Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

LowellDND posted:

If you want to keep 3/vehicle (and 1/bike), you'll need 972 more :D

I'm sure there are more than 972 enemies of the Emperor on this planet. :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Deadmeat5150 posted:

You call that a Battletech army list? Provide weapons dats, dangit! How many flamers per platoon? Don't hey have krak grenades? What the hell is a Trojan?

Heh. As I go along, Ill prolly name everyone down to the lieutenants.

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Trojan

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Oh the Mules, ok. Why do we have those? Those are primarily used to haul artillery around.

Which reminds me we need artillery.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Woo! We've broken 4000 posts. In retrospect...

Page 25: you had just met the gang leaders in the Deeps
Page 50: quint and tanya had just been introduced
Page 75: we were meeting kozilek for the first time

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Oh the Mules, ok. Why do we have those? Those are primarily used to haul artillery around.

Which reminds me we need artillery.

Your unit looted everything that came to hand. This is the rough organization imposed on it with a loose doctrine, and some if it is more coherent then others.

Now that you know what you have, you can start trading out vehicles to other officers, decide how you want to focus your build.

Currently, you are using Trojans to move ammo and such.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Last 25 pages have gone super-fast, it feels like just yesterday that we were thinking about whether or not to murder to the obvious Inquisitors that had tracked down our hideout.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

JT Jag posted:

Last 25 pages have gone super-fast, it feels like just yesterday that we were thinking about whether or not to murder to the obvious Inquisitors that had tracked down our hideout.

Hilariously, it was ten days ago :D

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Deadmeat5150 posted:

You've nailed the lower ranks down hard. Especially the avoiding working parties part. :v:

Ah, just saw this. Yeah, I was a Cpl in the USMC, I learned well how to hide and slide :v:

(For the curious, I started a 0311, switched to 0231, saw Fallujah in 2006)

A
B x x x
C x x x x
B/C x
D x
BCD x
E

Loel fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Feb 10, 2015

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

Deadmeat5150 posted:

What the hell is a Trojan?

something you'll never need
:smugdog:

AmyL
Aug 8, 2013

Black Thursday was a disaster, plain and simple.
We lost too many good people, too many planes.
We can't let that kind of tragedy happen again.

LowellDND posted:

So this is just me being spergy. I like reading army lists (I grew up on Battletech), so here’s a list. Its not vital to the story, just something Ill use for my resources. Your ranks are very deflated still, as everyone is promoted past their training. These aren't vehicles right out of the factory, either, they are salvaged and held together by tape.

Not spergy enough. Please include org charts, lines flowing from the org charts and boxes. :colbert:

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

something you'll never need
:smugdog:

:redass:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Eh, I figure the Trojans will be important for keeping us from relying on other commands to remain supplied. The only real question is if 36 of the things is enough to keep us in beans and bullets.

Also C. I want us to knock the task the Magos set us out of the park really quickly, so we can focus on maybe actually winning the drat war (and show up Limosa).

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

AmyL posted:

Not spergy enough. Please include org charts, lines flowing from the org charts and boxes. :colbert:

In haiku form, if possible. We're classy ladies.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

AmyL posted:

don't forget DFAS forms, in triplicate

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I want yearly and quarterly budgets, an accounting of actual revenues and expenditures, and explanations for all material variances between them! This operation will be properly planned and fiscally sound! :colbert:

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

paragon1 posted:

I want yearly and quarterly budgets, an accounting of actual revenues and expenditures, and explanations for all material variances between them! This operation will be properly planned and fiscally sound! :colbert:

Please. You are both an army and a member of a Trader family. Everything is funded by theft.

Including all the soldiers and weapon systems. You started this project by stealing a city :colbert:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

LowellDND posted:

Please. You are both an army and a member of a Trader family. Everything is funded by theft.

Including all the soldiers and weapon systems. You started this project by stealing a city :colbert:

That's called paid-in capital, and accounting for it is super important. Don't think you can get away with not keeping the books straight just because we have unconventional cash flows and revenue streams, mister man. :colbert:

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

paragon1 posted:

That's called paid-in capital, and accounting for it is super important. Don't think you can get away with not keeping the books straight just because we have unconventional cash flows and revenue streams, mister man. :colbert:

The planet the records were kept on got eaten by nids. :colbert:

-

So I have two miniarcs left on the planet, and I’m not sure which one I want to emphasize first. While I’m mulling it over, I figured Id do some SoLs

Slice of Life XIX

The Family, in it’s entirety, is outnumbered about 200:1 by the inhabitants of the ship they reign over. While the idea of taking the bridge is implausible - control of the bridge means that any rebellion can be spaced before it becomes too troublesome - not every problem can be solved with a mass spacing. For one, having a small city in the belly of the Beast means that two divisions of mercenaries can be maintained for essentially free. Lord-Sire pays the mercenaries, mercenaries pay the Dregs for services, and the Dregs pay Lord-Sire for food. Those divisions means Lord-Sire can crush some colony or raid an alien city or whatever he feels inclined to do. So one can’t space the rebellious Deeps without affecting the bottom line.

In day to day affairs, the Dregs are managed by the Gangs. A Triad of organizations that fight as much as much as they work together, they seem to be the obvious choice to manage any such rebellion. However, past experience has shown that if rebellion is to occur, it usually starts with them. The Gangs are a large organized force used to violence and familiar with the layout of the ship. Even worse, they draw their numbers from the populace they are supposed to police. This means that instead of knocking heads in the name of the Lord-Sire, they are often sympathetic to the causes of the Dregs.

How did past Lord-Sires manage this thorny problem?

Quite simply, they created a separate warrior caste. Variously called the Wardens, the Grey Guard, the Greycloaks, Butchers, or those Bastards, they are the personal house troops of the Family. They are kept in separate parts of the ship from the Dregs, taught a separate language (High Gothic), and are given a quality of life above (most) the Gangs, if below the officer class. They are told of their importance, their special traits that allowed them to be selected as Greycloaks, and occasionally commit atrocities to maintain their cohesion. This means they will never be welcomed by the Dregs, instead having to band together against a hostile world.

This has the added effect of proving the propaganda that they are given as soon as they can talk, that the Dregs are always on the verge of rebellion, that they are always ready to attack the Greycloaks, and that a firm hand is necessary. Even the softest member of the Family believes in the authoritarian hierarchy to some extent, but to the Greycloaks, it is their life. While they aren’t Adeptus Astartes - they are still human, prone to recreation - that recreation tends to take the form of violence or physical pursuits. Small sections of the ship are devoted to the Greycloaks, letting them eat, sleep, and train in isolation away from the people they watch.

In general, Greycloaks only go among the Deeps as a show of force, dealing with riots or shooting troublemakers. Occasionally, they might conscript a child they find worthwhile - someone who looks stronger or more violent than their peers. This is ideally done between the ages of three and six, when the language can still be replaced. The transition from child of Dregs to cadet of Greycloaks is grueling, and not all survive. The ones who try to remember their old family do worst - the best ones are the ones who forget as soon as they can.

The training is quite good, comparable to the Schola Progenium in many ways. In particular, loyalty to the Family, combat skill, and unit cohesion are emphasized. This can take the form of weapon familiarity, a strong understanding of how and why the ship is, or even more esoteric skills. Weapons favored by the Greycloaks include immolators, power swords, and other terror weapons. Given that the ship hasn’t been boarded in generations, older skills such as skinsuits, vacuum fighting, or other such things have been left to the wayside (and picked up by the Tribes).

While rare, some Greycloaks leverage their class into a marriage into the Ship’s Officer caste, with their children becoming members of the Family. In this way, the blood is kept vibrant.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

When you say "the Family is outnumbered 200:1", does that count the entirety of the "Family power structure" including the Grey Guards and other people who are in the Family's pocket/employ or just members of the officer caste with some amount of Family blood? Because if so drat the Lord-Sire gets around.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

JT Jag posted:

When you say "the Family is outnumbered 200:1", does that count the entirety of the "Family power structure" including the Grey Guards and other people who are in the Family's pocket/employ or just members of the officer caste with some amount of Family blood? Because if so drat the Lord-Sire gets around.

Not the Grey Guards (unless they marry in), but the whole extended Family. My notes have about a thousand Family of the blood, which includes the whole mess of cousins.

The vast majority of those are Ship's Officers, which Ill detail probably later today.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
The Imperium's nobility generally has a bad case of Charles syndrome.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

LowellDND posted:

The planet the records were kept on got eaten by nids. :colbert:

Don't worry, your records can be reconstructed with your past tax returns and the screams of the damned. :getin:

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

my dad posted:

The Imperium's nobility generally has a bad case of Charle's syndrome.

Quite so. To try to avoid that, 'Vibrant' people, or ones with good skill sets, get married into the Family.

Every important post has to be an officer (who has to be Family) so if you are good enough, you are legitimized by marriage.

Still, its possible its not working enough. You have the 'bad blood' trait, and you and Amacita look close enough that planet bound confuse the two of you.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

my dad posted:

The Imperium's nobility generally has a bad case of Charles syndrome.

We should encourage more Family marriage with the Grey Guards. Or whatever we replace the Grey Guards with in the event we become the Rogue Trader. Maybe by then we'll be able to permanently headquarter an Imperial Guard division on the ship. It'd make for a hell of a security force when we aren't toting them from planet to planet.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

JT Jag posted:

We should encourage more Family marriage with the Grey Guards. Or whatever we replace the Grey Guards with in the event we become the Rogue Trader. Maybe by then we'll be able to permanently headquarter an Imperial Guard division on the ship. It'd make for a hell of a security force when we aren't toting them from planet to planet.

Storywise, Im betting on the Krieg, although they aren't good at talking.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

LowellDND posted:

So this is just me being spergy. I like reading army lists (I grew up on Battletech), so here’s a list. Its not vital to the story, just something Ill use for my resources. Your ranks are very deflated still, as everyone is promoted past their training. These aren't vehicles right out of the factory, either, they are salvaged and held together by tape.

Kill the meat, save the metal! :black101:

Man, can you imagine what the ship tribes would do if a company of Krieg started making themselves at home?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

LowellDND posted:

After a generation of being with us and siring little Kriegs who are raised on-ship, maybe they'll loosen up a smidge.

Just a smidge though, don't want them to lose their charm entirely.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

LowellDND posted:

Nah, we don't want to replace the Grey Guards with IG unless they stop being officially IG. You do not want your enforcers to have divided loyalties, even if those loyalties are to someone you serve.

Ohone's backstory is that she's the child of someone who joined through marriage, right?

That's one of the reasons she started out as about as low on the totem pole as you can be and still be considered Family.

Does Ohhone actually have an official designation, job, or title on the Beast?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

paragon1 posted:

Nah, we don't want to replace the Grey Guards with IG unless they stop being officially IG. You do not want your enforcers to have divided loyalties, even if those loyalties are to someone you serve.
I'm sure that, given enough good service (on the surface because we're tight with the Imperial Guard, though actually we'd be getting this because we're an Inquisitor) we could requisition a unit to be permanently stationed on the Beast of Trall Traal with no specific duties, to be used as we see fit with us as their commanding officer. Which would be more or less the same thing as them being decommissioned. Though in that case we could get IG reinforcements if we wanted.

It'd have to be a Rogue Trader acquisition roll, for sure, not something automatic. But if we wait long enough and accumulate enough favors, we might be able to swing it.

JT Jag fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Feb 10, 2015

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

paragon1 posted:

Ohone's backstory is that she's the child of someone who joined through marriage, right?

That's one of the reasons she started out as about as low on the totem pole as you can be and still be considered Family.

Does Ohhone actually have an official designation, job, or title on the Beast?

She's an Emissary - she's a high level player who works directly for the Lord-SIre.

I don't actually know who her parents were. I may need to explore that.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

JT Jag posted:

I'm sure that, given enough good service (on the surface because we're tight with the Imperial Guard, though actually we'd be getting this because we're an Inquisitor) we could requisition a unit to be permanently stationed on the Beast of Trall Traal with no specific duties, to be used as we see fit with us as their commanding officer. Which would be more or less the same thing as them being decommissioned. Though in that case we could get IG reinforcements if we wanted.

It'd have to be a Rogue Trader acquisition roll, for sure, not something automatic. But if we wait long enough and accumulate enough favors, we might be able to swing it.

It'd probably be a step up for most Guard regiments, too, seeing how the Guard usually just attrits regiments down to nothing instead of decommissioning them. At least on the Beast, they'd have a chance of enjoying something like retirement.

The only problem is that we're dealing with Kriegers, who don't seem like they'd handle the concept of "retirement" well. Then again, they probably won't complain too much about being stationed wherever, either. Net null?

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
When a one and a zero love each other very much...

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Shadeoses posted:

When a one and a zero love each other very much...

Can't you just picture Ohone trying to teach the Kriegers the facts of life :allears:

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Slice of Life XX

The core group of the Family - the middle class, if you will - are members who can trace back their lineage centuries, if not millennia. They are born into the Ship’s Officer class, and that is the job they will do their entire life. This might be operating a Cogitator on the bridge, running fire calculations, or it might be ordering Dregs on their tasks aboard ship. Regardless, though, there is essentially no social advancement. You start a Ship’s Officer, and you die a Ship’s Officer.

(Some Lord-Sires have dabbled with making it hereditary, but after an unfortunate docking explosion this was decided against. Instead, children find something they enjoy/are good at, and stick with it.)

The reason for the lack of social advancement is, to put it in a word - they are loving weird.

Not only do they stay aboard ship their entire lives - often in a handful of rooms - all their ancestors did too. It means that while they have an incredible awareness of ship life (and the social implications of knowing who’s grandaunt slept with who), they have no idea how to deal with outsiders. This role, instead, is given to the new blood. A disdainful term, something that could mean a person whose family was married in even ten generations ago.

The fact of the matter is, all jobs of importance have to be managed by Ship’s Officers. And sometimes, you find a Dreg (or, rarely, someone from outside the ship) who is so good at it, they need to do the job. To maintain the law, they are married into the Family, and are legitimized by it. They are now Family, which means they can be an Officer.

Their children, though, aren’t really ready for the life that is the bulk of the Family. Snubbed from birth, they couldn’t make it into the byzantine politics if they tried, so by long tradition, the children of ‘outside marriages’ are kept on the outside. What this means is that they are assigned careers by the Lord-Sire at a very young age. Often this is by affinity, but sometimes it is by the politics of the parents in question - some have more influence than others. And if they want baby to be a Tech-Priest, then a Tech-Priest she shall be.

And so, by marrying into the Family, your children are taken away at a young age, and trained for decades offship. This might be as an Adept, or a Soldier, or a Pilot, or whatever the Lord-Sire thinks will be needed a decade down the line. When they return, they are the ones who form the outer layer so the ‘real’ Family never has to deal with the planetbound. They have the social skills and understanding of what the outside world is like, and they are the ones who protect the Officers from it.

Most of them … never really go anywhere. Lord-Sire puts them through their paces, but most people don’t have the gift for high level play. They do the grunt work that is so necessary aboard a starship the size of a city, but it is often invisible and often thankless. It’s not a bad life, all told - you see a lot of worlds, and you see the fringes of the grandeur that is a Rogue-Trader - but you’ll never make it higher.

However, a handful - maybe the top ten percent - manage to be flexible enough to be active troubleshooters. This can differ on the person, but in general, its someone who is adaptable, good at leadership, quick, and willing to show a certain ruthlessness. The competition is fierce and occasionally fatal, because if you are good enough, if you are quick and sneaky enough, you can leap past the ‘outside Family’, past the ‘Ship’s Officers’, and you can go to Court.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
How often does someone from outside the direct family bloodline become Rogue Trader? 25% of the time? Less?

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

VanSandman posted:

How often does someone from outside the direct family bloodline become Rogue Trader? 25% of the time? Less?

Depends on which lovely Black Library author you read

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Would it be feasible for Ohone to create a branch of the family of her own? She's a tech priest so who knows what parts she's had replaced, and what parts that haven't been replaced yet she wants gone. And she's also, you know, a she, so it's not so easy as just storing some genetic material that you can inject somewhere later. She's resourceful though so she'd probably keep track of her former fleshy parts if she felt she could use them in some way down the line (or if she thought they could be used against her).

Or is this just not really a big deal amongst voidborn nobility?

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

LowellDND posted:

If you want to keep 3/vehicle (and 1/bike), you'll need 972 more :D

We'll pick up more skulls on the way :black101:

VanSandman posted:

It depends. The warrants are hereditary but Rogue Traders are pretty much privateers/pirates who try to get away with as much poo poo as possible without getting caught. I'm pretty sure anyone ambitious, skilled and lucky enough should be able to claw their way into the Rogue Trader's chair even if they're not directly related.

mepstein73
Sep 18, 2012

Whether or not you find your own way, you're bound to find some way. If you happen to find my way, please return it, as it was lost years ago. I imagine by now it's quite rusty.
I still hold out hope for Ohone finding love in the chaos of service to the Omnissiah. Valentine's Day is coming, after all, and we're getting in touch with our more empathetic human side lately...

Haven't talked with Matthais in a while since he was hunting Devries... Did he miss our private tech lessons? :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Anyone who impresses a powerful enough Imperial can become a rogue trader. The administratum, ad mech, inquisition, ecclesiarchy, all can grant you a warrant.