Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

A Darker Porpoise posted:

Rally them tribes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Arkanomen posted:

incapacitate and restrain the woman. Then scan her for anything unusual. If she is tainted then execute and freeze the body. Then warm the Magis of the pleasure cult's plan

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

You currently have her locked in your lab. For the people wanting her incapacitated, do you want her tied up and/or drugged as well?

edit: Right now Amacita trusts you (or appears to). Going aggressive tactics might alienate her.

Loel fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Dec 10, 2014

mepstein73
Sep 18, 2012

Whether or not you find your own way, you're bound to find some way. If you happen to find my way, please return it, as it was lost years ago. I imagine by now it's quite rusty.
Rally the tribes. While Amacita is likely tainted, I think the 'shoot her now' option is a bad one. Keep her alive, possibly captive and sedated in our lab as a backup information source. I also like her as a character, and don't want to see her die. Also, since this xeno is weak to psykers, should we call in a psyker for backup?

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!

LowellDND posted:

You currently have her locked in your lab. For the people wanting her incapacitated, do you want her tied up and/or drugged as well?

edit: Right now Amacita trusts you (or appears to). Going aggressive tactics might alienate her.

You know what. Let's give Amacita a chance.

Tell Amacita about the Xeno goop thing. Then ask her to let us test her.

Amacita is our friend, so let's not just immediately incapacitate her. Also, we might be able to get a useful ally by being more upfront with her.

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
I do feel bad about just killing her. The information we wqould glean from her corpse would be interesting, but she is a friend. Keeping here alive might be more interesting, though. Can we undo the damage caused by the artifact?

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Obscil posted:

You know what. Let's give Amacita a chance.

Tell Amacita about the Xeno goop thing. Then ask her to let us test her.

Amacita is our friend, so let's not just immediately incapacitate her. Also, we might be able to get a useful ally by being more upfront with her.

Agree with this, but if she says no then into the freezer with her!

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Wently: Well, the artifact is an unknown. All you know so far is that it helped conceal Amacita's projects from the political games. Beyond that, side effects, price, duration, you don't know.

Mepstein73, the psykers are mostly in the pocket of Limosa. They will probably help you take down Amacita, but perhaps not in a way you'd like.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

"Amacita dear, I need to give you some medical tests.
Hmm? Well you might have picked up something from the masses at the lower decks.
Probably nothing to worry about, I just want to make sure you are healthy.
Don't you trust me Amacita?"

After she refuses to trust then we get the servitors.

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012

LowellDND posted:

Wently: Well, the artifact is an unknown. All you know so far is that it helped conceal Amacita's projects from the political games. Beyond that, side effects, price, duration, you don't know.

Exactly. Studying her is likely to be safer than studying the artifact. By observing the effect of the artifact on a human, we can understand what it does much more safely.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

"Amacita dear, I need to give you some medical tests.
Hmm? Well you might have picked up something from the masses at the lower decks.
Probably nothing to worry about, I just want to make sure you are healthy.
Don't you trust me Amacita?"

After she refuses to trust then we get the servitors.

While I am enthusiastic about rolling more deception checks, do you want to take the time to do this right now? If her info is true, Abraxus is plotting a rather big attack on the nutrient center.

mepstein73
Sep 18, 2012

Whether or not you find your own way, you're bound to find some way. If you happen to find my way, please return it, as it was lost years ago. I imagine by now it's quite rusty.

LowellDND posted:

While I am enthusiastic about rolling more deception checks, do you want to take the time to do this right now? If her info is true, Abraxus is plotting a rather big attack on the nutrient center.

We wait to do this until we get back. Get the peeps at the food center aware of this guy, also; flash his picture around.

Edit: Actually, when this is all done and we hopefully cure Amacita, could we get her a job in the nutrient center? It seems like something she's good at and passionate about, and as long as she doesn't add any xeno-stuff, she'd probably be able to do some good there.

mepstein73 fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Dec 10, 2014

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
True, all of my questions were to keep people from killing her out of hand. Now is the time to visit the hiding place of the Xeno and use the very machines amoungst which it hides against it!

That is, if we can actually do that yet.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
I don't like leaving Amatica alone in our secret base, so how about we just sedate her heavily and restrain her so she doesn't get loose or contact anyone.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I don't care what we do with Amacita as long as we do it quickly. She is not the priority right now. Call the Tribes. We need to get to the food. Soon.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Take the artifact and rally the tribes to the defense of the Food-Vats. An anti-psyker artifact against something that uses psyker power a lot. Maybe this artifact mimics a blank?

Also this could hilariously look like we're trying to revolt and take control of the vats with a forbidden artifact from the family stores too. We'd better tread carefully. Especially around the church as we did some quite horrible things to some pilgrims.

Grognan fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Dec 10, 2014

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Amacita is currently our best candidate for a pawn/puppet in the family. She appears utterly incompetent. The question is, if that is true how has she managed to stay alive for this long?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Instead of stopping this threat to the hulk I see it as an opportunity to take control of a hulk full of loyal super soldiers, we just need to control the control. Not sure how to go about it though.

Just gotta control the psykers or void them. We should have gone with a void warped psyker.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Dec 10, 2014

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
Rally the Tribes, storm the Food Vats. Amacita can wait. To help us diagnose her and others, we should develop a psychedelic Ishihara plate test.

Edit: we shouldn't be afraid to space the entire food processing area if need be; we can always give Amacita to Lord-Sire to prove our actions were necessary.

MaliciousOnion fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Dec 10, 2014

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
We don't have time to gently caress around and we can't let Amacita out of our sight or who knows what headache that will bring later. She's been exposed to the Enemy. Do our duty and :commissar: now, then call up the tribes and get our rear end to the food center.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Chantilly Say posted:

We don't have time to gently caress around and we can't let Amacita out of our sight or who knows what headache that will bring later. She's been exposed to the Enemy. Do our duty and :commissar: now, then call up the tribes and get our rear end to the food center.

Changing my vote to this

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Okay. Looks like we have most of a plan, being Rally tribes/grab artifact/storm food centers. I do want some clarification on the following questions:

Are we informing the Lord-Sire of whats happening? If so, what are we telling him? As has been noted, this does kind of look like a coup.
Yes
No

Additionally, what do we want to do with Amacita?

Talk to Amacita: x x
Drug Amacita: x x x x
Kill Amacita:x x

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

MaliciousOnion posted:

To help us diagnose her and others, we should develop a psychedelic Ishihara plate test.

-Sees weird word-

-looks it up-

Holy crap, that never occurred to me. Thats an amazing response. :aaaaa:

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

LowellDND posted:

-Sees weird word-

-looks it up-

Wow I just looked it up and now I want to do this too. Experiment on her!

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
What an awesome and relatively low-tech way to diagnose infected!

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Yes, inform and adding my vote to eye-test her and then terminate if she's mutated

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Even if she is mutated, she is safe as long as she is in proximity of the psychic immunity artifact. Remember, the Xenos alters people to be more vulnerable to PSYCHIC influence as part of the mutations, and relies on that to draw people into the arms of the Enemy. We don't need to kill her, we just need to make sure she cannot leave the proximity of the artifact until the xenos is dealt with.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

FireSight posted:

Even if she is mutated, she is safe as long as she is in proximity of the psychic immunity artifact. Remember, the Xenos alters people to be more vulnerable to PSYCHIC influence as part of the mutations, and relies on that to draw people into the arms of the Enemy. We don't need to kill her, we just need to make sure she cannot leave the proximity of the artifact until the xenos is dealt with.

Well, that would mean you couldn't bring the artifact with you for the attack on the nutrient processors.

So its really 'which is more important'.

mepstein73
Sep 18, 2012

FireSight posted:

This. I want Amacita to live, as she gives me hope for humanity once we win the war (because we'll totally win this millenia-old war during this fic, right? right?). Also, do we know if Psyker-like xenos can control Servitors? Or is there just enough brain in there to act, but not enough to be controlled? I don't want to fight Megabyte. We've lost one friend already today... RIP Flours

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Flours was very special to me and I'm very upset she's gone.

Grab another Flours at the earliest convenience. I feel our world is emptier without her.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

LowellDND posted:

-Sees weird word-

-looks it up-

Finally, being colourblind is useful.

I think we should tell Lord-Sire that there's a rebellion going down, possibly xenos related, but leave out our previous investigations, and Amacita's involvement. Sorry, can't explain right now, have to save the city.

On the subject of Amacita, we should incapacitate her and deal with her if she's affected, or leave her if she's clean. We don't even know if the effects of this can be reversed.

MaliciousOnion fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Dec 11, 2014

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Leave Amacita out of this, but alert the Lord-Sire to the threat to the food. Amacita may be a minor family member but she's become dirty laundry. She also knows too much about our involvement here. We might mention her to the Lord-Sire later, after she's no longer talking, to show that we're looking out for the family discreetly.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Don't alert the Lord Sire. Or if you do, do it by a really slow servitor messenger. This is supposed to be our mess to clean up. We're being trusted.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There, I think I got all the requests in

Gears within Gears

Amacita’s eyelids drooped as she spoke. “Thank you Ohone. You always were the best of us…” Sleepily, she slumped foward, and you quickly strapped her into a restraining device of leather straps and bolts. The small needle and sedative you had palmed from the Magos’ labs had did their work. If you were any judge, she would be unconscious for around eighteen hours, the needle prick having gotten her wrist when she handed you her vox.

You would need more doses if you wanted to keep her unconscious beyond that, but it would work for now. Calmly, you take the artifact from her arms, place it amongst your robes and belts. An anti-psyker device would be useful when fighting against a telepathic xeno, although you weren’t sure of the extent of it’s capabilities. Even so, an aura of ‘I belong’ ‘dont pay attention to me’ could wreck an attack, particularly given its capabilities with claws.

Stepping outside of your lab, you close the door, secure it with bars, scatter trash in front of it. Your servo-skull had chosen the place well, being out of the way, highly secure, and innocuous to the casual eye. Idly, you wondered what the original purpose of it was. It had been empty for centuries prior to its current use, you knew that.

Getting back into the saddle of the riding-servitor, you motion your servo-skull ahead, telling it to summon the Tribes. Another emergency had come, one that had threatened the ship, and you knew they would respond with all haste. Meanwhile, your mind reached out, seeking com with your Lord-Sire. You tagged the message with urgency, but not an Omega. You didn’t have proof for another warp incursion, and making him drop everything in the middle of a riot was risky.

Which is why you were nearly halfway to the Batteries when your message was picked up. It was a Grey Guard, her face tired but stern, skin red and blistered from burns. Behind her, multiple buildings in the Deeps were on fire, and bodies were stacked on makeshift barricades. From the look of it, none of them died easy. Her voice was hoarse from the smoke. Or screaming.

“Captain Astri. What can I do for you, Lady Ohone?”
“Thank you Captain. I’ve received word from a reliable source that the food processors may be under threat.”
Asti looked pained. “They’ve repelled several assaults by malcontents already, and the Church sisters report it’s nothing they can’t handle. Did your source say what the attack would be?”
You pause. Things may have moved faster than you expected.
“I think those are probing attacks. I intend to move troops to reinforce that position.”
“Very well. I’ll see if I can detach a platoon to make it’s way there, but the resistance is quite strong in that area.”
“Omnissiah with you. Ohone out.”

The Tribes were nearly fully assembled by the time you arrived, with more arriving every moment. A cheer went up as they saw you, and your riding servitor - already the stuff of legends. You could see they had anticipated your desires - they were armed and ready for bear. The Elders and High Technician were already in council, waiting for you. The air was thick with anticipation, even eagerness. The Family hadn’t called the Tribes to war in a long age, even including firing of the Batteries.

The Council all bow as you meet them. “Scion of the Family, we are ready to serve.”
“You have always done well, Tribes of the Batteries. Now the Family has need of you once more. Vile xenos have made an attack on the food recycling center, guarded by Holy Church. The Sisters need our aid to destroy this threat. How many stand with me?”
The High Technician smiles for the first time. “All who can ride, Milady. We have followed your command, and built nearly one hundred riding and racing machines, and practiced ever since.”
One of the Elders speaks up, eager for your attention. “Yes, Milady. We are moving those who cannot fight to the most secure village, deep within in Between, and all the warriors who cannot ride will guard them. We will destroy the xenos for you.”

“You have done well. Elders, tell the warriors we will leave within fifteen minutes. High Technician, I need a device from you.”
“Yes, Milady?”
“It must measure acuity of vision. It must differentiate between three cones in the eye, and sixteen.” You send her a diagram of the modified eye. “A series of pictures, or colors, that can be examined.”
“Yes, Milady. We can begin production of them within days.”

Even as you spoke, the Tribes were packing. A couple thousand people and all their possessions, marching the long road into the depths of [i[Between[/i]. Herds of meat beasts and smaller animals were pushed along the route aswell. Warriors were scattered along their length, scouting ahead, looking for the predators that sometimes traveled there. Separate from them, your war party, engines rumbling, hissing, screaming.

Reaching out, you grab one animal in particular. A flouro cat, older, angrier than Fluors. She had bits of fur missing, replaced with the fungal scales that were so endemic to the Tribes, used to heal fires and radiation burns. They gave her fluorescence a strange mottled look, almost like Imperial guard camouflage. With some sadness, you put her on your shoulder, where Fluors rested, and resolved that this cat would fare better.

Being as she was from the Tribes of the Batteries, she seemed utterly relaxed even when surrounded by a hundred engines, although her ears flicked a bit when she heard yours. The screaming of the holy hymns were overwhelming, primal, and you felt a thrill of exhilaration as your convoy moved forward, towards the fore of the ship. This was like the races of your youth, except five or ten times as many people, all bent to your will.

You were nearly to the breach, where the main roads of Between turned into the steel jungles, when you received a message from one of your outriders. As you stopped to listen, the convoy began shifting into a column of ones and twos, to better pass the shattered corridors that wrapped around the food recycling center. You watched them for a moment, checking for any ambushers who would hit at such a vulnerable moment, and then turned to your scout.

“Yes? What you found?”
“Milady, there are invaders that are crossing Between. They are going from village to village, destroying all they find.”
“Describe them.”
“Armed pilgrims on foot. They are chanting about destroying the machines.”
“How many are there? Where?”
“Nearly two hundred it looked like. They are hitting every village in order, they will hit the Tribes within the hour. What do we do?”

Your troops stopped to look at you as you thought furiously. Most of the troops were here, which meant the Villages were vulnerable. But if you didn’t push forward, you might be too late to stop the xeno.

Should we use the war party to intercept the invading pilgrims? Or shall we push on to the vats?
A, Intercept
B, Ignore
C, Something Else

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
drat! There were more of the bastards. We should've guessed they'd be involved in this as well.

Intercept Hopefully we can destroy them quickly. The Sisters seem to be holding for now.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
All of our troops are riding war racers. We have speed on our side. Have them detach, slay these 'pilgrims' quickly and continue to the Food vats with all speed. Meanwhile, we shall continue to help the Sisters hold the line.

As a plus, having a bunch of gangsters attacking from behind will probably make the reinforcements hit harder!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

paragon1 posted:

drat! There were more of the bastards. We should've guessed they'd be involved in this as well.

Intercept Hopefully we can destroy them quickly. The Sisters seem to be holding for now.

Guess so!

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

Slaan posted:

All of our troops are riding war racers. We have speed on our side. Have them detach, slay these 'pilgrims' quickly and continue to the Food vats with all speed. Meanwhile, we shall continue to help the Sisters hold the line.

As a plus, having a bunch of gangsters attacking from behind will probably make the reinforcements hit harder!

+1

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

Slaan posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Point of clarification: You and your small team (servitors etc) will go ahead to aid the Sisters, while the convoy doubles back, and reinforces you when they can?