Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grabpot Thundergust
Jul 6, 2010
Seconding Who is Lucifer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
Have a thing someone in #acolyte pointed out. An interactive map of the 40k galaxy with planet stats and descriptions.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Tran posted:

Since you brought it up. a relevant question: "Has there been any sign of my husband?"

Seconded.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

poor life choice posted:

Do they like wrasslin'

All I can think is to try to feel out some more of Kozilek's grand schemes before this crusade biz got underway. He was interested in the Beast and has that Eldar hateboner. So some slick variations on "why me," "why the Beast," "Why are we here in the warp" "What are you all about man"

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
We should look at the creature with extreme distaste and a desire to spatter it across the walls but not say anything.
That way we cover the bases of wanting to purge the xeno, as well as giving the impression were okay with bowing to his belief that things are bad enough to justify it. Now we come out looking fine if it's a test or not.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
I mean, it's been quite a while. Lowel can we get a run down of what Ohone knows about the boss?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Kinetica posted:

We should look at the creature with extreme distaste and a desire to spatter it across the walls but not say anything.
That way we cover the bases of wanting to purge the xeno, as well as giving the impression were okay with bowing to his belief that things are bad enough to justify it. Now we come out looking fine if it's a test or not.
Second.

It's also entirely in character.

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
Ask the creature what it's doing here; shoot it in the face if it doesn't immediately answer.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
We met that inquisitor that ran around with a Daemonhost, if nobody raises an eyebrow at that, then a xeno is nothing, doing anything to harm it will make us look like a bumbling fool. Considering that we aren't exactly pure human ourselves, it is stupid not to accept that some xeno races are equivalent to humans.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah, I say do not shoot the xenos.

Ask Kozilek and the Knights for help with our ticking time bomb.

Ask how we can coordinate efforts to recover the STC.

I'd like to ask about the various conspiracy theories related to the darkness and the Ultramarines, but I don't know how to do that without loading everyone off.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Zybourne Clock posted:

Ask the creature what it's doing here; shoot it in the face if it doesn't immediately answer.
Yes lets shoot what is clearly our boss' invited quest. Great idea.

Oasx posted:

We met that inquisitor that ran around with a Daemonhost, if nobody raises an eyebrow at that
He got executed for it.

Oasx posted:

Considering that we aren't exactly pure human ourselves, it is stupid not to accept that some xeno races are equivalent to humans.
Uhhhh... Hi, welcome to Warhammer 40K, where people are some times a little xenophobic. Absolutely do not say or even think anything of this sort out loud so that we maybe don't have to shoot ourself in the head.

Arcturas posted:

Ask Kozilek and the Knights for help with our ticking time bomb.
Which we don't remember exists.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Waci posted:

He got executed for it.
He got executed for murdering another Inquisitor, the daemonhost thing was an extenuating circumstance.

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.

Waci posted:

Yes lets shoot what is clearly our boss' invited quest. Great idea.

As someone else said, this could very well be a test. This place is filled with lots of dangerous knowledge, isn't it? It'd make sense for Kozilek to test his protégé; see how willing she is to casually throw away everything she's been taught about not trusting the xenos in exchange for power.

If the xeno has a legitimate reason to be here then he'll answer, and no harm will be done.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
I wanna know how the Grey Knights even permitted that Tau scum inside to begin with. I mean I guess it's pretty resistant to warp influence but really, if I was a Grey Knight just even the hint of a xeno lurking near Terra would get my chain-sword in a twist.

It's a test, shoot the Xeno.

Not like our boss just can't go get another one.

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011

Arkanomen posted:

I wanna know how the Grey Knights even permitted that Tau scum inside to begin with. I mean I guess it's pretty resistant to warp influence but really, if I was a Grey Knight just even the hint of a xeno lurking near Terra would get my chain-sword in a twist.

It's a test, shoot the Xeno.

Not like our boss just can't go get another one.

Pretty much all of this.

Sour Blossom
Apr 21, 2005
L O L 6 6
Don't shoot the xenos. The Grey Knights are all powerful psykers and could sense us coming. We'd probably end up shorter by a meter before our weapons could arm. Not to mention that Kozilek probably has a plan for that alien since it's here, and this is the last place we want to tread on a fellow Inquisitor's toes.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Sour Blossom posted:

Don't shoot the xenos. The Grey Knights are all powerful psykers and could sense us coming. We'd probably end up shorter by a meter before our weapons could arm. Not to mention that Kozilek probably has a plan for that alien since it's here, and this is the last place we want to tread on a fellow Inquisitor's toes.

[b]This makes sense.[/s]

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Even if all xeno are scum, we are an Inquisitor now and only a mindless fool would shoot an alien on sight, especially an alien that seems to be the guest of the Grey Knights and a legendary Inquisitor.
That is like finally getting to sit at the adult table, and the first thing you do is pour a plate of spaghetti over your head. We have a brain, we are expected to use it.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Oasx posted:

That is like finally getting to sit at the adult table, and the first thing you do is pour a plate of spaghetti over your head. We have a brain, we are expected to use it.

+1

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Don't shoot the Xeno.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Tell Lord Inquisitor, we don't we pokp?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Or we act like a rational person and ask "Why exactly is that Tau here, in the middle of the grey nights most holy sanctuary?"

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.

Kinetica posted:

I get why you might think this way, but I want to be very clear that we are not a better manipulator than Kozilek. He's been in the game of nudging events from the shadows for long enough that the other inquisitors call him a myth. Do not expect him to be too stupid to realize the obvious attempt to hedge your bets.

On top of this we should keep in mind that Ohone is obsessed with rigid hierarchies. If anyone has a place in her worldview as equal or superior, he probably qualifies.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Slice of Life: Brother Bricellus, Black Priest of Fabiyan

Somewhere down in what used to be The Deeps, a small detachment of Krieg have surrounded a ramshackle abode, its windows boarded up, releasing only flickering slivers of lamplight. At the front of the house a semicircle of Krieg, lasguns shouldered and aimed, surround a slender, shirtless and oil-streaked dreg with blood oozing from a shattered nose. Standing before him, a completely black-clad figure wearing what at first appears to be a Krieg greatcoat until one notices the small articles of faith and purity dangling from it, and the chainsword and bolt pistol at the figure's waist. All black, all of it. Upon his back, in several shades of slate, shale and obsidian, an emblem depicting on one half a gas mask and a great, feathered wing and the other a servitor skull and a mechanical wing comprised of several blades.

"Wretched traitor, you have been witnessed on eight different occasions during supplication deriving enjoyment from the prescribed excoriations and flagellations. Eleven different members of the congregation have stepped forward and attested to sounds of an almost sexual nature when you have applied unto yourself the rod and the barbed whip." The man's voice was like churning earth, a sepulchral growl like tectonic plates grinding against one another as opposed to the frenzied shrieking one might expect from a Priest.

"But Your Eminence," the heretic whined, the inflection made the Priest's eyes narrow to slits. "Is it not right to find pleasure in your faith? To love the feel of the whip as it rips at tender f--"

"HALT your tongue, heretic." The Priest's first word was growled more than yelled, but there was something quietly overwhelming about his presence. As he spoke, his words his form seemed to loom greater, like a swelling shadow set to choke the life out of the heretic before him. "We have found evidence of your perversions within, including an icon of the Enemy."

He glanced in the broken doorway at a beautifully-wrought piece of highly-polished steel, bent and shaped with such love and devotion as to make Saints weep. It tugged at the eye, pulled your gaze toward it and filled your heart with a sense of swelling desire. The Priest's upper lip curled into first a sneer, then a bare-toothed snarl of such vitriolic hatred as to make him seem more beast than man. His gloved fingers closed around the grip of the bolt pistol at his hip, black like everything else upon him, and etched in High Gothic upon the side, the word "Faith." There was a loud CRACK followed by a muffled explosion, several broken pieces of metal bounced out of the abode and were promptly kicked back inside.

"My Faith is stronger than your mewling pervert of a Master, in fact it was one of his prancing catamite servants that led to me standing here now a bulwark against him. There is NOTHING he could offer that would sway my heart and soul away from The Emperor's Chosen Son, Saint Fabiyan The Resurrector and His Holy Bride, Our Lady of Abrogation, The Iron Maiden Ohone. Now KNEEL." Never once did his voice rise above that rumble, thick and cloying like graveyard earth. Circling around the heretic as he holstered the bolt pistol, the Priest's right hand closed upon the hilt of the chainsword, which like the bolt pistol was completely blackened except for the gold etched word "Duty."

The heretic's pathetic will was as nothing before the Priest's powers of intimidation as he fell to the ground, the growl in his voice seemingly a greater terror than the lasguns pointed at him. "For your crimes against the Imperium of Man, for your perversion of the Faith, for betraying the munificence of Our Lady in allowing you to live upon Her ship, and for relinquishing your soul to the Enemy, you are hereby found to be Traitoris Extremis and a loathsome heretic and are sentenced to death." The chainsword's motor throbbed throatily as it started, pulsing into a higher whine a couple of times as the Priest flexed his arm. Two Krieg twisted the heretic's arms and held him on his knees. The Priest leaned in and snarled "Duty calls, and even the faithless and the heretic shall be called to serve." As he turned sidelong and swept his gaze over the gathered Krieg and then up toward a passing servitor skull, he swept the chainsword upward from his side, the motor screaming as ceramite teeth spun to the limit of their ability and then fell silent. The only sound following it was a wet thunk and then the crumpling sound of the heretic's corpse. He had considered first bifurcating the heretic from groin to gullet but given the nature of the heretic's perversions, that would have been a blessing. No, this was better.

"Burn all of it. The remains. The domicile. Everything, and then report to the Cathedral for cleansing rites. Let this taint never touch our congregation again. This, however, I shall deliver to the Mechanicus. Service does not end with death." He reached down and grabbed the head by its tuft of hair, departing to the sound of heavy boots thunking on the deckplates. Fading behind him, he heard the sound of several incendiary grenades and smiled.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

:allears:

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

I had the basic idea that one percolating in my head for a couple of days, couldn't wait to get it written up :D

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Hexenritter posted:

I had the basic idea that one percolating in my head for a couple of days, couldn't wait to get it written up :D

Best way :D

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

That servo-skull is going to be conspicuously loitering around Ohone, making sure that it is seen by her to be purposefully crashing into walls as the pain-seeking perversion has its way with the machine-spirit.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

questions:
what exactly is a demon and how do you kill it permanently
can you cleanse my warp corruption
why me
who is lucifer
do we work with AI?
what the hell was with that warp transition
what inquisitors made it off the pleasure planet
fabian out of the warp
why tau
heroquest
possible to relax
sign of husband
what is koz about/what do we know

kill xeno:

yes

arkanomen
arbitraryTA

no
sullat
grognan
tran
random paul
waci
oasx
kinetica
jt jag
arcturas
sour blossom
random paul
lord crya

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

I'm a no on the kill the xeno thing, but I think we should be visibly uncomfortable about this.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
No to the Xeno murder, this time.
Ask: Any plans we could help with? Any noisy, obvious maneuvers we could pull that could support a more subtle plan you have in the works? We're good at loud and blatant.

Numeron
Mar 23, 2012

A whole new world in
the palm of my hand.
Didn't we have/Don't we have a Tau on our ship working for us?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Sort of, we haven't decided the Tau's fate yet.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

He's alive, his minder is dead of an OSHA.jpg accident, and he has probably spent the last two years in hiding aboard the tau ship portion of the beast.

At least, that's what our last evidence suggests.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
As far as questions go, let's see.
What enemy forces are moving on Golgotha?

What can you tell me of the incident where an unusual probe was detected and destroyed by the Grey Knights within most holy Terra?

Where can we find records of the Dark Age war of the Abominable Intelligences?

Who do you favor to win the World Series this year?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Tweekin N Funkin by Modulate

Take council

You tried to control your visible distaste at the xeno. “Is it possible to kill a daemon? Permanently, I mean?”
Kozilek chuckled. “You loathe her too, don’t you. The vileness of the xeno.”
She turned. “I heard that, Kozilek.”
He showed more teeth than smile. “It would have been wasted if you hadn’t.”

“Children…” The Grand Master’s - Leorac’s - voice was a rumble.
The xeno and Kozilek moved to the chairs, although they still stared at each other in amiable disgust.
“Our young Inquisitor Ohone raised a good question. What was it?”
You blinked as all heads turned. “Ah - is it possible to kill a daemon?”
Some quiet murmurs, shaken heads. Leorac spoke again. “Not as such.”
You sighed. “So they’ll just keep coming back then.”

“Not quite.” His response surprised you. “Individually, they can be banished, or chained.”
“But those will come back. Someone will summon them, or release them.”
He nodded somberly. “And how would you stop that?”
“Well. A lot of our methods already. Keeping their Names secret, minimizing information.”
“Certainly. What else?”
“Modifying the human, additional mental training. The Grey Knights have never suffered a betrayal to the Great Enemy.”
The Grand Master nodded again. “That’s true. What stops us from doing it for everyone?”
“I presume that not everyone can survive the changes, or the training. Or the transition is prohibitive in some way.”
His eyes bored into yours. “And do you think that worth it? Shedding the ones who cannot survive, so that humanity can?”
You considered it thoughtfully, even as everyone there watched you. “I would say we do it to a certain extent already. The Inquisition purges many people, planets, so that the Imperium may survive.”
He nodded. “Do you think we should apply the standards of the Grey Knights to everyone? To prevent every potential of Incursion?”
You grimaced. “I don’t think it would be effective, honestly.”
“Why is that?”
“We would be killing entire planets to save one person.”
“Less than that, Inquisitor. Less than that.”
“So, all we would have left would be a few dozen thousand Grey Knights. Not enough for a city, let alone a galaxy.”
Leorac looked around him at the others. “Thusly so. However, the Inquisitor is developing her own methods, which are not as severe.”
You blinked. “The survivors of the dynastic struggle? They are like Grey Knights somehow?”
“The Abrogates. Think about it. They cast all from themselves, becoming one whole of servitude and obedience. Is there even a whisper of cult activity?”
“No. Not at all.”
“We could see you riding the Warp. The Beast cast a shadow, calming the waters around it.”
“Wait. So if everyone became Abrogates, we would calm the Warp?”
“Not entirely, but far more than it is now.” He stared at you. “Do you think the price worth it?”

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

I wonder if some ancient proto-tyranid ever had this same conversation

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

If we all stripped away our souls to spite the demons, what would be left to save?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

"I think the question is ultimately this: is safety from the perils of the Warp worth casting away our humanity? Dare we presume we know better than the God-Emperor what our species' destiny should be?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mepstein73
Sep 18, 2012

Whether or not you find your own way, you're bound to find some way. If you happen to find my way, please return it, as it was lost years ago. I imagine by now it's quite rusty.
NO!!!

THINK OF FABIYAN. Think of what he loved. He loved beautiful things. He loved our natural legs. He loved life, and if he could see what the ship has turned into... I don't think he'd love it as much.

Remember our talk with Sincera and Skade? About what makes us human?

LowellDND posted:

The system is down

You paused, sipped tea. “Sincera, a question.”
“Yes my dear?”
“What makes a human?”
She blinked in surprise. “What do you mean?”
“In your point of view. What makes a human?”
Sincera paused thoughtfully. “Dear, I’ll have to think about that one.”

“I know.” Skade leaped in. “I know the answer to this one.”
You looked at her. “What is it?”
“Service.” She looked proud at her answer.
“How you figure?”
“Service, up or down. Dregs serve the nobility. Nobility has obligations to the Dregs. I serve you. You have obligations as an officer back.”
“So service makes a human?”
She nodded. “Xenos don’t have it. And when we lose it, we lose sight of the God-Emperor. Surrender to the Enemy.”
“That’s a good answer.” She beamed.

“Actions.”
“Not Duty?” You asked, thinking of the Krieg. Sincera shook her head.
“Duty is an obligation, but it doesn’t mean you follow up on it. You can fail in your duties. Actions, though, that’s where you find out what a person is.”
“How so?”
“By their actions, you shall know them. Does someone submit to the Enemy? Do their fight to their last breath?”
“Isn’t that service, though?”
“No - service is a relation to others. Actions can be what you do when no one else is looking.” Her words were soft, lost in memory.

“What about you?” Skade looked curious.
“Me?”
“Yes, you. Lord-high General Ohone, high muckety muck of all the Armies. What makes a human?”
You paused. “I’m not sure yet. I’m still trying to find out.”
She threw a ball of yarn at you. “Bah. We answered, you are just shy.”
“I’m not shy! I’m just trying to be precise!”
“Be vague then. What makes a human? In general?”
Sincera looked at you interestedly. What did you think made a human?

“Mm… self improvement maybe. We all train to be better at what we are. Xenos don’t, they are what they are forever. Those that fall to the Enemy, actually lose their capabilities. Right now, that’s my answer.”
Both nodded thoughtfully. The knitting continued for a little while.

We are not just creatures of service or actions. We are creatures of self-improvement. If that coincides with us fulfilling duty, good. If our actions are good, even better. But we are trying to be more. The Abrogate movement strips away pieces of its followers. Pieces that I think Ohone would believe are important. She is more than just duty to the Emperor, to the Omnissiah, the Inquisition or Athena. She is complicated emotions: love, regret, fear. I don't think she'd ever give that up, as much as she talks the talk of finding a true physical form. Besides, look at what Amacita's become under it. We find that somewhat wrong, remember?

So my vote is no. Do not cast off all the trappings beyond duty.