Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Poopy Palpy posted:

I dunno, I guess I've spent too much of the past two decades getting hyped for Star Wars games only to be disappointed. In particular, I think it's pretty unlikely that a game that splits its focus between ground combat and dogfighting is likely to give the dogfights the depth I'd like.

You should know that Battlefield games have almost never struck a good balance between ground combat and air vehicles. The jets have a floaty feel and a flight model better suited to flying saucers than aircraft.
So, yeah, you're right to temper your expectations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

The guy whining about ruining the surprise could have, you know, just not read them and kept the surprise element for himself.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

g0del posted:

On the other hand, calling two ships which everyone already saw in the trailer months ago "spoilers" is taking that term to an absurd level. And the whole "a giant corporation planned a surprise for you because they love you, not because they want to get money out of you" theme of his rant just screams mental issues.

A blue X Wing and two TIE fighters with whitewall tires. That was the surprise

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

So the answer is to come full circle and do a fan-mod for X-Wing with the ships replaced by WWII era fighters.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Buy all of them and sell it for $300 with overnight shipping. Someone will buy it.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Kai Tave posted:

Honestly, getting one of each wouldn't be the worst idea. It'll save you from needing to buy another set of dice (which you'll want to do, trust me) and it'll give you two sets of templates, one for you and one for your opponent, plus both sets come with exclusive pilots and cards. The only thing that'll be redundant by the sound of it is the core set damage deck which is being updaterrata'd.

That's what I was thinking. I'm considering getting into X-Wing and it seems like a new and old core set would be enough to build a good 2 player list off of :shobon:

edit:
Would the original rebel/imperial core set be reprinted with the new damage decks?

canyoneer fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Aug 25, 2015

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Kai Tave posted:

Saying the film's baddies are gonna be inspired by Nazis is just like, well, no loving poo poo.

Snoke is kind of a dumb name but it's still no Count Dooku.

Full name is Snoke'Oon and he is from Hoth. Man, these EU novels just write themselves!

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Archenteron posted:

If we're talking about EU ships and goofy TIE variants, what about the Clawcraft?

That cockpit view would make parallel parking impossible

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

I thought you were joking and then I looked it up.

Someone let me know when we hit rock bottom of the EU because I keep thinking we're there.

My favorite takeaway from the GBS thread was Han Solo fights the Space Otter Queen
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Selonian

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

waah posted:

Or the equally ridiculous star destroyer arms race. Wasnt a HSSD like 20 miles long or something?

The Spaceballs gag played straight, I see.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

If Bill and Ted brought an 18th century admiral into the present, that guy would get around the premeasuring rule by using a sextant to measure the angle and do some trig.

Actually that would be awesome if someone did that in a tournament and got that explicitly banned in the rules.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

So Target has a deal in their weekly ad for this Friday's Star Wars merchandise launch. Using promo code FORCE it's $10 off $50, or $25 off $100.

People have said the new core set has been spotted in some Targets already. Do we know if anything else gets released at the same time as the new core set?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Strobe posted:

The kind of people who walk into an FLGS and the kind of people who walk into a Target, while the same species, are not necessarily the same people. This is neither a good nor bad thing, it is merely A Thing.

I think it's kinda silly to call this FFG loving over the guys supporting their position. It won't be a Target exclusive forever. There are a boatload of people who will patiently wait for it to come out at their FLGS before buying. I honestly doubt that the turnaround before this gets to FLGSs will be longer than this time next week. Remember, if we hadn't gotten leaks about it, none of us would even know this thing exists yet. It hasn't been announced, it hasn't been officially publicized, nothing.

I wonder how the :qq:FLY CASUAL, YOU GUYS:qq: dude feels about this.

Keiya posted:

Honestly, the economics of starter sets and the economics of everything else are rather different. In the long run it makes way more sense to have the starter sets in major stores when people are looking for Star Wars stuff, even for the FLGS, because it gets people picking it up who wouldn't previously have even gone to their FLGS.

Yep. I expect that the number of Magic starter sets or duel decks sold in a year at big box retailers is much higher than the number of starter sets/duel decks sold at FLGSs.
I once had a guy from Fender at a conference tell me about their supply chain. 80% of the volume of their guitars are sold through big retailers (Best Buy, Guitar Center, Sweetwater, Costco, Wal Mart, etc.), who order thousands of them at a time, and are sent in freight trains and huge delivery trucks.
The rest are sent onesie-twosie to small, independent music stores via Fed Ex or UPS.

Guess which one has the better margins and average selling price?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

So I found this website.
http://brickseek.com/target-inventory-checker
I put in my zip code and the DCPI code from that screenshot (087-10-1337), and all the stores around me say they have 12 each.

It also looks like Amazon is matching the Target deal for $10 off $50 and $25 off $100 on Star Wars stuff. If the new wangs show up there, you can get a deal there too.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Biaga posted:

By you found do you mean you pulled it off reddit?

Don't you dare question my google searching young man

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Per the tracker, the store near me that had a midnight release was completely sold out of wangs within a few hours. I got to another store around the 8 AM opening and got a set, there were only a couple left at that point.

And got Loopin' Chewie too, of course.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

McQuarrie concept art seems to be a never-ending well of "new" concepts

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Chill la Chill posted:

The x wing can now do a T-roll, aka Tokyo roll or "drift." They need oversized engines to do so IMO.

Brobots can do multi-track drifting.

I want the new Stars Wars movie ships to move like the Battlestar Galactica Vipers do complete with sick drifts, thank you very much.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Tried out the new core set last night. Wife clobbered me in both games with Blue Ace while I used the new TIEs. That boost ability to do a 90 degree turn was putting guns on target everywhere on the map.

The good news is that she now has the Plastic Spaceship Fever and wants to buy a bunch more :getin::homebrew:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I am dumb. Does BB-8 allow you to do that barrel roll even if your ship is not barrel roll capable?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Seems like 90% of the competitive lists out there are Rebel or Scum these days. I see a few imperial lists out there are based around Tie Advanced, mostly with the pilots/upgrades found in the Imperial Raider.

Wonder if the new First Order sets will see Imperial lists make a comeback

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Do you expect we'll see an official T-70 painted up in a black/orange scheme or is that just going to be the most popular mod in all of X Wing?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

My toddler would be pissed if he knew that mom and dad stayed up after his bedtime to play with toy spaceships without him.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Can someone explain the thread title? I am hoping the story is as funny as I'm imagining it

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Woulda figured a confederate flag motif would be more fitting on Boba Fett's Firespray

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Kai Tave posted:

Gonna put Cool Hand on Luke Skywalker for the pun alone.

That was also my first thought.

ConfusedUs posted:

Haha you can literally shoot astromechs off of Xwings now. That's hilarious.

:agreed:
Gonna love to watch my little robo-buds take a bullet for their boss.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Yeah, I work with a company that has manufacturing in China and a bunch of suppliers there. They're serious about holding the manufacturers to the company standards (including a safe working environment and pay/benefits beyond the local legal minimum).
They hire other companies to go knock doors and do unannounced inspections and raise hell/threaten to cancel the contract if conditions aren't met. They once busted a subcontractor for locking a fire escape and forced them to fix it right away and present evidence of compliance at regular intervals.

A company like FFG can probably afford to be more careful about their suppliers than can a company like Mattel who exists in a mega-competitive race to the bottom sort of market.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

If they're really dominating the meta, I can't wait until the next big tournament when the top 4 lists are all quad TLT boats. The most boring finals. :v:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

My Cardhaus Labor Day sale package arrived today. Falcon, Rebel Aces, Imperial Aces, Slave 1, Tie Advanced, and original core set. Pretty good haul for $110, and I can't wait to get them on the table :peanut:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Chill la Chill posted:

Yeah, me too. Now I can go back to still beating people with Han but not having them whine about not getting any points for it. You won't win large tournaments with them anymore, but you can still win locals with ~3-4 rounds.

I've been painting up smaller ships anyway. I have the T-70 now and I want to paint something on its wings. Maybe paint a pair of angel wings for the K-wing too.

Orange/Black Poe scheme

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Chill la Chill posted:

Yeah dude, do it! Checkered schemes are great and are good technical paint jobs but I never enjoyed them.

I considered it but right now I think everyone's gonna be doing that. So I'll try to think up of a cool way to remix the scheme but use the same colors. I'm actually considered doing a sleek orange on black graffiti scheme if I can manage it.

Fine, orange and black General Lee scheme

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Played a round of "let's unpack and use ALL THE NEWLY DELIVERED SHIPS" last night. Not really min-maxing lists, just goofing around trying new things.
I flew a rogue Boba Fett, with a TIE formation of Night Beast, Mauler, and Carnor Jax.
Wife flew a Blue Squadron Novice with a T70, Chewbacca with Luke and PTL, and Jake Farrell.

My thought was to have Boba Fett soak up shots from Chewbacca while the TIE formation chased fighters. If I could take a target of opportunity shot with Boba Fett on the fighters, even better.

Carnor Jax got wiped in the second combat phase by an unfortunate crit from focused fire by the A Wing and X Wing. The combined volume of fire from the three TIEs (with Mauler at range 1 rolling 4 dice) took down all the shields on both fighters. The next turn brought the TIEs within range 1 of the Falcon, which took down those shields too. Falcon was pretty ineffective most of the game, due to not remembering to use PTL and Luke's gunner ability. :blush:

I was pretty happy at how I was able to fly and position the TIEs in formation with minimal bumping or positioning goofs (except when I nearly flew Boba Fett out of bounds).

This game is a good time. Any recommendations for interesting scenario play from any of the following? :Both core sets, both ace packs, TIE advanced pack, Millenium Falcon and Slave 1 packs.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Had another fun kitchen table game last night. Didn't max it at 100 points because we didn't want to stay up too late. Not min/maxing the lists, and this is the 4th or 5th game we've played so we're still getting familiar with the concepts.

A-Wing Prototype Pilot / Keyan Farlander w/ PTL / T70 Blue Ace = 76 points
Darth Vader w/ Squad leader / Tetran Cowall / TIE/fo Omega Ace = 75 points

I played the Rebel list.
Things I learned:
Imperial side had PS advantage AND initiative due to points. So each turn Darth Vader/Tetran/Omega Ace were all moving last and shooting first, which was really nasty from a positioning/arc dodging perspective with Darth Vader handing out boosts and barrel rolls to his buds. My opponent was also effectively using those boosts and rolls to position behind obstacles, which was pretty clever. I also got surprised with a 1 distance K-turn from Tetran while I was pursuing him with the A Wing.

The PS2 A-Wing was pretty much useless in that list. Only rolling 2 red dice against 3 targets with a natural 3 agility was not very helpful.
The game ended with Blue Ace being clobbered by a range 1 attack after a turning/positioning battle against Vader and Tetran. Both of them were without shields, and with 2 hull damage. It was really close all the way to the end, which made for a good time. Close games (regardless of who wins) makes it more likely that my wife will have fun and thus continue to enjoy playing together :v:

I think the Rebel list would have benefited more from bumping the points up to 100 and thus being more competitive on pilot skill.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Archenteron posted:

Initiative breaks all ties for whoever Xs first, so the imperials with the same PS as your guys would move first

Really?
So the move order when Imperials have initiative would be:
PS2 AWing, PS5 XWing, PS7 TIE/fo, PS7 TIE/Int, PS7 BWing, PS9 TIE/Adv
Instead of:
PS2 AWing, PS5 XWing, PS7 BWing, PS7 TIE/fo, PS7 TIE/Int, PS9 TIE/Adv?

Welp, that may have made my BWing survive a bit longer.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I've seen First Order Special Forces TIE toys, with a red stripe painted on. Those will surely show up in a future expansion along with the Black/orange T70s.

I expect that every named character who ever touches a lightsaber will end up as a named pilot in a new ship.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Xenomrph posted:

Let any pilot fly any ship (since the physical ship stats (weapons, evade, shields, etc) are static regardless of pilot, and the pilot carries with them their pilot skill # and special ability.

I know of at least one exception: The Outer Rim smuggler pilot card for the YT 1300 has lower ship stats than the named pilots.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Xenomrph posted:

Guilty as charged. :sigh:

I'd just like to get "expansions for expansions" that don't involve buying minis I don't need. It just seems like a really obvious product to make, and easy to implement.

Oh well, I'll keep buying minis.

Other things to do with minis you don't need:
Give them to your niece/nephew
String them up hanging from your car's mirror
Mail them to me

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qP2T_zy_Hdo

Too bad that thing wasn't successful (who could have guessed?!)
That would be an elegant way to manage movement templates (especially between obstacles) and add precision.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Ran Chewbacca + Falcon title + R2D2, Poe + BB8, and Keyan + PTL vs.
Darth Vader + Squad leader, Omega Ace + Opportunist, Krassis + HLC

Would have been smart to put Merc Copilot on Krassis (since I had the space anyway)

I have such a hard time keeping B-Wings alive. My opponent was wisely keeping distance from Chewbacca, and taking range 3 potshots with the HLC.
It came down to a grind with just a shieldless Vader and a 1 hull Krassis chasing Chewbacca around. A low PS pancake moving first meant that I was often blocking Vader's movements and keeping him from using his actions. It was somewhat of a stalemate and would have been a grind if we played it through. We ended up calling the game after Krassis ended a K-turn with a teeny corner off the mat.

I'm really just cargo-culting Keyan and haven't really made good use of him in the 2 games I've played. What are the good tactics here? Should I be taking different upgrades or crew/droids?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I just realized that I have been measuring range all wrong. I was measuring from the post on the ship's base rather than the edge of the base (within the arc). :saddowns:

• Locked thread