Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I have no idea how to play Epic still but this is the list I'm taking today, unless someone spots a major problem. I think the tournament will be mostly chill.

X-Wing: •Luke Skywalker (33)
Integrated Astromech (0)
Veteran Instincts (1)
•R2-D2 (4)

X-Wing: •Wes Janson (32)
Integrated Astromech (0)
Veteran Instincts (1)
•R3-A2 (2)

YT-1300: •Han Solo (61)
Smuggling Compartment (0)
Counter-Measures (3)
•Millennium Falcon (1)
Expertise (4)
•C-3PO (3)
•Rey (2)
Scavenger Crane (2)

X-Wing: •Wedge Antilles (34)
Integrated Astromech (0)
Expertise (4)
Flight-Assist Astromech (1)

YT-2400 Freighter: •Dash Rendar (58)
Engine Upgrade (4)
•Outrider (5)
Push the Limit (3)
Heavy Laser Cannon (7)
•Kanan Jarrus (3)

Y-Wing: •"Dutch" Vander (31)
Twin Laser Turret (6)
Targeting Astromech (2)

GR-75 Transport: GR-75 Transport (51)
•Bright Hope (5)
WED-15 Repair Droid (2)
•Toryn Farr (6)
Backup Shield Generator (3)
Tibanna Gas Supplies (4)
Expanded Cargo Hold (1)

Total: 300/300

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

With Epic, pilot wise, you want quantity over quality I find

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

While I'm sure that's true, I have little interest in babysitting a bunch of generics, and lots of interest in running those pilots together :v:

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

bunnyofdoom posted:

With Epic, pilot wise, you want to not play at all.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

While also true, I want to support this X-wing stuff the new store is promoting; the store we left behind is a garbage heap and no one wants to go back.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I prefer Epic when it's a bunch of aces rather than a bunch of generics, if simply because it doesn't take as long.

Biggest/easiest rule to miss for epic setup is asteroid placement. You place two rocks at once. Put one down, then the other must be entirely within range 1 of the first

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

Epic is plenty fun.

Hux on the upsilon did some work on that match.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Friction posted:

Epic is plenty fun.

Hux on the upsilon did some work on that match.

He's a focus factory on that, and throwing out a hit that can't be evaded away is always nice too :getin:

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

Icon Of Sin posted:

He's a focus factory on that, and throwing out a hit that can't be evaded away is always nice too :getin:

Upsilon had Pattern Analyzer too. Stop move & Hux into double stress which gets cleared by Gozanti's Comms Booster.. Very nasty.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

But what ships were using the gozanti's docking clamp

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

bunnyofdoom posted:

But what ships were using the gozanti's docking clamp

None. Suppressor title, not much point using clamps there.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
YT-1300: •Rey (61)
Smuggling Compartment (0)
Counter-Measures (3)
•Millennium Falcon (HotR) (1)
Crack Shot (1)
Harpoon Missiles (4)
•Finn (5)
Scavenger Crane (2)

B/SF-17 Bomber: •Crimson Leader (39)
Crossfire Formation (2)
Trajectory Simulator (1)
Ordnance Silos (2)
Thermal Detonators (3)
Advanced Optics (2)

Total: 100/100

I've been having fun woth 2 T-70s and a Bomber so I'm brainstorming some variations on a Crossfire list with the Falcon. I think this is the best I can do with my current collection. I dunno, I'm not completely sure on it.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Crack shot is a weird choice on Rey. Usually she wants Expertise or VI. And the missiles are also odd; if you're shooting out of your primary arc, you're getting 4 dice anyway (with Finn). Finn only works on primary weapons.

Do you have Kanan crew? He's great with the new title because he lets you do the sloop and clear the stress.

I can't speak about the bomber's loadout. I've never used one or even faced one.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

ConfusedUs posted:

Crack shot is a weird choice on Rey. Usually she wants Expertise or VI. And the missiles are also odd; if you're shooting out of your primary arc, you're getting 4 dice anyway (with Finn). Finn only works on primary weapons.

Do you have Kanan crew? He's great with the new title because he lets you do the sloop and clear the stress.

I can't speak about the bomber's loadout. I've never used one or even faced one.

Yeah, Expertise, VI and Kanan are all things I'm planning on grabbing at some point soon.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Started playing this game a few weeks ago and it owns. Quick rules clarification though.

My opponent has no shields and three hull left, and after evades have been accounted for, I scored two hits and a critical hit. My opponent takes two facedown damage cards and one face-up (the critical effect was something along the lines of "your rudder is shot out; all 90-degree turns count as red maneuvers for you"). The face-up card did not mention anything about being flipped over, which we agreed would count as the third piece of damage and kill him if that happened.

Were we completely wrong and should he have been destroyed outright? This rule seems fairly obvious:

quote:

If a ship has a number of Damage cards equal to its hull value, it is destroyed.

But this one seemed to imply that that faceup card, unless it specifically says it deals damage, does no damage.

quote:

If a Damage card is flipped faceup, it is not treated as being dealt. Flipping a Damage card faceup does not trigger abilities related to dealing a Damage card.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

He would have been destroyed. A crit still counts as a point of damage.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

ninjahedgehog posted:

Started playing this game a few weeks ago and it owns. Quick rules clarification though.

My opponent has no shields and three hull left, and after evades have been accounted for, I scored two hits and a critical hit. My opponent takes two facedown damage cards and one face-up (the critical effect was something along the lines of "your rudder is shot out; all 90-degree turns count as red maneuvers for you"). The face-up card did not mention anything about being flipped over, which we agreed would count as the third piece of damage and kill him if that happened.

Were we completely wrong and should he have been destroyed outright? This rule seems fairly obvious:

But this one seemed to imply that that faceup card, unless it specifically says it deals damage, does no damage.

No, damage cards are always damage.

The second thing you quoted refers to certain upgrades that will flip already dealt cards(pilot ability for TIE defender pilot Rexler Brath as an example)

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

ninjahedgehog posted:

Scoring a critical hit is different from flipping an existing damage card faceup, which is what the text alludes to when it says "flipped". The number of damage cards on the ship card is the amount of hull points the ship has lost.

What that text actually means is that the flipped up card does not constitute the ship "suffering damage", which triggers some card effects.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
It’s still 3 damage cards, so it was curtains for that ship

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

What the second rule is talking about is pilot abilities that says "flip a facedown Damage card faceup." That would not count and being dealt a new Damage card.

You still count every Damage card that's dealt, so the ship would have been destroyed.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

canyoneer posted:

No, damage cards are always damage.

The second thing you quoted refers to certain upgrades that will flip already dealt cards(pilot ability for TIE defender pilot Rexler Brath as an example)

Ah, gotcha. Time for a rematch then: we also didn't realize that you need two ion tokens for a large ship to suffer actual ionization, which caused my loaded-up Rey to fly directly off the game board. :argh:

Thanks for the help, guys!

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Strobe posted:

What that text actually means is that the flipped up card does not constitute the ship "suffering damage", which triggers some card effects.

Its mostly clearing up the fact that Chewie's (and Leebo's) pilot ability (which has the specific wording "when dealt a face up damage card" doesn't work with abilities that flip facedown damage cards already assigned to your ship e.g. R2d2 crew, Saboteur crew, Rexler Brath and Colzet pilots.

Basically a bunch of stuff noone uses anymore, and in the case of Saboteur, never used.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

This is a really interesting discussion! I can see how it could be confusing from a newbie's point of view. This really comes down to how the game handles a bunch of edge cases related to "suffering" damage and being "dealt" damage cards.

When a ship is defending from an attack, any <hit> or <crit> symbols that are left after evades are "suffered" as damage. In your example, the ship would suffer two normal damage and one critical damage. When suffering damage, shields are *always* removed first. In the absence of shields, damage cards are "dealt." So the ship without shields would receive two face-down damage cards (hits) and one face-up damage card (crit).

ALL damage cards count against the ship regardless of if they're face-up or face-down. The ship is destroyed when the number of damage cards is equal to the hull value of the ship. This all gets complicated when you start adding in edge cases from assorted upgrade cards.

Example: Saboteur. This upgrade can force a ship to flip one of its damage cards face-up and resolve its effects. There's no additional damage card "dealt" here. The card had to already exist from a previous effect.

Example 2: Proton bombs. This upgrade can force a ship to be dealt one face-up damage card. Note that this is NOT the result of an attack and is NOT a "suffer" damage effect. It deals the card directly to the ship, even under shields.

Example 3: Leebo (pilot on the YT2400). When Leebo is "dealt" a face-up damage card, he draws an extra one and picks which to keep. This does trigger off the Proton bomb above, or if a critical damage gets past shields.

Example 4: Chewbacca (YT1300 pilot). When Chewie is dealt a face-up damage card, he flips it face down immediately without resolving its effects. This does trigger off the Proton bomb, but would NOT trigger off Saboteur, because Saboteur does not deal a damage card. This means Chewie is not truly *immune* to crits, just very resistant to them.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Also, goddamn, if there's ever an X-Wing 2.0 they'd better come up with a lexicon of terms and keywords on Day One, just so there aren't so many goddamned edge cases.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I've been playing the game since like 2014 and it's finally starting to be too much of a pain in the rear end to remember how all those edges work.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

overdesigned posted:

I've been playing the game since like 2014 and it's finally starting to be too much of a pain in the rear end to remember how all those edges work.

The good news is that, in any given Serious Business metagame, the relevant edge cases are fairly limited. Like right now where Proton Bombs are in, you'd definitely want to know the difference between "suffering" and "being dealt" damage.

But in casual games, who cares? You either have time to look it up, or the stakes are so low you can just go with something.

EnjoiThePureTrip
Apr 16, 2011

Friend of mine flew this today:

Rebel Regen 2018 (100)

•Lowhhrick (30) - Auzituck Gunship
Selflessness (1), Wookiee Commandos (1)

•Poe Dameron (41) - T-70 X-Wing
Veteran Instincts (1), •R2-D2 (4), Advanced Optics (2), •Black One (1), Autothrusters (2)

Gold Squadron Pilot (29) - Y-Wing
Twin Laser Turret (6), Extra Munitions (2), Bomb Loadout (0), •"Chopper" (1), BTL-A4 Y-wing (0), Guidance Chips (0), Seismic Charges (2)

Holy crap can this just outlast other lists. He was flying against another friend’s Timewalk Asajj/Bossk who just could not get any damage to stick. I’m surprised I haven’t seen anything similar at any of the recent Regionals. Or have I just not been paying enough attention?

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Top 2 squads at Champs today of 30 people. Nym Miranda, 3rd Squad 4 wookies. :crossarms:

Glad I stayed in the middle tables playing some great games of Xwing with non-meta squads. Game is still cool and good.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

ninjahedgehog posted:

Ah, gotcha. Time for a rematch then: we also didn't realize that you need two ion tokens for a large ship to suffer actual ionization, which caused my loaded-up Rey to fly directly off the game board. :argh:

Thanks for the help, guys!

Had the rematch: came, saw, conquered.

We had another question though: My Falcon had Rey, Finn, and a gunner. If I completely miss my first attack, and the gunner lets me shoot again, am I correct that the second shot still gets Rey and Finn's bonuses? They poo poo all over Night Beast, because the first attack stripped his evade and focus and the gunner could let them immediately follow up immediately on a defenseless target. Dark Curse was annoying as gently caress though because I couldn't reroll anything.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

ninjahedgehog posted:

Had the rematch: came, saw, conquered.

We had another question though: My Falcon had Rey, Finn, and a gunner. If I completely miss my first attack, and the gunner lets me shoot again, am I correct that the second shot still gets Rey and Finn's bonuses? They poo poo all over Night Beast, because the first attack stripped his evade and focus and the gunner could let them immediately follow up immediately on a defenseless target. Dark Curse was annoying as gently caress though because I couldn't reroll anything.

Correct. Unless an ability says "once per round/game/attack" or similar, you get it on every attack. Just keep in mind that some upgrades, like Finn, only work on primary weapons. He wouldn't do any good on a ship using a turret secondary (like Twin Laser Turret) or a cannon (like Heavy Laser Cannon).

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Correct. Unless an ability says "once per round/game/attack" or similar, you get it on every attack. Just keep in mind that some upgrades, like Finn, only work on primary weapons. He wouldn't do any good on a ship using a turret secondary (like Twin Laser Turret) or a cannon (like Heavy Laser Cannon).

Awesome, thanks. Is Finn any good with pilots other than Rey? Their abilities synergize so freaking well.

Thinking about it more, it's a really cool abstraction of that scene on Jakku: Finn's gun is jammed (roll a blank) but Rey swings the Falcon around juuuust right for him to dunk on the TIEs (roll that blank).

EDIT: Anything with Target Lock, I guess.

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jan 22, 2018

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

ninjahedgehog posted:

Awesome, thanks. Is Finn any good with pilots other than Rey? Their abilities synergize so freaking well.

Thinking about it more, it's a really cool abstraction of that scene on Jakku: Finn's gun is jammed (roll a blank) but Rey swings the Falcon around juuuust right for him to dunk on the TIEs (roll that blank).

EDIT: Anything with Target Lock, I guess.

He can go well with the old Han (not Heroes of the Resistance), or anyone toting Predator. Really he can be put on any of the large rebel ships with varying degrees of effectiveness, but I think he shines best with Rey.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Icon Of Sin posted:

He can go well with the old Han (not Heroes of the Resistance)

Shouldn't the HotR one be Old Han?

I kid, I kid

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

Onyx Summer Slam report.

We had 60 ish players. Most of the cream of the crop of Aussie players. 12 Nym/Miranda lists. 4 made top 16 for day two. Two made top 8. A lot of people were ready for it. Quite a few matches Nym/Miranda was murdered in 5 turns. A couple tabled it in 3 turns.

This list won it all. Undefeated over 2 days. Amazing, just amazing

Dash Rendar (36)
Lone Wolf (2)
Ion Cannon (3)
Rey (2)
Engine Upgrade (4)
Outrider (5)

Corran Horn (35)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Fire-Control System (2)
R2-D2 (4)
Engine Upgrade (4)

Total: 98

[url=https://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f=Rebel%20Alliance&d=v4!s!95:98,22,-1,201:14:3:;75:27,36,-1,3:-1:3:&sn=New%20Squadron&obs=]View in Yet Another Squad Builder[/url]

Everyone who said 3x Tie/D defenders were doomed was right. Did not face Nym/ Miranda all day. Seemed I was destined to face 3x Harpoon Boats and QD most of the day. Did not matter if I called the first engagment right. They could just slam out and go to set up for another run If they landed at range 1. Had one game where a single shot wasn't fired for 9 turns. Every game ended with 2 or 3 Gunboats running away with 1 or 2 hull. So painful. So drat painful.

World Cup 5 on day 2 I ran Dengar/Assaj and went 3/2 I had to concede to take care of some stuff. Would not have made top table even if I had won that one since the list bleeds MOV. My loss was honestly hilarious. Standard Kylo Silencer and Vader with a 13 point bid. Game ended with Kylo on 2 hull and Vader on 1.

Ate harpoons lists like it was a tasty meal. Had one game against scum harpoon list where Assaj caused half his list to bump for 3 turns while Dengar tore through the list with K4/Expertise. Never seen someone get so mad at losing a game. I'll rant on the net, he was losing it in the shop. Felt good since he had gone 100-0 in his first 2 games and told "apologized in advance" for what his list would do to me.

The winner was Vernon who is the nicest guy in Aussie X-wing. Undefeated all day. He flew this.

"Zeb" Orrelios (18)
"Chopper" (0)
Phantom (0)

Kanan Jarrus (38)
Fire-Control System (2)
Twin Laser Turret (6)
Rey (2)
Finn (5)
Countermeasures (3)
Ghost (0)

Ezra Bridger (Sheathipede) (17)
A Score to Settle (0)
Gunner (5)
R3-A2 (2)
Pulsed Ray Shield (2)

Total: 100

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

Now the all-important loot haul.

Also a Shethipede shuttle. If Aussies are ever free and can get to it I can not recommend Onyx Squad events enough. Top players always go and say there is tougher competition than regionals and you will learn a lot. Great people and usually tons of loot.

Raged fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jan 22, 2018

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I nearly did a spit-take seeing Ion cannon Dash. That's one way to shut down bombs!

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

canyoneer posted:

I nearly did a spit-take seeing Ion cannon Dash. That's one way to shut down bombs!

Brad worked that list so drat hard. His range control was out of this world and his timing with Corran diving in..... gently caress he played it so well.

Tequila Ranger
Sep 11, 2004

host after host after host ...

ninjahedgehog posted:

Shouldn't the HotR one be Old Han?

"Old, Young Han" *OR* "New, Old Han"

Whats so confusing about that?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Tequila Ranger posted:

"Old, Young Han" *OR* "New, Old Han"

Whats so confusing about that?

This new/old stuff is stupid.

There's only Han Solo and his counterpart, Han Yolo.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Han Solo and Han Rolo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

I was thinking about making some alt art upgrade cards to hand out to fun opponents after matches. Does anyone know where I can find the template for cards like FFG's alt art upgrade? All of the ones I have found are the bog standard upgrade card. I want something like you would find on the alt C3PO.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

• Locked thread