Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Arkanomen posted:

Future, and for fucks sake wrap it before you tap it, Xeno-Lover

Also yeah, gently caress with time (or close the time loop) and make Limosa alive.

Don't warn him about his death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Grognan posted:

"Future. Devries, tell Limosa when and how you kill him so he can fake his own death."

Yess

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
"DeVries poisoned both glasses.
No wait, needs to be simpler, easier to remember. Party drink, gas, poison...mouth?
The tooth! Remember the tooth!"

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
Also stop leaving our friends undefended, we've lost enough people already

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Now that we have caught up with the box can we please crush DeVries brain before he uses limosa yo set some plan in motion in the past?

Ralith posted:

Also stop leaving our friends undefended, we've lost enough people already

This too. I know we're unhinged but don't be stupid.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Tell him the plan and have limosa stop you from walking into that bomb.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Oh my god, don't try and resurrect Limosa just because the option is there.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
We can recruit him! He hasn't been turned against us by Siadwell yet, we would both gain a valuable ally AND deny our enemy one!

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Go RV! posted:

Oh my god, don't try and resurrect Limosa just because the option is there.
He is family, and we never wanted him dead in the first place.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Nyaa posted:

Tell him the plan and have limosa stop you from walking into that bomb.

Give him a time-locked message detailing what happens a week before the nuke, make a plan where he sends illusions of our retinue instead of the real ones. Kidnap or convince the Retinue work with this plan with personal messages

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Waci posted:

We can recruit him! He hasn't been turned against us by Siadwell yet, we would both gain a valuable ally AND deny our enemy one!

In the best case.

In the worst case, he turns us in to Siadwell as soon as he recognizes us on the Beast, as we're competition that he's seen IN THE ARMOR. As I remember, he wasn't exactly the nicest guy around to start with.

Who the gently caress knows what that would to do the timeline.

That said, I'm not entirely sure how this whole thing works in 40k, but we've already been warned that it's goddamnit awful.

Don't play with the cursed monkey paw, guys. For real.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

fake death x x x x x, x x
don’t warn death x
undo galahad x
kill devries x
undo nuke x x

:D

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Without telling him, put Devries' voice on a five-second delay, and review it ourselves before playing it aloud over his speakers. This should keep us safe from hostile timefuckery.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Supported.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Ralith posted:

Without telling him, put Devries' voice on a five-second delay, and review it ourselves before playing it aloud over his speakers. This should keep us safe from hostile timefuckery.

This is a good plan.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

I take back any and all disappointment I've had with this the past week. This is 40k as gently caress right here and I love it.

Vote to warn Limosa

:munch:

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

How old is this Limosa?

Do we have the ability to create the equivalent of a sealed letter? If we're going to try and fix things (still a bad idea, for the record), a Back-to-the-Future-type plan where we get a letter telling us not to be a cocky gently caress-up during the build up to the mission is probably going to be the least disruptive.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Warn him. I was actually starting to respect him before he got killed.

Go RV! posted:

Do we have the ability to create the equivalent of a sealed letter? If we're going to try and fix things (still a bad idea, for the record), a Back-to-the-Future-type plan where we get a letter telling us not to be a cocky gently caress-up during the build up to the mission is probably going to be the least disruptive.
Yeah, if we can have DeVries tell us, then us write it down, and have Limosa not read it until, say, a week before he dies, that'd be for the best.

The_Final_Stand
Nov 2, 2013

So cute and cuddly
This is amazing.

Not even going to try voting, anything and everything could irreparably gently caress up absolutely all things that ever were or will be. Or fast forward us to when we publicly remove the Emperor from life support and upload him into Athena as the culmination of our life's work, leading humanity into a new Silicon Age.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Spaghetti with Thyme

“Future. You met Siadwell yet?”
Limosa’s eyes went opaque. Seemed he got his habit of keeping secrets early, then. You raised your Rosette, and he looked at it, shocked. “An Inquisitor Lord-Sire?”
“And Magos.”
His mouth moved wordlessly. “Your time must be a very strange place.”
“You have no idea.”
Limosa paused. “How far ahead are you?”
You ignored that. “So you’ve met Siadwell.”
“Yes, he wants me to listen and watch.”
“Right. You do a great job. But here’s the thing. You get killed.”

Limosa swallowed, stiffened. “How much time do I have?”
“Not enough. We’ve decided to change that.”
“The Inquisition?”
“And the Family. We lose… a lot.”
“How bad do things get?”
You thought of Fabiyan. “Bad.”
He nodded, seeming to grow stronger. “What do you need me to do?”

“Devries, tell him how you kill him.” You wrote in a delay, just in case. Wouldn’t do for him to pass along other messages. Fortunately, he spoke immediately and on topic.
“At the victory ceremony on Golgotha, after the parades, I kill you with an aerosol spray of Krieg SLUDGE. You die within seconds.”
Limosa stared at Devries with unconcealed dislike. “You? I die to a servitor?”
Devries snorted. “Your Lord-Sire here stuffed me in this box because I’m the most dangerous mind she’s ever met. Believe me, the moment I’m out of here…”
“Silence, Devries.” He subsided. You glanced back at Limosa. “So here’s what you are going to do. Upon landing on Golgotha, you are to find Captain Devries of the Nallani. Make whatever deal you have to, but get a replicant from him. Send that to die at the ceremony.”
Limosa glared. “Replicants are halfway to heresy.”
“You are in the Webways. Care to explain that?”
“Ah… no, Inquisitor. I will obey.”
“drat right you will. After you fake your death, return to the Beast. Make sure to coordinate with Devries, he’ll have something for you to remain hidden. Do not participate in any politics, do not reveal yourself. Only return after we set course for Holy Terra. Follow all that?”
“On Golgotha, find Captain Devries. Get Replicant. Fake my death. Work with Devries to conceal myself. Exit only after we head for Terra.”

You paused. Turned to Devries. “You knew he was alive, and helped concealed? And didn’t say anything?”
Devries laughed uproariously. “Yes, by the God-Emperor, yes. You should have seen your face. For months, you’ve been on trial for his death and I’ve been taking over, and he was alive all along.”
“And you didn’t tell me, even in the brainbox?”
“I am compelled to answer your questions, not things you haven’t asked.” He still continued to laugh. “Oh, gods. This was a magical adventure. This makes it all worth it.”

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

LowellDND posted:

You paused. Turned to Devries. “You knew he was alive, and helped concealed? And didn’t say anything?”
Devries laughed uproariously. “Yes, by the God-Emperor, yes. You should have seen your face. For months, you’ve been on trial for his death and I’ve been taking over, and he was alive all along.”
“And you didn’t tell me, even in the brainbox?”
“I am compelled to answer your questions, not things you haven’t asked.” He still continued to laugh. “Oh, gods. This was a magical adventure. This makes it all worth it.”
:master:

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
:getin:

"Oh, Limosa? Regarding heresy... That's your son." Then leave and carry on with our mission.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Waci posted:

:getin:

"Oh, Limosa? Regarding heresy... That's your son." Then leave and carry on with our mission.
Don't say this. Limosa knows his own predilections perfectly well, there's nothing to be gained here by revealing that we know them too.

Focus on getting as quickly as possible to our exit point.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Ralith posted:

Don't say this. Limosa knows his own predilections perfectly well, there's nothing to be gained here by revealing that we know them too.

Consider where we're having this conversation and whether that implies something about whether we know he's into elf chicks.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

grab devries and save husbando!

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Waci posted:

Consider where we're having this conversation and whether that implies something about whether we know he's into elf chicks.
Sure, but even turning a good guess into a certainty is a pointless information leak. Best not to be arrogant.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Wait. Couldn't we just leave a message with Limosa to trigger when we get out of our Trial?

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Xun posted:

grab devries and save husbando!

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Wait. Couldn't we just leave a message with Limosa to trigger when we get out of our Trial?

Some things must happen. The nuke is one of them. Seriously, this stuff get complicated and if you think abotu it too hard you wake up in a ditch with pasta sauce everywhere, get in IRC if you want to risk parmesan.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

that leaves him open to pursue political shenanigans one we are cleared.

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

This is :psyboom: as all hell, and it is great.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

I hate temporal loops.

Grouchy Fish
Aug 24, 2006
So what I'm getting is we basically need to pull a chrono trigger with our peeps?

mepstein73
Sep 18, 2012

Whether or not you find your own way, you're bound to find some way. If you happen to find my way, please return it, as it was lost years ago. I imagine by now it's quite rusty.

Ralith posted:

Agreed. We need to save Fabian & Co. Also, I'd be interested in helping get Galahad on our side, even if his father isn't. Could prove useful to have a Psyker who's both family AND indebted to us for saving his father. So don't tell Limosa about him. Depending on time, he may already have been born.

e: Also, at some point we need to sit down and learn Galahad's full story. I'm interested which side of his heritage he associates with more...

mepstein73 fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jun 12, 2015

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

This is loving insane and amazing.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Mechanicus and Athena are going to go apeshit when if tell them we figured out time fuckery.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Wouldn't make assumptions about what is and is not beyond Athena.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

southpaugh posted:

This is loving insane and amazing.

Agreed, I can't believe people wanted to not do this.

Back to saving Husbando!

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The Necrons can manipulate time, a strong AI can probably figure it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Galahad just watched us save his father's life. Dude is gunna be crazy loyal.

Idea for saving our retinue: Everyone was in full vacuum suits and communicating with krieger hand gestures in radio silence. This means we might be able to get away with substituting same-sized kriegers in for them, who would be pleased by the opportunity to die for us. This could be done right before leaving for the trip, or if there's no opportunity to make the switch in a way past-Ohone wouldn't notice, we could send the Kriegers in equivalent stealth with orders and suitable authorization to make the switch (trading gear as necessary) at the asteroid while we're distracted by taking point. Might even be able to to switch people around mid-transit. If we're going back in time, we could even mediate this and provide authorization ourselves (and maybe end up being to blame for the suicide Commissar being alert enough to notice us in the first place, perhaps by using radio to instruct people to make the switch).