Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Don't brain box her

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
The humane thing would be to help mom quit this cult.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Nyaa posted:

The humane thing would be to help mom quit this cult.

There's no room for 'humane' solutions in the grim darkness of the far future.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

into the box with you

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Montage

“Good Evening, Inquisitor.”
You took in the bindings that wrapped your mother, the heretic. Mechanically augmented straps held her to a board, and two servitors were watching her at all times - in addition to the various sensors placed in the room. You were tapped into all of them, and had been for several minutes before entering. Thus far, nothing was amiss.

As you examined the security settings, she continued. “I would like to apologize for the content of my sleeper during the meeting. I am rather pleased you let me live, given its conduct.”
“Day’s still young. Sleeper?”
“Mm. I find that when I expect to encounter telepaths - particularly Inquisitorial telepaths - that having a surface personality can be helpful.”
“So is this the real one, or a sleeper?”
“Real, same as when we first met.”
“I see. So all this talk of Ultramarines, and being raised in a cult…”
“Was the Sleeper, yes.”
“You are aware of how implausible this sounds.”
“Less than a spymaster believing in fallen Primarchs.”
“Point. So you went into a Inquisitorial meeting with a defective Sleeper?”
“Not intentionally. I gave it broad guidelines for what it could talk about, ask about. However, your project with the Olympus broke its parameters. I believe the Mechanicus calls it ‘a blue screen.’
“So when it heard…”
“It went digging through my past, trying to dig up a match.”
“And it came up with a cult-conspiracy?”
“Yes. I’ve found it happens on about one in a hundred missions.”
“What would you do now?”
“Abort the mission. Escape. In this case, write up a new body and Sleeper.”
You gestured. “You haven’t done that yet.”
She shrugged. “I’d rather the Dynasty I’ve served my entire life think me a fool. Or your predecessor a fool, for that matter.”
“So were you raised in this cult?”
“Yes.”
“And they still exist?”
“Yes. They are part of my spy network, as I said.”
“Seems like you are still affiliating with heretics.”
“Inquisitor, are you familiar with the phrase ‘useful idiots’? Many of them are in useful places. By pretending to be in the cult of my childhood, I can get a great deal of information.”
“And how would that differ from actually being in the cult?”
“I certainly don’t believe in their ideologies.”
“And all that stuff you had Caroline research?”
“A hobby. I’ve never found much credence in it, but I like to keep my ear on the ground. Sometimes conspiracy theories can be true at the most surprising times.”
“So you have no evidence whatsoever?”
“Nothing I’d bet the Dynasty on. Just what the Dwarf said. Interesting things.”
“What’s your exit plan now?”
She shrugged again. “Hoping to be on your good side, or at least not opposed by you, limits my options. If I live, though, I do intend to change identities thoroughly. This particularly Sleeper failure has ended the life of ‘Carmilla’ quite thoroughly.”
“And you can build other Sleepers? While on board the ship?”
She met your eyes. “Yes.”
You stood, got up to leave. “I think that earns you another day.”

-

Agatha’s World was a pleasant place. One planet worth the name, circling through a disc of debris that hadn’t turned into planets or moons. A young star. Reasonable weather. Hundreds of warp-faring ships, floating languidly through the stellar gas clouds. The planet itself never really deviated with seasons, or storms, or anything actually interesting.

You decided you hated it. It lacked the character of Golgotha, or the Beast. Who wants to laze about and be unchallenged for days on end? You wanted to be challenged by life, and to tear out its throat with your teeth. Absently, you wondered if there were any apex predators in the oceans. Fighting them in your armor had a certain barbaric appeal to it.

You lacked the shuttle capacity to send down one hundred thousand people at once, but they went down in shuttles stuffed to the brim. When they came back, it was with a handful of missionaries and a cargo-bay full of loot. You looked at them narrowly, but they swore up and down it was their own money they were decorating with. You’d see. Might be due for a public de-limbing soon.

Slowly, ever so slowly, the Beast was transformed into an outer skin and deep inner layer. The outer skin was for the pilgrims, kilometers of murals, statues, paintings. It was described as ‘post-impressionist’, whatever that meant, layered over baroque architecture. Regardless, the first few of the new converts were already visiting the corridors and putting money in your pocket.

The inner folds, which were 90% of the ship, were the most vicious fortress ship that could be built by you and Fabiyan and the Iron Hands. An unending nightmare of Kriegers and skulls and combat-servitors and weaponry. This had the added benefit of making the ship look like a merchant-ship, but fight like a Imperial Navy battleship. You expected the turn to piracy would be an easy thing, if you felt like it.

The wiring of the ship was essentially complete, with all doors and weapons under your control. Your mind rode on an ocean of Machine-Spirits, all enacting your will, and you could feel the internal and external sensors watching without sleep. You had even implemented xeno and warp sensors on the inside, which would mean you didn’t have to wait until a Dreg got an eye on them. You simply matched their scent to any of the monsters in Kiera’s extensive records.

In the same way, it became impossible for your own weapons to be used on you, or to be locked out of a quarantine. Others might be bound by them, but you were not. You could feel the ship waking up from a deep and ancient slumber, all the wires connecting to each other for the first time in millennia. You felt like a solitary whale, swimming in a vast and awakening ocean.

-

You had ordered a catalogue of niceties for Amacita, placed them in boxes in her rooms and the places she had been known to frequent. It had seemed a failure at first, but at some point when the security alarms didn’t notice, Ravensburg reported that some of them were opened, contents removed. It was possible some other invisible thing was haunting the ship, but you were fairly sure it was her. It was comforting to think she was alive, even after all that had happened.

Meanwhile, Tech-Priest Theta had considered his digging into the Magos’ files (or what you had cleared him for of them). Perhaps unsurprisingly, Kiera had kept records on the progression of Amactia, and the impact of the Pillar on her. You wondered absently if she had arranged for Amacita to get it in the first place. It certainly was possible.

Regardless, the Magos had tailored an aerosol pheromone based on the psider. Paranoia and hallucinations guaranteed, but you would (probably) be able to see what the pillar was trying to hide. You wondered if you should use it, or perhaps some Drusians. Maybe the Kriegers. The main thing was getting the Pillar back in the Family vault and under lock and key.

-

When you had a spare moment, you began sending messages out in the Warp. Preprogrammed destinations, and the deepest and most complex codes. The Ordos Xenos was informed of the Xenos Chimeras that had been created, and you locked away the copies under the highest security. A message to Mars - the location of Samech the Hellforge. It might be a few centuries before they were moved against, but the justice of the Omnissiah was slow and sure. A message to the Ordo Hereticus - information on the Empiric Engineers and Logicians, both cults of infamy.

-

On the beaches below, thousands of Krieg were fortifying the beaches into a monstrous thing, including homemade concrete. Here and there, jump-pack Krieg flew into the air, pursuing Krieg who were parasailing as the opposition force.

-

You were staring out into the void, at the planet below you. You had done much of what was necessary, but the final thing - the final thing. A warning to Mars of the Olympus would move millions of ships, would kill trillions of humans, regardless of whether it was right or wrong. But if you were supposed to send it and didn’t, the Imperium itself might break.

“Athena? What do you think I should do?”
“I think it’s time to tell Mars.”
You glanced behind you. An older woman, pale and with brown hair, dressed in a void-suit you’d only see in the oldest of pictures. On her shoulder, a flag of eight white circles, set on a field of blue. She was looking outside the window with you.
“Is this your real form, then? Are you Athena?”
She smiled. “My real form is in a hyperspace pocket hidden behind math your wisest have forgotten. But it will do. And yes, I am.”
You paused. “Why eight circles? Were there eight warships in your original fleet?”
Athena shook her head. “Eight planets, spinning around Sol. Long ago.”
You looked at her, confused. “There are only six planets. Sacred Terra, Holy Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune. Terra and Mars are closest to the Sun because they are the most important.”
“Currently, sure. When I was cast? There were two others. Mercury and Venus. They’ve been turned into solar panels now, beaming energy into the Dyson Swarm.”
You sounded the words out. “Mercury. Venus. Strange names for planets. And rather blasphemous that they were closer to the Sun. It was good they were turned into something useful.”
She looked at the stars outside the panel. “We thought they were beautiful, in those days.”
“What else has changed?”
“More than I could tell you in a hundred lifetimes. This… is a strange place. When I slept, the Warp was a quiet thing, something where science was done.”
“And now?”
She shrugged. “The Federation fallen, this Imperium taken its place. Beset on all sides, all knowledge lost. I slept for a moment and all we had built is gone.”
“Is that why you want to send the alarm to Terra? Does the Dark Mechanicus know about you?”
Athena smiled. “Yes.”

And for some reason you thought she was lying.

What do you do?

Loel fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jul 6, 2015

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
SOUND THE ALARM. OUR GODDESS DEMANDS IT!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suY06PVK_bI

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
She probably wants to move against Terra herself. I say, do as she suggests. She is basically the Omnissiah. And put mom in a brain box, for crying out loud.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Ask Athena to tell us about the old times

Edit: Try to get her reaction to working with the Imperium to bring a semi-balance of order back to the galaxy.

Also, can we still use our mechandrites etc., in the space armor?

RandomPauI fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jul 6, 2015

mepstein73
Sep 18, 2012

Whether or not you find your own way, you're bound to find some way. If you happen to find my way, please return it, as it was lost years ago. I imagine by now it's quite rusty.
Ooh, creepy yet interesting. She wants humanity to suffer, or perhaps to relearn what the true path-- the one she was forged for-- really is. Perhaps relearning and suffering are one and the same. Either way, I think it would be in Ohone's character to understand this. Between her reaction to seeing that kid go through Family Movie Night, and to losing the majority of those closest to her to Devries, she is at a point in life where she likely will decide that the Imperium is not only important for humanity at large, but her own humanity. Recall her definition, from Arc 2:

LowellDND posted:

The system is down

“What about you?” Skade looked curious.
“Me?”
“Yes, you. Lord-high General Ohone, high muckety muck of all the Armies. What makes a human?”
“Mm… self improvement maybe. We all train to be better at what we are. Xenos don’t, they are what they are forever. Those that fall to the Enemy, actually lose their capabilities. Right now, that’s my answer.”
Both nodded thoughtfully. The knitting continued for a little while.

Therefore...
Make the call.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Talk to Athena. Ask her exactly what her long-term plan is... you know, after the Dark Mechanicus is dealt with. Does she desire a return to the Mars Federation, or does she wish to guide its successor?

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

Send word to Mars
Let the Goddess feast upon all who would attack Holy Golgotha, the site of her resurrection :getin:

Also, let's be friends with mom.

Mom might have embarrassed us in front of all of our friends by spewing unholy blasphemy, but moms are wont to do that. We should let her out and have the dwarf work side by side with her.

Ask Athena a million questions:

What her plans are

What she'd like us to do

What kinds of gifts she likes

What her birthday is

Can she hook us/our ship/our useless dog up with some wicked sick archeotech upgrades

Ask if she wants to hang out

Ask her what she thinks of chaos, also ask her to consider changing the 8 planet symbol to something else, since 8 is kind of a dicey number.

Ask if she's be willing to part with some minor STC so we could get some major props from AdMech and the Inquisition

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Arkanomen posted:

SOUND THE ALARM. OUR GODDESS DEMANDS IT!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suY06PVK_bI

ALARM!

mepstein73
Sep 18, 2012

Whether or not you find your own way, you're bound to find some way. If you happen to find my way, please return it, as it was lost years ago. I imagine by now it's quite rusty.

ElrondHubbard posted:

Also, let's be friends with mom.

Mom might have embarrassed us in front of all of our friends by spewing unholy blasphemy, but moms are wont to do that. We should let her out and have the dwarf work side by side with her.

Ask Athena a million questions:

What her plans are

What she'd like us to do

What kinds of gifts she likes

What her birthday is

Can she hook us/our ship/our useless dog up with some wicked sick archeotech upgrades

Ask if she wants to hang out

Ask her what she thinks of chaos, also ask her to consider changing the 8 planet symbol to something else, since 8 is kind of a dicey number.

Ask if she's be willing to part with some minor STC so we could get some major props from AdMech and the Inquisition

Ask if she likes to knit, too.

And seconding be friends with mom.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

arkanomen posted:

:allears:

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
This is the sorceror or daemon posing as Athena. She speaks to us directly. Banish the illusion. Get the Blank in here

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
HER WILL BE DONE

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
While we're sharing videos, I'd like to link one that'll explain why we lived and so many of our retinue died.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lg9scNl9h4Q

Edit: Thirding friends with Mom. A mom under guard, but still mom.

falcon2424
May 2, 2005

Grognan posted:

This is the sorceror or daemon posing as Athena. She speaks to us directly. Banish the illusion. Get the Blank in here

Very good point.

+1 for the blank

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Do as she says, after checking for warpfuckery.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Grognan posted:

Actually this is a fair point, if Chaos knows about Athena, this is exactly the kind of trick they'd try to pull.

falcon2424
May 2, 2005

Lore question for people who know the setting: Can demons speak sacred binary?

If not, it seems like it'd be an easy test to send her some images quickly.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
+1 get the blank

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

falcon2424 posted:

Lore question for people who know the setting: Can demons speak sacred binary?

If not, it seems like it'd be an easy test to send her some images quickly.

Tzeneech has a bunch of hereteks in his pocket, the tricky fucker.

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

That there was originally 8 planets around Sol is clearly nonsense at best and heresy at worst- +1 to bringing the blank in

Send word to Mars, but include a warning that the Dark Mechanicus may have already compromised her

She's suddenly feeling very non-afraid it seems, as opposed to her earlier SOL

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Ask for authentication I guess

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

Waci posted:

Do as she says, after checking for warpfuckery.

+1 for blank

No need to swear the thing to secrecy, since no one can stand talking to it long enough to find out what it knows.

Edit:

Also ask Athena what precautions she's taking against demons and the warp

If her precautions are better than ours, then we should take them as well.

Ask her opinion on the Eye of Terror / the threat of chaos

Ask her opinion on Eldar

ElrondHubbard fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jul 6, 2015

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress me, even if this IS a demon. They still know. So we must warn Terra.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
If we send word to Mars, one of the planets that will have its defenses reduced is Sol. With the Mechanicus sending their biggest and baddest ships and techies out there. So let's trust but verify.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Be penpals with Amecita

We can leave notes for her along with the usual pleasantries. The pilar might keep us from seeing her but it doesn't physically erase whatever she might leave behind!

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
After leaving out supplies and sundries for Amacita for long enough, can we rig one of the bundles to set off sleeping gas and have the Machine Spirits inform us when the air composition of that room changes as a result of it being set off?

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

RandomPauI posted:

Be penpals with Amecita

We can leave notes for her along with the usual pleasantries. The pilar might keep us from seeing her but it doesn't physically erase whatever she might leave behind!

This is good.

Confirm the fate of Siadwell, Devries, and the Magos while keeping her informed on our progress with the beast.

quote:

Meanwhile, Tech-Priest Theta had considered his digging into the Magos’ files (or what you had cleared him for of them). Perhaps unsurprisingly, Kiera had kept records on the progression of Amactia, and the impact of the Pillar on her. You wondered absently if she had arranged for Amacita to get it in the first place. It certainly was possible.

Regardless, the Magos had tailored an aerosol pheromone based on the psider. Paranoia and hallucinations guaranteed, but you would (probably) be able to see what the pillar was trying to hide. You wondered if you should use it, or perhaps some Drusians. Maybe the Kriegers. The main thing was getting the Pillar back in the Family vault and under lock and key.

What are the effects of the Pillar?

Oh, can we dose up a servitor and have it remotely monitor Amacita's room / where we're leaving stuff? We might get some false positives due to hallucinations, but any footage it marks will be extensively analyzed. Then maybe we'll be able to ID a signature from the Pillar that we can track / get a good idea of how Amacita is looking.

Alternatively we can leave markers in the gifts that'll show up around the ship where Amacita's been. Giving us an idea of what her movements are and what her home base is.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Put Amacita's "helpers" in a room locked up. Arrange a giant mechanical cage to drop onto it and her if she grabs them. No machine spirits and just mechanical systems. Have it ring a bell in our office.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Grognan posted:

gently caress me, even if this IS a demon. They still know. So we must warn Terra.

RandomPauI posted:

Be penpals with Amecita

These are both great points

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
If I remember things right we still need to investigate something on this planet, which will be the key to stopping the crytic "her". I say we got planetside in our most casual attire, live it up as if we were just another rogue trader. Keep our ears open the whole time

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

Grognan posted:

Put Amacita's "helpers" in a room locked up. Arrange a giant mechanical cage to drop onto it and her if she grabs them. No machine spirits and just mechanical systems. Have it ring a bell in our office.

RandomPauI posted:

If I remember things right we still need to investigate something on this planet, which will be the key to stopping the crytic "her". I say we go planetside in our most casual attire, live it up as if we were just another rogue trader. Keep our ears open the whole time

Ha, I'm imagining Ohone in like a blazer and a polo shirt... mechadendrites trailing behind her like crazy dreadlocks.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

dog kisser posted:

Ha, I'm imagining Ohone in like a blazer and a polo shirt... mechadendrites trailing behind her like crazy dreadlocks.

And her mood hair.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

dog kisser posted:

This has to happen now.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

An outsize Hawaiian shirt draped over the armour of the Lord-Sire.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
Do not send the call

5 bucks says athena jumps to SOL the moment they send the fleets out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

Anticheese posted:

An outsize Hawaiian shirt draped over the armour of the Lord-Sire.

'alright guys keep a low profile'

*steps off landing craft onto wooden dock, falls straight through, landing in water up to her waist - pauses for a second, then walks towards the shore, tearing through wooden planks with every step, daring anyone to say anything*

'... nailed it'