Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Speaking of Rebel Aces, will pimped up B-Wing/E2's be even that great? Phantoms are a thing now and they are pretty great for being able to murder slower single starfighters with limited firing arcs. I mean they'd be great if it was pre-Wave 4 meta because B-Wings were pretty top poo poo, this is really the only B-Wing I'm not looking forward to facing

:eyepop:

e: Just to be clear, it basically means you can potentially hamper Phantoms with Flechette (or Ion) Torpedoes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Gladiator-class Star Destroyers are cool, but not as cool as the VSD. The plain old scum ships don't really interest me at all, I don't really know how they'll be different from Rebel ships we already have.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

CODChimera posted:

My flatmate got the Core Set today and I watched them play a game. It looks fun and I love Star Wars so I pretty much have to buy some. Thinking the Rebel Aces pack and an X-Wing....or maybe an E-Wing.

Is this one of those things where you start off buying 2 or 3 ships for a squadron and then 3 months later you have entire fleets for both sides?

Not really, I only have Rebels and Imperials because I own the ships my girlfriend uses. If it wasn't for her then I'd just have Imperials.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Wouldn't it be nice to have the Imperial Boba Fett to be as good as this?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

alg posted:

Ka'atos Leachos from the RPG is one of the Z-95 pilots :) Gonna suck if the PS7 Y-wing pilot is non-lovely and Rebels are stuck with what we've got now.

I think both Rebels and Imps will get owned in some way by this.

Chill la Chill posted:

I like how the new scum faction "rewards" players like me who collect both factions anyway so I can have a sweet third one for almost-free.

Same, I've got enough Y-Wings, Z-95's and a Firespray-31. I don't think I'll play it per se, but people I know who want to use the ships I have can.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Carteret posted:

:siren:X-Wing National Finals!:siren:

:psyboom:2 motherfucking Falcons vs Whisper, Captain Yorr(!) & Soontir Fel:psyboom:

My worldview... has changed.

Double Falcons are gayer than Phantoms, the amount of frustration long-time Rebel players direct at me for using a Phantom really is offset by how obnoxious the Falcon is.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

SageNytell posted:

So for the more math - inclined goons out there: what does the Accuracy Corrector mean for shot statistics? Is there a scenario when making a shot normally makes sense?

Some sperg did it on the FFG forums but basically it's of questionable use on ships which have the Systems Upgrade slot, only because they all have 3 attack anyway. It would be mega good on a two attack ship, however. The dude on the forum also speculated that it might be good on the Shuttle, there was another ship he thought it might be good on but I don't usually care for that anyway.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

signalnoise posted:

I really like the idea that they can include new content without having to add models to buy.

They come with the Transport.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Well you better get mad at everybody proxying it then. Really they should release those X-Wing pilots seperately. I did buy the huge ships because I thought they looked neat, not because they came with any special card.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Chiwie posted:

Looking to get into this at some point. Xwings and z95s are my fave ships, would a list solely of them be viable?

Yes

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Remember when the Falcon first came out?

Those were the days

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Y-Wings are my favorite rebel ship so it gets my vote.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

I'm seeing talk on the FFG forums about the merits of the Black Squadron Pilot with either Predator or Outmaneuver. Interestingly enough, a close comparison to this setup is the much-maligned Alpha Squadron Pilot. I'm really not going to get into the detailed strengths and weaknesses for both, I think that it's really interesting because historically the ASP has fared pretty poorly due to being caught somewhere between a low PS blocker and a barrel-rolling flanker, but being able to do neither well. The BSP+Pred/Outmaneuver also kind of fits this pseudo blocker/shooter land too, being too expensive and PS4 to block effectively while only bringing the same firepower as an Interceptor under certain conditions.

The Alpha Squadron Pilot is still my favorite pilot because I like the artwork and I think it can work under certain conditions, it's certainly something to consider.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Phantoms OP, YT-1300 okay

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

overdesigned posted:

The TIE Advanced is going to suck a little less once Rebel Aces hits and you can put Proton Rockets on it.

But only a little.

I think Darth Vader is still the best use for the Advanced (x1). My original Wave 1 list was Vader, Mauler Mithel, Backstabber, Dark Curse and a Black Squadron Pilot (there were upgrades). And it actually worked really well, Vader could pass of free actions and Dark Curse was an annoying flanker. Maarek Stele suffers from a lack of attack dice and PS7, if you are going to trigger his ability it's going to be later in the game and really he's 2 points less than Vader so it's almost a no brainer.

The Storm Squadron Pilot probably should have an EPT, although it was a bit of a thing in Wave 1 where generics wouldn't get an EPT, the notable exception being the Black Squadron Pilot. I'll make it a challenge that the next list I make will actually have a TIE Advanced in it, and not Vader in the x1.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

The Decimator is going to be great, soon I'll be able to fly around blast away super-mobile A-Wings regardless of firing arcs. Glorious.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Am I missing something, because I thought HLC's can't crit unless Kath Scarlet or whatever changes the dice.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Lmao at the projecting that ACD should be banned too.

Is this real life?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

JumpyMonky posted:

Here is FFG's info page on the custom mission creator. Could be pretty interested!

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=5021

X-Wing vs TIE-Fighter missions ahoy

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Captain Kagi with Darth Vader and EU is literally the antidote to Phantoms. If only he had an EPT for VI.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Strobe posted:

I don't know about good, but it's usable. It's a high cost to pay for sometimes-one crit. You can't use the focus for defense, and it's a whopping 3 points. It's better going against Imperial lists, because they take crits a lot earlier, but against Rebels it's not worth it until late, and by then the person who has it could easily be dead.

I think Marksmanship should be taken in the context of it's time, which is Wave 1. It's getting that sick crit against a TIE Fighter early at the expense of defense, which at the time might've been a valid tradeoff. These days you'd just take Push the Limit, which gives you more flexibility because you can TL + Focus for attack or defense.

e: Obviously some people might not have PtL or want to give their ship a stress for a variety of reasons.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

I've developed an urge to start using the Firespray-31 again, should turn out pretty great. I'm still spitballing a list, however.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

I've been seeing Shuttle + Vessery lists recently and it does look really promising.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Scratch the Firespray thing, I am totally stealing Tekopo's Defender/Shuttle combo for the next game, because I loving know there's going to be a Falcon.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

The naked TIE Phantoms are so loving terrible, it's almost criminal. The fact they don't have Adv Cloaking Device or Stygium Particle Accelerator at the very least would probably get you laughs at a tourney. Casually, use whatever and have fun because that's what the game is about but even these please consider either ACD or SPA.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Both of the revised lists are tons better than the first iteration. With the first list I'd consider dropping FCS from Whisper and adding a Stygium Particle Accelerator to the Sigma SQ. Pilot, only so you can mitigate some of the inevitable incoming fire.

The second list is more what I'd prefer, that is properly-fit Phantoms. Honestly if I had to make a two-Phantom list, it would look like this;

Whisper - VI, ACD (37)
Echo - VI, ACD (35)
Obsidian SQ. Pilot (13)
Obsidian SQ. Pilot (13)
Total - 98

It's not terribly good, but by the same measure it's not terribly bad either. The Phantoms will really but anyone/anything right in the own-zone and the TIE Fighters are just in there for kicks. I made them the PS3 version to fire before the Blue SQ. B-Wing. By my reckoning, Whisper will shoot before Luke and Echo is shooting at the same time, meaning unless you gently caress up royally your Phantoms should always be cloaked.

e: I also just want to say that the Rebel list is exactly the type of list which gets reamed by Phantoms, not even R2-D2 will save Luke in this case. It would be challenging, borderline unfun to play this list with the Rebel list you presented, especially due to a lack of turrets, or even a Y-Wing.

Recoome fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Aug 31, 2014

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

alg posted:

It's a goddamn Y-Wing, they don't swap the fuckin' turrets. Their turrets are the point of their ship. They should just get a straight up upgrade card for 0 points that adds a Crew. That's the point of Y-Wings, they're a two man attack ship with a turret. loving B-Wings why the gently caress did they get the crew card.

Y-Wings are amazing, you have a pretty good opinion there.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Speaking about upgrades, I'm really looking forward to the crew upgrades in the Decimator, if only to put them on a Shuttle. I think Mara Jade on an Omicron Group Pilot would be pretty neat.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Torpedoes are good on Horton Salm, but that's pretty much it for the Rebels.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

signalnoise posted:

Right now just with friends. The problem I have right now is that it seems like with empire it's easy enough to just pick a good ship, get a lot of it for cheap, and roll around in a wing with a couple synergies. Rebel seems more like it needs very tightly directed synergies in multiple directions with a lot of modifications. I don't know how right that is on either side. I also don't really know if any of these cards that look bad are actually bad or if there are some like... modification packs or something that work well with specific dudes. I'm trying to make little mini-combos in each ship and planning to use a couple ships in formation to capitalize on stuff but then when it gets on the table those formations break up pretty quick.

Seems like it's just a really deep game to be honest.

What list are you musing right now? I'm really interested because I usually find it's Empire which gets beaten when people are new to the game (assuming both players are new).

e:I've assembled a comedy squad for the next game I get, it totals 98 points.

Sigma Squadron Pilot w/ Stygium Particle Accelerator (27)
Sigma Squadron Pilot w/ Stygium Particle Accelerator (27)

Alpha Squadron Pilot (18)

Obsidian Squadron Pilot (13)
Obsidian Squadron Pilot (13)

So many generics I know, so few hit points sure. The essential point of this squad for me is just to shoot rebs and have fun, as a plus it does actually kick out some serious dice, if the Sigmas can survive to actually decloak it'll be pretty rad.

Recoome fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Sep 4, 2014

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Cracken and Blount are absolutely top-tier pilots, I am still surprised they don't get as much play time as I expected. Cracken is essentially the Darth Vader for Rebels and Blount is a great way to ionise, rear end missile or remove stealth devices, all for cheap.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

pbpancho posted:

Highlight of the day was using the auto-hit Ion Pulse to dispose of an unharmed Han Solo by flying it off the board. Also using it to lock down Echo for a 3 missile all-you-can-eat buffet.

:drat:

Z-95s are so cool, even though I play Empire it's great seeing them on the board. Really takes me back to XvT.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Chardaan Refit is amazing, the fact that a PS3 A-Wing with Push the Limit is worth the same amount of points as a regular PS3 TIE Interceptor with no PtL is just weird. Point for point, the A-Wing is better and really should beat the TIE Interceptor every time.

e: Or you could have 2x EPT (such as Wingman) on all your Green Squadron Pilots and just Push the Limit all day, every day.

Recoome fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Sep 6, 2014

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

I think the most of the higher-end Interceptor pilots (including the Saber and Royal Guard pilots) can be okay because PtL is good, but I agree that the Alpha and Avenger SQ. Pilots are extremely difficult to utilise well.

e: I also acknowledge that the A-Wing has a -2 point missile thing, and that's why it's so competitive. I feel my comparison is valid because it's uncommon to chuck missiles on an A-Wing anyway, which means if you aren't using missiles it's an auto-include type of card.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Shockeh posted:

"Massed Green Squadron will be crazy", I said. Nobody believed me, and now here we are, talking about how good it might be, especially compared to Interceptors of similar cost. I feel vindicated. :colbert:

Who doubted you? I've certainly been thinking that 5x GSP w/ PtL and Chardaan Refit would be pretty good for as long as I've known what's in Rebel Aces.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

I didn't intend it to lead to a whine, I really was just trying to comment on how nice Chardaan Refit is.

Also Barrel Roll is nice and all but boost is good too and my regular opponent has no issues keeping things within the firing arcs of her A-Wings.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

I have two Phantoms.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

I'm going through an Interceptor-swarm phase again, and as a result I'm only going to run lists which consist exclusively on Interceptors. I'm revisting the feared :laffo: 4x Alpha Squadron Pilot + Thing style list, which is actually really easy to build because Thing has a budget of 28 points.

The Thing I've been musing is Tetran Cowall. This guy is probably regarded as one of the poorer Int pilots because his ability is pretty situational and violates a core tenant of flying Ints when he uses his ability, namely not being able to guarantee a focus for defense. Offensively, being able to execute a 3, 5 or :siren:1-speed:siren: K-turn is actually pretty big news, and I'm thinking about running him with Predator for rerolls when he K-turns. I could just slap PtL on him and call it a day, he'd get to PtL most turns and then have the ability to be mega slippery in a K-turn, although at the expense of not using his ability. In theory, his ability is actually pretty flexible.

Thoughts?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

32 points is actually pretty terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

It actually looks pretty great, I wouldn't mind having that card.

• Locked thread