Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Yes, Focus on Fabian. Focus on the Emperor. Focus on the Omnissiah. If we are in the warp, faith will help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
If we're not going to space/trash chute Anna/Sincera at least write a program for ourselves that lets us ignore that she's there (but still record what 'she' 'does' for posterity's sake.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

As an aside, everyone should probably watch Rick and Morty S1E4 :D

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

LowellDND posted:

lowel pls

e: get schwifty

poor life choice fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Sep 1, 2015

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

LowellDND posted:

Everyone should watch every episode of Rick and Morty

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
We could always count on "auntie pax".

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

LowellDND posted:

But all the potential retinue members were zany, wacky characters that popped out of nowhere :ohdear:

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

Shadeoses posted:

But all the potential retinue members were zany, wacky characters that popped out of nowhere :ohdear:

So the only real Retiune members are the Catgirls. Got it.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Arkanomen posted:

So the only real Retiune members are the was Catgirls Snarls. Got it.

:colbert:

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
I don't have a bad memory of Snarls. He's dead though.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Haha reading the op.
What Makes a Human?

Apparently it it's loving up and then doing it all over again.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Maybe we should change that to "What unmakes a human?"

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Why is this even in question? Don't lower our defenses or let any of the warp illusions do anything to us!
I think both focusing on the emperor and trying to get into the Warp should be good attempts to do something about this situation.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Hallucinate that you're sane.
Pro strat right there, basically the freebie derangement choice, which is why it's so common.

At least you're not stuck in a 1950s sitcom, with a laughtrack every time you do something zany like see people who aren't there.

Rockopolis fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Sep 1, 2015

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

votes

drink
hiho

drink and trust
xun
zybourne
lct

call athena
ark

dont lower defenses
tomn
sullat
sheep dodger

fake sanity
rockopolis

find blank
ralith
PLC

call emperor
nyaa
mepstein
oasx
sniper
tran
van sandman

kill everything
dead meat

personnel check
outrail

get ching shih
waci
hexen

Interesting.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
changing my vote to don't trust, go get crunk

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Todays music: Birthday Massacre

Are you there, God-Emperor? It’s me, Ohone

You laughed humorlessly. “If I’m still in the Warp, than none of you can be trusted with my head. No to all those offers.”
Limosa paused. “Well. You have the run of the ship, of course. We shall maintain things in your absence. We’ve received word from Krieg that you put in a special order, and we’ve told them to go ahead to Golgotha. We will be heading to Terra, unless there is somewhere you wanted to see on the way?”
You shrugged. “One place is as good as another. I brought you here with a snap of the fingers, going to Terra will be much the same.”
“Well. It will be a couple of months, but yes.”

You turned your back on them, walked away. This entire ship was … strange. Not the place you had lived in for the last few years. The corridors were all wrong, there were no Dregs, no Shallows and Deeps. No Between. Just bunker after bunker, barricade after barricade, a bulwark against all the things that haunted Humanity’s dreams. You walked passed thousands of gas masks who saluted at you, and didn’t notice it at all.

You let your feet take you wherever they went. You didn’t have a destination, and while you could have pulled up a map as easy as breathing, it didn’t really matter. You turned left and right, up and down ramparts and through blast doors, and ignored everything around you. It was eerily quiet, even with the tens of thousands of people living here. All you could hear was the background noise of the engines - it felt like you were the only person in this vast city.

This necropolis.

You shuffled your way through the dreamscape, and then looked around you, startled. Familiarity? An extended chamber, with all the luxuries money could buy. A half dozen servants in red and white stood by, waiting, and you glanced into the next room. Frederik Di Musio, resting in his oversized couch, wires and tubes connecting him to various machines. You glanced through them in a moment - cancer treatments.

He looked up at you and smiled wanly. “Ohone. You came back.”
You stumbled for words. “Of course. We have to get you to walk on Terra’s ground.”
He coughed sickly. “The trip is taking more time than I remember.”
“Warp troubles.”
Di Musio chuckled morbidly. “Even now, the Great Enemy is trying to twist the knife in one of the Faithful.”
You had to smile. “Yeah. They are rude like that.”
He took a deep breath from his breather. “You know, when I faked my death from cancer.” Another breath. “I didn’t expect to actually end up with it.”
You paused. “How long do they think you have?”
“A few months. I’ll make it to Terra, no matter what these machines say.”
“I know you will.”

He wearily wiped his face of sweat. His solid bulk of muscle was wasting away. You almost quailed at the sight. He had been so great… was still great. “And you? How have you been?”
You sat down next to him. “Got exposed to a Gellar breach.”
Frederik raised his eyebrows, or where they had been. “Nasty.”
“Yeah. And they really messed with my head. I’m not sure if I’m still there, or if I made it out. I’m seeing the faces of the dead.”
He met your eyes. “Tell you a secret.”
“Yeah?”
“I do too.”
“Really?”
He coughed again, wetly. “Yeah. You don’t kill as many people as we do without having ghosts.”
“These were my friends.”
“Like I said.” He waved weakly. “Ghosts of friends, ghosts of enemies. They never really leave you.”
“Do… do you talk to them?”
“Sometimes.” He chuckled. “Not when anyone’s looking. But it’s good to reflect, sometimes.”
“Is.. that it? You just ignore them otherwise?”
He made the shadow of a shrug. “What else can you do? You don’t trust anyone else in your head, I don’t.”
“But I still think I’m in the Warp.”
“And I was Lord-Sire, beset by enemies on all sides. It doesn’t really change anything. Paranoia is survival.”
“So.. I should act like I’m here? In reality?”
He smiled in black humor. “Otherwise you’ll go mad.”

You sat together in silence for a while, listening to the machines helping him breath.
“Ohone?”
“Yes?”
He reached gently out to you, holding your hand. “Pray with me?”

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
pray to slaan emperor.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Nyaa posted:

pray to slaan emperor.

pray to slaan

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

1: Start New Game
2: Start New Game
3: Start New Game

:aaa:
Pray to the Omnissiah

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

D'awwww pray with space dad

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Pray to the emp

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Pray to Fabian. And the Emperor.

Lowell I worry about an unreliable narrator at this stage in the game. The stakes are very high, and while yes statwise Ohone is pretty bonkers I worry that the CYOA will suffer as the relationship between readers and yourself gets more adversarial as we try to 'trick' our way out of the situation and you have to deal with crazy levels of reader paranoia. Trust is so critical between you and us now. While yes it would be extremely 40k for everything to be an illusion/not an illusion and have it blow up in our faces, it's not very fun to read or play! I'd much rather us gently caress up due to our own mistakes and errors rather than not finding the secret combination of actions that shows the truth. You've gotten us through tricky situations before without trouble, So I hope I'm worrying needlessly. Anyway, I just needed to voice my concerns. Thanks for writing.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

VanSandman posted:

Pray to Fabian. And the Emperor.

Lowell I worry about an unreliable narrator at this stage in the game. The stakes are very high, and while yes statwise Ohone is pretty bonkers I worry that the CYOA will suffer as the relationship between readers and yourself gets more adversarial as we try to 'trick' our way out of the situation and you have to deal with crazy levels of reader paranoia. Trust is so critical between you and us now. While yes it would be extremely 40k for everything to be an illusion/not an illusion and have it blow up in our faces, it's not very fun to read or play! I'd much rather us gently caress up due to our own mistakes and errors rather than not finding the secret combination of actions that shows the truth. You've gotten us through tricky situations before without trouble, So I hope I'm worrying needlessly. Anyway, I just needed to voice my concerns. Thanks for writing.

Oh, I completely agree. I had kind of written the lord-sire scene to wrap up the unreliable narrator and get on with the plot.

I mean, I still think she should be seeing ghosts and having occasional dissociative moments, but its not something I want to get in the way of game play. Just something Ill use for character development/inner monologue introspection.

edit: What I think Ill do is write a little thing on how you feel comforted in the Emperor's grace and whatever, and duty compels you foward whether its real or not.

That out of the way: Are we doing anything before Terra?

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
reestablish control and dominance on the ship. It's been two years. Long enough for many things to be hidden away.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Go talk to the Blood Ravens Alpha Legion Iron Hands and make them give back our drat armor. Seriously. We could've lived if we had the armor.

VanSandman fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Sep 1, 2015

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
We should install the warpy spine. Deal with that little spine of ours.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
The spine thingie would almost certainly add more insanity, FYI.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
Now that we've OOC established that this reality-doubting is coming to an end I'm still very much in favor of getting an anti-warp/anti-insanity session with Limosa. Even if there isn't a game mechanic insanity reduction maybe he teaches us the ancient art of inception anchors or something.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Does the thread want to know when you left the Warp? Yes/No

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

LowellDND posted:

Does the thread want to know when you left the Warp? Yes/No

Of course we do!

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Yes, most certainly

if we ever entered the warp to begin with :tinfoil:

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Yes

I kind of agree with a previous poster. You are very fond of the unreliable narrator and sudden perspective shift, which makes comprehending or even following the story a bit difficult at times. If I as a participator in your game don't know what is going on, it also prohibits me from voting or taking part. That said I love the story and your writing is excellent, and I understand that our ever growing insanity plays a large part in why the story gets a bit confusing at times.

So yes, Pray to the Emperor that the Fog of Doubt gets lifted from our eyes, that we might better Serve Him in purging the galaxy of Xenos and Heresy.
And throw in a quick binary prayer to Athena that we might find a voice of reason in this strange, chaotic world.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Swedish Thaumocracy posted:

You are very fond of the unreliable narrator and sudden perspective shift, which makes comprehending or even following the story a bit difficult at times.

Now, this is kind of important. While we're discussing it, is anyone confused by what's happened so far? I plan to answer when we left the warp next post, but beyond that. Everything making sense within it's context? Any questions about what's happened so far?

Hot Dog Day 80
Jun 23, 2003
Uhh, maybe?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

What are they? :cheeky: Im trying to find the balance between Ohone's mental illness and player confusion.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
Was it "Dull Roots with Spring Rain," when Ohone reached out using a "computer" and found the Kreig?

If not then, I'm guessing that it was when we snapped back from the Emperor hero quest thing. That's when we went from attacking Matthias to having murdered a random tech priest.

e:

LowellDND posted:

What are they? :cheeky: Im trying to find the balance between Ohone's mental illness and player confusion.

I've been operating with the understanding that Ohone is 70/100 on the insanity scale, but the phrase "mental illness" does reinforce that Ohone is someone who'd IRL be admitted for inpatient care, therapy and a suite of medications for her delusions. When people see something and think "Warp!" it could be "legit, deep-seated brain problems."

Ohone is broken. I am serious about our next hero quest (delusion?) being a mental health one, heh.

poor life choice fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Sep 1, 2015

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

LowellDND posted:

is anyone confused by what's happened so far?

I'm not that well-versed in 40k lore, and I've been at least partly lost since we had that chat with our (actual) mother and the thread went bugfuck nuts over the idea of some guy or other maybe being dodgy. Mostly, I've had at least a thumbnail grip on what was going on minute by minute, but not always even that.

I don't have any useful questions though. Wouldn't know where to begin. I'm sure that sooner or later, stuff will make sense again. In the mean time, it's an entertaining ride!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
I've been lost since we got to Agarthas World basically. I have a rough idea of what has happened, there was an important party that got skipped and then suddenly Fabiyan was fighting Gorgon-Mother and then suddenly we are in the warp and then suddenly we are out of the warp maybe? Or maybe we aren't and we are hallucinating a two year time-skip that we made for some reason? The planet was an Eldar-machine and was promptly eaten by chaos. The whole chapter feels like a dream to me.

An interesting dream, though.