Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Grognan posted:

Disguise our interest with the Library by making a low bid on the arechaeotech

It's a blind auction, and the library is the highlight. There's no need to disguise it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Dog Day 80
Jun 23, 2003

LowellDND posted:

Devries has been running around for a few weeks/months while you were in Trial. So, he decided to liquidate some assets :D

I sure do hate him even more now!

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

RandomPauI posted:

library, mystery box, map in that order

Also add another grievance to "Reasons to Kill Devries, Vol 35."

mepstein73
Sep 18, 2012

Whether or not you find your own way, you're bound to find some way. If you happen to find my way, please return it, as it was lost years ago. I imagine by now it's quite rusty.

Hot Dog Day 80 posted:

I sure do hate him even more now!

Been feeling this way since the second post he appeared in. Hated him in the first, hated more the more I read of him.

Buy the Library obviously, and don't we need a new navigator now that Limosa's dead? Preferably one who is in direct service to us?

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Limosa wasn't a navigator.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

RandomPauI posted:

Now that I know why it's a bad idea Nevermind, we'll get a murderbot from someone else. Maybe the church

We're a Magos now. Let's make our own!

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

mepstein73 posted:

Been feeling this way since the second post he appeared in. Hated him in the first, hated more the more I read of him.

Buy the Library obviously, and don't we need a new navigator now that Limosa's dead? Preferably one who is in direct service to us?

Youve got a whole family of them on board.

Loyal (ish) to Devries at the moment. So that might need addressing.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
Thing about them is that they know they're untouchable. We'd have to actually pick up a new navigator contract like the one up for auction before we even consider punishing them.

Also, I should mention that Lowell pointed out something in IRC I missed. The library auction isn't just space dad's books with additions from Caroline the Sage. It is literally selling Caroline to serve as curator.

Tran fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jun 8, 2015

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Go the historical auction logs of similar items to the library, run a formula to estimate the likely purchase price of the library, and bid double that..

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Tran posted:

Thing about them is that they know they're untouchable. We'd have to actually pick up a new navigator contract like the one up for auction before we even consider punishing them.

Good point! We might not be able to count on our current navigators. Buy the Navigator contract too if we can!

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Bid on the 10,000 soon to be Servitors, good condition, only a little irradiated.

Mr Apollo
Jan 1, 2013
Buy everything, have it charged to Devires.

(Not a real vote)

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Heres what we ended up winning:

Todays music: Temptation by Cradle of Filth

And Sensibility

Devries, Devries, Devries. What a diabolically clever little monster.

Because of course he would set up an estate with your Family’s money, and live the good life while you were in Trial. And of course he would sell off assets, items that had been in your family for generations, or were vital for the day to day running. You would have to check the engines, and see if those he had sold those too.

He acted like your Family was having a fire sale, and everything must be sold.

It was a source of icy fury, that you had to do this. Buy back your things, giving him your money, before you could go to Titan. You had orders from Sol itself, and still he played these little games. These little tricks that held your attention, took your time, forced your move. You determined that he would die here, in this system. He was not particularly dangerous to you or your Dynasty, but he was so infuriating.

You sat in your suite, surrounded by your Retinue and family, and obeyed the dictates of duty.

Not the luxuries of this place, for you or your Kriegs. You ignored the fine drinks, the lavish meals. Instead, you simply applied yourself to the cold calculus of bluffs, feints, escalations, and buy outs. It was a silent blind auction, but that didn’t mean you couldn’t determine someone’s personality from it. When someone hesitated, when someone was ready for just one more push.

It helped that you had so much more money to spend, as well. You didn’t feel like finesse, and when you killed Devries you would get it all back.

The Rak’gol effects were acquired with a brutal efficiency. You weren’t sure when you would have time to investigate them, but it would be a pleasing little reward for yourself. Perhaps your Magos aboard ship would assist you. The box shortly followed, as your math calculated that a massive escalation would force the other buyers out.

You let the other bids continue for a time, let them think you had worn yourself out, and when they were fatigued, you burst forth. A doubling on the navigation maps, and they surrendered to you. The Library, though. That took most of the afternoon, a pleasing game of strategy, first subtle bids, then a sudden leap, and back again. You felt you had the shape of them by the end - avaricious, but also cautious in a pinch.

In the end, you got what you wanted. As was your right.

The other bidders were sullen as they exited into the library. Well, the ones who lost. The spectators were thrilled with the show - while the names were (officially) hidden, it could be its own sport, watching the numbers climb. One figure in particular waited for you, a hideous form. A xeno that looked like a flayed dog. Its hackles were raised.

“Tech-Priest. You are too greedy, by far.” Its voice was a yowl. Disgusting.
“I take what I want, and I want what I take.”
It reached out to grab your cloak, and you pulled away. Its voice continued.
“You still have not paid.”
“Be gone, xeno. I’ve paid more than I should have.”
“Not to us. Tech-Priest.”
“I’ve never met you in my life.” Your Kriegers were restless, clicking safeties off guns. You waved them off. For now.
“You wear our regalia, and have not paid.”
You glanced where it was pointing. “Stryxis implants? They’ve been in my Family for generations.”
“They.” It licked its lips. “They should have been returned. You must pay.”
“Yeah, I really don’t have time for this.” You began walking away.
“Tech-Priest! You affiliate with the unclean! You will pay!”
“The only unclean here is you, xeno. Get him out of here.”

-

I removed one profit factor for the cost of business.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
File the Stryxis away for future dealing-with.

Then begin OPERATION RECLAMATION.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
Good: We've officially marked ourselves as unwilling to trade with the Stryxis.

Bad: The xenos species with a love of creating weapons that destroy the soul are angry with us, and we have their tech implanted in our body.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

ITS PURGE O CLOCK

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Xun posted:

ITS PURGE O CLOCK
This is 40k.

It's always purge o'clock :getin:

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Purging the ship will be easy to write, youve got more than enough resources.

The question is

Do you want to use any of those resources on the asteroid?
Options might include scout teams, regiments or divisions of troops, or literal ship torpedoes.

And do you want to attack at the same time, or after the ship is cleared?

Things to consider: You have 3 regiments of Tunnel Cats and 2 Divisions of Space Kriegers. The Tribes give you access to the Ship's guns, so you can use them to fire.
You don't own the asteroid, you are just renting, so if you use excessive force, you'll get a large bill.

Proceed with the questions :D

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

Leave our men with a battle plan and orders to purge the ship. They've likely been planning for this for months now anyway, so I expect they won't need much direct oversight.

Personally hit the asteroid with our retinue. Tanya, Matthias, Fabiyan, ect. I want to show DeVries that even at the basic level he and his band of disgusting mutants are outclassed.

Mr Apollo
Jan 1, 2013
Blow the asteroid up using our ship's weapons. Have it coincide with the ship based purge. Have the inquisitor that is getting a ride with us use his authority and take the blame for the asteroid's destruction. If the company complains send them a bill for services rendered.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Are there mafia personelle guarding it currently? Could we hack the defenses to look online? Most of all would it be rude to not inform the Mafia that we were purging Devries for his various indiscretions?

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Don't piss off the mob. A lone inquisitor doesn't have the influence to get away with it either. Plan Tran.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

RandomPauI posted:

Are there mafia personelle guarding it currently? Could we hack the defenses to look online? Most of all would it be rude to not inform the Mafia that we were purging Devries for his various indiscretions?

No. Yes. Only if you do property damage. What you do with your people is your business.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
What happens if we use our elite hacking skills to shut off all resources to Devrie's asteroid, then send a small scout team to blow the chains holding it to the rest of Footfall? Let's find out!

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Devries might try to use Amatica as a human shield, or try drugging her up with something so she depends on him to stay alive, or any number of things.

Can we have a medical team on standby that could handle anything that might happen to Amatica? Ideally one that can put her through a detox?

Edit: Don't forget our soul sister is probably on the asteroid

Edit 2: This might also be a trap. Devries might be expecting us to hit the asteroid now that he's returned.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Deadmeat5150 posted:

What happens if we use our elite hacking skills to shut off all resources to Devrie's asteroid, then send a small scout team to blow the chains holding it to the rest of Footfall? Let's find out!

This would be expensive, even by rogue trader standards. Just go in and capture him.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Waci posted:

This would be expensive, even by rogue trader standards. Just go in and capture him.

We have to show off our Flash! Excessive displays of disregard for wealth in a show of power is a very long tradition in human cultures. Huge beaten copper disks of uncountable wealth but very long histories were sometimes destroyed during the elaborate feasts held by the Native Americans in present day Washington and British Columbia.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Plan Tran This is personal. Bring a company of Kriegers for meatshields and body guards. Get security codes to shut down defenses. Apologize and pay for the bullet holes.

Grognan fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jun 8, 2015

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

Plan Tran: Hit both at the same time.

Use our Tech skills to take control of the asteroid's systems. Coordinate with the Magos to take control of the Beast more easily. Also, make sure to give the Mafia a heads up and maybe some incentive to make sure Devries and his cronies definitely don't make it out / haven't already fled 2 hours ago.

Hot Dog Day 80
Jun 23, 2003
Has to be personal, has to be slow. None of this nuke them from orbit poo poo.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
We need to make better use of our mechadendrites.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Does the compound have cameras? Lets monitor the camera feeds to make sure Devries is there.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

RandomPauI posted:

Does the compound have cameras? Lets monitor the camera feeds to make sure Devries is there.

Youll need to send a scout team/go yourself to find out.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I don't like the sound of this, it feels like a trap. When was the compound rented out?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

RandomPauI posted:

I don't like the sound of this, it feels like a trap. When was the compound rented out?

Sometime after you arrived for the Trial, so ... couple weeks or months?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

We can't just hack the estate from planetside? We're a Magos!

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Have the results of the trial been made public? What happened to the people Saidwell sent to the ship?

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

Are we going to be taking any precautions to make sure Devries hasn't already fled? He's been around for months making connections and selling our stuff for spending money (plus he has more clones than Doom), so it's not as though he won't have some safe houses and friends to help him out. Also, we don't really have an answer for what to do about his artifact. Best case is Amancita snags it and runs off, but that isn't really a reliable solution.

Selling Devries and his artifact to the Stryxis could be fun, but I think we burned that bridge. Lowell, do we have any psyker contacts we could use / inquire with Ed or Lyn about? Just how much have we learned about the artifact anyway?

Edit: That is, do we know enough to make a solid countermeasure against it or make some murder servitors capable of seeing through it?

ElrondHubbard fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jun 8, 2015

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Of course it's a trap. That's why you bring excessive firepower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Go after Devries with our retinue I guess. IM MAD THAT HES STILL ALIVE

Also when can we get some cool assasins from officio assasinarium