Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
I was thinking since I did not have a crippling crack/ice/heroin/40k addiction that I should give X-wing a shot since I miss TT gaming. I know the OP says that the starter sets are fine, but I am wondering what else should I grab if I actually want to a little bit competitive.

Also I am thinking of selling my child and am wondering how popular is Armada compared to X-wing. Thinking of maybe getting into both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

canyoneer posted:

If you like Star Wars and love spending money you should get into Star Wars Destiny as well :v:

Yeah, looked at that and I am very tempted. Honestly going to depend on how enjoyable the regular players at the local game shop are to be around.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Went down to my local game shop to scout it out and was pleasantly surprised. They multiples of every single Starter set/expansion and single ships. Also they have a huge gaming area and 2 tables set aside for X-wing. May not be amazing to you guys but this is a smallish rural town in Australia. Going to jump in next week when I finish off the last of the X-mas shopping for everyone else and I have a few questions.

1. Besides the starter set I am genetically obligated to get the Falcon. I am just trying to decide if it is better to get the standalone Falcon kit or the Hero's of the Republic kit. Will I be missing out on something if I get the Hero's set?

2. If I get the above is there any blister pack ships or single expansion you guys and gals would recommend to round my starting collection out? I know everyone says get what you find cool, but I find almost all of it cool.

3. I feel myself falling down a deep dark hole due to this thread.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
The Australia Tax is real and painful. Core set is $65 at the local shop and $59 from others. From Amazon US it's $29 including basic shipping.

Any other Aussie/Kiwi in the thread to give recommendations where to buy from? I'm going to buy bits and pieces from the local shop to support it but it's just silly to buy a majority of the stuff at what works out to be 2x the price.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Went down to the local shop and a guy offered to let me borrow some stuff to play. Came home and pulled the trigger.

I ordered
TFA Starter
Millennium Falcon Expansion Pack
TIE Defender Expansion Pack
Rebel Aces Expansion Pack
A-Wing Expansion Pack

Could not find a star viper that Amazon would ship to AU for some weird reason. I'll just pick that up at the shop when I grab a U-wing next week.
also going to try to source a C-3P0

Plan on building something along this line from the world series. Besides C-3P0 it is a really cheap setup compared to others and it has the Falcon which is a must have for me to start out with.

Han + Predator + Luke + C3PO + Engine + Title
Jake + PTL + VI + AT + Prockets

Raged fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Dec 14, 2016

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Picked up a U-Wing today and I like it.

In other news. Rogue One is awesome, like better than Empire awesome.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Ummmm I am new and I can't tell if you guys are full of poo poo or that I will never learn the dumb lingo

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
I have a kind of an off topic question about gaming shop etiquette.

When you play regularly at a shop(especially a non chain shop) do you buy all of your stuff from the shop even though they are 10-20% more expensive than an online shop?

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

I agree entirely with this post.

I help manage a small-ish store that is arguably the best in the area because of the positive experience we provide for our customers, visitors, and players through service and actually managing to keep the store clean and attractive. We sell everything at MSRP, which is roughly a 100% mark-up from our cost. i.e. A $60 game costs us $30 and some change when shipping is factored in, your average wang costs us $7.50 to sell at the usual $15. We are not trying to compete with CSI or Miniature Market because it's pointless, and is a different market anyway.

If you like the store you visit and you think they work hard to make the place nice for you and others, support it. If you want the super low prices the high-volume discount retailers can provide, support them instead. Neither place is really losing out because neither of us is targeting the same audience. (That said, one single sale in a FLGS goes a much longer way than one at a discount retailer.)

Don't support lovely stores who won't put in the effort. It is really and truly not hard to keep a store looking organized and clean, it just takes a modicum of effort that someone has to be willing to put in.

tl;dr: Buy your wangs where you feel most comfortable buying them for whatever reason you deem important. We'll still be happy to see people come out to play games regardless of where they got their stuff because playing is what this hobby is all about.

Thanks for the opinions guys and gals. The store I started playing at is a family run store and the owner is super friendly and the place is immaculate, plus they just expanded a bit and doubled their playing area. Just had a few people calling me crazy for dropping nearly $300 AUD ($220 USD) When I could have gotten everything on the net for $50-$70+ cheaper. Wasn't much of a question when I last played games in the early 90's.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Are new waves released on a regular schedule or is it just whenever they come up with new ideas?

Also whoever posted awhile back that I would end up wanting one of everything so right it hurts.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
I think my shop got 4 U-Wings in and only one is left. I'm still pleasantly surprised that a country town in Australia has a shop with multiples of everything in stock.

E: Any good apps out there for the game? Would not mind a card list or some ini could just scroll through since I don't know them all.

Raged fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Dec 16, 2016

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Is anyone doing anything nifty with a single U-Wing in a list?

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Guessing the Fat Han/Jake list isn't doing too well these days?

Raged fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Dec 18, 2016

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

ConfusedUs posted:

Can you guys think of anything else that's been making waves?

RAC+ Ryad won the NSW regional in Australia. Unfortunately a bunch of mongoloids run the event so no lists or stream of any of the matches. They went out of business a few weeks later.

edit: Does anyone know a good site for the big tourney replays? Only seem to be able to find the final match of 2016 championship on youtube and would like to see some more of the matches from the event.

Raged fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Dec 18, 2016

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
All this Falcon talk is making me cry since we all know FFG is going to release a third Falcon kit when the young Han Solo movie comes out.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Chill la Chill posted:

Ah, so that disease explains the CGI tarkin.

Baaah it wasn't bad at all. I know people who did not know the actor was dead who could did not notice the CGI.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
I'm running Han/Jake as my first 100pt team
https://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f=Rebel%20Alliance&d=v4!s!36:57,73,63,31:2:3:;86:18,73:7:15:U.27&sn=Han%2FJake

Most other lists of this seem to run at 97 points and not have Prockets on the Flacon, but I am of the mind why not? I am of the mindset that if I am in range 1 a nice 5 die roll with Han's reroll would be nice to have in an oh poo poo moment.

I have seem so many similar list without it I am starting to think I am missing something obvious.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Strobe posted:

Prockets are 5 dice on A-wings. They're 3 dice on Falcons.

Thanks, knew I was missing something obvious.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
I'm thinking about running RAC/Ryad for fun and games but I think I am missing something

RAC/VI/Rebel Captive/Ysanne/Cluster Mines/Extra Munitions/EU

Ryad/PTL/Ion Mk2/x7

Is this viable or should I change some things up?

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Has anyone gotten a Upsilon yet?

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Here is my gift to myself since my daughter isn't rich at the age of 14

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

ConfusedUs posted:

aww look at that cute little tackle box that you will in no way outgrow

Hey, that has 3 whole trays. .........

I've already resigned myself to the fact that in a few weeks/months it will be my case for what I am playing on that day.

Raged fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Dec 21, 2016

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

ConfusedUs posted:

When the Upsilon comes out, I don't think I'll have room for it in my current storage. I'm using one of these

https://www.amazon.com/Plano-1374-R...ords=plano+1374

These really big, hard-to-store ships like the Ghost, Shadowcaster, and Upsilon all have to go up top, which is also where I keep my templates and a binder with cards and stuff. There's just not enough room :(

I'm am shocked how quickly my box is filling. Falcon has to go up top along with the defenders. I am down to one shelf left.

I may have chosen..... poorly

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Got to play my first match at the FLGS and actually won with Han/Jake vs Dash/B-Wing. Felt good.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Does omega leader stop rerolls such as Han/Luke

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Anyone use Tabletop Simulator to play X-wing? It's now 50% off on steam

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Strobe ran a tournament earlier this year but got very busy and it kinda petered out. I played a couple games two months ago and last I read, the modder was having trouble getting actual models for the newer stuff, especially things that haven't been in other games to rip the model from, like the Lancer.

The Tie Striker is in now but the u-wing isn't yet.The lancer isn't a full model but just a picture token which honestly would work fine enough for me.

If anyone picks TTS up here is a handy guide to get going https://www.reddit.com/r/XWingTMG/comments/58ir9d/so_you_want_to_be_a_tabletop_simulator_star/?st=ix2oam6z&sh=872b3d48

Also this guy did a nice video series on getting it running for x-wing. Some info is out of date (such as "savedial" being replaced by "sd") but it helped alot

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
I have a few questions about FenZukMan. Going to try to run Confused's list
https://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f...:&sn=FenZuckman

1. How do you deal with stress since it seems it could be possible to stress out your whole side at a bad time? Do you never pull red maneuvers?

2. Do you use the tractor beam much during most matches?

3. What do you think is the"Oh poo poo" list you would prefer to not see across the table?

In other news I had a bunch of matches at my flgs the last couple of days and still I'm somehow undefeated. Ran Han/Jake for a few and Ryad/Ves/Omega Leader a couple of times. Even beat the current store champ a couple of times. He was so nice that he gave me a C-3PO I needed from his stack he won in tournaments. Everything is starting to click now and I am not making as many dumb mistakes as I did my first few matches. Well except for running Han intro obstacles way too much.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Looking to make use of a Tie Bomber and slapped this together

"Deathfire" — TIE Bomber 17
Extra Munitions 2
Homing Missiles 5
Cluster Mines 4
Long-Range Scanners 0

Countess Ryad — TIE Defender 34
Push the Limit 3
Twin Ion Engine Mk. II 1
TIE/x7 -2

Colonel Vessery — TIE Defender 35
Juke 2
Twin Ion Engine Mk. II 1
TIE/x7 -2

any hints of tips on this list?

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Well I am in for an interesting match tomorrow, Got a guy coming in to play at the FLGS which is in regional NSW and he is is from out woop woop and he wants to play a epic match. So I slapped this together.

My crappy list

Poor guy only gets to play with one other person unless he travels 2 hours.

Raged fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Jan 3, 2017

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
I played my epic match today. It was interesting and I am never going to play another one again. It just takes to drat long and I would much rather have multiple 100 pt matches instead.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Friction posted:

Got any huge ships on field?

I don't have any huge ships,but the other guy had a rebel corvette. It was fun to fight against, but the battle itself took 3+ hours. Way too long for my taste. Might do it again for fun one day down the road, but I can't see it happening on a regular basis.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

KongGeorgeVII posted:

So who is going to the South Australian regionals on the weekend? I'll be road tripping with a few guys from Melbourne.

No idea, I had no idea it was even going on. If I had known I would have gone down for it. FFG is really poo poo about posting AU regionals on their list. I am on 3 AU X-wing groups too and nothing was posted.

Really would like to know when the NSW, QLD and Vic ones are running this year.

Raged fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jan 5, 2017

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Any word when the Australian nationals are going to be held this year?

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
I'll probably be up for some TTS in a bit. Supposed to have a few matches at the shop so I can practice with FuckMan and everyone is a no show.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Actually got a match in at the store for my first run with FuckMan. I failed this great list, but that is why you practice. I played against a token tank ghost and a 2400 with mangler cannon. Zuck died first then manaroo then Fenn. I killed ghost and then had the 2400 down to hull.

Things I did wrong

1. I let Fen be the bait and it worked, but when I turned in to attack I rushed it and ended up bumping Ghost. which put Fen out of position for 3 turns. I got too greedy trying to get to range 1. Otherwise Ghost would have died in turn 3.

2. I did not use Manaroo as a shield for Zuck if I had Zuck would have lived for at least 2 more rounds.

3. I focused on Ghost and instead I should have burnt down the 2400. This is kind of debatable since if ghost dying in round 3 would have won it for me anyway.

4. I need to learn to block with Manaroo. I did not get one proper block in the whole match.

Things I did right

1. After Zuck died and I pulled my head out and used Manaroo to obstruct for Fen to get in range. It worked like a dream.

2. I have only been playing 2+ weeks and except for my screw up with Fen my maneuvering is much, much better.

Sorry for the babbling, but just writing that out let's me see where I need to improve. If any of my ships had lived one more turn I would have won and that's due to this list being great. I just signed up for my first tourny in a month so I am going to run this list into the ground until I can play with it in my sleep. 5-1 isn't a bad start for a newbie player :)

Also

canyoneer posted:

Zuck my dice, you FennMan
list name changed

Raged fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jan 6, 2017

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

It's really irritating that they are not having one of these events in Australia.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Major Isoor posted:

They're mostly on the east coast; either in Melbourne itself or in Sydney, so pretty close. One of the others (like KongGeorge perhaps) from the east-coast might be able to tell you more though, as I'm from Adelaide. (Also I'm pretty sure it's still undecided as to where Nationals will be, but I think the odds are more in Melbourn/General Games' favour, from what I've heard)

Whenever you hear about sign-up starting for the AU nationals post it up in here. I really don't want to miss out.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
They had one of the System Open events in Italy and got a grand total of 60 people. If they hosted it in AU at nice big place(Syd or Melb) they would get a couple hundred.

Yes I'm miffed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Major Isoor posted:

No guarantees (as my short-term memory is pretty bad, if I do say so myself), but I'll certainly try to remember to - it'll be good if we can get a reasonable goon presence there!

Think I am on just about every X-Wing AU Facebook group for the sole purpose of finding out about tournaments.

• Locked thread