Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

poor life choice posted:

FIGHT ME IRL That's interesting! Are Culexus assassins made from blanks that are so strong they cause the pain/horror, or are they trained/enhanced to that point? If the latter, I'm torn between trying to get our blank turned into one to see how high we can crank it, and still wanting to keep him as-is, a living anti-psyker accessory that's very strong without being something we physically couldn't stand being around.

I mostly just wanted our Beast-grown blank to be king poo poo of lovely mountain. I really like the character.

Little of column A little of column B. There's a little confusion over whether or not you have to be a full Pariah to be a Culexus assassin, but they do train up their skills:

quote:

The Culexus Assassin attacks using his own innate abilities enhanced by years of training, mental exercises and arcane wargear. He slips through the battle lines and bodyguards, his negative aura muddling the minds of conventional troops, allowing him to close upon his targets. Bolts of negative Warp energy blast the minds of enemy psykers and strip them of their powers before he moves in for the kill, sapping the very life-force from their bodies.

Our guy is actually more suited to an Inquisitor's retinue than being an assassin. Assassins are mostly vat-grown and lack human emotion, though they are taught how to fake it for the sake of their missions. Blanks like Smelly tend to be used by Inquisitors as a surprise for psychic enemies. This generally requires the blank to have some socialization and basic people skills to not to give away what he is. Nice inquisitors will give them gear and training to increase their chances of survival. I don't think our psykers would like it very much, but we could start training Smelly to be a useful member of the team.

For all we know, he may show some real promise and possibly even live long enough to be Inquisitor Smelly.

Edit:

I don't think they exist in the RPG, but we could try to get Smelly contra-psychic dampers to give him a chance at being normal.

EE:

Do we have any Psyk-Out grenades? Those could be handy for dealing with Mother/Abraxus

ElrondHubbard fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jul 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
No Exterminatus yet

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Ralith posted:

No Exterminatus yet

What's the point of having toys if you're not going to use them?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

To a child with a cyclonic torpedo, everything looks like an irredeemable nest of heresy...

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I think we're supposed to find mother by investigating the planet, not by destroying it.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

RandomPauI posted:

I think we're supposed to find mother by investigating the planet, not by destroying it.

Just because they want to play chess doesn't mean we can't play smash the chess board.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Please ask our Astropathic Choir to politely send put the following message with Inquisitorial Authority to all ships in Orbit
:derp: :derp: :derp:

ALL SHIPS FIRE UPON THE FILTHY LUCRE <give coords> IT MUST NOT ESCAPE TO SPREAD IT'S VILE HERESY ANYWHERE ELSE.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Please ask our Astropathic Choir to politely send put the following message with Inquisitorial Authority to all ships in Orbit

ALL SHIPS FIRE UPON THE FILTHY LUCRE <give coords> IT MUST NOT ESCAPE TO SPREAD IT'S VILE HERESY ANYWHERE ELSE.

This works too. I mean, once you start flashing the rosette, everyone is going to start falling over themselves to obey especially if we say it's a demon and rogue psyker nest. It may not kill them as the might be planetside, but it removes one method they could use to escape. And, maybe we'll get lucky and kill one or both on it.

Family movie night is ours, and ours alone :colbert:

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
How about we put together some Tribune teams to act as our investigators on the planet below. See if can find this cult before they move against us. Best dudes get promoted to heir/interrogator status.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

The point is not pissing away useful tools before it's clear that they are no longer useful.
As decadent as a Pleasure World is, it serves a purpose in the grand scheme of the Imperium, and Exterminatussing one, just because we are too lazy to conduct an investigation is wasteful in the extreme.
If Exterminatus was a proper answer to every posession, then we would not need the Inquisition, the Navy could do that job just as well, it is our organisation's express purpose to avoid these blunt tools where we can.

Thought of the day:
Life is the Emperor's currency, spend it well

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

sheep-dodger posted:

The point is not pissing away useful tools before it's clear that they are no longer useful.
As decadent as a Pleasure World is, it serves a purpose in the grand scheme of the Imperium, and Exterminatussing one, just because we are too lazy to conduct an investigation is wasteful in the extreme.
If Exterminatus was a proper answer to every posession, then we would not need the Inquisition, the Navy could do that job just as well, it is our organisation's express purpose to avoid these blunt tools where we can.

Thought of the day:
A wise post.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

sheep-dodger posted:

Thought of the day:

But this is not an everyday possession. This is an Alpha+ level psyker being corrupted by a demon with a particular bone to pick with us. Mother could enslave the entire planet right now should she choose to. Mo-braxus is a stupidly powerful entity right now. Exterminatus has been called for less.

edit: I mean, for story purposes, it's better if we investigate and have it blow up in our face. But we did get told that we could stop it here. Blowing the poo poo up would be a pretty good way of doing that.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

True, but she may only control one continent or somethign. We need to know more. Shoot first ask questions never is what Space Marines do. OUR job as an Inquisitor is to ask the questions FIRST.

It's right there in the name

Full investigation with all tribunes of the Filthy Lucre and Pleasure Planet

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Blowing the poo poo up would be a pretty good way of doing that.

Actually it wouldn't even slow this thing down. Unless we deliver a torpedo with a blank onsite, this thing will tank everything. We need to find it, and then kill it.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
:siren: put the blank in the Titan hidden somewhere on the Beast and strap the blank to the driver's seat :siren:

http://youtu.be/-_Z0tbg6Phs "Stinkyman..."

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

poor life choice fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jul 21, 2015

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Are we absolutely sure that 'she' is Mo-braxus?

I'm waiting for the next reveal.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

Outrail posted:

Are we absolutely sure that 'she' is Mo-braxus?

I'm waiting for the next reveal.

Abraxus pretty much told us in the dream that he's banging our mom and calling us Little Ohone is a dead giveaway.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

Grognan posted:

Actually it wouldn't even slow this thing down. Unless we deliver a torpedo with a blank onsite, this thing will tank everything. We need to find it, and then kill it.

Nah. Pretty sure an exterminatus isn't something it could withstand.

On the other hand, we don't know if it's even on this planet or simply floating in space, waiting for its chance to strike.

We'd feel pretty silly if we wiped out the planet and it turned out the enemy wasn't on there in the first place and we just took out some of the movers and shakers necessary for Golgotha to be a successful operation.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
I guess the smartest thing to do would be call an exterminatus on every warp/void capable ship in orbit. Unless Abby can warp jump it's stuck down on the pleasure planet and we can track her down at our leisure.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
We should at least confirm the thing we want to kill is on the planet before we blow it up.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

Arkanomen posted:

Abraxus pretty much told us in the dream that he's banging our mom and calling us Little Ohone is a dead giveaway.

But Caroline aboard our ship?

Blow the ship up!

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.

Deadmeat5150 posted:

While this is the obvious reaction, I'd like to point out that we're talking about a psychic gestalt entity that can spread her consciousness through the ten thousand corpses aboard the Lucre. There is also the suspicion that she can spread herself through memetic virus. If we shoot the ship it'll break up, and pieces will fall to the planet. Large enough pieces might contain intact bodies for Mother to leave from, and then the entire planet is infected.

While there is the very real possibility the planet is infected already, we should act as though it can be saved until proven otherwise.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

We should probably send reports to the Inquisition and the Grey Knights about what's going down here.

Professional courtesy more than anything else, but it'll definitely come in handy if Motherbraxus manages to escape. Who knows though, maybe the Grey Knights will arrive yesterday thanks to the warp.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

Tran posted:

While this is the obvious reaction, I'd like to point out that we're talking about a psychic gestalt entity that can spread her consciousness through the ten thousand corpses aboard the Lucre. There is also the suspicion that she can spread herself through memetic virus. If we shoot the ship it'll break up, and pieces will fall to the planet. Large enough pieces might contain intact bodies for Mother to leave from, and then the entire planet is infected.

While there is the very real possibility the planet is infected already, we should act as though it can be saved until proven otherwise.

I'd also like to avoid psychic communication if possible. Do radios still exist or is that not grimdark enough for 40k?

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
Voxes are standard issue. Astropaths are only needed for interstellar communication.

falcon2424
May 2, 2005

Experiment with our blank + the subsixers. Does the blank interfere with their loyalty?

If there's some noticeable interaction, we can just implement "airport screening" on some random sample of people who are leaving the world. And then we could find mother pretty quickly. I don't expect it to work, but it's basically free to check.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
TSA agents are advised to be on the lookout for several dozen psykely reanimated corpses fused into an unholy abomination with a slaanesh deamon. The entity is wanted for violation of several inquisitorial guidelines and may be considered dangerous.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

Keep in mind that if we reveal the blank, which neither Mother nor Abraxus should be aware of, that's a huge surprise lost.

Also, having him locked down checking people at the airport gives Mother a nice target she can send her minions, or a nuke, to deal with.

Testing him with the subsixers should give us some insight into how Mother 1.0 operated.

E:

V Agree with plan falcon2424

ElrondHubbard fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jul 22, 2015

falcon2424
May 2, 2005

LowellDND posted:

“Astin De Merode, we’ve spoken briefly in the past.” She looked warily about her. She was one of the lowest ranking, least powerful people here, and that was actually why you had selected her. “Most of us here have decades of experience and plans, but that means that sometimes we are blindsided by the absurdly simple.” Like a fusion bomb. You shrugged the thought away. “Your job here is to keep an eye on that sort of thing.”
“Aye Ma’am.”

“And finally, Explorer Lukacs, our Guild Represenative. You have done wonders for us these last few weeks, and our maps are nearly complete. To begin with, I would like to share what we’ve discovered so far.”

Question for Austin & Lukacs: Hypothetically, if you were a mind-controlling monster, or a demon like Abraxus, where would you set up shop on the planet's surface? Are there any places that seem obvious?

What's jumping out at me is that we have our own island. That's nice if you want uncrowded beaches. But it's not so great if you're hoping to corrupt people and build a power base.

I bet we can narrow our search down from a planet to a relatively small handful of key choke points.

falcon2424
May 2, 2005

ElrondHubbard posted:

Keep in mind that if we reveal the blank, which neither mother nor abraxus should be aware of, that's a huge surprise lost.

Also, having him locked down checking people at the airport gives Mother a nice target she can send her minions, or a nuke, to deal with.

Doesn't he work on proximity?

Depending on people's reaction, we might be able to stick him on the other side of a wall. Or just have him sitting in the corner of a room while some navy guys check a few passengers for grimdark space-drugs.

Last time, Mother enslaved a whole hive of people. I'm assuming she'd do something similar this time. So, we could get away with scanning a few people from any given region.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

falcon2424 posted:

Question for Austin & Lukacs: Hypothetically, if you were a mind-controlling monster, or a demon like Abraxus, where would you set up shop on the planet's surface? Are there any places that seem obvious?

What's jumping out at me is that we have our own island. That's nice if you want uncrowded beaches. But it's not so great if you're hoping to corrupt people and build a power base.

I bet we can narrow our search down from a planet to a relatively small handful of key choke points.

Excellent, yes :D There is a major hub where all the cool people hang out. It has a major docking area for boats to go to the private islands (or the retinue island), but its also where all the movers and shakers network.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

LowellDND posted:

Excellent, yes :D There is a major hub where all the cool people hang out. It has a major docking area for boats to go to the private islands (or the retinue island), but its also where all the movers and shakers network.

Good, Drop the bombs there first!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Arkanomen posted:

Good, Drop the bombs there first!

Great and terrible minds think alike!

I think this might be an actual good idea. She's most probably on the surface corrupting people and she probably won't be expecting us to be so wantonly dismissive of so many lives (if only she'd seen what we'd been up to these last few months).

Outrail fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jul 22, 2015

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

Yes, our first reaction to every threat should be to destroy the Imperial planet. This is totally in keeping with our new commitment to trying to restore humanity to our followers and actions. No cognitive dissonance here, no sir.

Tran fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jul 22, 2015

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Tran posted:

Yes, our first reaction to every threat should be to destroy the Imperial planet. This is totally in keeping with our new commitment to trying to restoring humanity to our followers and actions. No cognitive dissonance here, no sir.

:allears:

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
If her behavior on Golgotha is any indication, she's probably gone to ground somewhere. I wouldn't expect a mere orbital bombardment to do the trick. That being said, let's get some schematics for this central island and try and identify bomb-resistant hideways she could be using as her lair. Then deploy scout teams to scout the likely locations. Could be a job for the Sub-Sixers, if they go turn on us, we'll have forewarning and they'll be off the ship.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

sullat posted:

If her behavior on Golgotha is any indication, she's probably gone to ground somewhere. I wouldn't expect a mere orbital bombardment to do the trick. That being said, let's get some schematics for this central island and try and identify bomb-resistant hideways she could be using as her lair. Then deploy scout teams to scout the likely locations. Could be a job for the Sub-Sixers, if they go turn on us, we'll have forewarning and they'll be off the ship.

Small quibble - that island is all VIPs, all the troops are kept off shore, where they can break less expensive things.

However, you can send some Tribunes! Lot of them have social experience and capital.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

Glad to see Badzog will finally have a chance to rub shoulders with some of the bigwigs of the Imperium, as is befitting a noble of his stature.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

As an aside, I'm realizing that the Inquisitors during arc 3 didn't really shine because I couldn't characterize them all. However... I do seem to have a horde of eager fans who like to characterize things. So if you wanna snag an Inquisitor and give them a backstory, feel free. Just remember to keep the name and the faction :D

List here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1RBGCUMPaG5qN0RvKrykiCI5FKMTrw7gm0roT--ruEHc/edit#gid=0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Peace

“Okay. Maybe you were right.”
You could feel his almost smile. “When have I not been right?”
“Mm… you know, I can’t think of a time? Not since I’ve known you.”
He nodded solemnly. “It’s a gift.”
“Really. At this point… you are my compass. If I get lost, you can find me out.”
He paused. “Thank you. I know what that means to you.”

You snuggled close to his shoulder. “What do you think Terra is doing about our message?”
“Always about the work?”
“Maybe a little.”
“Well, I expect it’s probably arrived by now. They are checking its credentials, slowly working it up to the High Lords.”
“How long will that take?”
You could feel his shrug. “Six months, a year?”
“Even for a priority Inquisition message like this?”
“Sure. Think what would happen if a subverted Inquisitor sent it, emptied all the fleets. The Great Enemy could win that decade.”
“That makes sense. Still, it makes me nervous. I feel like we are behind.”
“Don’t be. Even if the message went to the other side, they have the same delay. Perhaps more so, they are always turning on each other.”
“Never really thought of how long things took at the galactic scale. Like I knew, but I didn’t know, you know?”
“Yeah. I had the same response when they made me a general. Planning operations across systems, when the supply lines take a year to just arrive.... the scale can be overwhelming sometimes.”
“So if they agree, and send out a warning order…”
“Ships will be arriving at Golgotha for the next five hundred years, yeah. It’ll be the new Cadian Gate.”
“Wow.”
“Yup. So, what do you think of the planet? And relaxing?”
“It’s … nice. And strange. I haven’t relaxed in years. Always had another crisis going, some emergency. Surrounded by enemies.”
“And now?”
“Now… I’m surrounded by friends.”
You watch the Krieg practice surfing (minimal support amphibious assaults) as the sun set.