Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!
let's just rush through this and get to the actual story.

Magos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Let's get chaos-insulting servo-skulls and a cargo-hold full of those anti-psyker assassains.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
More Magos to get to more ranks of Favored by Fate

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Heretek Savant :allears:

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
Legend of the Expanse seems plot-appropriate, but we're sort of getting that anyway, and I have no idea what it'll do mechanically vs. the other options.

e:

Tran posted:

More Magos to get to more ranks of Favored by Fate
Oh, that's how that works? Magos, then. Need to make up for all our poor decisionmaking :v:

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Ralith posted:

Legend of the Expanse seems plot-appropriate, but we're sort of getting that anyway, and I have no idea what it'll do mechanically vs. the other options.

e:

Oh, that's how that works? Magos, then. Need to make up for all our poor decisionmaking :v:

I am not sure. Can someone find that bit for me? I don't see it in the normal advances for that level.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Acolyte of Decius would open up the option for us to do Psyker-like things, but with technology.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Magos x x x x x,
Acolyte of Decius x
Heretek Savant x
Reliquarist x

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Switching to Acolyte of Decius

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011
Ordo Sicarius

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Ordo Sicarius

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
Ordo Sicarius doesn't make any sense. Why would we suddenly care about temple assassins a lot?

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Magos

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Yeah, Sicarius doesn't quite make sense. Any of those classes relate to the Ordo Malleus? Otherwise secutor or something could work.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Legend of the Expanse. I feel like we've earned that one.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Volmarias posted:

Legend of the Expanse. I feel like we've earned that one.

Totally. Voting this.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Magos x x x x x, x
Acolyte of Decius x x
Ordo Sicarius x x
Legend x x
Heretek Savant x

Standby

edit: Updated. We have a bunch more XP to burn, but eh. Can do it later.

Imma have dinner and start writing :D

Loel fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Aug 23, 2015

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Decius

Edit: drat

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Honestly, we're getting close to the rules as written XP cap. So at some point we'll need to decide if we stop getting XP, or we just continue the progression.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
We're already trying to break the world, why not break the rules?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

RandomPauI posted:

We're already trying to break the world, why not break the rules?

My line of thinking is that people seem to want to skip it entirely so we can have more writing.

Ill have the thread mull it over, it'll be a few months before we have to make a decision.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Ordo Sicarius

Assassins are cool. :colbert:

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

I'd like to raise The Exorcised Elite Advance Package from the radical's handbook to the thread's consideration. It costs 500 xp and a fate point.(or ALL of your fate points if you can't afford the XP) lovely, but Thematically I like it: In the upcoming battle, abraxus attempts to possess ohone, who is then rebuked/saved by fabiyan.

Edit: For those that don't know, elite advance stuff isn't a level or an alt-level at all so much as it is a mini tacked-on group of things with an independant price. It doesn't interfere with our choice of classes at all. This one, however is... Hefty in its prices and consequences.

It seems to me that the nature of this conflict, the scene, and the players involved could very easily lead down such a path. I bring it up because its one of the very, very, very few ways to deal with chaos and retain one's sense of self: the exorcised are incredibly resistant to future corruption, and if we want to walk away from this in any semblance of one piece, we should pay the price up front and roll with the consequences later.

Pros and Cons:
Base Fellowship set to 10, -d5 wounds, +2d10 insanity.
Psynicience +10
Fearless(Immune to fear and pinning), Dark Soul, Resistance(psychic powers)
Immunity to warp shock
Halves all corruption points from any source.
Immune to the mutating effects of corruption
Revokes any daemonic talents and dark pacts, and prevents such things in the future.

You want to walk away from the memetic virus as, well, you? Pay the piper.

Pre-Pay for Exorcised and dump remaining XP into Fate Points

Lowell, what's our current max/cap on fate points? Roughly 3-4+1 for ascension tier, so in the ballpark of 4-5?

By my accounts, 5k xp should get us 6 fate points, two of which are immediately paid for/lost for story purposes, and a reserve of four to bring the pain. no matter what else we decide upon, we want probably at least 2 post-death-price.

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Aug 23, 2015

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I like the sound of that

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Me too. I saw the new thread name, and I thought it would make a fitting way to stand up and say 'no, screw you' to chaos and black crusade. Or, at least 'not yet'.

LowellDND posted:

Honestly, we're getting close to the rules as written XP cap. So at some point we'll need to decide if we stop getting XP, or we just continue the progression.

With the rate at which we purchase unpermanent upgrade and/or easily lose things, we're actually a behind a bit. I'm okay with continuing progression. Maybe then we'll actually learn something :p

Are we really that close to 50k exp? Dayum.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
+1 for The Exorcised Plan

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

TheParadigm posted:

I'd like to raise The Exorcised Elite Advance Package from the radical's handbook to the thread's consideration. It costs 500 xp and a fate point.(or ALL of your fate points if you can't afford the XP) lovely, but Thematically I like it: In the upcoming battle, abraxus attempts to possess ohone, who is then rebuked/saved by fabiyan.

Edit: For those that don't know, elite advance stuff isn't a level or an alt-level at all so much as it is a mini tacked-on group of things with an independant price. It doesn't interfere with our choice of classes at all. This one, however is... Hefty in its prices and consequences.

It seems to me that the nature of this conflict, the scene, and the players involved could very easily lead down such a path. I bring it up because its one of the very, very, very few ways to deal with chaos and retain one's sense of self: the exorcised are incredibly resistant to future corruption, and if we want to walk away from this in any semblance of one piece, we should pay the price up front and roll with the consequences later.

Pros and Cons:
Base Fellowship set to 10, -d5 wounds, +2d10 insanity.
Psynicience +10
Fearless(Immune to fear and pinning), Dark Soul, Resistance(psychic powers)
Immunity to warp shock
Halves all corruption points from any source.
Immune to the mutating effects of corruption
Revokes any daemonic talents and dark pacts, and prevents such things in the future.

You want to walk away from the memetic virus as, well, you? Pay the piper.

Pre-Pay for Exorcised and dump remaining XP into Fate Points

Lowell, what's our current max/cap on fate points? Roughly 3-4+1 for ascension tier, so in the ballpark of 4-5?

By my accounts, 5k xp should get us 6 fate points, two of which are immediately paid for/lost for story purposes, and a reserve of four to bring the pain. no matter what else we decide upon, we want probably at least 2 post-death-price.

Seems cool if we can buy multiple fate points.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
Does base fellowship 10 mean advances would then apply to that number? Because that's an extremely bad score going in to what could be a very talky part of the game, and could in theory push us into the high 70s insanity-wise. But it sounds useful for how often we touch the stovetop.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

As far as class options: remember that alot of these are substitutions from earlier, pre-ascension levels, and as such may have way different xp costs or abilities.

Also Keep in mind that anything we want from Magos 5 we can pick up later, as if we didn't skip it, by paying a little extra.

My vote is for Arch-Heretek: They have some exceptionally excellent powers when it comes to subverting electronics ( which ohone is proving adept at), and it doesn't even feel that heretek-ey so much as athenatek-ey to me. There's a few things of note:
Luminen Finger-gun Emp ray: on demand, just shuts down technology.
Yelling at machines to do your bidding: You can attempt to hijack anything with the Machine trait and int 20 or less, and boss it around. ANYthing.
Also, a stacking, but expensive bonus to tech use and security - as long as its hacking.

Calixian Malatek is also worth mentioning: They have a talent that lets us drop (Int Bonus) of degrees of success on a forbidden lore (daemonology), on demand, no matter the penalty, but only once per session.

This kind of might be worth it this fight. Just saying.

Screw the opportunity cost and perfect leveling, grab the biggest hammer you can. (as we already meet the prerequisites, it is only 200xp. It also has some other side benefits, but that's the big one)

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Aug 23, 2015

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
If LowellDND loved us and wanted us to be happy he'd deep-down know that we ate that fate point earlier as part of the Exorcised prereq, and we shouldn't have to shed another one. :downs:

e: changing vote from Magos to Exorcised. It just seems really interesting!

poor life choice fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Aug 23, 2015

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

poor life choice posted:

Does base fellowship 10 mean advances would then apply to that number? Because that's an extremely bad score going in to what could be a very talky part of the game, and could in theory push us into the high 70s insanity-wise. But it sounds useful for how often we touch the stovetop.

Its not entirely clear.

I'm assuming it would set our Base fellowship to 10 - (advances and homeworld stuff would still apply); it would be as if we rolled poor starting stats as more than a little bit of our humanity left with the daemon.

We'll need lowell to look it over and make a judgement(Radical's Handbook page 70), but fabiyan is kind of there to remind us of our humanity - and wiping away fellowship advances seems like it should refund it, or at least be funneled into other things to mitigate costs. I'd laugh if lowell gives us an opportunity to sell it back to us, though.

However, remember that we have Soul Of Iron from magos 1, which gives everyone else a -30 interacting against us - as far as opposed rolls and yammering at other people, we really don't care since skills can make up the difference and other people fail harder than us.

I do legend of the expanse, after having the chance to look at it, but its main 'cool thing' powers aren't worth the price: Never being Surprised doesn't help mitigate bad decisions, and Legendary relies on -successful- interaction tests. Which, if exorcism is on the table, is working at cross purposes. Survival comes first, though. Maybe next level.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I like exorcised, can we get that and do black crusade? I want to beat the poo poo out of demons on their own turf. If so +1 exorcised.

If that is a pseudo level and we get to actually level I'm going for Arch-Heretek . Tech is just a tool, the warp is just a tool, demons are no more evil to use as a tool then a grox or screwdriver.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Aug 23, 2015

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

poor life choice posted:

If LowellDND loved us and wanted us to be happy he'd deep-down know that we ate that fate point earlier as part of the Exorcised prereq, and we shouldn't have to shed another one. :downs:

This is perfect. Changing my vote for this.

LowellDND posted:

My line of thinking is that people seem to want to skip it entirely so we can have more writing.

Ill have the thread mull it over, it'll be a few months before we have to make a decision.

I would half way be ok with you just skipping the CYO part of this CYOA, and just writing to your heart's desire. :allears:

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Honestly I'd prefer it if it was moved to IRC so the people with knowledge can give their input and people who just want more story can wait out the decision.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I don't understand all the mechanics but I like the discussion (and giving my input in ignorance).

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot
Took me weeks to catch up when I found this (decided to read everything) but has been completely worth it!

Lowell you are some kind of mad genius. :)

I vote Heretec Savant or Arch Heretek. Plenty of inquisitors aren't afraid to use xenos/chaos poo poo so why should we?

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

TheChad posted:

Took me weeks to catch up when I found this (decided to read everything) but has been completely worth it!

I vote Heretec Savant or Arch Heretek. Plenty of inquisitors aren't afraid to use xenos/chaos poo poo so why should we?

Those Inquisitors usually do not have the best lives following their hasty decisions.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Still reading over the rules and talking with IRC people, but I like the idea. Ill let you know how it goes.

The Wasteland

You awoke to the crackle of the Geiger counter.

Radiation. High levels, at that. Your metalline bones were already bathed in it, and you could feel your synthetic skin starting to peel. It would need replacing, and soon. You cycled through your implants, trying to get oriented. As far as you could tell, the machines were functioning properly. You shifted your weight - you were wet, and laying down. Mud?

You started to sit up, felt the twist in your spine. Something was wrong. It was still moving, and seemed unbroken, but … twisted. It would need replacing. Your mind reached out to the memory of the xeno-spine, and then pushed away. You would find something else. Augmented eyes swept the horizon. A slow, sloughing landscape of mud. Your sensors started going wild. Toxicity off the charts.

Poisonous air, radioactive soil. Black and bitter clouds coming closer, suggesting acid rain. You reached for your gas-mask, tried not to think of Fabiyan. He had chosen it for you. You had your NBC gear, but no power-armor. Minimal weapons, mostly the implants. Your heart quailed as you looked about you. Everything was… awful. An ugliness that savaged the very soul. If only you had taken the fruit of Gorgon, if only you had stayed…

The clicking of needles. You glanced over, a mound of debris that hadn’t been there. Sincera Pax, out in the open without protective gear. Her eyes watched you over her glasses, even as her fingers continued the familiar clicking. She didn’t smile.

“You really screwed up this one, didn’t you.”

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Ego Trip posted:

Just got caught up.

I was all "this is getting good" and then I was all "you son of a bitch".

Waci, save us!

TheChad posted:

Welcome! Good to have you! :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Respond with a resigned air. "Sincera. You aren't real, and me seeing you is a clear sign that I am getting somewhat unhinged. I just wanted you to know that. That said... yes, I clearly did."