or turret and missiles only. Being able to carry all three makes it incredibly viable for all engagements with the only downside is just a 1 dice defense.

My thought of Miranda is that her regen should only come off of her primary attacks, not turrets.

Arcs should matter a lot more, it’s frustrating to either be in arc, be in range, or be in bomb range despite barrel rolling or boosting. I know there’s a map that shows the potential bomb drops of the NymMiranda list and it’s scary, then add in the possibility of getting shot regardless by a turret or missile.

Carolina Krayts even mentioned it on their podcast for their own tournament that they’re not allowing TrajSim and Genius because it would have led to literally only 3 lists being played and no one wants to do it because it wouldn’t be fun, but just necessary to win.

I’m in a league now and we have achievements that can earn you points where you can certainly in the end, tip the points to your favor for running 4+ ships, or all genetics, a list that’s less than 90 points, etc. it was clearly geared to diversify everyone’s lists and it’s been showing well.

Ok, that’s my rant.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Ringo Star Get posted:

I agree that the NymMiranda combo covers way too much of the spectrum for combat vs how it’ll perform against the other pillars. Can’t get too close, can’t be too far, and on top of that has to be able to constantly push through damage to make sure Miranda doesn’t regen too much, and to take Nym off the board since it doesn’t follow the half health rule.

Last night I played two TIE/Ds with a Striker blocker/flanker against a 3 Lok Revenant list that had concussion missiles with guidance chips, deadeye, and EM. While initially scary since the Scurgg list can potentially fire off 6 missiles with inherent modifications, and also having a 3 dice primary, I was able to take risks to ionize them and set up favorable moves. I actually had Snap Shot on both my Defenders, and if I placed them right, it’d trigger a few times.

During that match my opponent remarked that if he had bombs and a turret it’d be different, and I agree. With no arc to worry about, he would just have to fly in a general area, while I’d have to work and find the right approach to not get bombed or turreted.

In my opinion, either Nym needs his EPT off, or the Scurgg needs an adjustment to its loadout. It should pick between loading bombs and missiles, or turret and missiles only. Being able to carry all three makes it incredibly viable for all engagements with the only downside is just a 1 dice defense.

My thought of Miranda is that her regen should only come off of her primary attacks, not turrets.

Arcs should matter a lot more, it’s frustrating to either be in arc, be in range, or be in bomb range despite barrel rolling or boosting. I know there’s a map that shows the potential bomb drops of the NymMiranda list and it’s scary, then add in the possibility of getting shot regardless by a turret or missile.

Carolina Krayts even mentioned it on their podcast for their own tournament that they’re not allowing TrajSim and Genius because it would have led to literally only 3 lists being played and no one wants to do it because it wouldn’t be fun, but just necessary to win.

I’m in a league now and we have achievements that can earn you points where you can certainly in the end, tip the points to your favor for running 4+ ships, or all genetics, a list that’s less than 90 points, etc. it was clearly geared to diversify everyone’s lists and it’s been showing well.

Ok, that’s my rant.

Changing Miranda like that would just remove her from the game

remove Nym's turret slot and errata genius and the list is back to just OK instead of bonkers

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Dire times indeed when I'm in total agreement with alg

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
I agree with the Nym changes and if you want to give Miranda a nerf then just finally loving nerf Sabine. That ability is just pure bullshit for the point value.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Give Sabine the Palp treatment, so she has to be within Range 1 of the bomb token. Still great for clusters, less great for bomblet. Easy peasy.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
Just have her be a 1 time use, where you keep the added bomb slot even when she is flipped. 2 Points to add a bomb slot and an auto damage is fine, even though the X-Wing community will do what its best at and knee-jerk the gently caress out and never use her again. Which is fine, because auto damage with no range limit is loving stupid. Auto damage is loving stupid, also.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Sabine: once per round if no damage is taken after rolling bomb damage dice, you may assign 1 damage to a ship within range one of the bomb

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

uncle blog posted:

I strongly disagree. They all still have 2 bomb slots, and both missile and torpedo, letting them carry Harpoons and Long-Range Scanners. Not to mention a crew slot. And a ton of health and 3 dice primary. You can make many strong builds with that foundation. Starting at 24 points I think that's pretty solid if you remove the turret.

Basically, the way the game is, a 24 point 3 attack ship, even with the hp, is below the curve, even if you took out the most egregious builds. To trick it out for effective ordnance use makes it cost too much, and the ship just isn't that flexible in the first place- the good ordnance boats have something to do when they're not shooting missiles or are cheap.. like 22 point nu-harpoon/LRS cheap.

I wouldn't mind seeing havoc remove the turret slot though. That seems like an appropriately targeted fix- I don't think anybody was complaining about the 3x cruise/TLT scurrgs or the 2x harpoon/TLT + 1 bumpmaster builds, it's basically the big nyms who drop bombs in your face.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Honestly, the biggest issue isn';t the TLT it's the ablity to decide between 35 positions you can put your bomb (before the dial) or 4 positions (after) with near-perfect information. And still joust better than more or less anything int he game with Harpoons and LRS.

As ever with Miranda involved,, there's no one thing that you can fix that makes her better, because she's SO drat flexible that she just changes to a different build and keeps right on trucking. Same thing is true of Nym.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
And that a launched bomblet with Sabine, hits a 2 agility ship slightly harder than a fully modded harpoon, assuming they have a focus, and hits a 3 agility ship considerably harder.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

hoiyes posted:

And that a launched bomblet with Sabine, hits a 2 agility ship slightly harder than a fully modded harpoon, assuming they have a focus, and hits a 3 agility ship considerably harder.

Most versions of the list launch Protons, not Bomblets.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

lol Scum and Villainy podcast is a bunch of morons.

They later walked back the language of it, but cmon. A judge's job isn't to create new rules to change the meta, it's to ensure that the (often dumb) rules of the game are applied correctly in a tournament.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Yeah, their emergency podcast or whatever was just lol

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

There's nothing not hilarious about the phrase "emergency podcast"

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Trip report..... lists with 3 gunboats and QuickDraw are loving miserable to play against. I hate slam. I really loving hate nearly killing 3 of them after getting QD and they run away for 30 min

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

People still listen to S&Vs podcast? People listen to any of the xwing podcasts?

• Locked thread