Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Numeron
Mar 23, 2012

A whole new world in
the palm of my hand.
Isn't the other magos a dude?

Also, I quite like the other magos - even though there was supposed to be this trinity of power thing, (s)he never actually seemed interested in taking over the beast. I imagine doing so would be a distraction from the important research into cybernetic enhancements for the Rak'gol corpse we bought at that auction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
The thinking is that our magos is the Kiera mentioned in the golgotha tyranid-hybrid's personal correspondence. There's no clear evidence either way, but given that said heretek went to golgotha in secret there are only so many people that would have known her whereabouts.

Edit:

TheParadigm posted:

Keep in mind this is the same magos who was trying to deliberately make people sick with a side effect of 'oh hey you have an ork problem now'.

Alternatively, the rak'gol at the wasn't actually dead and this is a rescue operation. They had to have come from somewhere. A boarding vessel around would be bad news.

They weren't people, they were penal legionnaires. They're literally intended to die in combat so that they can atone for their crimes. In our particular case, the crimes were mutation and aiding the great enemy. They got off lightly. As for the ork problem, that was an intentional and clever secondary weapon. Penal drop troops that spawn ork infestations would be wonderful for strategic raids in enemy territory.

Tran fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jun 25, 2015

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Keep in mind this is the same magos who was trying to deliberately make people sick with a side effect of 'oh hey you have an ork problem now'.

Alternatively, the rak'gol at the wasn't actually dead and this is a rescue operation. They had to have come from somewhere. A boarding vessel around would be bad news.

Numeron
Mar 23, 2012

A whole new world in
the palm of my hand.
Well with the orks that's what I'm talking about - The magos has no ambitions beyond being a reckless experimenter. The current situation may well be the magos fault, but it doesn't seem in character for it to have a specific intent behind it.

Good call on the Rak'gol rescue party - Maybe the screaming is acting as a beacon?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Numeron posted:

Well with the orks that's what I'm talking about - The magos has no ambitions beyond being a reckless experimenter. The current situation may well be the magos fault, but it doesn't seem in character for it to have a specific intent behind it.

Good call on the Rak'gol rescue party - Maybe the screaming is acting as a beacon?

We'll have ample opportunity to figure out what happened once he's in a brain box. If it turns out he's not guilty of this particular thing, we can grow him a new body. Like maybe a glow cat or space bunny or something harmless, but something he can call his own.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Todays music: Kiss the Sky by Shawn Lee’s Ping Pong Orchestra.

Had a severe PTSD flashback, took a bunch of downers, slept for 36 hours. Im okay now though.

Don’t Leave

Bones cracked and organs compressed into jelly under the feet of your power armor. You glanced at Fabiyan, both of you encased in the most powerful defenses you owned. Your radio crackled to him.
“I don’t like this. It’s Footfall all over again.”
He paused. “Seen any ghost Tech-Priests warning us to stay away?”
“No, all my skulls have been irradiated. And I can’t access the wall cameras.”
“They been torn out?”
“No, just severely firewalled.”
He pushed a stack of bodies blocking the doorway, which slumped over lifelessly. “Completely different.”
“What if there’s another fusion bomb? The xenos have used four.”
His visor turned to look at you. “They probably would have used it by now. We pushed them nearly to the engines, destroyed all their servitors and Skitarii. You saw the reports from the Iron Hands - the xeno are damaging the structure of the ship, but nothing vital to its running.”
“You think… what, they want to negotiate?”
“I think they want to walk away with a living ship.”
“That’s not like Rak’gol.”
“Not like what we’ve seen of Rak’gol. If they were stealing ships in addition to massacring crews, how would we know?”
You saw movement through shredded walls, opened up with Hurricane Bolters. The wall wilted like leaves in a gale, the xeno behind it turning to giblets.
“What do you think? Rak’gol Murder Servitors, or Rak’gol with Mechanicus backing?”
You pushed the corpse with your foot. “Hard to say. How many troops do we have left?”
The sound of gunfire and explosions had become so common it was unnoticeable. Fabiyan listened for a moment. “I want to say several dozen. Maybe couple hundred.”
“Bad.”
“Only if they fail.”
You stared at him wordlessly for a moment, and then nodded.
“Looks like their resistance is fading, too. We’re almost walking through these rooms.”
“Wading, maybe.”
“Pretend I laughed there.”
“Of course.”

The next chamber opened up - walls filled to the brim with cryogenic pods. Dozens upon dozens of Tech-Priests, from Acolyte all the way to Tech-Deacon. You glanced through them for Matthias, but didn’t see them. Astonishingly, damage to the structure was minimal. You looked back at Fabiyan.
“What do you think?”
“It’s odd. They might all have been quarantined for the duration, kept safe from whatever is going around. What is strange is that this room hasn’t been contested. No skitarii defending. No Krieger attacking. Most every other room has.”
“Maybe they’ve run out of troops.”
“Wouldn’t that be a thing.”
“How’s our side doing?”
“Mopping up, I think. Very few murder-servitors or Skitarii left.”
“So what is left?”
“The Rak’gol, I guess. And whatever started the quarantine. The Screamer. Maybe the Magos.”
“I really hope they haven’t gone full heretek.”
“Yeah. Fighting Dark Mechanicus can give you nightmares.”
“Worse than Tyranids?”
He paused thoughtfully. “Probably, yeah.”
“Eugh. Hope they are bunkered somewhere then.”
“Why have all their troops attack us then?”
“Well, we did breach the quarantine.”
“Still haven’t found the Screamer. Grotesque, where is it?”
He sneezed bloodily, waved vaguely.
“Lot of help you are. Let’s secure the engines, that we can dig the Magos out of their hole.”
“Works for me.”

Slowly, the dribs and drabs of Krieger fireteams made their way forward to a central location, outside the engine chamber. A paltry two hundred, 10% survivors, and nearly all injured. They looked at you impassively, waiting for further orders. More loyal than servitors, they were.
You gestured, and a team opened the main gates overlooking the engines. A vast chamber, ancient technologies whirling with alien light. Walking on the surfaces of the engines, dozens of Rak’gol walked like wasps on their nest.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Changed plan disregard this post.

Waci fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jun 25, 2015

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

Wonderful. If we miss, we drill the engines, meanwhile they have a solid line on us. At least they were nice enough to leave us some tech priests to help clean up the mess.

LowellDND posted:

Had a severe PTSD flashback, took a bunch of downers, slept for 36 hours. Im okay now though.[/i]

That sounds pretty rough. Best wishes, buddy.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

ElrondHubbard posted:

Wonderful. If we miss, we drill the engines, meanwhile they have a solid line on us. At least they were nice enough to leave us some tech priests to help clean up the mess.

That sounds pretty rough. Best wishes, buddy.

Thanks ^^ Twas pretty wild.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
Smoke and flashbangs, charge to melee and take them on in close quarters. It'll be bloody, but we can't risk the engines.

Waci posted:

Minimize collateral damage. Purge the xenos.

Alright, alright. We'll risk the engines a little.

New plan! Last one, promise! Leave Fabiyan behind with the relic and instructions to use it. It probably won't do any serious damage to the engines, certainly less than stray weapons fire would. As Rak'Gol have a thing for augmetics it'll mess with 'em as well. We'll be forging on ahead with Stinky to find the screamer. Fabiyan and co can catch up when they're free. Let's be a big drat hero.

Tran fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jun 25, 2015

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Using the Relic near the engines might lead to some bad things. Let's hit the Screamer and use the psykers to clean the engine department.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Didn't realise we had the option of completely going around these things and still reaching the screamer. Go for the screamer, clear the engines with Edourd afterwards.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

Let's file a noise complaint

The Screamer has been the priority since the beginning and whatever's going on, they're at the center of it.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Grognan posted:

Using the Relic near the engines might lead to some bad things. Let's hit the Screamer and use the psykers to clean the engine department.

Seconded

Edit: I would like us to consider the possibility of maybe, possibly, giving the blank a soul as a reward. Preferably the soul locked in the soul stone. I can see no way this can go right wrong.

Edit 2: The IRC people have very kindly explained that yes, it's possible, but no it's a bad idea. The worst kind of heresy, might create a demon, upset the elder, etc.

Edit 3: The IRC people are not letting the matter go, now they are calling me dumb. #madgod is a cutthroat channel.

RandomPauI fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jun 25, 2015

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Music: Kiss the Stars by Diva Destruction, followed by Sisters of Mercy: More

The Stars are Right

A sullen silence had settled over the ship. After days of the most brutal fighting it had seen in generations, there was simply the dead. Room after room, deck after deck, dozens of thousands of humans and dozens of thousands of xenos lay dead, wrapped in each others arms, knives in each others’ throats. They floated lazily, drifting on the gravity currents, and the few places that still held atmosphere were filling with the miasma of rot.

There wasn’t really a single chamber that had been unaffected, as both sides had attempted flanking and breaching attacks from under, around, or from the void. Parts of the Space Hulk might have been a warship once, but that was long ago - and it had taken four fusion hull breaches in the last few hours. Here and there, under the deepest bunkers, wrapped with the most thorough defenses of Krieg and Xeno, survivors huddled, nursed their rations. Waited for something to happen.

Some parts of the ship still ran. The recyclers still processed nutrient feeds, even as the Iron Hands endlessly tossed bodies into the vats. The pipes connected to scattered spigots across the ship, and the leaks and drips of protein fell on the dead, or floated in the zero gravity. The engines still ran, although there were few astropaths or navigators to tell the ship where to go. A ghost ship, in a ghost world.

For whatever reason, the Cathedral had fared well. A few tens of thousands of Drusians were huddled there, believing their survival the direct intervention of the God-Emperor and Saint Fabiyan. ‘He is still out there’ it was said. ‘He’s still fighting.’ …. ‘He will save us.’ The survivors in the Cathedral huddled about themselves, deep in prayer, deep in mourning. Waited for something to happen.

Outside the engines, the last strike team was moving. Plasma guns punching through walls that had held for centuries, they encountered whatever traps the battlefield had left for them. Murder-servitors, sometimes, or Chrono-Gladiators. Sometimes landmines. The Krieg were slowly wilted down, even as you and Fabiyan worked your way through an endless number of the dead.

The whole ship was holding its breath, as you breached the walls of the Magos’ inner sanctum.

Your Krieger filed in behind you, filling the length of one wall. At the other end, the Magos’ workstation, where they were plugged in. At their feet were crouched like a pack of semi-feral dogs, a dozen Rak’gol. And behind them, behind them, a massive vat, dozens of meters across, full of nutrient fluid and human brains. Your grotesque took one look at it and starting seizuring.

The Magos’ comm was friendly, amiable. <Lord-Sire Ohone. It’s a pleasure.> And something on the edge of your eyes shifted.

Loel fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jun 25, 2015

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Changing my vote. Again.

Waci fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jun 25, 2015

Numeron
Mar 23, 2012

A whole new world in
the palm of my hand.
Ignore greeting, shoot in face.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
"The gently caress do you think you are doing? This has torn the ship apart, money wasted, lives wasted and for what? What possible reason would you have to tear the beast asunder?"

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Say "Do you know how much you cost this ship in repairs and janitorial fees. I certainly hope you are going to clean this mess up.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Grognan posted:

"The gently caress do you think you are doing? This has torn the ship apart, money wasted, lives wasted and for what? What possible reason would you have to tear the beast asunder?"

Grognan posted:

No, no, no, no, no. No talking this time. Shoot first, questions later.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

JT Jag posted:

No, no, no, no, no. No talking this time. Shoot first, questions later.

No, he expects us to do that. Also nothing can hurt the magos through his defenses. Nothing except our one-shot ring.

ONE SHOT RING THE MAGOS AND THE TANK

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
A vat of psyker brains?

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

Yell Amacita's name then toss a canister of sludge toward the blur, not armed for dispersal. Tell her to free the dregs.

I'm guessing here, but it's not a big problem if I'm wrong. The sludge is basically useless against everyone here that isn't in that brain vat.

Edit: Remember folks, we take the obviously amazingly successful Magos alive if possible. If not, salvage the thinky bits.

Tran fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jun 25, 2015

mepstein73
Sep 18, 2012

Whether or not you find your own way, you're bound to find some way. If you happen to find my way, please return it, as it was lost years ago. I imagine by now it's quite rusty.
Brain vat, huh? That reads like something Illithid. I really hope the blur is Amacita, not the Tek'gol...

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Question for Lowell. How many Krieger do we have left?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

I wanna say around 100 in the chamber

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Missed

do this

MY WAIIFUU

Xun fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jun 25, 2015

Subtle Boomerang
Feb 19, 2010

meow

Arkanomen posted:

Say "Do you know how much you cost this ship in repairs and janitorial fees. I certainly hope you are going to clean this mess up.

This

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Numeron posted:

Purge the Unclean :commissar:

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Tranplan plus billing.

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

Numeron posted:

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Shoot the prick.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Kill the magos, trust the kreigers to kill the xenos

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Dont kill the magos when you can make her work for us! Shes a goddamn genius

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I don't think we can realistically make her a brain in a box given how violent this battle will probably be.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Numeron posted:

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's almost a guarantee that she has extensive cortex replacement. Neural augmentation is just part and parcel of rising in the mechanicus. Don't shoot her in the head and we can at least get part of what she knows.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Tran posted:

It's almost a guarantee that she has extensive cortex replacement. Neural augmentation is just part and parcel of rising in the mechanicus. Don't shoot her in the head and we can at least get part of what she knows.
On the other hand, I'm concerned about the things she'll be capable of doing if we leave her alive for any period of time. Like explode the bomb she hid in our body.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

When we do end up fighting, have the troops put five rounds rapid into the screamer brain tanks first thing, then kill the adds, then the boss. But by all means, try and use Amacita first. If things go really south we have a kill all tech panic button.

If we can string this talk out somehow, maybe talk shop standoff style, Amacita might be able to get in range to do something. She does think the magos is basically the devil.

Come to think of it, where did the Magos source those psyker brains? Any psykers of note are on Alpha deck, so they either used extremely dangerous heretek or swept the entire ship population to find latents.

wiegieman fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jun 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grabpot Thundergust
Jul 6, 2010

Numeron posted:

We can't possibly do that! Who'd clear up the mess?

Seriously though, Don't stop shooting him in the face.