Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Okay fine - changing vote to STAY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

Grognan posted:

We are the Inquisition, This is what we were meant to do. Plumb the depths of darkness and set it all on fire.

Some members of the Inquisition find other people to do that for them while living long enough to take all the credit. I really don't remember at what point Ohone went from wheeling and dealing tech priest plus bff of Athena to loyal and faithful servant of God Emperor prepared to martyr herself in His name. We should just stick to martyring other people.

wiegieman posted:

Stay.

The Night Lords are the worst traitor legion. gently caress these guys.

The average chaos space marine would be a tough fight. A chaos space marine that appreciates ambush tactics could wreck our poo poo. A bunch of them and we have a party.

Send in some sacrifices. If there are Night Lords there, torpedo the poo poo out of that asteroid.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

VanSandman posted:

If Devries somehow woke up the Darkness he probably was already skinned alive by it, since the Darkness is undoubtedly a euphemism for occupation by the Night Lords - whose home planet, I remind you, was in perpetual night. If there are Night Lords aboard our ship, going to Terra will undoubtedly help us cleanse them, seeing as we'll have access to the Grey Knights, but it will also likely play into the hands of the Night Lords puppetmasters, the Thousand Sons, who saw this whole affair coming years ago due to Tzeentch's favor. They're probably trying to infiltrate the Sol system, but going against the most paranoid fleet in the Galaxy is stupid, so they needed a written invitation - which we now have. Basically we have stowaways of the worst kind on the Beast. We should probably ask for a psychic inspection of the Beast when we get to Titan.

Oh and this whole hotel trap is exactly what a Night Lord would pull. Sensory deprivation is one of their favorite tactics. Can we still feel fear? If so, that's a problem.

Now what I'd do if I was a Thousand Son would be to hop off the Beast when we translate back into Sol realspace, probably somewhere around the Oort Cloud, find a bigass comet, attach a mass reaction engine to it, and use the mass of the comet as fuel to push the whole thing to near light-speed in the direction of Terra or Mars. If it works, they kill the Imperium; if it fails, they kill a huge spaceship that has to act as a shield between the comet and it's target. Either way, a good gamble, especially if the Thousand Sons open a warp portal out of there once they get the whole comet thing set up.

:allears:

current score is 12:14

proceed x x x x x, x x x x x, x x
waci
xun
tran
kegslayer
deadmeat5150
nyaa
wentley
grognan
althair
wiegieman
dog kisser

leave x x x x x, x x x x x, x x x x
paragon1
there bias two
mr apollo
sniper
LCT
my dad
rahul
oasx
ceramic shot
go RV
hiho chirho
elrond
max hush
arkanomen

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Don't give Lowell ideas, guys

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

I just appreciate 12th dimensional chess! :3:

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Stay, but don't lead We are not getting beaten by the Empty Fort strategy

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

my dad posted:

Don't give Lowell ideas, guys

I will never stop.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
I really want to just leave because this is just a massive timesink and we have a battle for the beast to lead/win, but as someone pointed out on IRC we are here anyway. If it was meant to waste our time it already has so might as well go through with it.

Voting stay.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Stay.

Still think this is going to end with Devries proving to have gone mad. Besides, now I'm all curious about what's in here.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

14:14, and right before the deadline? Alright, Ill give some more flavor text, have you advance a bit further. Standby.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
FFS GTFO

Refusal to retreat gets people killed.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Luminosity

Two individuals, sickly, probably not aware of your approach. All security and electronic systems shut down, torn out of the walls. Your team wasn’t panicking, they were professionals, but you could all feel the weirdness of it. Was it a bluff? Show how weak they were, to make you think they were strong? Or a double bluff, to draw you in further? … Or a triple bluff, to make you leave?

Playing the game with Devries was always an exercise in frustration. His goals were easy enough - he wanted ‘more.’ His methods were routine in form if not substance. ‘Misdirect, then jab.’ He was always playing the metagame to whatever you were doing. You thought you were doing an ambush, but the ambush was for an expendable clone. So what was it here?

Possibility one: It was a time sink. Much like the Auction, it forced you to spend time and money, focusing your attention elsewhere, while he focused on his real objective. That might be winning the battle aboard ship - gaining the guns and blasting the estate you were on had a certain elegance that had his style. Given your radio silence, it was impossible to tell how the battle was going.

Possibility two: It was also a trap. You hadn’t seen any sign of reinforcements, nor did you think you had been noticed. However, given the xeno-artifact, anything was possible - he might have a squad or two of troops hidden away. No problem if they were human, but if they were Chaos Space Marines, that would be a problem. They might serve the Darkness, or be soulless servants, invisible to your electronic gaze.

Possibility three: He was actually going insane due to the stress. He had been showing similar symptoms as the records said about the Darkness, which suggested their influence. Or, perhaps, he had simply had one too many mixers. Perhaps the Magos had poisoned him, or any number of things. He was wearing his body down with drugs, you knew.

You needed information. You cursed the lack of servoskulls - they were too loud and visible to bring here. Instead, Tanya and Megabyte were sent forward, quietly noting what they saw. You were still maintaining radio silence, meaning you had to stay in this (now prepared and barricaded) room, but the waiting was unpleasant.

A short time later, they returned, carrying images from pict takers. As they descended into the depths, they saw increased signs of madness. Furniture broken or destroyed. The walls torn at, as if by a beast. Wild ranting, phrases from the Uplifting Infantryman’s Primer. And in the distance, chanting. They didn’t get close enough to determine what.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Demonic ritual. DAMNIT

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Chanting is never good. Let's GTFO.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Looks like we have some CHAOS to purge!

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

VanSandman posted:

Chanting is never good. Let's GTFO.

Too late. We are of Ordo Malleus now.

EN AVAAAANT! :black101:

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

Did the voices sound like they originated from a bunch of malnourished cultists or ten foot tall walking battle tanks?

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Yeah, this isn't a cunning plan. Devries has just gone nuts and isn't thinking rationally any more.

Unfortunately, he's gone dangerously nuts. He may not have a cunning plan, but it looks like he's on the verge of unleashing a great deal of power. We can't afford the time to bug out, load the torpedoes, and order them to be fired before he's done with whatever he's doing here. But we do have good combat troops, an Inquisitorial seal, enough weaponry to destroy a regiment, and the blessings of the Emperor.

Time to become a Hero of Footfall and earn our Inquisitorial stripes, ladies and gentlemen. This is what we're paid for.

Tomn fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jun 8, 2015

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Tomn posted:

Yeah, this isn't a cunning plan. Devries has just gone nuts and isn't thinking rationally any more.

Unfortunately, he's gone dangerously nuts. He may not have a cunning plan, but it looks like he's on the verge of unleashing a great deal of power. We can't afford the time to bug out, load the torpedoes, and order them to be fired because he's done with whatever he's doing here. But we do have good combat troops, an Inquisitorial seal, enough weaponry to destroy a regiment, and the blessings of the Emperor.

Time to become a Hero of Footfall and earn our Inquisitorial stripes, ladies and gentlemen. This is what we're paid for.

EN AVAAAAAANT! :black101:

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

ElrondHubbard posted:

Did the voices sound like they originated from a bunch of malnourished cultists or ten foot tall walking battle tanks?

One malnourished human sized individual. Sometimes two.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

Tomn posted:

Unfortunately, he's gone dangerously nuts. He may not have a cunning plan, but it looks like he's on the verge of unleashing a great deal of power. We can't afford the time to bug out, load the torpedoes, and order them to be fired because he's done with whatever he's doing here. But we do have good combat troops, an Inquisitorial seal, enough weaponry to destroy a regiment, and the blessings of the Emperor.

Depending on the scale and nature of the ritual, we may not have time for all that.

Move quickly, but try to remain unnoticed. Once we have our sights on them, try to kill the leader and then the rest with overwhelming firepower / baleful eye

This may be a trap, including the writing and the random chanting (could be recorded). We should still get to the bottom of it.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

LowellDND posted:

:stare:

Oh. "Emperor, please save me!" kind of chanting.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

my dad posted:

:stare:

Oh. "Emperor, please save me!" kind of chanting.

They might not be calling out to the Emperor. Best to make sure.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

LowellDND posted:

...or of course, I was right the first time and Devries has just plain snapped. He's probably going to have cryptic warnings about the Darkness waiting for us when we find him.

Lowell, did the scouts see any blood anywhere?

Also, can we recognize the handwriting of the scrawls on the wall, at all?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Amacita's totally lost it, hasn't she. Sequestering her away like this is what I'd do if I were Devries.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Tomn posted:

...or of course, I was right the first time and Devries has just plain snapped. He's probably going to have cryptic warnings about the Darkness waiting for us when we find him.

Lowell, did the scouts see any blood anywhere?

Also, can we recognize the handwriting of the scrawls on the wall, at all?

If there was any blood, it wasn't significant. There were a lot of rooms and hallways. No one recognized the handwriting.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

LowellDND posted:

Uh, secondary question: Was the voice male or female sounding?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

dog kisser posted:

Uh, secondary question: Was the voice male or female sounding?

Hard to say. There was some vocal distortion, probably from extremely heavy drug use.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
Pick up the pace, get in there and get to the violence. Record everything for later use. Chanting means a few things in this context. It gives us some ambient noise to cover our approach, it suggests at least some attempt at sorcery, and it provides absolutely damning evidence we can use against his noble allies. If DeVries is caught on camera performing a ritual of the great enemy it's going to make life very uncomfortable for anyone loyal to his cause.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Tran posted:

Pick up the pace, get in there and get to the violence. Record everything for later use. Chanting means a few things in this context. It gives us some ambient noise to cover our approach, it suggests at least some attempt at sorcery, and it provides absolutely damning evidence we can use against his noble allies. If DeVries is caught on camera performing a ritual of the great enemy it's going to make life very uncomfortable for anyone loyal to his cause.

yeah

With the information we have, would there be any point in trying our Logis Prophecy thing? How long would that take?

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

Plan Tran

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

I think Logis Prophecy takes ten minutes, so probably not a great idea.

By the way, while I don't object to anything Plan Tran is doing I find the assumption that there'll be anything left of Devries worth politicking over when all is said and done to be hilarious. Either we're about to murder the gently caress out of him, or he'll become an out-and-out servant of Chaos, or he'll be a babbling vegetable, or some combination of the above. Either way, he's not going to be eligible for a leadership position aboard the Beast any more.

Edit: Mind, it'll be real useful for totally torpedoing any holdout supporters, so again, I don't object to it. I just find the assumption behind it funny.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
It's not for his sake, it's to bring absolute finality to the standoff on the Beast. Right now they're using the pretense that DeVries is a rightful heir as rogue trader to maintain their power and position. If we very dramatically reveal him to be an agent of the Enemy that ties them to him by association. It weakens them enough to give us complete control over their fates, something that they're going to be painfully aware of.

Edit: To clarify, even if he's dead or paraded in chains they could still use the political fiction that we are the illegitimate ruler who took the throne by force. Tying him to the enemy marks them as tainted by proxy, which gives us absolute control over their very continued existence.

Tran fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jun 8, 2015

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
Also! Charging in makes for a cooler story.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

Tomn posted:

I think Logis Prophecy takes ten minutes, so probably not a great idea.

By the way, while I don't object to anything Plan Tran is doing I find the assumption that there'll be anything left of Devries worth politicking over when all is said and done to be hilarious. Either we're about to murder the gently caress out of him, or he'll become an out-and-out servant of Chaos, or he'll be a babbling vegetable, or some combination of the above. Either way, he's not going to be eligible for a leadership position aboard the Beast any more.

Edit: Mind, it'll be real useful for totally torpedoing any holdout supporters, so again, I don't object to it. I just find the assumption behind it funny.

The uppity Alphadeckers who figured they'd get a better deal out of Devries can be thoroughly put in their place under our metal boot using evidence of him being involved with the Ruinous Powers (assuming we find any). The fact they stabbed us in the back once means they'll do it again unless we have something to threaten them with, like being spaced for associating with heretics.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Amacita probably is the trap/bomb.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Tomn posted:

Yep. Plan Tran.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
wait, do inquisitors actually get paid?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Just cuz this is our. ..4th, I think? showdown with Devries, I made a plan and hexed it so I can prove it was the real plan if someone calls shenanigans next week.

8a9b39564a0e6b476c59e76538388944c54520e7

Fairs fair :D

Loel fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jun 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

paragon1 posted:

wait, do inquisitors actually get paid?

They get paid in the warm glow of knowing that they have served Emperor and Imperium.

Also I imagine they get to freely confiscate the property of any heretics they burn, so, y'know, that's a plus. As long as it's not all so corrupt that you can't even touch it without going mad.