Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Grognan posted:

You realize that our in-character actions have done things magnitudes worse than anything Amacita ever did right? Like instead of accidentally helping a cult we killed a good part of the Imperium.
All for the sake of a better future. Terrible things have to be done in order to change the status quo of this galaxy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
lowell rename this thread to 'in the warp, no one can hear you make increasingly poor decisions'

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
There is an idea of an Ohone, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there. It is hard for me to make sense on any given level. Myself is fabricated, an aberration. I am a noncontingent human being. My personality is sketchy and unformed, my heartlessness goes deep and is persistent. My conscience, my pity, my hopes disappeared a long time ago (probably at Agatha's World) if they ever did exist. There are no more barriers to cross. All I have in common with the uncontrollable and the insane, the vicious and the evil, all the mayhem I have caused and my utter indifference toward it, I have now surpassed. I still, though, hold on to one single bleak truth: no one is safe, nothing is redeemed. Yet I am blameless. Each model of human behavior must be assumed to have some validity. Is evil something you are? Or is it something you do? My pain is constant and sharp and I do not hope for a better world for anyone. In fact, I want my pain to be inflicted on others. I want no one to escape. But even after admitting this—and I have countless times, in just about every act I’ve committed—and coming face-to-face with these truths, there is no catharsis. I gain no deeper knowledge about myself, no new understanding can be extracted from my telling. There has been no reason for me to tell you any of this. This confession has meant nothing.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

What?

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

poor life choice posted:

There is an idea of an Ohone, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there. It is hard for me to make sense on any given level. Myself is fabricated, an aberration. I am a noncontingent human being. My personality is sketchy and unformed, my heartlessness goes deep and is persistent. My conscience, my pity, my hopes disappeared a long time ago (probably at Agatha's World) if they ever did exist. There are no more barriers to cross. All I have in common with the uncontrollable and the insane, the vicious and the evil, all the mayhem I have caused and my utter indifference toward it, I have now surpassed. I still, though, hold on to one single bleak truth: no one is safe, nothing is redeemed. Yet I am blameless. Each model of human behavior must be assumed to have some validity. Is evil something you are? Or is it something you do? My pain is constant and sharp and I do not hope for a better world for anyone. In fact, I want my pain to be inflicted on others. I want no one to escape. But even after admitting this—and I have countless times, in just about every act I’ve committed—and coming face-to-face with these truths, there is no catharsis. I gain no deeper knowledge about myself, no new understanding can be extracted from my telling. There has been no reason for me to tell you any of this. This confession has meant nothing.

:perfect:

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Slice of Life: Speaking of Space Dad

How many days has it been? They’ve been on the run from the hunters.Now tired, hungry, and hopelessly lost, the pair pushes onwards into the dephs of the Beast. Just when they thought they were in the clear. Just when they thought the worst was finally over, the ship goes insane. The deeps were burning and they were on the run. She sighs and looks back, wondering if their pursuers were still on their trail. But all she sees is a dark, cramped tunnel full of machinery and loose wires and who knows what else. This should have bothered her, she used to hate small spaces, but things are different now.

So different.

Salmari hears her partner, friend now she supposes, call out from ahead.

“Hey I see something”

“What is it?”

“I don’t know, but the lights are on.”

“How’d you get in here?”

They were standing in a very nice cabin. Glittering, elegant, it almost felt like home again. How’d this get here? And powered with apparently all the luxuries of Alpha deck? She’d like nothing more than to investigate, for perfectly innocent reasons of course, but there were more pressing matters at hand.

They were surrounded by what appeared to be servants, but who knows what augments they might be hiding. She can see her partne--friend anxiously reaching for her sword. A piece of scrap metal really, but that woman used it quite effectively. Imagine what she could do with a real weapon…

Then she recognised the man who had spoken, and that she should probably be the one to answer him.

“Uncle, the family codes still worked. I thought you were dead?”

“Salmari. I’ve heard you’re dead as well.”

She shrugs, it might as well be true. It’s not like she’s Family anymore.

He continued, “Now this is very inconvenient, I worked very hard to hide away here. I can’t exactly have you running back to tell everyone.”

Was that the sound of weapons arming? She couldn’t see anything. drat this was risky, but she had to act fast. She pulls down her hood.

“I don’t think you need to worry about that Uncle.”

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

JT Jag posted:

All for the sake of a better future. Terrible things have to be done in order to change the status quo of this galaxy.

We can only use that excuse if it has worked out better in the end. Even then we are an rear end in a top hat.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

A) Wow, a vote on whether we kill our childhood friend lasts less than 24 hours, that's rather lovely.

B) Good job Arkanomen et al. you've managed to kill the person who stood up and did our dirty work when we didn't feel like it. The worst part of it is that you did it by essentially writing bad fanfiction about how she was supposedly trying to usurp us, and even after it was clear that she wasn't and you had killed her people then criticise her for not making the power play and being the good person that she was.
Good job guys, you killed the last good person in the entirety of 40K.

I am somewhat disgusted/disappointed by the thread atm.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
Arkanomen was right. Amacita meant well. She had some good points. It wasn't enough.

Promote Limosa. Dude was always the competent one.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
The problem with limosa is that I think we're usually more inclined to use him for inquisitorial business, which doesn't always lend itself all that well to profit.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

reignonyourparade posted:

The problem with limosa is that I think we're usually more inclined to use him for inquisitorial business, which doesn't always lend itself all that well to profit.

I think Limosa being in charge of the ship locks down that the ship's focus isn't profit, but rather "Whatever Ohone wants."

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

sheep-dodger posted:

A) Wow, a vote on whether we kill our childhood friend lasts less than 24 hours, that's rather lovely.

B) Good job Arkanomen et al. you've managed to kill the person who stood up and did our dirty work when we didn't feel like it. The worst part of it is that you did it by essentially writing bad fanfiction about how she was supposedly trying to usurp us, and even after it was clear that she wasn't and you had killed her people then criticise her for not making the power play and being the good person that she was.

Nothing I wrote was fan-fiction besides the Travis stories. Everything in my initial letter was couching my suspicions and arguments in something other than a huge Tomn post. Please quote where I "made poo poo up" that was not speculation. And do you think that if I was making poo poo up the GM would have stepped in saying "that's wrong", so get the gently caress off my dick about it, it's a game, relax. Go report me for playing wrong.

Christ you people are acting like we killed Ghandi. She died because she was an idiot. Sorry, goodness and a heart of gold doesn't get you poo poo in this world. She did her job, big whoop. We're Lordsire for a reason. Today the ship was reminded of that. Killing Amacita is the correct call in this world when someone challenges your authority like that. Whatever, we killed an npc who really didn't matter. Let's move on.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
lol you killed the only hard-working, competent, sane person on the ship, who was a threat only because Ohone is played as a dangerously irresponsible, bloodthirsty doofus who is probably going to ruin not only the dynasty but the whole galaxy.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Nah she was ALSO a threat because she was the galaxy's worst judge of character and it was only a matter of time before the next abraxus or devries came along.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Who cares about the Dynasty? We have the literal founder under house arrest, it means nothing now. And the galaxy is already hosed. I'm loving the moral outrage over Amacita but not the untold trillions of lives our enormous lie about Golgotha is causing and will cost going forward.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
It is sad that she had to die. If we'd been smarter we could have squirreled her away somewhere she couldn't do any harm. Hell, if we'd been smarter, an entire paradise planet would still exist. None of that changes that she had to die, and that her death is irrelevant on the scale we're playing now.

We have other competent people on the ship. It's time for them to step up. We should probably make a point of publicly angrily chastising them without killing anyone for not taking initiative to stop her so as to relax people a bit.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Skellybones posted:

lol you killed the only hard-working, competent, sane person on the ship, who was a threat only because Ohone is played as a dangerously irresponsible, bloodthirsty doofus who is probably going to ruin not only the dynasty but the whole galaxy.

We are talking about Amacita right? The woman who joined a chaos cult that succesfully summoned a daemon to the ship. The woman who married Devries. The woman who came under the influence of a warp artifact and then managed to run around the ship like a headless chicken while invisible.
Despite her being a bigot we saved her from herself several times, and the way she chose to thanks us was to try to take command over the ship, and disrespect us for no reason.
If anything we were too nice to her.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Skellybones posted:

Hard-working? Maybe. In fact, sure, I'll give you that one.

But competent and sane? She was, at most, only one of those.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

:munch:

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

JT Jag posted:

I think she was both, but unfortunately only one at a time. (And yes, sometimes neither.)

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Arkanomen posted:

Nothing I wrote was fan-fiction besides the Travis stories. Everything in my initial letter was couching my suspicions and arguments in something other than a huge Tomn post. Please quote where I "made poo poo up" that was not speculation. And do you think that if I was making poo poo up the GM would have stepped in saying "that's wrong", so get the gently caress off my dick about it, it's a game, relax. Go report me for playing wrong.
Lowell made it clear that we have the opportunity to write in the universe, I'm not going to complain about him giving that opportunity, I am complaining about you using that opportunity to run a month long smear campaign against a character you don't like to get her killed without much more than conjecture as evidence.
Now it's been decided and we have to move on, so I won't post more about it, but you certainly took away from my enjoyment of the game.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Arkanomen posted:

I'm loving the moral outrage over Amacita but not the untold trillions of lives our enormous lie about Golgotha is causing and will cost going forward.

It's not like Lowell will give an individual bio and humanizing story to every individual on Golgotha, right?

:ohdear:

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Arkanomen posted:

Who cares about the Dynasty? We have the literal founder under house arrest, it means nothing now. And the galaxy is already hosed. I'm loving the moral outrage over Amacita but not the untold trillions of lives our enormous lie about Golgotha is causing and will cost going forward.
It's not a lie, in the strictest sense.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Let's at least give the girl a musical sendoff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=439xxRuMTcE

If it were within, within our power
Beyond the reach of slavish pride
To no longer harbor grievances
Behind the masked opportunist's facade

We could welcome the responsibility
Like a long lost friend
And reestablish laughter
In the dolls house once again

For the time has imprisoned us

In the order of our years
In the discipline of our ways
And in the passing of momentary stillness

We can see our chaos in motion
Our chaos in motion
We can see our chaos in motion
View our chaos in motion

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

sheep-dodger posted:

Wouldn't be 40k if this didn't happen, if you think about it

Arkanomen posted:

Amacita's heart was in the right place

If it helps it's in an even better place now- crushed in our iron fist :v:

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
"Man, even if Amacita WASN'T an evil Chaos cultist usurper (and she still may have been just saying!) she was totally stupid to just challenge us like that what was she thinking?"

Well, after...

- Watching all her friends and the people she tried to help get purged in hellfire after discovering that they were being indoctrinated into a Chaos cult
- Going into a fairy-tale wedding that became a nightmare of drug abuse and gaslighting
- Vanishing from the world, able to see all the horrors around her but not being able to do anything about it or even communicate with others
- Seeing her fears about the Magos proved right in the worst way after having all her warnings ignored
- Coming back to sanity and reality to find a ship whose governing philosophy was in many ways very much the opposite of hers
- Ending up being the person who takes charge of things, more or less alone, after being left to drift without direction for years by a Rogue Trader concerned with matters far more important than keeping the ship running

I'm going to guess that what happened was that she finally lost her temper. People have emotions and desires and can act irrationally when placed under enough stress, what a shock! But now that we've killed Amacita - surely the sole architect of all our woes, worries, and fears - we don't ever have to worry about OTHER people with OTHER emotions and desires and stresses ever again, right? They're all going to line up like good little robots to fulfill our every mad whim and fade into the background whenever we stop thinking about them because all NPCs exist solely for our own benefit and for no other reason and can always be safely ignored without consequences, right?

Right???

Tomn fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Nov 7, 2015

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

JT Jag posted:

Hard-working? Maybe. In fact, sure, I'll give you that one.

Ok, relative to the other people on the ship I mean.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

I'd like to note that paranoid purges actually serve Tzeentch, BTW. Either...

- We remain loyal to the Imperium in one form or another but have no intelligent subordinates with any real degree of initiative left (because they fear one misstep will lead to us BLAMing them)

- We have a ship full of sheep who will follow us mindlessly into the worship of Chaos

And that assumes that purging serves its purpose in the first place, instead of plunging the ship into the lower-case chaos of either civil war or the sheer disruption that occurs when you decapitate the local bureaucracy without having prepared a replacement in any way.

One way or another, the birdbrain is laughing his rear end off at us now. He didn't even have to DO anything.

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
The Beast's dynasty died out a long time ago; Amacita was a loose end that needed to be tied up. Besides the need for cash to keep her personal crusade going, Profit Factor became meaningless around the time Ohone realized that Athena could be used to counteract the empire's state of decay. Amacita would have been a useful tool to rake in space dollars, but she would have been a liability. Golgotha is going to be swarmed by mankind's enemies and they are going to use just about every trick they can think of to steer us wrong. Cousin dearest's biggest flaws were her ability to give a drat about others and her gullibility. Had she been in a position of power, that would have been an open invitation for disaster.

Ohone is a ruthless psychopath, which unburdens her to make the difficult decisions that will undoubtedly lay ahead.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

reignonyourparade posted:

Nah she was ALSO a threat because she was the galaxy's worst judge of character and it was only a matter of time before the next abraxus or devries came along.

As much as I enjoyed her and liked her being alive, this is 100% true. She had no goddamn street smarts at ALL.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Hexenritter posted:

I'm assuming he was the unfortunate schmuck that someone opportunistically shoved in front of the las blast earlier. It just strikes me as the kind of thing you'd do to someone you fundamentally loathe with every fibre of your being.

Makes sense to me. If Amanita had lived, it would have been one of her bodyguards, but I rather want this to be tidy.

The finale of American Psycho.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Tomn posted:

- We remain loyal to the Imperium in one form or another but have no intelligent subordinates with any real degree of initiative left (because they fear one misstep will lead to us BLAMing them)

We have our tribunes for what it's worth.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Lowell... you have fabricated a world within an existing universe where the death of a supporting NPC is causing this much discussion. drat it must feel good to be a gangsta.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Lowell... you have fabricated a world within an existing universe where the death of a supporting NPC is causing this much discussion. drat it must feel good to be a gangsta.

It really does :3: Im sad about Amanita, I thought she might make it to the finale, but that so many people are this invested warms my heart :3:

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011
We did exactly the minimum necessary here to cover up our own gently caress-ups. The way we honestly roll, this was going to be inevitable. We have no room for bleeding hearts, that's a weakness of the flesh.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

HiHo ChiRho posted:

We have our tribunes for what it's worth.

A reminder that whenever a tribune does something that warrants our attention, almost our first response is to argue about whether or not to kill them because <insert rampant paranoia here>.

Hell, recently we tazed a tribune for the crime of being too cocky when he tried to bring himself to our attention.

Serious question, how many tribunes are there has Ohone actively voted to grant more than squad-level authority? Or any official authority at all? I've honestly stopped keeping track of the buggers.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
It's about time we purged Amacita. She had good intentions, but her execution was always terrible. We have no time for that.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Tomn posted:

Serious question, how many tribunes are there has Ohone actively voted to grant more than squad-level authority? Or any official authority at all? I've honestly stopped keeping track of the buggers.

The littlesire, mostly.

Of course, we also haven't really had much chance to interact with the tribunes, really.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Tomn posted:

A reminder that whenever a tribune does something that warrants our attention, almost our first response is to argue about whether or not to kill them because <insert rampant paranoia here>.

Hell, recently we tazed a tribune for the crime of being too cocky when he tried to bring himself to our attention.

Yeah, I think this should kind of be a wake up call to Ohone to start utilizing the Tribunes more than just goon squads. She's done the purging, but never really filled the leadership gaps aside from Death Cults and Kreig.

You know you want a 10 year old Domine Rex Adelaide, don't deny it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Haystack posted:

The littlesire, mostly.

Of course, we also haven't really had much chance to interact with the tribunes, really.

Technically we didn't promote him :v:

But moderate power players who still survive include:

The small council
Limosa/Edourd
Heirophant Isaac
Young Henderson (preacher, learned under erasmus, connection)
Colonel Wolfgang (officer and gentleman)
Katarina Ehrnrooth sister famulous (bene gesserit)
Colonel Astri
Eleonora
Luckas

Outer Circle
Caroline the Sage
The Dwarf
Ching Shih
Athena
Jeb

Other Tribunes
Little Sire
Adelaide