Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
I want to use a Tie Defender.

How do I use a Tie Defender?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

KO Derf posted:

You can use a Biophysicals Defender list:
Rexler Brath
- Predator, HLC, Ion Missile, Hull - 53 points
Colonel Vessery
- Lone Wolf, HLC, Stealth Device - 47 points
Hits hard but is very difficult to run.

Or the classic "Jonus Brothers" list.
Delta x2 with HLC
Captain Jonus, with your choice of upgrade

Otherwise
The better pilot is Vessery, who requires someone else to TargetLock the ship he is going to shoot.
So you can obtain it via mini-swarms of TIE/fos, a Decimator with Weapons Engineer, Lambda Shuttle with title, maybe bombers.

Honestly, just do as everyone else is saying and proxy the new Imp Veterans upgrades.

That sounds solid, thanke

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
It's pretty fr*cked up that they don't sell card packs or something.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

thespaceinvader posted:

If by pretty hosed up you mean 'a proven effective business model' yes.

There's a good reason they don't sell card packs, and it's not just that they're theoretically not allowed or something - it's that it makes them very good money to sell you ships you don't need in order to get cards you do, which then tempts you to get more ships you don't need in order to get the cards to run the previous set etc etc etc.

I'm thinking about going all in on Scum when Dengar comes out, my boss promised me a small bonus at work and spending it on the YV, Most Wanted, and a Khiraxz (plus a Starviper if I can get one) will give me good list potential when Dengar drops.

Just because it makes money doesn't mean that I have to like it.

Speaking of which, how often do they reprint old sets and ships? There's a few that I have my eye on that seem to be a pain in the rear end to actually get.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Deviant posted:

Is it legal to tractor beam your own stuff, and is there any reason you'd want to?

Free barrel roll?

Tractor beams seem pretty loving handy

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
There should be a Scum vs Villainy core set

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Foolster41 posted:

I agree, also there should be two factions in a starter really, and rebel vs. imp makes sense, but who do you put against scum? They are a little bit of a third wheel in this respect,. (a cool third wheel, but still)

I got excited and already bought 1,000 points of ships for the fleet for the empire for this galactic campaign i'm running. (That can buy you a lot of ships!).
I'm sitting in the center of the galaxy, ready to get squashed.

Scum vs Villainy duh

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Tekopo posted:

VESSERY OUTMANEUVER BUDDIES
This is an hilarious list

100 points

PILOTS

Colonel Vessery (40)
TIE Defender (35), Tractor beam (1), Outmaneuver (3), TIE/D (0), Twin Ion Engine Mk. II (1)

Omega Squadron Pilot (20) x 3
TIE/fo Fighter (17), Outmaneuver (3)

This isn't an amazing list but reducing two AG down to 0 and 3 AG down to 1 is pretty hilarious, especially when you can setup the outmaneuver shots with the Tractor Beam :q:

Oh man, that sounds great

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

alg posted:

They really should have just been range 1. In the fluff they are very short range. A 1 point 3 range secondary weapon that gets another shot against - 1 defense die is a little much. We'll see how it shakes out.

The EU is non-canon and bad so tractor beams can have as big of a range as they want

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

alg posted:

X-Wing is not a game dependent on canon.

So it's not beholden to tractor beams being short range, so my point still stands.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

nilstryfe posted:

The TIE /fo is a TIE fighter(/ln), but TIE Advanced Prototype (V1) isn't a TIE Advanced. However, TIE Advanced X1 (Prototype) is a TIE Advanced.

Yeah

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Ojetor posted:

I just realized that if you're behind a ship and tractor beam it you can actually push it away from you (by boosting it 1 forward), which seems like a really weird thing for a tractor beam to do.

Can I use the tractor beam to push nerds into lockers?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

ShineDog posted:

So I uh, popped the lasers off my YT 2400 to paint it for the star wars RPG campaign and I kinda lost them, possibly to a hoover.

Any idea for cool replacements that would not require any real talent to apply?

Tiny skulls

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
They should just do Rogue Squadron 2 as an expansion.

By that I mean add Snow Speeders and the Buick

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
The K Wing is such a mess of a design. It looks more like a GI Joe plane than a starfighter.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
They televise X-Wing?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Otisburg posted:

"Daddy, can we make our own ships?"
"Well, honey, what would yours be like if you could make it?"
"It would be like the Millennium Falcon, but it would have eight attack, um... ten evade, and cost twelve points."
"I don't think you're ready to design X-Wing ships just yet, but maybe Star Trek Attack Wing that would work."

TBF they could be an EU writer with that attitude

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Tequila Ranger posted:

Man every time I play X-Wing I think to myself "This would actually be fun if it had more Anime!" so boy howdy am I glad to see that poo poo above.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN_CP4SuoTU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

ranbo das posted:

Apart from aesthetic, which you can't really argue since it's subjective, I legitimately do not get the cheering-on of the Rebels sometimes. Yeah it's fiction but the Rebels and Resistance are literally space terrorists so even ironically being like "gently caress Yeah Rebels!" seems sketchy, depending on the person. Like some people I know who are all about the Rebels I can tell it's purely a style thing, but that TIE Fighter short's comments are seriously :wtc:

The rebels never exploded a planet out of spite

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

jivjov posted:

The Galactic Empire is literally fictional. One can appreciate the aesthetic of TIEs and trooper armor without holding to the ideals of a fictional organization that has never killed anyone (on account of being fictional).

There's also a whole lot of Neonazis in sci-fi and nerd hobbies.

Personally I like the Empire because the TIE Defender is My Jam but I feel like the Empire's EU ships tend to be slightly shittier than the Rebel EU ships, which already tend towards being lovely.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Am I the only one that thinks the Gunboat/Missile Boat/etc look real dumb and counter to the aesthetic?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I took Strobe's XXX list again tonight and completely hosed it up. I went for the two A-wings instead of Dash, it was a dumb dumb dumb mistake on my part. I'm terrible at the opening.

EDIT: I lost to the same guy I beat last week. The guy who was disappointed that Episode 7 didn't have the Yuuzhan Vong.

Sever his head IMO

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Madurai posted:

The gunboat looks like it's related to the Lambda. If the shuttle doesn't read as Imperial to you, the others won't either. The Imperial aesthetic is supposed to be all angles and hard edges, and it has those things.

I don't like the Missile Boat, because I think that fighter-to-fighter homing weapons are inherently Not Star Wars, but that has nothing to do with how it looks.

Shuttle looks fine to me but not the gunboat :shrug:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

alg posted:

the k-wing owns son. star wars ships are based off wwII planes. the k-wing looks like this guy

ball turret supremacy.

The K-wing is the most EU ship imaginable, in that it doesn't fit in with the general aesthetic of the series in any way at all

Look at that piece of poo poo

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Weirdneal posted:

Gunboat looks like something the Rebels would do to a few Shuttles they captured.

Yeah, it doesn't really look Imperial to me.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Chill la Chill posted:

Right, and I'm fine with those. Like I said, twin laser turret. It's not a dangling ballsack, however. Though this does give me a good idea and I'll probably cut it off, slice off a portion of the ball, and attach it to the base of the chin so it looks more like a ball turret.

Imagine being the gunner in that turret

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Ringo Star Get posted:

Gonna nerd it up here, the Gunboat is not made by the companies that make the TIEs, so the design aesthetic is different. It was the Empire's request for a ship that has shields, hyperspace, and can carry warheads to deal with the more durable Rebel ships. It escalated to the Missile Boat because the Imps want results to deal with a now more serious Rebel threat.

TIE Defenders, Advanced, and Avengers were Sienar's answer to be "Hey! Buy our fighters and not Cygnus!" Problem for all these ships is their expense: very costly and obviously reserved for special units and for a Moffs that steal from the Empire kitty.

None of those are real things though so it just ends up clashing with the rest of the art

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
How are B-Wings generally equipped? Is Ten Numb with the Mangler Cannon as good as it seems?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Chill la Chill posted:

I managed to get the hazy airbrushed effect down. I'll clean up the bold black lines later. What color should the shadow of SLAM SECTOR be?

90s Neon Green

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Ten Numb (31)
Marksmanship (3)
Fire-Control System (2)
"Mangler" Cannon (4)
Proton Torpedoes (4)
Proton Torpedoes (4)
Mercenary Copilot (2)
B-Wing/E2 (1)

Total: 51

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

:getin:

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jan 25, 2016

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Yeah, that's a lot better than my goofy bullshit

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

The Lord of Hats posted:

Yeah, seriously. I mean, I can get if there isn't actually *worldwide* demand for X-Wing, but having all of one event in the US and the other 7 in Europe is absolutely bizarre.

No :canada: either

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

TKIY posted:

Is there a squadron builder that will tell you what you need to buy in order to run your list with all the right cards, etc?

For some reason I thought I saw one but can't find it again...

https://geordanr.github.io/xwing/ lets you list your collection and tells you what cards you have and where each card comes from but I don't know any that have an option to just see what expansions you need for a whole list.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Probably an Omega Leader + fo swarm

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
I really hope that the next Star Wars episode has some more ships so that Resistance/First Order aren't just Wangs and TIEs

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
I would like to see that wacky B Wing concept art turned into a Star War

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Some Numbers posted:

If you have R2-D6 and Integrated Astromech and you discard the Astromech to negate a hit, do you lose the Elite talent?

No

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
IG88 is my favourite of those bounty hunters but it also has probably the stupidest EU backstory of all of them

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

kingcom posted:

:vince:

Did he fall in the saarlac pit like 8 times too?

No but he did take over the Deathstar 2 right before it exploded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

quote:

The remaining IG-88 uploaded his consciousness into a computer core destined for Death Star II. He succeeded in being uploaded, and was preparing to activate his program to take over all droids in the galaxy when it was destroyed. With his consciousness in the Death Star II, he would literally become the Death Star.[1]

Emperor Palpatine was the only known person on the Death Star to suspect something was wrong after the uploading of the computer core with IG-88 inside. Before the station's destruction, he noticed a series of doors in his throne room opening and closing sporadically. IG-88 did this to show the Emperor that he was not all powerful. However, IG-88 was utterly baffled when it appeared that Emperor Palpatine used some unseen force to attempt to push the doors open. However, IG-88 exerted more force and was able to continue to keep the Emperor locked in, until he grew tired of the game and unlocked the door.[1]
Lando Calrissian and Wedge Antilles ended up destroying the core, destroying both the Death Star, and the A.I. of IG-88 as well.

• Locked thread