Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
smashthedean
Jul 10, 2006

Don't let dogs get any part of fish.
Anyone know of a live stream of the big event thing today?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smashthedean
Jul 10, 2006

Hubis posted:

... So probably $80-85 on Miniature Market, or as much as you'll probably spend on a 100-point Squadron? It's steep for the initial outlay, but it doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

I think it's all going to come down to what the expansions end up costing, but with 300 points being the tournament standard it won't take too many purchases above the base set, especially once ISDs and Mon Cal Cruisers come out, to get a force on the table. Also, Coolstuffinc is usually 30% off so $70 for the starter isn't bad, but I'll personally probably shell out the full $100 to support my local shop.

smashthedean
Jul 10, 2006

Just got a close look at the IG-2000's stats in FFG's recap video and holy poo poo that thing is 3/3(!)/4/4 with boost and evade. That is crazy!

smashthedean
Jul 10, 2006

Considering that the Aces boxes are $30 and have two $15 ships in them, I don't see why a $40 set that has three $15 ships and eight new pilot cards for two other ships in them is a bad deal.

smashthedean
Jul 10, 2006

Strobe posted:

At 3/3/4/4 I'd be surprised if they were less than 35. 3 Agility is a lot for a big ship.

True, but being a big ship isn't really a benefit. I do still think they'll all be higher than 33 though.

I did some more squinting and figured out the following:

PS7 Z95: When attacking, if there are no friendly ships at range 1-2(?), add 1 additional attack die.

Bodyguard (EPT): At the start of the combat phase you may spend a focus token to choose a friendly ship at range 1 with higher pilot skill than you. Increase its ability value by 1 until the end of the round.

smashthedean fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Aug 17, 2014

smashthedean
Jul 10, 2006

That was a really good interview and it's pretty refreshing to know that the lead game designers seem to understand the game and its meta quite a bit.

On the Advanced, my money is still on it being included with an Imperial huge ship.

smashthedean
Jul 10, 2006

Strobe posted:

How are they going to do that with a 1-skill Z-95, though? We already have a 2-skill for 12 points. Unless that Illicit upgrade slot is a game-changer, I don't see how it's worth an entire point by itself even when not being used.

Well the 12 point Z is something of a steal at PS2 so I could see just putting the PS1 guy with illicit capabilities at 12 and it being balanced within the Scum faction.

smashthedean
Jul 10, 2006

I did! I used Chewie in a tournament today and went 2-0 to win (only 4 people showed up). I ran:

45 - Chewbacca + Predator
43 - Corran Horn + Veteran Instincts + Advanced Sensors + R2-D2
12 - Bandit Squadron Pilot

smashthedean
Jul 10, 2006

Poopy Palpy posted:

I'd say the HWK is more usable than the TIE Advanced, but that might be just because I expected more from the latter.

I'd say that's definitely true, especially with Roark Garnet being a badass against Phantoms and TIE Advanced being a giant waste of points against everything.

smashthedean
Jul 10, 2006

Chill la Chill posted:

Oh boy is this leading to another falcon whine? Reminder that you need to use 60+ points to even make a competitive falcon that only puts out 3-4 shots/turn.

Do people really spend that much on Falcons competitively?? I've had a ton of success with my 45 point Chewie with Predator. If I had C3P0 I might bump it up to 48, but 60+ is way too much.

smashthedean
Jul 10, 2006

I don't know, I feel like with focus plus Predator, I'm pretty solid on getting all or nearly all hits most of the time, even against PS3+, it's pretty great. I think the biggest mistake people can make in list building is spending too much on upgrades over more ships so sure a 60 point Falcon might be great, but having 15 more points for another Z or Chardaan A or upgrades for other ships just seems smarter to me.

That said, I am having good luck with a Whisper + Oicunn two-man squad so who knows.

smashthedean
Jul 10, 2006

Chill la Chill posted:

Right. Whisper and baron Fel usually have a protective focus and evade that must be stripped first. However, if the larger meta switches to big ships with 2 evade at most, I think it'll be safe to drop gunner from Han.

I guess it always depends on the rest of the list too. My Chewie list is:

[45] Chewbacca + Predator
[43] Corran Horn + Veteran Instincts + Advanced Sensors + R2-D2
[12] Bandit Squadron Pilot

PS10 Advanced Sensor Corran is pretty good at nailing down Phantoms and the combo of his shot before the cloak, Chewie's shot, and potentially a followup shot in the end phase is often enough to take care of business. Fel is a lot of the same and even more fragile to boot. The thing with those elite Imperial lists is that they often aren't fielding a lot of ships these days either so if you have multiple ships that can focus fire a Phantom, especially if some of them shoot before the cloak, they are manageable.

A list I'm looking forward to trying out once Rebel Aces hits is:

[45] Chewbacca + Predator
[30] Blue Squadron Pilot + Fire Control System + E2 Mod + Gunner
[25] Roark Garnet + Ion Cannon Turret + Nien Nunb

The idea would be that enemies would have either a PS12 Gunner FCS B-Wing or a Focused Predator Falcon shooting at them before a cloak every turn in addition to potentially having the Ion Turret messing them up further. I haven't had a chance to try this one out yet, but it seems pretty sound in my head.

smashthedean
Jul 10, 2006

Focus is the best choice if you don't know where you're shooting because it's so versatile
Target Lock is the best choice when you know who you're shooting because you might end up getting to keep it until next round
Evade is the best choice when you really don't want to die or know you won't have a shot

smashthedean
Jul 10, 2006

Heading to my first out of town tournament today and I'm thinking I'll bring

[44] Whisper + VI + FCS + Gunner + Advanced Cloak
[37] Soontir Fel + PtL + Stealth + Royal Guard + Shield
[18] Scimitar Squadron Pilot + Seismic Charges

I know I'm spending a lot on the two elite pilots, but I really wanted the decked out Whisper and at least a 33 point Soontir with PtL and Stealth, but that left me a weird 23 points to fit something in at. Rather than take crappy baby Interceptor or one of the named Fighters, I figured a cheap Bomber and a more survivable Soontir would be a better idea. I could have always done a Lambda, but they aren't really my style and I don't want to copy the Nationals winner list too closely. Wish me luck!

smashthedean
Jul 10, 2006

I won 3-0! I can post battle reports anyone is interested, but the short version is that Soontir and Whisper were unkillable death machines. I think the most damage either of them took was 1 shield lost off Whisper in game 2.

smashthedean
Jul 10, 2006

Merry Christmas TIE Advanced!

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=5274

smashthedean
Jul 10, 2006

I've been thinking of what to do with TIE Advanceds (that's a weird plural) all day and am feeling like 21 point Tempests with free Accuracy Correctors might be a good way to go. That way you could evade every turn and still be guaranteed 2 hits per ship. I'd want to combo these with a high damage ship like a Phantom so maybe a 37 point Whisper with VI and ACD and 3x21 point Tempests? Sounds fun to me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smashthedean
Jul 10, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Is there any reason to have two Phantoms? Got an extra for Xmas.

I've run a list with both Whisper and Echo and enjoyed it.

• Locked thread