Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Outrail posted:

Why are we seeking any sort of title? We should be focusing in becoming so badass people do what we want just because of what we've become, not who.

Because hats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Can we put a few hundred xp into headgear design?

Tremynci
Jun 16, 2012

Sogol posted:

Well, some people had been advocating compromising the integrity of the sweetener tanks while others had been suggesting this would have little or no effect. I was just posting reference material.

Gotcha. One of my more favorite events in history. I know it makes me a horrible person who's gonna burn in hell, but I really can't get through explaining, "Yeah, more than a dozen people died by being asphyxiated by a 25-foot high tidal wave of treacle moving at 35 MPH" without laughing... It's just so drat implausible.

Outrail posted:

Can we put a few hundred xp into headgear design?

Surely a wig. Rather like a barrister, but more terrifying? Like... a bunch of metal snakes, or something?

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

my dad posted:

Because hats.

I will say that Inquisitors do get some snazzy hats, almost on par of those worn by the Commissariat, but tech-priests only get robes with hoods...

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

GhostStalker posted:

I will say that Inquisitors do get some snazzy hats, almost on par of those worn by the Commissariat, but tech-priests only get robes with hoods...

Also digi-weapons! Climb the ranks and get a handful of digi-weapons! Nothing like having a couple inferno pistols strapped to your fingers!

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Clearly we need some kind of super tech-hat with guns and grabby claws coming out of it.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Go go gadget inquisitor!

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

More hats more better! Go full tf2 with an entire tower of gogo-gadget inquisitor/commissar hats

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Xun posted:

More hats more better! Go full tf2 with an entire tower of gogo-gadget inquisitor/commissar hats

Only if the daemon or xenos gets to sit in the shadows stroking a mutant Flours while mumbling "I'll get you next time Ohone, next time."

Redly
Aug 17, 2014

Meep! ^_^
Vote Count

Current trend is some version of "go after the Xeno, but..."
Plan my dad involves leaving the servitors to help fight the demon
Meanwhile, Cannon_fodder suggested leaving the mastiff instead
And across multiple votes, people mention "keep texting Lord-Sire updates"...
... and also "grab interesting items on your way out", like weapons, relics, etc.

6 - A) Leave this battle, disrupt Xeno
0 - B) Open fire from elevated position
0 - C) Fire into Thing vs Grey Guards melee
1 - D) Beastmaster Hunter raid mechanics
12 - E1) Plan my dad: serv @ demon, rest to Xeno
1 - E2) Cannon_Fodder: mastiff @ demon, rest to Xeno

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

THREAD UPDATE

This CYOA is still active! But I'm given to understand that there exists a "CYOA curse"? I'm afraid LowellDND has fallen to it again. If any of you can help, please speak up!

Just recently, they updated the Mac OS to Yosemite, and suddenly their computer is basically unusable. Once it boots, it takes 10-15 minutes to accomplish any small task, such as opening a program. Meanwhile, Mac's browser Safari won't load any webpages at all for 'em.

LowellDND has already run through the standard tasks, including the instructions listed on various help websites such as flushing cache, deleting some files, and whatnot. I'm a Windows user myself, so I can't really help out with Mac troubleshooting. Can anyone solve this for 'em, so this thread can get rollin' again?

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Do you know what OS his computet came with originally? And has he run Disk Utility and done Verify Disk on the partition that contains the OS?

Redly
Aug 17, 2014

Meep! ^_^

FireSight posted:

Do you know what OS his computet came with originally? And has he run Disk Utility and done Verify Disk on the partition that contains the OS?

LowellDND is investigating what these utilities are, and running them.
Meanwhile, it seems a patch for Safari has been released, so they're grabbing that and installing.
It seems the computer slowness is one issue, but hopefully the patch will move Safari from "inoperable" to "slow but working" status.

More updates as they come. ^_^

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Another option is to backup critical data, then wipe & reinstall, but that's kinda a drastic option.

Esper
Nov 23, 2004
Killed a baboon, once.
Argh, a delay versus the boss fight! It's torturous,. Not sure if I've posted here yet but just wanted to say I'm loving the thread. I've only treaded very lightly in the warhammer world (I played the MMORPG for a month or two and read various background information) but this has made me a little more interested. Are there any warhammer books which are genuinely well written & enjoyable that people would like to recommend?

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Redly posted:

LowellDND is investigating what these utilities are, and running them.
Meanwhile, it seems a patch for Safari has been released, so they're grabbing that and installing.
It seems the computer slowness is one issue, but hopefully the patch will move Safari from "inoperable" to "slow but working" status.

More updates as they come. ^_^

Disk Utility is built into the OS. Applications folder -> Utilities folder -> Disk Utility

Tremynci
Jun 16, 2012

Esper posted:

Argh, a delay versus the boss fight! It's torturous,. Not sure if I've posted here yet but just wanted to say I'm loving the thread. I've only treaded very lightly in the warhammer world (I played the MMORPG for a month or two and read various background information) but this has made me a little more interested. Are there any warhammer books which are genuinely well written & enjoyable that people would like to recommend?

Anything by Dan Abnett, personally: he writes the Gaunt's Ghosts series, which is more regular-old-people infantry, and wrote the Ravenor and Eisenhorn trilogies: both of those protagonists are Inquisitors like our Ohone. I'm also fond of Matthew Ferrer's Enforcer trilogy -- Shira Calpurnia is about as close as Warhammer 40K gets to a common-or-garden cop.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Tremynci posted:

Anything by Dan Abnett, personally: he writes the Gaunt's Ghosts series, which is more regular-old-people infantry, and wrote the Ravenor and Eisenhorn trilogies: both of those protagonists are Inquisitors like our Ohone. I'm also fond of Matthew Ferrer's Enforcer trilogy -- Shira Calpurnia is about as close as Warhammer 40K gets to a common-or-garden cop.

Ohone's not an inquisitor, she's not even an acolyte. She reports to an acolyte, maybe.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Tremynci posted:

There's also Abnett's Titanicus, which is a good look insider the Adeptus Mechanicus, of which Ohone is a part.

Sandy Mitchell's Ciaphas Cain series is also good for a combination of humor and action, following the adventures of the aforementioned Commissar.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Tremynci posted:

I'm also fond of Matthew Ferrer's Enforcer trilogy -- Shira Calpurnia is about as close as Warhammer 40K gets to a common-or-garden cop.

God drat it! Something I get intrigued by and can't find anywhere :cry: why would you do this to me!?

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Just started reading the Eisenhorn trilogy, thanks for the recommendation!

mepstein73
Sep 18, 2012

Whether or not you find your own way, you're bound to find some way. If you happen to find my way, please return it, as it was lost years ago. I imagine by now it's quite rusty.
Hey there everyone,

Just wanted to say that it's been a true pleasure working with you all these past few months on the story of Ohone. We've raced Servitors, fought xenos, stood up to demons, dissected cats, and thwarted many insidious plots, all through the powers of voting on the narrative. As we're nearing the end of this climactic battle, I want to say that, win or lose, we've told an awesome story with the help of our dedicated OP and narrator LowellDND at the helm. I recently looked at the locations listed in some of this thread's posters' public profiles, and we've had people all around the world commenting and voting on this CYOA. I for one think that's pretty cool, and I'm sure LowellDND would as well.

In any case, just wanted to say thank you to all parties involved in making this thread the best it can be. It inspires me to do better in my own storytelling and creative work, and I'm super glad to see people getting into Dark Heresy/40K lore, novels, and the RPG because of it, especially if they hadn't known much about the game before.

Onwards to 2015! All glory to the Emperor!

-mepstein73

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

mepstein73 posted:

Onwards to 2015! All glory to the Emperor!

Don't you mean M3.150? Happy Feast of the Emperor's Ascension!

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Dec 25, 2014

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

It's a Christmas Miracle!

Finally got a good working patch and the internet is moving along smoothly. Lemme get caught up on what the plan is, and Ill get started on this boss fight.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

To answer your questions, yes, we can become Rogue Trader/Inquisitor Lord/Master of Mars. All depends on where we want the story to go. And yes, all roles have very nice hats.

I got to spend the last few days doing XCOM, which was pretty fun. Im now picturing this post in grid squares.

Red and Blue Laser Beams

Praise the Omnissiah and pass the ammunition, as they say. With a shriek of tortured binary, your internal machinery still disoriented by the sheet wrongness of the Thing before you, you give the order to launch your servitors before you. They weren’t combat servitors by any means, lacking the programs and weapons of those fine machines, but they might do well as a delaying measure. In the same breath, you alert your Lord Sire. “Wardens moving to contact with warp incursion. I am pursuing xeno to nutrient vats.”

With a clump of heavy feet, the servitors shuffled their way towards the altercation. With inhuman strength, they tear bars away from the walkway, raising blunt and jagged objects of violence towards the Great Enemy. Their golden eyes and buzzing voices rose hauntingly as they sang their death dirges - perhaps some remnant of sentience remaining in their cauterized brains. Briefly, you remember who they were in life. Pilgrims, come to this place between the stars. Devoted to fighting the Heretek of the Iron Men, they died under the blades of the recycling tanks. And now they were going to die again, perhaps their final death.

The daemon was already a blur, outlined in the horrific fires of the Grey Guards’ immolators. You can see its form shrieking in the heat, skin melting away so beautifully. You are dazzled by the purity of it, the sheer sensations it must be feeling at the moment, and then you shake your head forcefully. Best to be on your way. Let the Wardens weaken it a bit further, hold it in place for the Lord-Sire to destroy it. For that matter, you needed to see what the xeno had done here, in this place.

The nutrient vats and recycling tanks were among the holiest of places aboard ship, a sanctum of technology most sacred. That didn’t mean, however, that five millennia or more hadn’t taken their toll on the place. There were metals here from planets that no longer had names, pumps and dials that had only the most arcane meaning, even to the wisest. While the principles of hydraulics might be known to the Tech-Priests, the idiosyncrasies of this Machine-Spirit could still be … temperamental.

Above the vats, a thousand pipes of varying sizes. A strange ecosystem lived there, creatures that had never really been investigated. Glow-cats and their prey - glow-cats and their predators. Flours hissed at them, ears flared, fur raised. You could see their shadows flitting about, ignoring the fight below them, as they ignored all things. Strange creatures flapped or soared or fell, proto-wings working frantically. The chirping of their lives was almost louder than the machinery, now that you were up here.

The walkways themselves were a mess. Originally installed with the vats, they had suffered a thousand battles, been replaced, worn out, decayed, shifted, or ad-hocced into permanent solutions, a contradictory labyrinth that changed elevations and turned in itself. The walkways passed through rusting and decrepit vats, rose into the pipes where creatures sang hauntingly, and back down again into useful sniper’s nests. You could see the battle still occurring intermittently from there, flashes of light and the occasional explosion. Noises echoed eerily here - the buzzing of power swords and hymns to the God-Emperor turning into a strange and unexpected music.

Seemingly out of nowhere, a gap in the machinery. In its center, the nutrient mixing vat, a massive device that processed tens of thousands of liters at a time. It turned the most base components and chemicals into a product that was only slightly less base, only barely interested in things such as ‘taste’. Instead, it was a simple compound of proteins that would keep a Dreg alive for their labors, even though they probably didn’t want to be after eating it. You could see the individual vats above it, pouring sickly. Ancient paint on them, in a language you barely recognized, labeled them ‘fat’, ‘sucralose’, ‘protein’, and others you were less able to identify.

The center stem was a large spinning device, blunt blades the sizes of a train carriage. It idly whirred through the lake of materials, the sound of spinning liquids deafening this close. As your squad spread out behind pipes to observe, you noticed an outlier in the frame of the mixer. Some sort of cocoon, made of paraffin and honey. It appeared to be open, leaking, perhaps damaged in some way. The material floated down, lazily swirling through the lake.

What do you do?

A Open the Pipes! The vat is contaminated, and needs to be spilled out for later cleansing.
B It has to have a regular cleansing cycle just for maintenance and hygiene. Find out where it is and turn it on, the bleach should fix things easy enough.
C Fire is the most cleansing. Ignite the sugar/fat chambers.
D Fish the cocoon out with local equipment and retain it for further study.
E Something Else

-

This post is mostly atmospherics, but I like it.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

B is for Bleach.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Welcome back! B

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Bleach is good for cleansing.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Please, we don't know that bleach would do anything.

Purge the vAt

chin up everything sucks fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Dec 25, 2014

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
If the cocoon's open, the thing is already loose. Start the Bleach cycle, but let's look around for the xeno.... spread out into squads, shout if you find anything.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

VanSandman posted:

If the cocoon's open, the thing is already loose. Start the Bleach cycle, but let's look around for the xeno.... spread out into squads, shout if you find anything.

Agreed bleach for the carrier vector, guns for the xeno.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
B Merry Christmas Lowell. :allears:

Omnissiah preserve us, everyone!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Beautiful update.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
I feel like it isn't guaranteed to be as thorough as we might want, but all the other options are either too destructive or risk getting it on us. B it is. A system like this is probably designed with a powerful enough clean cycle to qualify as a chemical weapon anyway.

e: changed vote below

Ralith fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Dec 25, 2014

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

B, but get that mutagen away from the system and burn it. Then hunt that xeno down.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

We can't take the risk. If we're wrong about the bleach, we lose everything. If we purge this vat we can be certain we eliminate the infection.

EDIT: Vote changed below

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Dec 25, 2014

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
Yeah on second thought let's play it safe with the xeno. Changing to A

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
D.+ A Science!

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

This is the correct answer. Why would we waste such a good opportunity to learn?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
LEARNING!?!? Sounds like some kinda super heresy to me bucko.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Hell yeah. I love this writing style.

D then B.