Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Tomn posted:

You know, I always thought the names for the Inquisitor sects seemed a bit odd and baroque, and I only really just now realized that their naming scheme is basically WH40K's take on early Christian schisms - Monophysites, Miaphysites, iconoclasts, and all that other literally Byzantine squabbling over minutiae.

Goes well with all the Eastern Orthodox architecture, too.

A x x x
B x
C
B/C x
D x x x x x, x x x x x, x x x x x, x x x x x, x
D/A x
D/B x x x x
E

For purposes of this vote, the Binder is still in your labs aboard ship. Im assuming you don’t want to spend the 3-4 days it would take to get it.

D is massively, massively in the lead, as most people here will suffer a xeno to live. You heretics.

I have outlines for 3 of the locations, so I suppose Ill start writing the Bridge some point tonite.

Loel fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Feb 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Arkanomen posted:

We are of the machine. Thoughts of ego and pride and cowardice are not in the equation. We cannot allow the adversary to gain even a single inch or a single soul. This machine is temptation in its purest form. The devil will not approach with a handful of feces, but a golden banquet of the greatest magnitude. What we lack in material the Omnissiah will provide. Our goal, above all else, is the protection and advancement of the imperium of man, so it follows that that exact temptation is what the ruinous powers would bait us with. There will be another ship, untainted and pure when the God Emperor wills us to find one. Pity those that trust in reason and would put themselves before the Emperor. Their only reward is a wretched death. Intolerance and zeal are the mark of the faithful. Put this heresy to the flame and faith in the emperor to gain the greatest reward of all. He who dares to preserve this abomination will know only treachery and retribution. The Emperor provides, gain will not be found in the taint of the xeno and the heretic.

Considering the possible gains, the possibility of the loss of a few souls is well within acceptable parameters. We have no reason to believe that there are more ships like this. The fact that we find it now is already a miracle of the Omnissiah. The Omnissiah provides. He has provided us the tools to repair. And see, he has provided the object to repair. To turn our back on it, to reject the challenge that is before us and destroy, rather than redeem these sacred things is unacceptably wasteful. Our goal is the advancement of the Emperor. If we let our fear of the ruinous powers deny the Imperium the power and knowledge this represents, we play in their hand. Is this a trap? Potentially. But an objective risk assessment will show that the possible gains well outweigh the possible losses. Which is merely our souls, as well as a few million others.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

Shogeton posted:

Considering the possible gains, the possibility of the loss of a few souls is well within acceptable parameters. We have no reason to believe that there are more ships like this. The fact that we find it now is already a miracle of the Omnissiah. The Omnissiah provides. He has provided us the tools to repair. And see, he has provided the object to repair. To turn our back on it, to reject the challenge that is before us and destroy, rather than redeem these sacred things is unacceptably wasteful. Our goal is the advancement of the Emperor. If we let our fear of the ruinous powers deny the Imperium the power and knowledge this represents, we play in their hand. Is this a trap? Potentially. But an objective risk assessment will show that the possible gains well outweigh the possible losses. Which is merely our souls, as well as a few million others.

Compromise is akin to treachery. How many souls would you toss into damnation for a single step forward? The power of the Imperium comes not from the barrel of a gun or the mouth of a factory but from the will of billions upon billions of faithful souls. Your logic is reasonable but reason is the first step to heresy. There is but only one action warrented when presented with suc foulness. Purge the unclean. Put it to the purification of flame and zeal and if anything remains, it does so by the will of the Omnissiah. Then we will know what is to be saved. Fear is the domain of the animal, faith and zeal will preserve our silicon soul this day. We are not required to think, only to act. There are no user serviceable parts inside. The machine spirit is corrupted. Press enter to format drive.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

LowellDND posted:

For purposes of this vote, the Binder is still in your labs aboard ship. Im assuming you don’t want to spend the 3-4 days it would take to get it.
No way we can use it remotely? It is more or less a matter of software, after all.

If not, we'll just have to get this thing into space as best we can, and work on repairs with the aid of the binder in orbit. I bet all this tyranid infestation wouldn't handle vacuum in the corridors too well, anyway, so that's be a good way to start.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

LowellDND posted:

most people here will suffer a xeno to live.

You never specified for how long :colbert:

I'm down with cleansing the ship once we figure out what's going on.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Ralith posted:

No way we can use it remotely? It is more or less a matter of software, after all.

I think Ill lean towards no, at least right now. Its ~1500 kilometers away right now, several of which are stone or steel.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Huh, I always assumed us stealing the Binder was all just flavor text explaining us taking a level. I had no idea we stole a thing just for kicks.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

paragon1 posted:

Huh, I always assumed us stealing the Binder was all just flavor text explaining us taking a level. I had no idea we stole a thing just for kicks.

Who Dares, Wins :v:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Wins what!?!?

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

paragon1 posted:

Wins what!?!?

A brand new car ship!

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

paragon1 posted:

Wins what!?!?

Your reward is destruction and damnation heretic. Omnisaah preserve us.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

A You are all filthy xeno loving heretics.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
We'll kill them, just not right now. We need more information so that we can purge the xenos without damaging irreplaceable holy relics in the process!

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Arkanomen posted:

Always with 'Omnissiah preserve us', think of someone else than ourselves. We are one cog in the beautiful machine that is the Imperium. A good cog, of rare make and skill. But if we fail, the Machine will continue. What we could do here might improve the Imperium manyfold. It is worth it.

Arkanomen posted:

Compromise is akin to treachery. How many souls would you toss into damnation for a single step forward? The power of the Imperium comes not from the barrel of a gun or the mouth of a factory but from the will of billions upon billions of faithful souls. Your logic is reasonable but reason is the first step to heresy. There is but only one action warrented when presented with suc foulness. Purge the unclean. Put it to the purification of flame and zeal and if anything remains, it does so by the will of the Omnissiah. Then we will know what is to be saved. Fear is the domain of the animal, faith and zeal will preserve our silicon soul this day. We are not required to think, only to act. There are no user serviceable parts inside. The machine spirit is corrupted. Press enter to format drive.

Our own ship has faced corruption by a demon. Do you suggest we 'purge' it as well. Kill everyone from the servitors up to the Lord Sire, just to make sure nothing was taken? Do we perhaps burn this planet to cinders as well? The whole Sektor maybe?

To never compromise is the luxury of the dreg, the 'established' Family member, the lower class Hive worker. They need not make important decisions, so they need never compromise. We are not one of them. Our position requires that we make a gain/risk with objectivity and yes, reason. The first Cat was corrupted, and there was very little it could benefit us and much it could cost us, thus we purged it. When Woodhouse was corrupted, he offered us substantive benefit, but not enough to tolerate the risks involved, so we purged him.This machine is a risk, like the cat was, like Woodhouse was. Yet the benefits greatly outweigh the risks. Much like we don't destroy the Beast, even though it too has suffered corruption.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Enjoy your corruption points daemon worshipper.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
What we're dealing with now are xenos, not daemons. In fact, they actually separate the material world from the warp further. If we could somehow replicate and control that effect, it could be an excellent tool against chaos.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Waci posted:

We'll kill them, just not right now. We need more information so that we can purge the xenos without damaging irreplaceable holy relics in the process!

This is my plan, yeah.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Waci posted:

But...what if that's how they GET you?! :tinfoil:

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

VanSandman posted:

This is my plan, yeah.

Yours, mine, and a bunch of other people's. It's just the hasty lot that would risk breaking something valuable.

They already had a plenty of opportunities to kill us.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Waci posted:

What we're dealing with now are xenos, not daemons. In fact, they actually separate the material world from the warp further. If we could somehow replicate and control that effect, it could be an excellent tool against chaos.

I was talking to Shogeton about not wanting to purge the Traal :v:.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Each of our actions should be considered killing them, or rather a giant rite of purification that has to be carried out in sequence.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Arkanomen posted:

hey screw you buddy, i voted B.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Todays music is Tactical Sekt

Its okay, you can trust us. We’re friends.

You gestured surreptitiously. Hold fire. Deception in progress. The Kriegers shifted uneasily, still ready to fire at the slightest signal. But it looked like they would obey. And the Sub-sixers, well, they’d seen you through a lot of things. They would follow your lead. Tanya was looking at them with undisguised fascination, although that might just be her thinking on the best way to take them apart.

You rather hoped it wasn’t the other reason, that she viewed them as kin.

Well, start like you plan to go on. “Progress report.” Your voice was a command, and demanded obedience. The genestealers seemed to speak among themselves, a language of gestures and glances, and then one stepped forward, no different from the rest. Its voice was a croak, shaping unfamilar syllables. You could see far too many teeth, sharp and incisor. The cheeks spread a bit, revealing mutated jaws, meant for tearing raw meat.

“Welcome aboard ma’am. Progress on the Olympus is following schedule. We are about 5% operational, with an initial focus on the void shields. There was that incident,” the xeno looked at you meaningfully, “so we felt that should be prioritized. We’re having to remove a lot of the original materials, so we’re using a hybrid biological/ferromancy design. You probably saw the adjustments to the life support on your way in.”

You frowned. “Is it space worthy?”
The genestealer made a regretful motion. “Sadly no. The original engines - we don’t understand them, franky. We’re having to grow our own, and that will take a number of decades.”
“It it otherwise ready for vacuum?”
The genestealers looked at each other. “Closer to yes than no, but we’d prefer a few more years to lock everything down. Its a big ship, and if we miss something…” They made an exploding motion. “Very bad.”

They glanced at you. “Your predecessor wanted a tour before they made any decisions. Can we show you how we’ve progressed?”

What do you do now?
A. Progress. WITH FIRE.
B. Weapon systems.
C. Engines.
D. Factory bay.
E. Somewhere else.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Let's take a look at those Engines. B

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

A burn it dooooown!

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
C. Yuck. I can only imagine the extent of our revulsion. Not just cleansing this whole thing immediately with fire is a huge sacrifice.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
What the hell is this thing? That sure as hell isn't a Tyranid mind.

D will be the most important. It contains the facilities we need if we want to restore this thing to anything like its original condition

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
D - Factory bay. It might hold the secrets of how this all started.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
A I had a really crazy idea where we would fire it all up and crash it into the trall but it looks like we can't do that. PURGE TIME

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Guys, even if you want to purge all this, we should understand exactly what is going on first. If nothing else that will enable us to purge far more thoroughly and with lower casualties.

We should also personally inspect the original engines before taking action. Maybe we can get them working where these minds, whatever they are, couldn't?

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
C/E. Can we inspect the engines, including what remains of the old ones? We can Project Orion this thing up to the Beast and bring it with us when we need to bail, but we kinda want to make sure the void shields and life support will have power. We will purge the xenos when we have gotten the information we can out fo them, and these things might actually be xenos bodies controlled by the ship, rather than proper tyranids controlled by the Hive Mind or a genestealer patriarch.

Waci fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Feb 20, 2015

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

C Let's see if we can get those engines working.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.
A, burn it, burn it all, why aren't you people listening to Arkanomen and burning it already

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

A x x x
B x
C x x
D x x
E
C/E x

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Serpentis posted:

A, burn it, burn it all, why aren't you people listening to Arkanomen and burning it already

Because, to put it bluntly, we should start our burning from the BRAIN of this thing, or at the very least, the womb. And until we find one of them, we're just wasting our time, flamethrower fuel, soldiers, and possibly our life.

Sour Blossom
Apr 21, 2005
L O L 6 6
E Grand(but speedy) tour.

They'll probably want to show off for us if they think we're're actually above them in their chain of command, so this will take us to the places they're proudest of making progress on. Hopefully they'll also be the most informative, and they will show us where our troops can actually do the most damage. Either that, or they'll intentionally stall for time because of that incident earlier.

Otherwise, let's start with D. There's bound to be something worth seeing, as horrific as it may be(and as likely as we are to get shot by our Kriegers for not letting them die for us).

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
A thought: We don't need to get this into space ASAP. We just need to keep it safe. And secret.

We don't even need to leave. This can be our home now. Gradually working to restore it to its true glory, making use of these cyber-tyranids for raw manpower until they're no longer needed...

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Ralith posted:

A thought: We don't need to get this into space ASAP. We just need to keep it safe. And secret.

We don't even need to leave. This can be our home now. Gradually working to restore it to its true glory, making use of these cyber-tyranids for raw manpower until they're no longer needed...

Funnily enough, the last Tech-Priest said that too. :v:

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

LowellDND posted:

Funnily enough, the last Tech-Priest said that too.. :v:
Yeah, item #2 on the agenda is "find out what happened to him, and make sure it can't happen to us."

Our definition of "restore the ship" is probably a lot more conservative, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Serpentis posted:

Because hasty and inpatient heretics like you and Arkanomen would risk damaging a holy relic of the Omnissiah of the scale that would launch legions and determine whether a planet gets literally blown into fist sized chunks of molten rock or not just because you're afraid of doing things properly because it might be slightly inconvenient for you and take a bit longer.